Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

f155d66c971346213e5b478f4d3f8d77.gif

MerchantKing

Learned

I don't get it. What does a suicide attempt have to do with being a Ballspawn? Wasn't it supposed to be about being the last one alive for maximum profit like in Highlander?

your character doesnt die. he floats down to the ground, then you get a choice of how much of a dickhead you wanna be

"choices and consequences" LMAO. I like how everyone hypes up C&C and most of it just turns into getting a different ending slide or ending cutscene. And that "choice" is even more meaningless as it occurs after the game ended and cannot affect gameplay in any way. Best case scenario is that you have help for one fight, miss out on a shopkeeper you didn't need in the first place, or you get to skip a fight occasionally and nothing significant happens after. Is this really what the normalfag C&C guzzler thinks is good gameplay and what rpgs are about? Is this really what they buy games for?

Reyvik

Novice
It says a lot about this industry with Starfield being third

BG3 is great until I stumble upon anything made by reddit folk. Then I realize that this game sucks ass because it catered to the most primitive consumers of media and embraced vicious degrading of story and writing of characters. What I mean is, I don't mind mediocrity that lives on its own. I get depressed when I see this mediocrity having such a big influence on the industry as a whole. I don't except anything brilliant being of interest to me in following years.

Time to die

Sussur

Barely Literate

I don't understand why Larian believes Bhaal worship is just lol so randumb psychopathy. Yes they are deranged murderers. But as you can see in BG3 they are capable of co-existing in a space to achieve their god's ends. Why would the Dark Urge character kill his useful compatriots in such a pointless and bloodless way? In fact I just remembered Orin losing favor among the Bhaal crowd for this exact reason, she couldn't contain her obsession and killed indiscriminately and pointlessly.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Todd Howard's greatest disaster, released on Microsoft Gamepass for no additional charge, is nonetheless the third-highest-selling Steam game for its year, two-thirds of which had already passed before the game was released.

toddhowardsavior.png

Lemming42

Arcane
If the sales figures in that graphic are right then that's a lot of surprises. Hogwarts being that high despite having such limited cultural impact is crazy, though I guess an IP like Harry Potter will always sell (though that apparently didn't help the Star Wars game, lol). Starfield's relative success is impressive too given that it was pushed as a Gamepass game and that a great many PC users would have pirated it.

Obviously congrats to BG3 for absolutely smoking the competition. I still can't believe the scale of its success, I would never have believed a turn-based CRPG would be topping the charts in 2023.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
If the sales figures in that graphic are right then that's a lot of surprises. Hogwarts being that high despite having such limited cultural impact is crazy, though I guess an IP like Harry Potter will always sell (though that apparently didn't help the Star Wars game, lol). Starfield's relative success is impressive too given that it was pushed as a Gamepass game and that a great many PC users would have pirated it.

Obviously congrats to BG3 for absolutely smoking the competition. I still can't believe the scale of its success, I would never have believed a turn-based CRPG would be topping the charts in 2023.
Crazy because BG3 isn't even thay good. Guess the romance simulator and presentation did it.

Not saying the game is bad but it's an 8/10 at best

Lemming42

Arcane
Crazy because BG3 isn't even thay good. Guess the romance simulator and presentation did it.

Not saying the game is bad but it's an 8/10 at best
It's earned the hype, I think - I've honestly never seen this level of environmental interaction and freedom to deploy consistent systems in a cRPG, especially not a big budget one. It still has its limitations and its easy to find them, but in terms of just letting you approach problems in whatever way you want, it easily beats most other cRPGs. It's almost like a stats-based immersive sim at times and it's easily the game that's come the closest to tabletop in terms of accomodating unexpected solutions to things.

Wrote about it somewhere in the release thread but I'm still amazed that a valid solution to get across the moat at the start of Act 3 is to shrink yourself and have Karlach just pick you up and throw you across, which leads to a whole emergent gameplay segment where you have to sneak through the fort alone until you can find a way to get your companions in. It's the kind of stuff I always dreamed of being able to do when I played games as a kid, but which in the past would only ever occur as part of entirely scripted pre-written puzzles.

The romance stuff and the slickness of the presentation undoubtedly help but at the core of it is a good game that trusts the player with more freedom and offers more flexibility than almost any other cRPG I can think of, which hopefully is how the game influences the genre going forward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom