Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Padzi

Arbiter
Ketheric is the best. The entire second act was dedicated to him, and I liked that.
Orin annoys me. I'm irritated by her storyline, her frustrating personality, her quest, and the whole plot surrounding her.
Gortash so far appeared in so small doses that I don't know what to think about him.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What about the Dragon and its riders that attacked Mind Flayer ship from trailers? They are just a setup for the start?

Also why are we fighting Chosen of anything with low level characters?!
The dragon-riding githyanki who attack the illithid nautiloid in the opening cutscenes do reappear later in the game. There's even an entire optional githyanki section late in Act I.

As for the leveling in BG3, keep in mind that the game called "D&D 5th edition" gives characters of all classes an enormous jump in power at level 5, which can be reached in BG3 halfway through Act I (not coincidentally, the number of game hours to reach the next level increases greatly at that point).

You are level 12 by end of Act 2 ?
Still low level, Chosen of anything need to be real danger, this just sounds like bad design. In BG1 we fought Sarevok that was not chosen of Anything, just another Bhaalspawn with a tiny bit of divine power. Chosen are supposed to be closer to Irenicus than Sarevok.
A completionist will reach level 10 at about the end of Act II, leaving just two levels gained in Act III before reaching the level cap of BG3.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Act 2 is fine, the problem is that Act 3 is bigger than the other 2 combined, even with all the content they cut. So you will reach the level cap pretty early on and a large portion of the quests become pointless time wasting and instead of exploring the city you just go for the ending. It's not like you can make it easier by leveling more.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Act 2 is fine, the problem is that Act 3 is bigger than the other 2 combined, even with all the content they cut. So you will reach the level cap pretty early on and a large portion of the quests become pointless time wasting and instead of exploring the city you just go for the ending. It's not like you can make it easier by leveling more.
I think that Act III is about equal in length to Act I (including the entire Underdark, Grymforge, and monastery/creche), but it clearly had a large amount of cut content and probably should have been 50 hours rather than 30. However, this would have resulted in BG3 being about 100 hours in length, which returns to an earlier point that BG3 really should have been two separate games, or rather a game and its sequel, each about 50 hours in length. Granted, it would have been bizarre to release a game named Baldur's Gate where the player never actually reached the city of Baldur's Gate itself, and only somewhat less bizarre for the sequel to have occurred almost entirely within Baldur's Gate. But this would have addressed not only the issue of the cut content in Act III but also the decline in how polished the game is after Act I, as well as permitting a higher level limit in the second game than exists in the actual BG3 Act III.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So you will reach the level cap pretty early on and a large portion of the quests become pointless time wasting and instead of exploring the city you just go for the ending.
Noooooo I can't explore the city and roleplay, I have to see the number go up! Number, please go up, please!!
You can "explore and roleplay" but because of reaching a level cup ALL combat encounters become piss easy therefore not interesting. In dozens of hours in Act 3 the only and I do mean THE ONLY memorable and challenging fight was at the house of hope. Basically BG 3 turns into Disco Elysium soon after you reach level cup.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What about the Dragon and its riders that attacked Mind Flayer ship from trailers? They are just a setup for the start?

Also why are we fighting Chosen of anything with low level characters?!
The dragon-riding githyanki who attack the illithid nautiloid in the opening cutscenes do reappear later in the game. There's even an entire optional githyanki section late in Act I.

As for the leveling in BG3, keep in mind that the game called "D&D 5th edition" gives characters of all classes an enormous jump in power at level 5, which can be reached in BG3 halfway through Act I (not coincidentally, the number of game hours to reach the next level increases greatly at that point).

You are level 12 by end of Act 2 ?
Still low level, Chosen of anything need to be real danger, this just sounds like bad design. In BG1 we fought Sarevok that was not chosen of Anything, just another Bhaalspawn with a tiny bit of divine power. Chosen are supposed to be closer to Irenicus than Sarevok.
A completionist will reach level 10 at about the end of Act II, leaving just two levels gained in Act III before reaching the level cap of BG3.
Ok, at best you are fighting a Chosen of Myrkul at lvl 10?! That is a joke.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So you will reach the level cap pretty early on and a large portion of the quests become pointless time wasting and instead of exploring the city you just go for the ending.
Noooooo I can't explore the city and roleplay, I have to see the number go up! Number, please go up, please!!
You can "explore and roleplay" but because of reaching a level cup ALL combat encounters become piss easy therefore not interesting. In dozens of hours in Act 3 the only and I do mean THE ONLY memorable and challenging fight was at the house of hope. Basically BG 3 turns into Disco Elysium soon after you reach level cup.
This is a different concern. The difficulty of the fight wouldn't improve, if you could get +2000 xp at the end of it. Ultimately you are fighting level 12 fights in Act III, and their tuning is irrelevant of the actual level cap.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I think that Act III is about equal in length to Act I (including the entire Underdark, Grymforge, and monastery/creche), but it clearly had a large amount of cut content and probably should have been 50 hours rather than 30. However, this would have resulted in BG3 being about 100 hours in length, which returns to an earlier point that BG3 really should have been two separate games, or rather a game and its sequel, each about 50 hours in length.
First, you're wrong, second, No.

This is the first time we got a proper RPG with a length comparable to NWN and I will not let a millennial with the attention span of a gnat disparage it. The kind of people who complain about getting too much game for their money should be put in front of a firing squad.

Granted, it would have been bizarre to release a game named Baldur's Gate where the player never actually reached the city of Baldur's Gate itself

Yeah, that would have been weird, wouldn't it :lol:

Imagine if that game then became one of the Codex's top RPG's of all time.

:hmmm:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Capping at 12, when 5E has material going up to 20, was a questionable design decision.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Capping at 12, when 5E has material going up to 20, was a questionable design decision.
They decided to not implemented 40% of the abilities and options to cut costs and development time.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Especially since you're fighting basically gods well before the endgame already.

Crichton

Prophet
I'm not sure I'd put the game up as "one of the greats" just yet, but I like the level cap, I've always been ambivalent about Skinner-box shit; I understand introducing the player to systems gradually but after a while I get sick of playing a meta game for food pellets. Somewhere around 2/3-3/4 of the game is the sweet spot for just taking the training wheels off and playing the game and this game hits it. 5E's problem has never been that the player lacks for buttons to press.

In semi-related news, I also rate the acts 1 > 3 > 2 (possibly because I'm not upset about the level cap). I liked the openness of Acts 1 and 3 where I felt like I was actually playing the game. In Act 2, I thought things were too linear and Shadowheart was really at the wheel and I was just along for the ride. I also wasn't a huge fan of Patrick Stewart J.K. Simmons; his backstory is almost as convoluted as "the Emperor", Selune-worshiper who turns to Shar because of butthurt causing the curse and then turns to Myrkul to resurrect his daughter (he respeccs more often than the PCs!) but has to kidnap her Uber-lesbian girlfriend. Later this same guy undergoes a another major change when he receives a netherstone and joins a conspiracy to control an Elder Brain. This is just fanfiction-tier shit.

On the other hand act 3 has Orrin (lots of fun, nice connection to earlier games), several decent quest-lines to pursue (Iron throne, House of Hope, Red Dwarf Serial Killer, Sharran Enclave, etc) and some of the best companion interactions (I was down on the idea of Jaheira/Minsc, but I have to admit, I like what they did with it. Jaheira's family was pretty cringe though).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/amelia-tyle...-want-to-tear-the-world-apart-with-its-teeth/

Amelia Tyler, Baldur's Gate 3's narrator, talks putting a voice to the Dark Urge's 'feral, visceral, animalistic, want to tear the world apart with [its] teeth'​

I sat down with the Sword Coast's illustrious narrator earlier this week, and talked ripping, tearing, and animal psychology.

Baldur's Gate 3 has voiced narration—a lot of it, as I've personally confirmed by playing the dang thing while having the sound turned on. I recently had the pleasure of speaking to the voice behind the game's reams and reams of narration, Amelia Tyler, earlier this week.

While Tyler's dulcet tones do stay largely consistent, there are noticeable differences if you play the game's different origin characters. She's on record as having done over a dozen different narration styles for the game, each representing a different character's inner voice.

Not for every single line of narration, as Tyler assures me, but for key moments? Absolutely. "When we started off recording the narration for the early access version, it was very much a one-note narration style … but with much more of an attitude. The brief I was given was 'Scar from the Lion King'."

Granted, that's something we knew already from her past interviews. However, she explains why they shifted away from smarmy judgement to inner monologue, namely, that it would get exhausting to be judged all the time. Instead, "we wanted [the narration] to echo the choices the player was making, so it was very much your narrator, whether you're choosing to play a Paladin, or Dark Urge, or anything in between."

Tyler says that philosophy happened almost by accident, during those early access days of experimentation. "I don't think it was a conscious decision at the beginning, to give it those different voices, it just sort of evolved naturally. We'd get to a more Dark Urgey line or a Shadowheart line or an Astarion line or a Wyll line, and [I'd say] them in a way that allowed me to convey emotion … you never wanna tell a player how to feel, but I can echo the emotion of a moment."

That resonates with me, as someone who has DM'd games of Dungeons & Dragons (which Baldur's Gate 3 is built upon). While I'm certainly not a voice actor for one of the best RPGs in the past decade, I've definitely found myself saddled with the task of providing a narrated inner monologue for my players. Tyler agrees, drawing another line between the role of Dungeon Master and narrator.

"That's how we wanted it to happen," Tyler says. "We imagined it almost like 'I'm behind you with my chin on your shoulder, just whispering in your ear and tilting in your head, like: look at that!" She does, however, go on to say that there are some key differences between DMing and narrating—namely, she doesn't have to describe anything visual. "The narration [is used] to describe anything that you can't see. It's your feelings, or a smell, or a memory, or [tadpole manipulation]."

Leading up to this interview, Tyler suggested I give the Dark Urge—a character who suffers from violent impulses—a spin. Armed with that knowledge, I started picking up on how much more feral her line reads became, whenever I was being tempted down the path of blood. I asked her how she found that energy.

"I mimic [the character's] intonation or their pacing, the rise and fall of their voice. Karlach is a little more boisterous, Shadowheart's is just lifted in pitch slightly, and a bit more delicate. But for Dark Urge, throughout the game … [it] doesn't talk. So I didn't have that to base it on. So we took it back to: 'What does this character represent? How do they think? What drives them?'

"I am very much the voice of the [Dark Urge's] bloodlust, of that feral, visceral, animalistic, want to tear the world apart with your teeth," she says. As for where that darkness came from, Tyler gives thanks to her background in animal psychology of all things. "I did a lot of animal studies," she starts, before quickly reassuring me: "I wasn't in a lab, attaching electrodes to things—animal psychology, study. Behaviour in the wild versus behaviour in captivity."

"There was a lot of that which got mimicked in Dark Urge. That kind of caged animal, pacing, needing to be free, needing to kill and not even really knowing why. It's just: that's how you're wired … It's tapping into something more primal in that character, it's not necessarily someone else's voice. It's the part of you you might not like."

She then goes on to reflect on her other shifts in performance with the game's other origin characters, and how her route was similar, if a little less wild: "The narration often echoes those hidden feelings that they have, those little moments of self doubt—or noticing something and feeling uneasy, and not knowing why. It's very much taking it back to that basic animal psychology of whatever grounds that character."

Tyler also has something called aphantasia, which affects around 1-5% of the population according to the Aphantasia network website. Simply put, people with aphantasia don't have a 'mind's eye', which means they're unable to summon an image to their minds. For some, this can even extend to imagining mental 'images' linked to other senses, like sound and taste—like many conditions of its type, it exists on a spectrum.

For Tyler, as a voice actor, this has meant she's needed to rely on the emotional side of things. Which, if you're needing to convey the emotion of a specific character, speaking to that inner voice, is very helpful: "I translate instructions into feelings. So that has been, apparently, very useful to what I do. I'm not trying to tell someone how to see me, I'm just feeling it—and trusting that translates."

If you've not started a second playthrough yet, I'd encourage you to pick an origin character—and pay close attention to those lines of bespoke narration. The Dark Urge is the most obvious, but Tyler's added her own personal flourish to every one of them. While she might not lend voices to a huge cast of NPCs like your average DM, she's everyone's inner monologue, and that leads to some pretty special performances.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I also wasn't a huge fan of Patrick Stewart J.K. Simmons; his backstory is almost as convoluted as "the Emperor", Selune-worshiper who turns to Shar because of butthurt causing the curse and then turns to Myrkul to resurrect his daughter (he respeccs more often than the PCs!) but has to kidnap her Uber-lesbian girlfriend. Later this same guy undergoes a another major change when he receives a netherstone and joins a conspiracy to control an Elder Brain. This is just fanfiction-tier shit.
The phrase "fan-fiction tier" is an apt description of the companions in BG3, though. :M They all have ludicrous backstories, made even more ridiculous by their being first level. Not sure why an NPC should be different.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

No one plays 5e past lv 14 because it doesn't work, enemies lack the nasty abilities of the earlier edition hence DMing and/or challening the party is near impossible.

There are more EPIC modules for 3.5e than high level modules for 5e.

Anyway, if my BG3 main character meets my BG2 main character >

Especially since you're fighting basically gods well before the endgame already.

In 5e, monsters and Gods are much weaker. You can kill multiple intellect devourers at lv 1 in BG3. In NWN1, the same monster is CR 7.

They all have ludicrous backstories, made even more ridiculous by their being first level. Not sure why an NPC should be different.

Yep. The most insane case is Gale. His backstory is Elminster tier, a lv 29 character in AD&D. Yet Gale is a lv 1 nobody.

Rhobar121

Scholar

They all have ludicrous backstories, made even more ridiculous by their being first level. Not sure why an NPC should be different.

Yep. The most insane case is Gale. His backstory is Elminster tier, a lv 29 character in AD&D. Yet Gale is a lv 1 nobody.
To be fair Mystra has a long history of having absolutely no standards.
At least Gale was already a wizard, unlike Elminster when she got to him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3814046073273691469
Hotfix #10 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.3911062

Hello everyone,

We’ve got a hotfix for you today, addressing some visual issues and bugs.

This hotfix corrects an issue where Astarion’s voice wasn’t quite following what he was supposed to say during dialogues.

Speaking of following, we’ve also asked Shadowheart to stop getting distracted by the wonderful vistas of the Sword Coast. She should now follow along with the rest of the team.

We still need to do some testing on Mac, and the Hotfix will be live for the platform soon.

We continue to look into your reports and are working on further fixes.

Thank you for taking the time to submit these issues to us. If you have any bugs to report, please reach out to our support team. Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3!

FIXES
  • Fixed Shadowheart not following the party.
  • Fixed the sliders for eye makeup and tattoo intensity not working on controller.
  • Fixed a potential crash relating to Vulkan. This solves the DEVICE_LOST error upon minimising the game window.
  • Fixed an issue causing a desync between Astarion's voiced lines and subtitles.
  • Player characters will no longer be on literal fire in the scene with

in the crèche.
  • Fixed male dwarf barbarians' shoes, which were missing their texture and looked like big blueberries.
  • The waypoints menu now opens correctly when triggered from the Character Sheet on controller.
  • Fixed items always being picked up as wares after you picked up at least one as a ware.
  • Fixed enemies in Ramazith's Tower getting stuck during combat if they are trying to fly from a lower floor to reach players on an upper floor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...-lines-where-it-goes-full-on-terry-pratchett/

Baldur's Gate 3's narrator shares her favourite moments: 'I particularly enjoyed the [lines] where it goes full on Terry Pratchett'​

Massive script aside, Amelia Tyler says certain lines still stuck with her.

I had the pleasure of sitting down for a chat with Amelia Tyler, the voice of Baldur's Gate 3's narrator, earlier this week. While we talked at length about the Dark Urge, I also couldn't pass up the opportunity to ask her about her favourite lines. Which, in retrospect, is a big ask.

"There are a lot of words in this game," she reminds me, like I'd just asked her to pick out her favourite grains of sand in a desert. "Some of them have four apostrophes, and that's fine … as far as favourite lines are concerned, everybody's favourite thing is 'Authority'," she says, which plays whenever your Tav wields their mindflayer parasite to make others bend the knee. "I very much enjoy that I have a 'word' now."

As far as her personal picks go, though: "There are some very sassy gravestones in Baldur's Gate 3 which I really enjoy. It takes us a specific amount of bitterness to carve an insult into stone, knowing that's how that person is going to be remembered for the rest of history … 'May the crows use this grave as a privy' is just mwah.'"

When it comes to the game's more mournful moments, though, Tyler points to Act 2. "There are shadow vestiges, like—memories of people, in Act 2… I really enjoyed those, because I got to go full-on into that melancholy tone," she says, referring to the shadow-cursed victims you slay, which sometimes leave vestiges behind which give a glimpse into the lives they once led.

"You get it all the time in games where you kill a whole bunch of people and then you progress to the next level. You never think about 'well that was Colin, the baker that you just murdered', he had a life and a family and his cat's not going to get fed tonight. I love giving that little bit of extra depth that brought those NPCs into reality a bit more… It's kind of fascinating as an acting exercise as well, like, can you encapsulate an entire person's life in one paragraph?"

We also got talking about Terry Pratchett, a prolific fantasy author who was famous for the Discworld series especially. "I particularly enjoyed the [lines] where it goes full-on Terry Pratchett. Like: 'Tongs! A wide variety of tongs' [or] 'The sheep stares at you with unsettling malice' … I love those little twinges of comedy, 'cause I grew up on Terry Pratchett."

We talk a little about contrast in storytelling, the kind Pratchett wielded: sincerity in one hand, joy in the other. It's not just present in Baldur's Gate 3, though—it emerges naturally during most Dungeons & Dragons games as well. Ask anyone that's been in the hobby long enough, and they'll have stories about moments of emotion that surprised them, as well as times where they bust a gut laughing with their mates.

"If the whole game was one tone, it would get very, very boring and it wouldn't be reflective of what a D&D game is. There are those sessions that are just combat start to finish, [but then] you have your comedic shopping episodes. It feels very accurate as an experience as to what a D&D game is."

Ultimately, I just think it's heartwarming to hear that Tyler—despite having voiced an absurd amount of Baldur's Gate 3's massive script—still found joy in really specific moments. I think she's right, too. The typical goofy Larianisms give a nice contrast to the game's more serious moments and themes—themes which it's not afraid to shy away from, as I discussed with Astarion's voice actor back in August. And considering the breadth of work Tyler's had to narrate, she's seen it all.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone know how to disable the outline function fully? I got third-person working with camera mods etc, but that damn white outline when mousing over stuff ruins my immershun. I can't find anything when googling it, but there must be some hidden ini option to remove it. Help a brother out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom