Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

The cutscenes direction is like from a school play or what's called "programmer's art" - just some random dude saying ok place the camera here, let the people stand there doing nothing but standing in the middle of an open space. It's plodding like a school play, and the acting of the extras is as uncoordinated as a school play.

For example, this is the scene where the brain flies into view. Three extras are so uncoordinated, that they look at random bullshit directions:
2bab3b29ee310678562c0150315b48ec.jpg

And the scale of it is like a school play. You're supposed to have gathered the entire Baldur's Gate before you... and somehow that's 5 people.

You're become literally Hitler and you can't even do a weak semblance of a Nuremberg Rally?
2d018f1bb4a847d5f69ec8aaf7ae24aa.jpg

"You're going to conquer other worlds..." With these 5 guys? Where's the EPIC SCALE?

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane

The cutscenes direction is like from a school play or what's called "programmer's art" - just some random dude saying ok place the camera here, let the people stand there doing nothing but standing in the middle of an open space. It's plodding like a school play, and the acting of the extras is as uncoordinated as a school play.

For example, this is the scene where the brain flies into view. Three extras are so uncoordinated, that they look at random bullshit directions:
2bab3b29ee310678562c0150315b48ec.jpg

And the scale of it is like a school play. You're supposed to have gathered the entire Baldur's Gate before you... and somehow that's 5 people.

You're become literally Hitler and you can't even do a weak semblance of a Nuremberg Rally?
2d018f1bb4a847d5f69ec8aaf7ae24aa.jpg

"You're going to conquer other worlds..." With these 5 guys? Where's the EPIC SCALE?

I felt the same way when I saw the crowd size. Got some serious skyrim vibes

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Crazy because BG3 isn't even thay good. Guess the romance simulator and presentation did it.

Not saying the game is bad but it's an 8/10 at best
It's earned the hype, I think - I've honestly never seen this level of environmental interaction and freedom to deploy consistent systems in a cRPG, especially not a big budget one. It still has its limitations and its easy to find them, but in terms of just letting you approach problems in whatever way you want, it easily beats most other cRPGs. It's almost like a stats-based immersive sim at times and it's easily the game that's come the closest to tabletop in terms of accomodating unexpected solutions to things.

Wrote about it somewhere in the release thread but I'm still amazed that a valid solution to get across the moat at the start of Act 3 is to shrink yourself and have Karlach just pick you up and throw you across, which leads to a whole emergent gameplay segment where you have to sneak through the fort alone until you can find a way to get your companions in. It's the kind of stuff I always dreamed of being able to do when I played games as a kid, but which in the past would only ever occur as part of entirely scripted pre-written puzzles.

The romance stuff and the slickness of the presentation undoubtedly help but at the core of it is a good game that trusts the player with more freedom and offers more flexibility than almost any other cRPG I can think of, which hopefully is how the game influences the genre going forward.
Finally an honest review.

Barbarian

Arcane
This will follow the course as every blockbuster rpg since 2000. We will likely have "enhanced" or "definitive" editions being released 20 years from now.

The lack of dlc is very bizarre though, considering sales and everything. Is it stipulated in the contract with WOTC that only Larian can develop content for the game? The logical thing would be for another studio to catch the ball.

Barbarian

Arcane
Nah, I just asked out of curiosity. I expected you played the game more than once. I think you surely will.

Have you tried the "unwoke" mod yet?

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
Crazy because BG3 isn't even thay good. Guess the romance simulator and presentation did it.

Not saying the game is bad but it's an 8/10 at best
It's earned the hype, I think - I've honestly never seen this level of environmental interaction and freedom to deploy consistent systems in a cRPG, especially not a big budget one. It still has its limitations and its easy to find them, but in terms of just letting you approach problems in whatever way you want, it easily beats most other cRPGs. It's almost like a stats-based immersive sim at times and it's easily the game that's come the closest to tabletop in terms of accomodating unexpected solutions to things.

Wrote about it somewhere in the release thread but I'm still amazed that a valid solution to get across the moat at the start of Act 3 is to shrink yourself and have Karlach just pick you up and throw you across, which leads to a whole emergent gameplay segment where you have to sneak through the fort alone until you can find a way to get your companions in. It's the kind of stuff I always dreamed of being able to do when I played games as a kid, but which in the past would only ever occur as part of entirely scripted pre-written puzzles.

The romance stuff and the slickness of the presentation undoubtedly help but at the core of it is a good game that trusts the player with more freedom and offers more flexibility than almost any other cRPG I can think of, which hopefully is how the game influences the genre going forward.
I guess that stuff is cool but there's always a straight forward way to pass that stuff that makes the game much easier. Like you can try and get super creative to make the game more difficult if you want.

For me the game falls short in immersion. I've said this before but because of the writing and companions, I'm never immersed and always bored by act 3. I guess it could be nostalgia but I got way more immersed in games like Kotor and Mass Effect 1 because of the writing and companions.

Honestly I like Kingmaker better than Bg3 aswell. Better characters, better writing, better decision making. I don't value mimicking a table top experience as much.

The Bishop

Cipher
Honestly I like Kingmaker better than Bg3 aswell. Better characters, better writing, better decision making. I don't value mimicking a table top experience as much.
The problem with emergent stuff in BG3 is that it's nice when it works, but not as nice when it fails. And it does fail frequently. For example I managed to sneak all the way into Ethel's dungeon, take all her stuff and lower the trapped girl's cage. The girl insists you release her, but when you do she just stands there and has nothing to say. You can also go back to Ethel, but the only dialogue available is as if nothing happened. To Larian's credit, the game never crashes or softlocks in situations like that, but this is hardly a satisfying attempt at mimicking tabletop. While in tabletop you expect the game to accommodate your approach naturally, in bg3 you're left with saving/loading just to check if your idea works at all, and doing so does not feel like an adventure.

Old Hans

Arcane
The problem with emergent stuff in BG3 is that it's nice when it works, but not as nice when it fails. And it does fail frequently. For example I managed to sneak all the way into Ethel's dungeon, take all her stuff and lower the trapped girl's cage. The girl insists you release her, but when you do she just stands there and has nothing to say. You can also go back to Ethel, but the only dialogue available is as if nothing happened. To Larian's credit, the game never crashes or softlocks in situations like that, but this is hardly a satisfying attempt at mimicking tabletop. While in tabletop you expect the game to accommodate your approach naturally, in bg3 you're left with saving/loading just to check if your idea works at all, and doing so does not feel like an adventure.
this is the problem I always run into one way or another. As much as they talk about "emergent gameplay" if you don't play exactly how they intended, you'll run into so many immersion breaking situations, like casting fireball on the group of magicians near sorcerer sundries, because even when they're dead, there is still a crowd that watches and comments on them. its all very static

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
this is the problem I always run into one way or another. As much as they talk about "emergent gameplay" if you don't play exactly how they intended, you'll run into so many immersion breaking situations, like casting fireball on the group of magicians near sorcerer sundries, because even when they're dead, there is still a crowd that watches and comments on them. its all very static
There are times when it works and times when it doesn't. But even when it work's usually you're making things more difficult om yourself than playing a more standard way

Yosharian

Arcane
That's very disappointing

Hydro

Educated
That’s BG3 in a nutshell. Allowing a player to do lots of stuff, but not obliged to acknowledge any of it.

The majority of this “emergent gameplay” is cramped in the Act i, further acts contain a more straightforward gameplay with the act iii being an utterly unimaginative slop completely stripped of the feel of adventure.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
And yet it's still does "emergent gameplay" better than any crpg before it.

Of course not EVERY situation is accounted for, let's stay a bit realistic here.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, pretty much; every cRPG is an exercise in accepting the existence of limitations, but I can't really think of any other game that has BG3's ambition in really trying to let the player do as much as possible. When you do find a limitation or hit a wall - which is easy to do, obviously, on account of the sheer level of freedom you're given to experiment - I didn't have trouble accepting that the game can't do everything since I was so wowed by the amount of trust the game puts in you, and I'd say about 75% of my ideas did actually work, even the fairly absurd ones (like skipping the entire boss fight in the Astral Plane in Act 2 by casting Hideous Laughter on the guy to prevent him from starting his speech and then just throwing him off the platform).

What's most exciting about BG3 is that you can see the DNA of future cRPGs in it. In the same way that Fallout was a revelation in 1997 and still today feels like a blueprint for how to make the cRPGs of the future, even though as a game itself it's very limited and basic in most of its systems and quests. Same for other games that seemed to offer a glimpse into a future that never materialised, like Daggerfall and Deus Ex - I can accept their own countless limitations because they still feel like they're trailblazing new models of what it's possible to do in a cRPG. BG3 similarly feels like it's saying "here's a rough outline of what RPGs might look like ten years from now", obviously we'll have to see if any of that comes to fruition in works from other devs in the coming years.

The Bishop

Cipher
Ambition is great and accepting limitations is fine too. The issue is really that exploring BG3 is so dependent on saving/loading. Whenever you encounter another bunch of content you save and you test. If your character starts to do stupid shit that you can't anticipate, when you hit the wall because an option that you were certain should be there is missing, or when a script just doesn't trigger, you load. Eventually you find a satisfactory path and you proceed to the next bunch of content, where you save, test, rinse repeat. Don't know about others, but to me this does not feel like adventuring. It feels like maintenance. You can't really play organically, or rather you can, but then you do only the most obvious thing, which in most cases just attack. And miss out on most of the content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom