Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Shaki

Arbiter
Is the Cuckdex ready for a post BG3 world?

afbeelding.png
Yes I cant wait to see all the trannies and animal sex options Todd managed to add in a month, to beat BG3

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
BG3 is a new type of RPG, the deep RPG.

Yes I made a new type of game genre, my genius knows no bounds.

The gaming world is transitioning to a new world, Larian is at the spearhead of this revolution and will be resented for it but without this push the gaming world will not survive.

volklore

Arcane
GameStar.de just released the final review, which is only publically accessible until later today.

They gave it a score of 95% (with a current deduction of 5 points due to heavy bugs in Act3). That's the highest score *any* game ever got in the magazine's 25 year existence.

Bravo Swen !
People are going to look back at this game in two months and be embarrassed they gave perfect scores to this on FOMO alone
Isn't that the typical cycle of modern gaming.
1) A generally good/decent game comes out, here comes all the 10 minutes videos ''best game ever'' ''defines new standards'' ''there will be a before and after'' videos hyping it to insanity.
2) 1-2 month into the release, people start making 2-3hour long video essays on how ''The game is not as good as people say'' ''it's not perfect''
3) A new game comes out, start all over again.

Pretty sure the exact same shit happened with elden ring .

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
GameStar.de just released the final review, which is only publically accessible until later today.

They gave it a score of 95% (with a current deduction of 5 points due to heavy bugs in Act3). That's the highest score *any* game ever got in the magazine's 25 year existence.

Bravo Swen !
People are going to look back at this game in two months and be embarrassed they gave perfect scores to this on FOMO alone
Isn't that the typical cycle of modern gaming.
1) A generally good/decent game comes out, here comes all the 10 minutes videos ''best game ever'' ''defines new standards'' ''there will be a before and after'' videos hyping it to insanity.
2) 1-2 month into the release, people start making 2-3hour long video essays on how ''The game is not as good as people say'' ''it's not perfect''
3) A new game comes out, start all over again.

Pretty sure the exact same shit happened with elden ring .
Videogame discussions have become this weird tribalistic thing where huge swaths of people batting their heads about as if we are talking science or politics while in reality games have always been fun entertainment for cheap buck.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there another instance of a modern sequel completely dominating a classic? I can't think of a thing that was done better in BG2, even the flaws of BG3 were worse in BG2
Fact, not opinion. Resident transsexuals are shocked and appalled other gays than David Gayder write games.
Equally shocked to find they liked BG2 only because they were kids at the time, and would consider it shit if it released today, by their own criteria.

random_name

Novice
Talking to the lady who rightfully doesn't want refugees in her land and for the first time one of the replies is just to attack her out of nowhere as it's the right thing to do. She's also ready to kill a child just to reinforce the message that she's evil. Would be easier to discuss videogames if they weren't propaganda.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the Cuckdex ready for a post BG3 world?

afbeelding.png
Yeah. Similar to how we lived in a post-BG2 world, post-skyrim world, and post-Witcher 3 World. Witcher 3 still is the measuring stick for action RPGs.

Will be curious to observe it BG3 surpasses it as the "Story-benchmark" RPG.

Parabalus

Arcane
Attacking the Goblin Camp after raiding the emerald grove doesn't turn the grove goblins hostile - you still get your feast.

Sunri

Liturgist
I recruited Muntara recently and she have battlecries from prologue it's pretty jaring when she screams for the absolute five minutes after she voved to kill all of them or she screams.to the gate! And we are on open space lol

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
I really hate this game. I guess the joke is on me for thinking this would be different from the previous Divinity games (which I also hated).

This has all the hallmarks from Larian's previous games that I personally hated:
- overly cartoony graphical style
- terrible writing for the most part
- bad puns and humour all over (yes, I prefer more grimdark settings/stories)
- annoying inventory system, with crates all over the place with useless loot
- terrible camera, especially in places with a lot of vertical spaces
- terrible companions

It certainly does not feel like a proper sequel to BG1/BG2 (which I played back at release). It feels like a Divinity game. But maybe I'm just getting old and bitter and don't enjoy how they make RPGs these days...

Heh, "it's too colourful" argument again.

Look, even colourful things are diverse. Larian is from Belgium, and francophonic bandes dessinées (comics) have this same silly/flashy/macabresque feeling.

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
I wouldn't compare the Netflix/Marvel flick aesthetic to Franco-Belgian comics favorably. Did you know Infogrames adapted that comic into a video game in the late 80's and that it shits all over 150GB games in terms of visuals and style?

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I was wondering why people keep saying "Larian writing" (instead of pointing out the writers themselves) and actually looked up what writers the game had. Well, almost or all of them seem to only have worked on DOS 2 and BG3. For the lead writer, BG3 is his only writing credit. His Twitter doesn't mention anything else other being lead writer for Larian. "Associate lead writer" - also, only worked on one game and that's BG3. "Principal writer" was also lead writer on DOS2, and a writer on DOS. A lot of the other writers' credits include only BG3 and varios Divinity games.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/150689/baldurs-gate-iii/credits/windows/?autoplatform=true

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
fun entertainment for cheap buck.
Cheap entertainment for a cheeky buck.

I don't know man. Especially compared to what people are spending on watching 90-minutes-sportsgames, going to a restaurant or to the movies.
if you participate in the microtransaction shennanigans, that's soley on the consumer to blame.

Last edited:

Gradenmayer

Learned
I recruited Muntara recently and she have battlecries from prologue it's pretty jaring when she screams for the absolute five minutes after she voved to kill all of them or she screams.to the gate! And we are on open space lol
She is bugged as fuck. Half of her dialogues don’t trigger. I’d wait for the 1-st big patch before using her.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That isn't the whole game, though, it's the special act 2 "ending".

It's a bad ending yes, not the "true" ending, but I'll bet at least some of those tards that "completed it in a weekend" got to that. I would have at least tried it if I hadn't confined Gayl to permanent camp duty.

Sunri

Liturgist
She is bugged as fuck. Half of her dialogues don’t trigger. I’d wait for the 1-st big patch before using her.
It's okay I will replay game multiple times anyway

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Videogame discussions have become this weird tribalistic thing where huge swaths of people batting their heads about as if we are talking science or politics while in reality games have always been fun entertainment for cheap buck.
Who wants to just play games, I want to unreasonably argue with other people about it, that's like half of the fun

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Who wants to just play games, I want to unreasonably argue with other people about it, that's like half of the fun

I mean fuck it, I work in german politics, that shit is half my life already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom