Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Cirventhor

Novice
I was wondering why people keep saying "Larian writing" (instead of pointing out the writers themselves) and actually looked up what writers the game had. Well, almost or all of them seem to only have worked on DOS 2 and BG3. For the lead writer, BG3 is his only writing credit. His Twitter doesn't mention anything else other being lead writer for Larian. "Associate lead writer" - also, only worked on one game and that's BG3. "Principal writer" was also lead writer on DOS2, and a writer on DOS. A lot of the other writers' credits include only BG3 and varios Divinity games.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/150689/baldurs-gate-iii/credits/windows/?autoplatform=true
The lead writer came straight from a gaming journalist job at Rock, Paper, Shotgun to BG3, according to this: https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gamer-ch...-gate-3-lead-writer-adam-smith-joins-the-pod/

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I really hate this game. I guess the joke is on me for thinking this would be different from the previous Divinity games (which I also hated).

This has all the hallmarks from Larian's previous games that I personally hated:
- overly cartoony graphical style
- terrible writing for the most part
- bad puns and humour all over (yes, I prefer more grimdark settings/stories)
- annoying inventory system, with crates all over the place with useless loot
- terrible camera, especially in places with a lot of vertical spaces
- terrible companions

It certainly does not feel like a proper sequel to BG1/BG2 (which I played back at release). It feels like a Divinity game. But maybe I'm just getting old and bitter and don't enjoy how they make RPGs these days...

Heh, "it's too colourful" argument again.

Look, even colourful things are diverse. Larian is from Belgium, and francophonic bandes dessinées (comics) have this same silly/flashy/macabresque feeling.

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
ok, i'm kinda interested. what is it and can you read it in human language?

Three comics:
1. The Quest for the Time Bird
2. Trolls of Troy (it's spanish, btw)
3. 666

I really hate this game. I guess the joke is on me for thinking this would be different from the previous Divinity games (which I also hated).

This has all the hallmarks from Larian's previous games that I personally hated:
- terrible companions

It certainly does not feel like a proper sequel to BG1/BG2 (which I played back at release). It feels like a Divinity game. But maybe I'm just getting old and bitter and don't enjoy how they make RPGs these days...

Look, even colourful things are diverse. Larian is from Belgium, and francophonic bandes dessinées (comics) have this same silly/flashy/macabresque feeling.

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
ok, i'm kinda interested. what is it and can you read it in human language?
In polish it was called Pelissa, but the original title is something like "The Quest for the Timebird" by Serge Le Tendre. Egmont used to translate them around Europe, but I don't know if it was translated to english.

Pelissa-2.-Swiatynia-Zapomnienia.-PRACA-ZBIOROWA.jpg
In French it was "La Quête de l'Oiseau du Temps". I'm even more surprised that you had comic market in 80s.

- terrible companions

9782205066968-couv.jpg

81RrLpP-O5L.jpg

PlancheA_7039.jpg
I wouldn't compare the Netflix/Marvel flick aesthetic to Franco-Belgian comics favorably. Did you know Infogrames adapted that comic into a video game in the late 80's and that it shits all over 150GB games in terms of visuals and style?

Only I read about this in old magazine. I never had Amiga. It shame that none of adaptation became really popular.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
La quete de l'oiseau du temps is amazing. Remember sneaking them out of my parents room when they thought I was too young to read it. Good times.

Shaki

Arbiter
I mean fuck it, I work in german politics, that shit is half my life already.

Anything actually interesting in German politics now? Last time I've checked you guys were in the boring "yaaas Angela kween slay, everyone else is a nazi" phase for like 15 years.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
2. Trolls of Troy (it's spanish, btw)
thanks, that's what i was most interested about.

No, no, comic is French, but scan is in Spanish.
no, i mean second pic looks most interesting of them.

Yeah, much better than original series. Trolls are cheerful Dark Urges.

La quete de l'oiseau du temps is amazing. Remember sneaking them out of my parents room when they thought I was too young to read it. Good times.

You should buy "Peter Pan". It must be children comics :D

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, I'm taking a break for real this time. Waiting for patches. And my brain to heal.

I still uphold my point that the writing is so bad, we need a tribunal in Hague to figure out what to do about it.
But most of other things are mostly great.

Never in my life I've seen such a schizofrenic experience and it hurts my brain. I kind of wish the game was simply bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...the-most-heroic-playthrough-says-lead-writer/

Baldur's Gate 3's chaotic Dark Urge origin is 'potentially the most heroic playthrough,' says lead writer​

I'm just going to have to trust him on this one.

Of all the origin character choices in Baldur's Gate 3, the Dark Urge is the weirdest. It isn't a character, really, but a state of mind. As the Dark Urge, you have no memories of your past at all, only a sense that you've done unspeakable things and that an unknown force within you wants you to continue spreading chaos and violence. Baldur's Gate 3's lead writer Adam Smith is currently playing his own Dark Urge character, and tells us that despite first impressions, this may be the most heroic of them all.

"I'm doing Dark Urge because I've done just about every combination of class, race, and background imaginable," Smith tells us during today's PC Gamer Chat Log podcast. He says he spent a lot of time playtesting the Dark Urge origin, too, but "never got to play it from beginning to end as a full, genuine true run without cheating."

Smith says he's all about roleplaying and loves the chaos of his Dark Urge Monk.

"I'm playing the Dark Urge who's resisting all the terrible things and is deeply regretful of all the terrible things that have happened," Smith says. I do love a tortured, remorseful hero.

And there are a lot urges he'll need to resist: One of the earliest things the Dark Urge can do is bite off Gale's arm instead of pulling him out of that magic portal you find him in. But Adam Smith doesn't want the Dark Urge to be misunderstood.

"When we first announced it, I was really desperate to try to tell people this isn't just the evil run," Smith tells us. It sure does feel like an evil run initially, from what I've seen, but Smith says that the Dark Urge has real potential for a good ending.

"To me—and I'll be as spoiler light as possible—the Dark Urge is potentially the most heroic playthrough, because resisting what's inside you and actually getting through that and surviving it with your friends alongside you still, most of them intact, is I think the most heroic version of the game."

"Potentially," Smith says, which I take to mean that yes you can absolutely play a chaotic awful Dark Urge all the way through to the end, but that if you're conscious and shrewd, those very urges may be what allows you to seal the deal on a good ending.

Personally, I'm nowhere near close to finishing the story as my non-Dark Urge character. If you are, and you're feeling spoilery and curious, check out our guide to the Baldur's Gate 3 endings. We've also not gotten through an entire Dark Urge run yet, mind, so maybe the best endings, if you believe Smith, are yet to be uncovered.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I mean fuck it, I work in german politics, that shit is half my life already.

Anything actually interesting in German politics now? Last time I've checked you guys were in the boring "yaaas Angela kween slay, everyone else is a nazi" phase for like 15 years.

Same shit as the last 15 years but with stronger right wing party than ever before and pretty much a dying economy due to ideological politcis that focus too much on morals instead of rationalism. Climate change is the topic of the decade.
Also the "Am Deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen"-stance is still pretty strong.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
It's
I kind of wish the game was simply bad.
Same. Genuinely breaks my heart that a game that is so good in so many ways is absolutely destroyed by the writing.
It's not that bad compared to other newish rpgs

It's also better than the last stuff Obsidian put out just for the fact that it doesn't drench you in purpled prosed lore- and exposition dumps at every step. Some talk is pretty bad, some is mid, some is good. I enjoyed all the Gythyanki related content.

Sunri

Liturgist
It's
Same. Genuinely breaks my heart that a game that is so good in so many ways is absolutely destroyed by the writing.

It's also better than the last stuff Obsidian put out just for the fact that it doesn't drench you in purpled prosed lore- and exposition dumps at every step. Some talk is pretty bad, some is mid, some is good. I enjoyed all the Gythyanki related content.
I liked writing in Poe I but hated it in 2 don't even remember why.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's

That's just about the impression I have as well, though it rubs me the wrong way how modern the language is, for most of the NPCs. I miss BG2's style of expression.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
The lead writer came straight from a gaming journalist job at Rock, Paper, Shotgun to BG3, according to this: https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gamer-ch...-gate-3-lead-writer-adam-smith-joins-the-pod/

At least not from Polygon

I still uphold my point that the writing is so bad, we need a tribunal in Hague to figure out what to do about it.

Guys, please. I beg you. All of my brofists if you provided a few example of what you consider extremely bad writing in the game. I'm not disagreeing, but I have to see for myself if I consider the same piece of writing as atrocious as you're saying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom