Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wtf is up with the Strange Ox :lol:

It turned into an ooze when I failed a check. No idea what its deal is :S

Yeah same happened to me.

The "romance" in this game is (beyond the usual) retarded though.

Every single male companion has tried to seduce me so far, but the only female (if that's even the term) is the githyanki who said something :lol:

Wyll Riverdancing like a faggot and aked to join him - I'm not falling for that one again, not after the Gayl incident.

Terenty

Liturgist
What the hell happened to the lighting and contrast in this game? Compare this early access:

to this release:

Who the fuck thought the final washed out bright colors look better? And it doesn't look like a graphics downgrade where they downgraded the rendering engine or what not, but an artistic choice?

Shit I wonder if mods can reverse it back

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
What the hell happened to the lighting and contrast in this game? Compare this early access:

to this release:

Who the fuck thought the final washed out bright colors look better? And it doesn't look like a graphics downgrade where they downgraded the rendering engine or what not, but an artistic choice?

Larian decided it was a hot day with a lot of sunshine. (also could explain why companions are so horny)

Alex

Arcane
That's a cope
Well, truth is could go either way. But I’m more responding to the charge that I dislike it for moral reasons instead of the fact Larian sucks and shill campaigns piss me off
To be fair, I find the moral reasoning to not even try this pretty compelling. The world is bad enough without paying for degeneracy such as bear sex or penis a and b or gay companions or 5e.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

to this release:

Larian decided it was a hot day with a lot of sunshine. (also could explain why companions are so horny)

They changed lighting during the EA, I think patch 8? But I might misremember the version. I forgot what the reasoning was, but the overall response from players was rather negative. They rolled with it though anyway, it seems. In early EA Underdark was a DARK cavern where your sight was limited by torches/darkvision, now it looks like barely an evening outside. It was a total disaster in my opinion, but I expected them to fiddle and correct this. They didn't.

Sòren

Arcane
anyone been to Baldurs Gate already? what's the city like? a lot to explore, interesting?

just

Liturgist
anyone been to Baldurs Gate already? what's the city like? a lot to explore, interesting?
it's big, but comes too late i think
you're lvl 11, completely geared up, everything ready for the final boss
why would you go looking for missing cats and unlocking crates for scrolls
unless you're some kind of autist who has to click on every door and crate

just

Liturgist
so a typical RPG player
look, a house
i can enter without anyone seeing me fuck yeah
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
oooh another scroll of talking to the dead, just what gale needs
*ping* perception check success
secret fucking hatch oh boy we're eating today
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
oooh another scroll of invisibility AND a supply pack, thats what im talking about
was it worth it? not really, i dont know, 2 fucking scrolls, +1 dagger and some food, i'll probably skip the next one
step 1

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
People don't like one class based on the Far East, in a setting full of Middle Eastern influences. Interesting.
:hmmm:
The Middle East has always been strongly tied to European history, so influences are certainly not out of place. Far East shit is, though. It's utterly alien.

Hey fellow Volksgenosse,

I need to correct you a bit on this, as this is my field of expertise (Archeologist).

Not only do we know about established trade ties with asian countries over the silk road reaching back to the vikings age (which is documented through artifacts from said cultures found in viking trading posts and graves), there were also numerous invasions from Asian cultures that left quite a hefty mark on early medieval and medieval Europe.

The Huns for example marked the beginning of the Völkerwanderungszeit and ushered in the early medieval time period. The german folk mythos, the Nibelungenlied, tells about how impactful that must have been to germanics and romans alike back then. The Goths for example got some cultural impact from the huns and started shaping and deform their skulls with ropes to appear longer in the likes of the huns. Oh, and they also brought the composite bow to the West and revolutionized western warfare, which is also a staple in D&D.

After that you have Mongols invading Europe all the time in the 13th and 14th century, which is pretty much THE high medieval times. They made it as far as to the east parts of the Holy Roman Empire, which is why some cities in Saxony (Meißen as an example) are built as "fortified labyrinths" to better fend them of.

You can see the same fortified towns in Siebenbürgen (Romania) and Hungary, both countries also heavily under attack from the Golden Horde.

Most of Eastern Europe and Russia were heavily devastated by mongols and their was a lot of raping. Russian nobility was aligned for quite some time with the Golden Horde in fragile alliances. Tithes to the asian overlords had to be paid. Which suits, because as we all know, slavs always need the boot to be kept happy.

Does that justify asian type monks in European setting? At least as much as jinns and Devas and the like, I would say. It is totally in the book a medieval person could've encountered some sort of asian spirituality (probably a pyramid of skulls, but more likely in shamanism).

Last edited:

Kiste

Augur
look, a house
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
oooh another scroll of invisibility AND a supply pack, thats what im talking about
was it worth it? not really, i dont know, 2 fucking scrolls, +1 dagger and some food, i'll probably skip the next one
step 1

Here's the TES version of it:

Look, another cave
I enter it because that's what I am supposed to do
Look, 3 enemies
I one-shot them from stealth with my bow
Lots of garbage stewn around the room
I walk further into the cave
I see a very obvious tripwire. It's a trap!
I jump over it
I reach the end of the cave
Someone has placed a chest there
The chest is locked
I play the mini game for the 1000th time
I unlock the chest
I'm at the edge of my seat now
I find a cheese wheel, a spoon and 3 gold coins
Was it worth it? Not really, i dont know, a cheese wheel, a spoon and 3 gold coins, i'll probably skip the next one
Step 1

Sòren

Arcane
so a typical RPG player
look, a house
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
look, a chest
it's trapped
roll
it's locked
roll
step 1

sounds like the problem - besides arriving too late to the party - is also that it lacks interesting content.

btw wasn't the city pretty late game in BG1 as well (i enjoyed that however)? some comments here make me believe that Larian indeed took a lot of inspiration from that for their game design.

FalloutBR

Educated
3Yf6pFQ.png

Yeah, most of the female character models in the game are quite on the ugly side... :|

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
That's a cope
Well, truth is could go either way. But I’m more responding to the charge that I dislike it for moral reasons instead of the fact Larian sucks and shill campaigns piss me off
To be fair, I find the moral reasoning to not even try this pretty compelling. The world is bad enough without paying for degeneracy such as bear sex or penis a and b or gay companions or 5e.
Thats so funny coming from Brazil, the nation of trannys.

ColonelMace

Educated
The whole refugee situation is directly taken from WOTC official material "Descent to Avernus". Same as pretty much all that relates to Zariel.
well, we're officially in wtf land

NBKTYAR.jpg
Finally, a trve rpg for 60 IQ journalists and trve codex grognardz
Fallacious pseudo argument.
Journos being retarded matters fuck all about BG metascore being good news for the genre.
Even if it'd be possible to prove that the crushing majority of ratings are motivated by coomers, degenerates and useful idiots who praise whatever shit aspect of the game they're really enthusiastic to have found in it, it'd still matter fuck all to this metascore being great news overall. Because beside this shit, the game still features tons of reasons to rejoice as grognards.

Getting tired of people focusing on the worst, to the point of shitting over an occurence that would have been unanimously praised and celebrated back in the age of the founding of this website.

BGIII is neither the DAO or the Oblivion of its own kind. It's a proper iteration of what any crpg fan would love to see succeed financially. It's not about liking every side of its game design. I for one still hate this 3D environnent with quasi free camera shit which brings me horrendous memories of both NWN games. It's about understanding what's good for the state of crpgs and what's not.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't read much nor did I play any of the EA. Plan on giving this a go when I build my new rig next week. However, the little I have read says that right now this is more of a "Sexual harassment simulator" with you the player being the target of said harassment. Everyone hits on you / wants to sleep with you constantly anytime you choose a nice dialogue response? True / hyperbole? If so does this game allow you to create your own party like Icewind Dale to avoid this cringe?

ColonelMace

Educated
Haven't read much nor did I play any of the EA. Plan on giving this a go when I build my new rig next week. However, the little I have read says that right now this is more of a "Sexual harassment simulator" with you the player being the target of said harassment. Everyone hits on you / wants to sleep with you constantly anytime you choose a nice dialogue response? True / hyperbole? If so does this game allow you to create your own party like Icewind Dale to avoid this cringe?
Just shut down companions. Or even better, play without them.
This is a complete non issue, really...

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
It's hyperbole but you have to be cold towards your companions. Don't let them dance with you or or teach you magic. You can hire hirelings. They come with a base class but you can respec them and do whatever you want with them, only problem is you need to do an early quest to unlock it. First tomb you find on the beach unlocks the hireling/respec NPC.

just

Liturgist
cant create your own party but let me tell you about the people you can hire

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom