Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
He drops his flaming two hander and his armor.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty.
The only stuff worth looting there is the stuff that the demon drops.

Shiiet you can kill the demon?
yes, his 2h sword is probably best you can get for like half of the game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You know something's out of place when it feels out of place in a kitchen sink fantasy setting.
The problem is more that they look like aliens but behave like 21st century modern western humans

That too, very true.

The way Karlach describes Avernus it's like she's been on a somewhat tour in Iraq for a couple years.

I think its there for possibly two reason, one as an overcorrection to perceived "exoticism is racism" by woke crowds so instead of making foreign and alien creatures exotic and alien, they act like everybody is the same, which is utterly inane especially in a bonkers fantasy setting, the second reason might be that they actually believe the first reason to be correct (and not just for woke reasons) because whoever wrote this didn't travel much and hasn't really lived in other cultures hence thinks people from other cultures are actually very much the same all over except on the surface, which is amusingly wrong-headed.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As the storiest of storyfags I love all the bits and pieces they put in there for the people who read all the text, like this from the little shrine to Lathander near the creche:
View attachment 39837
They're really good at there always being something everywhere you go, even if it's small and silly, and it makes the gameworld feel so much more alive than the big sprawling voids that a lot of other games have.
Did you read the goblin's love letter to the Drow? :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm on tact8ician
Lawl, i had to redo the last fight in the tutorial three times because i HAD to loot everything but that stupid Ilithid kept getting killed by the demon who then proceeded to wreck my party members, so i just resorted to leave the Gollum brain behind as cannon fodder while i made my escape with the booty.

Maybe i should leave it alone that sounds i'm going to fuck with the difficulty for the early acts.

I'm on tactician btw.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You know something's out of place when it feels out of place in a kitchen sink fantasy setting.
The problem is more that they look like aliens but behave like 21st century modern western humans

That too, very true.

The way Karlach describes Avernus it's like she's been on a somewhat tour in Iraq for a couple years.

I think its there for possibly two reason, one as an overcorrection to perceived "exoticism is racism" by woke crowds so instead of making foreign and alien creatures exotic and alien, they act like everybody is the same, which is utterly inane especially in a bonkers fantasy setting, the second reason might be that they actually believe the first reason to be correct (and not just for woke reasons) because whoever wrote this didn't travel much and hasn't really lived in other cultures hence thinks people from other cultures are actually very much the same all over except on the surface, which is amusingly wrong-headed.
hey, judging by how they behave in the grove writer at least encountered moslems and gypsies.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm on tact8ician

Maybe i should leave it alone that sounds i'm going to fuck with the difficulty for the early acts.

I'm on tactician btw.
it's not THAT good, it's just adds some direct damage to your hits, which is better than most weapons in the game.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I'm pissed off they changed Karlach's face from what it was originally. That face, coupled with her writing and VA, would have been hilarious.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Man, I really dont know what Larian was thinking when designing the difficulty.

Tactician has stat bloat, but smart AI.
Balanced has no stat bloat but also no smart AI.

Why was it not possible to give us Smart AI (enemies using new skills for example) and no stat bloat? Why does everything always have to be fucking number bloated in these games. ffs

Also, some encounters are just way too hard on Tactician if you try to RP. If you try to immediately follow La'zael to find her way to cure ourselves, you are immediately greeted by four fucking LVL5 warriors. Same goes with the Harpies. right next to the druid grove. They are LVL4, you are, if you're lucky, LVL3. But you're also outnumbered, and they have the advantage. Absolutely silly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That too, very true.

I don't actually think woke has much do to with this issue in particular. It rather seems to me like everyone-is-special-syndrome, the same inane shit that gave us the Dragonborn to begin with.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It's still too early for me to really make a judgement on this, but I can tell you all sincerely that I found kangmaker to be more engaging and feel more like a BG game, and that I had way more fun playing Solasta recently.

There's also something about this game that just makes me uneasy, like I'm being forced to watch a scene of a homosexual nightclub when they're all hopped up on meth and poppers. It's very, brazenly gay in a way that makes previous RPGs just look like tokenism.

Hoping this gets better and quickly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My casual gamer friends have begun playing this and like 70% of them fall for the miscommunication that makes people believe they do *either* Underdark *or* Mountain Pass, and as a result they're underleveled when they reach Act 2.

Larian really screwed up with that shit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

Well, killing it is quite a challenge, particularly on Tactician I guess.

Using a spell to force it to drop its weapon however...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

Well, killing it is quite a challenge

It's the hardest fight of the game so far and it's not even remotely close

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

MUCH easier on balanced. iirc he loses second attack and reinforcements forget how to fly so you can spend one more turn kicking his ass.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

MUCH easier on balanced. iirc he loses second attack and reinforcements forget how to fly so you can spend one more turn kicking his ass.

Also has less HP and AC on balanced

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

balanced is completely different game. devourers don't pew-pew, entombed scribes don't throw darkness to fuck up your melees and instead just spam silence. dropped it there.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
You say we’re mad about bestiality, we say we’re sad about the codex slurping down the most egregious popamole shameless
Ah yes, the grognard Latro, posting extensively about RPGs! Thank goodness we have such posters to battle the decline. Wait...

Anyway, if you bothered to play the game you so vehemently rail against, you'd understand that despite the popularity of it, it does many things quite well. Your problem with it is most likely that a lot of people are playing it and that it has some things that you morally object to. If you look at it in the context of the series that it belongs to, yes, it is a much more complex game than BG 1 and 2. And I say that as a fan of both.

So you should either play it and form an informed and well-articulated opinion about it, or stow the hipsterism and start posting about more "worthy" RPGs. Good lord, we need it around here, right?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

balanced is completely different game. devourers don't pew-pew, entombed scribes don't throw darkness to fuck up your melees and instead just spam silence. dropped it there.

Also even though 'dexers who haven't played it meme the "lol enemies get fire arrows"-quote, the upgraded ammo and consumables enemies get feel more impactful than the stat-upgrades. I generally don't fear enemies in this game, but a gnoll popping a fire arrow into grease is a TPK-threat whereas the same gnoll without it is just whatever. Or the ones freezing you in wet areas - can be deadly.

The single coolest Tactician interaction I've seen, though - maybe the coolest fucking RPG AI design I've ever seen - is the fact that the Displacer Beast teleports you into your own AoE duration spells tactically. Good shit :D

Game is still way too easy unfortunately, but the skeleton is there. A difficulty mod should be pretty easy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm on tact8ician

I'm on tactician btw.

Well, killing it is quite a challenge, particularly on Tactician I guess.

Using a spell to force it to drop its weapon however...

I'll just leave it alone. Don't want to get bogged down by this kind of shit lest i get sick of the game in the middle of it and quit like i did with Pillars.

Shaki

Arbiter
Fake news, there are these throwing bombs lying everywhere, the ones with acid/bleed suck ass, but void bulbs are OP and worth looting even more than the demon sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom