Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Aside for the vaguely insufferable "Muh deadnaming" no part of that Journal seems to suggest the two had a sentimental or sexual relationship.

This is just another instance of people on Codex failing to keep their autism in check.

Shaki

Arbiter
Aside for the vaguely insufferable "Muh deadnaming" no part of that Journal seems to suggest the two had a sentimental or sexual relationship.

This is just another instance of people on Codex failing to keep their autism in check.
Tranny from a brainwashing cult, was repeatedly taking brainwashed helpless victim into a "special hiding place" where it was "reminding her" of their bond? Cmon, Larian couldn't make it more obvious if they wanted to.

You must be the target audience for these warning videos they show in schools, about strangers that want to bait you into the basement to show you "kittens". Talk about keeping autism in check.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sone of you didn’t know of Elderbrains? I wonder if any undead mind flayers are in. The illithiad goes over many critter from older dragon magazine articles and other works. It and I Tyrant (beholders) were pretty good. I picked up the Sea Devils just to complete the set but wish they chose some other more alien creature .

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

I didn't get the sexual undertones either, I thought that between the journal and the conversations the game was just trying to make their friendship seem close but in a really clumsy way that wasn't earned rather than hinting that they were banging. I am pretty blind to these things though so who knows

Reinhardt

Arcane

I didn't get the sexual undertones either, I thought that between the journal and the conversations the game was just trying to make their friendship seem close but in a really clumsy way that wasn't earned rather than hinting that they were banging. I am pretty blind to these things though so who knows
nigga, it's tranny. dey be cray-cray. dey probably stole shadowheart used tampoons to brew some estrogen tea.

Minecrawler

Educated
So how bad is act 3 when it comes to bugs?
Some people swear act 3 is unplayable while others are saying buggy but playable?
Exploration (particularly of the underground) rewarded me with some bugs directly affecting quest outcomes.
1) I did the cistern fight with cultists before saving Minsc. In the process the fireball was thrown, and the ladder was burnt, which I suspect is the reason for the bug. If you want to have choices in Zentharim vs the Thieves' Guild fight, the particular character needs to live when you discover her and Minsc later there. She is supposed to run away while you deal with the others, but she is marked as an enemy and she simply won't leave the area. Maybe she was supposed to use that ladder, I have no idea. Given who she is, they easily could have given her an amulet of misty steps, or a scroll, or something else. Marking her red was absolutely stupid, since she won't even attack you. Non-lethal combat is useless for her, as always, and if you flee and do long rest, Minsc dies.
2) The infamous hostages in the underwater prison not moving bug, if you find some afrodwarf engineer underground it's better to not interact with him unless you are ready to go there and finish one of the major quests.
3) Volo and his friends. I shot the chair, he got out and ran away, everything exploded. He is nowhere to be found, no updates in the journal regarding him either.

There are some minor things, too. Like the skeleton berating me for lack of romances because Minthara doesn't exist for him and everything related to her was cut. Maybe he insinuates this way that I have chosen poorly and should have gone with the gay bear option.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, many dozens of hours into the game, I started to feel tired. Very tired. I had similar feeling playing DOS2, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Pathfinder WOTR. I am not sure if it's due to my age (41) or due to the game lenght/ pace. It's a strange trend, the game feels HUGE, and at the same time it's slow.

I'm in the middle of act 3 now, and since we found out about the game cut content, I feel more and more disappointed. You can see the holes, the fractures and the patchwork they had to do, to keep Act 3 barely working. Sometimes I can barely play, cos my framerate goes to single digits. It's BAD. There are somethings that bothers me like hell, and I miss from more recent games. At the same time, some things are high quality, plot is very good and, in general, the game is solid.

Some things I don't like:
- Why there is no world map? Its hard to understand where we are, according to the game. This is a big departure from the old Baldur's Gate and also from recent crpgs, like Pathfinder. You cannot go back to previous areas, you cannot go wherever you want, and the game is heavily railroaded. There is just one path, and you have to go there in a very particular order.

- Itemization is meh and not very consistent. There are very few unique items, and the itemization, as a whole, favors melee attacks.

- UI, specially the character sheet is unacceptable. After Pathfinder, or, god, even Pillars of Eternity, the character sheet should be much better.

- Ilythid is horny and wants to fuck

- Cut content. Fuck, the game barely stands after act 2.
Hey man, nice to see you are still around.

Since you're not the first here to complain of the framerate in Act 3, I wonder what's the average machine people play on. All I did to get back to 30-something fps was drop my resolution to 1440p. And my machine is pretty ancient - 4790k/1080ti/24GB DDR3

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Who here is Collin?

afbeelding.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Tranny from a brainwashing cult, was repeatedly taking brainwashed helpless victim into a "special hiding place" where it was "reminding her" of their bond? Cmon, Larian couldn't make it more obvious if they wanted to.

You must be the target audience for these warning videos they show in schools, about strangers that want to bait you into the basement to show you "kittens". Talk about keeping autism in check.
Well, if she was being brainwashed that makes her more of a victim of abuse (sorry - a "survivor") than a willing participant in cucking someone she did not even know or had met at the time.

On a separate note - if she was brainwashed and has no memories, by this token you should consider this journal an evidence of just one instance. Think how many times she might have been abused with no evidence surviving... :lol:

Shaki

Arbiter

Act 3 and endings getting cleaned up, u happy now fags?

I'll be happy when it comes out and actually has these changes, I don't trust you Swen

I delivered the greatest crpg of all time, am pro consumer, big devs hate me and you can kill all woke characters. I delivered, it's time the codex takes the knee.

You promised us harem of waifus, but the only poly relationship in the game, is inviting the bear to cuck you.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I play with a Ryzen 7 5800x and a RTX 3080ti and the drop in performances in Act 3 is immediately noticeable.
I went from playing at 130-160 fps to struggling to stay above the 50 fps in the lower city.
This might be a dumb question, but do you guys have some tool for FPS counting always on in the background?

Shaki

Arbiter
I play with a Ryzen 7 5800x and a RTX 3080ti and the drop in performances in Act 3 is immediately noticeable.
I went from playing at 130-160 fps to struggling to stay above the 50 fps in the lower city.
This might be a dumb question, but do you guys have some tool for FPS counting always on in the background?
No, I just count them manually

FA7

Educated
But I do think it's good to have some elements of that sort of thing, it just depends on how much it has to be abstracted away because the developers simply didn't have time/resources to flesh it out cleverly.
For me it's the kind of thing that steals your attention and instead of having fun or focusing on story, it's just getting in your way. Instead of exploring, doing tactical combat or solving puzzles, you're being forced into looking at excel tables with tad better graphics. Best thing that comes to my mind (that is so disconnected from core gameloop) are occasional cyoa elements like those in numenera or deadfire, but these come at exact specific moments in storyline and are also a good opportunity for lore dump, whereas minigames are getting into core gameloop and usually don't offer anything in return. Although I'm always keen on hearing any good examples if you can provide them.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, many dozens of hours into the game, I started to feel tired. Very tired. I had similar feeling playing DOS2, Pathfinder Kingmaker and Pathfinder WOTR. I am not sure if it's due to my age (41) or due to the game lenght/ pace. It's a strange trend, the game feels HUGE, and at the same time it's slow.

I'm in the middle of act 3 now, and since we found out about the game cut content, I feel more and more disappointed. You can see the holes, the fractures and the patchwork they had to do, to keep Act 3 barely working. Sometimes I can barely play, cos my framerate goes to single digits. It's BAD. There are somethings that bothers me like hell, and I miss from more recent games. At the same time, some things are high quality, plot is very good and, in general, the game is solid.

Some things I don't like:
- Why there is no world map? Its hard to understand where we are, according to the game. This is a big departure from the old Baldur's Gate and also from recent crpgs, like Pathfinder. You cannot go back to previous areas, you cannot go wherever you want, and the game is heavily railroaded. There is just one path, and you have to go there in a very particular order.

- Itemization is meh and not very consistent. There are very few unique items, and the itemization, as a whole, favors melee attacks.

- UI, specially the character sheet is unacceptable. After Pathfinder, or, god, even Pillars of Eternity, the character sheet should be much better.

- Ilythid is horny and wants to fuck

- Cut content. Fuck, the game barely stands after act 2.
Hey man, nice to see you are still around.

Since you're not the first here to complain of the framerate in Act 3, I wonder what's the average machine people play on. All I did to get back to 30-something fps was drop my resolution to 1440p. And my machine is pretty ancient - 4790k/1080ti/24GB DDR3

In my personal case my machine is pretty shitty. I have a GTX 970, 16GB DDR3. It should be the minimum to play the game, but it was handling the game kinda nicely, even at Ultra settings, with no stuttering at all, until I arrived in Rivington. Then the nightmare started.

Now the performance is horrible even at low settings

Gradenmayer

Learned
Steam has good overlay frame counter that you can turn on. For the rest I use rivatuner statistics.

9ted6

Educated

Or Larian not keeping their autism in check by having any of this in the first place.

Zayne

Scholar
In the process the fireball was thrown, and the ladder was burnt, which I suspect is the reason for the bug. If you want to have choices in Zentharim vs the Thieves' Guild fight, the particular character needs to live when you discover her and Minsc later there. She is supposed to run away while you deal with the others, but she is marked as an enemy and she simply won't leave the area.
And I thought if I'm quick enough and kill her before she escapes, she wouldn't get payment to Zhentarim and they wouldn't attack Thieves.

Well, C&C doesn't always work as you expect

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesradar.com/baldurs-...o-exist-because-otherwise-it-gets-exhausting/

Baldur's Gate 3's darker second act had to exist because otherwise "it gets exhausting"​

The stuff you learned in Act 1? "You need it to survive" in Act 2

Baldur's Gate 3's second act is very different to its first. Fairytale-style exploration quickly gives way to something far darker and less welcoming, but according to lead writer Adam Smith, there's a very good reason for that.

Speaking with Smith at Gamescom, GamesRadar+ asks about the somewhat jarring difference in tone between the first and second acts. Act Two is harder, darker, and not as sprawling as its predecessor, and personally, I found it a bit of a slog. But as Smith explains, that shift was crucial to the narrative structure of the entire game.

"One of the reasons Act One is so open is so that you've got space to experiment, and then as you get deeper into it, Act Two is much more 'Did you bring some skills with you? Have you learned how to navigate this much more dangerous area?' The systemic and emergent stuff that you've learned at that point, you need it to stay alive where Act One is much more playful," Smith says.

"It's adventure, right? The beginning of an adventure is much more free - you're discovering what your role is, you're discovering what you can do. And then, in Act Two, the intensity of the drama heightens. The interesting thing about Act One is that the villains are in your head or nebulously chasing you. But the central antagonist: Is it the parasite? What is it? And you're looking for that - 'what is the biggest threat to me here?'

"That gives a lot of direction, plot-wise. And by [Act Two], I think the hope is - and it seems to be working well - is that you have a better sense of your identity in the game, and what you would like, what you're capable of, and how you want to deal with things. So you have a lot of choice space in Act Two, but it's much more about 'how do we handle these very specific things?' rather than 'what are we exploring, what are we learning?'"

"I think some people have found it quite jarring because it's like, 'this is very different'. But that's kind of the richness of it. In terms of the pacing, I think if we'd done three big slices of space like we did in Act One, I think it would get exhausting. There's a storytelling incentive there; there are gameplay differences, but we didn't want people to think 'ok, I think I've done every piece of content in this map', and then you move on, and you're like 'and now there's another one'. That can be great, but it can also be like, 'ok, now I'm gonna do the same process again'. So Act Two has a lot of exploration, a lot of discovery, but pretty much everything you're discovering in Act Two is pointing towards a strong direction, which is Baldur's Gate."

It's a compelling argument, and I have to say that it's made me think differently about Act Two. I wasn't relishing returning to Moonrise Tower on my inevitable second playthrough, but I know the world has more to see there. Smith's definitely right that the game can't all be a big, fantasy playthrough - but perhaps I'll try to make the most of my time in the first act this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom