Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are you retarded? Do you actually play RPGs and are interested in the genre, or just check out games that are hyped up by Reddit?

Where is that fucking amazing C&C in Baldurs gay 3? The game has exactly the same fake C&C as every other RPG, while having 10-100x bigger budget. The whole actual C&C here is ability to kill people and lose content associated with them, fucking amazing, I could do the same in Morrowind 20 years ago without all the gay sex. Other than that you have fake dialogue options that lead to the exactly same outcomes, even tho they suggest the existence of different ways to proceed. Go to the Githyanki Creche, it shows this very well - you theoretically have 9000 dialogue options, creating illusion of many possible ways to go through this place, but in reality EVERY SINGLE CHOICE will result in the EXACTLY THE SAME OUTCOME.

What fucking "playstyles depending on the roles"? It's one of the games where your class matters the least. Everyone can do everything, it's fucking 5E. Skills of the classes are pointless, because +2 bonus from proficiency or +4 form expertise barely matters when I'm throwing D20 and can apply 9000 buffs to rolls and also reroll x times. Your fucking Wizard with expertise in Arcana, will be barely any better at it than Barbarian with no proficiency. Everyone can use scrolls. Gear is not gated by class. Spellcasters play a little different than martials in combat, and that's it. All martials play like other martials, all spellcasters play like other spellcasters. You will do exactly the same run will every class, with some small flavour differences in dialogues, no better than what Owlcat etc. did for 1/10 of the BG's budget. Hell, many 1 man indies done in a basement have shit on the exactly same level or better. Where is the fucking revolution that you're saying we've been waiting for?

This game is full decline, it's the opposite of what we wanted. You wanted fully animated and voiced 100 hours of bear&squid gay sex, and haha licking goblin feet, BDSM and kicking squirrels so funny and quirky - And you got it. Go consoom it in silence, or nut over it with your reddit friends, but stop trying to convince monocled RPG enjoyers that this filth is somehow their dream. It's not.
From the Happy "25 years of BG thread":
Thanks for 25 years of RtwP cancer you started
asfd3432123.jpg

Do you even know what you want or like dude? Because all you seem to be doing is whining for the sake of getting some attention.

Shaki

Arbiter
Are you retarded? Do you actually play RPGs and are interested in the genre, or just check out games that are hyped up by Reddit?

Where is that fucking amazing C&C in Baldurs gay 3? The game has exactly the same fake C&C as every other RPG, while having 10-100x bigger budget. The whole actual C&C here is ability to kill people and lose content associated with them, fucking amazing, I could do the same in Morrowind 20 years ago without all the gay sex. Other than that you have fake dialogue options that lead to the exactly same outcomes, even tho they suggest the existence of different ways to proceed. Go to the Githyanki Creche, it shows this very well - you theoretically have 9000 dialogue options, creating illusion of many possible ways to go through this place, but in reality EVERY SINGLE CHOICE will result in the EXACTLY THE SAME OUTCOME.

What fucking "playstyles depending on the roles"? It's one of the games where your class matters the least. Everyone can do everything, it's fucking 5E. Skills of the classes are pointless, because +2 bonus from proficiency or +4 form expertise barely matters when I'm throwing D20 and can apply 9000 buffs to rolls and also reroll x times. Your fucking Wizard with expertise in Arcana, will be barely any better at it than Barbarian with no proficiency. Everyone can use scrolls. Gear is not gated by class. Spellcasters play a little different than martials in combat, and that's it. All martials play like other martials, all spellcasters play like other spellcasters. You will do exactly the same run will every class, with some small flavour differences in dialogues, no better than what Owlcat etc. did for 1/10 of the BG's budget. Hell, many 1 man indies done in a basement have shit on the exactly same level or better. Where is the fucking revolution that you're saying we've been waiting for?

This game is full decline, it's the opposite of what we wanted. You wanted fully animated and voiced 100 hours of bear&squid gay sex, and haha licking goblin feet, BDSM and kicking squirrels so funny and quirky - And you got it. Go consoom it in silence, or nut over it with your reddit friends, but stop trying to convince monocled RPG enjoyers that this filth is somehow their dream. It's not.
From the Happy "25 years of BG thread":
Thanks for 25 years of RtwP cancer you started
View attachment 45651

Do you even know what you want or like dude? Because all you seem to be doing is whining for the sake of getting some attention.
I'm just not retarded. RtwP was cancer, but making a game TB doesnt automatically make it good. In fact making a piss poor easy TB and forcing players into 60 hours of mindless rightclicking in combat, is worse than RtwP, because in RtwP you can at least deal with shitty combat quickly.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
I'm just not retarded. RtwP was cancer, but making a game TB doesnt automatically make it good. In fact making a piss poor easy TB and forcing players into 60 hours of mindless rightclicking in combat, is worse than RtwP, because in RtwP you can at least deal with shitty combat quickly.
Maybe you should just nope out of Baldur's Gate threads, it sounds like the entire series isn't anything for you. Thanks for confirming you're just here to bitch, though.

Shaki

Arbiter
Maybe you should just nope out of Baldur's Gate threads, it sounds like the entire series isn't anything for you. Thanks for confirming you're just here to bitch, though.
Nah, I like oryginał BGs, despite bringing decline in combat and romances, they were still great games. I'm just not a zoomer cuck who feels the need to pretend every thing he likes is perfect, and world will somehow end if he stops slurping the cum of devs he likes.

BG3 just has no redeeming qualities, unlike originals and hundreds of other flawed games I still liked.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Nah, I like oryginał BGs, despite bringing decline in combat and romances, they were still great games. I'm just not a zoomer cuck who feels the need to pretend every thing he likes is perfect, and world will somehow end if he stops slurping the cum of devs he likes.

BG3 just has no redeeming qualities, unlike originals and hundreds of other flawed games I still liked.
I asked you this before, but again, if this game really has no redeeming qualities why spend months on end posting about it? Why put so much effort into something you, from the very core of your being, dislike? Do you think letting something live rent-free in your head like that will cause it to cease existing?
And how about other games? I don't see you posting in any of the old Skyrim threads constantly. Why aren't you, considering you can find the effort and time to do so for this game, also not posting there? Or do you actually like Skyrim and think BG3 has no redeeming qualities compared to Bethesda slop?

If it bothers you so much, just walk away from it.

Last edited:

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I'll make the point again:

Act 1 was very, very good and deserving of the hype. The story hadn't gone off the rails yet. The combat was still pretty good without getting into the haste non sense. The side quests were really good + different areas of the map were integrated very well. Stuff like the masterwork weapon was cool how you bounced around to different areas. Hag section was probably the highlight of the game.

Act 2 got worse. Story went off the rails. Combat was getting too easy to exploit (I will give them credit on an evil playthrough the assault on moon towers was actually challenging fighting drider with no extra allies.) Map was way less explorative.

Act 3 was pretty crap. Someone commented how BG3 was better than other rpgs because they had better side quests than other games. Harpy song luring your party vs collect rat tails. How about collect clown body parts? Is that better than collecting rat tails? I have to be honest I never even completed the game because Act 3 got so boring.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

Pretending everything you dislike has no redeeming qualities is just as bad as pretending everything you like is perfect.

Shaki

Arbiter

Pretending everything you dislike has no redeeming qualities is just as bad as pretending everything you like is perfect.
I dislike many games, but BG3 I think is 1 of maybe 3-4 RPGs I've ever judged as having no redeeming qualities. For example I absolutely hate POE series, but I mentioned in the past that Deadfire has decent itemization and build autism with the added dual classing, and in TB can be fun when treating it purely as an exploration/combat game. In BG3 I just cant find anything good, despite trying really hard.

raeven

Educated
I have to be honest I never even completed the game because Act 3 got so boring

I hear this a lot about BG3 and I always find it very surprising.

I thought act 3 was the strongest of the game by far, and it wasn't even close. I think for me that was because act 3 is when you got to see all of the tie-ins to previous acts and their consequences. There were dozens of examples of this and I was really impressed by that.

There were more bugs in act 3 but it was also a lot more ambitious. It's a lot easier to prevent weird issues and continuity problems when you're in a set of discrete areas outdoors as opposed to in a city surrounded by citizens and faction cops 24/7. I appreciated that the game really reached for the feeling of being in a bustling city even if it led to some problems.

As for the quests in act 3, there were a few duds sure but all of the big setpiece quests / battles were banked for that last act. There are about ten boss fights in act 3 that could reasonably be endgame battles in any other game. I don't wanna list them all for spoiler reasons but for me act 3 was when the game really shined. I enjoyed acts 1 and 2 but without act 3 it would have just been a "good" game, as opposed to an all time favorite for me.

I also really enjoy cities and towns in all RPGs, so this may reflect my own bias.

raeven

Educated
The size of act 3 was about as long as acts 1 and 2 combined for me, taking place entirely within a city, so it's not surprising that there were more bugs as well. And yeah, a few more dud quests. But also wayyyyy more amazing quests.

Honestly none of the individual quests in acts 1 and 2 really stood out to me or were memorable in the way that say, fallout 1 and 2 were. Only in act 3 did you get those kinds of quests where it felt like you were really impacting and shaping the world around you, rather than just moving on after completing them.

Rhobar121

Scholar

I dislike many games, but BG3 I think is 1 of maybe 3-4 RPGs I've ever judged as having no redeeming qualities. For example I absolutely hate POE series, but I mentioned in the past that Deadfire has decent itemization and build autism with the added dual classing, and in TB can be fun when treating it purely as an exploration/combat game. In BG3 I just cant find anything good, despite trying really hard.
If this were true, everyone would forget about the game after a week.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3975056106332669474

Hotfix #17 Now Live!
Version Number: 4.1.1.4494476

Hello everyone,

We’ve amended some of the items below to make sure that we’re continuing to remain transparent, and can provide you with further clarification in relation to some of the fixes!

Work is still ongoing to ensure future updates for Mac players will arrive alongside PC versions, and Mac players can expect to receive both Hotfix 16 & 17, together in an update which we’ll be able to talk more about soon.

If you’re experiencing issues after installing the latest update, please check whether the issue persists with your mods uninstalled. As mods aren’t officially supported at the moment, some installed mods may become temporarily incompatible with new patches and hotfixes.
If the issue persists after uninstalling the mods, please reach out to our support team with your report!

Thank you, truly, for taking the time to submit these issues to us, and for sharing your feedback. For more details on the fixes in Hotfix #17, please read on!

If you do have any bugs to report, please continue to reach out to our support team.

Thank you for playing Baldur’s Gate 3.

PERFORMANCE AND CODE
  • [Fixed] Black and colourful visual artefacts sometimes appearing for 1 frame on PS5 when switching scenes or opening and closing UI windows.
  • [Fix Submitted] Error 544

We have increased the compression of savegames, which should fix several issues caused by large savegame files, including some instances of the Error 544 message. We have also reduced the size of save files by removing summons that don't exist in the game anymore.

• Guarded against crashes caused when certain character resources (Actions, Bonus Actions, Superiority Dice, etc.) were added and later removed by a mod or cheat engine.

GAMEPLAY AND COMBAT
  • [Fixed] In Honour Mode, the aura of Cazador's

now properly dissipates after he's

. Sorry!
  • [Fixed] The camera sometimes zooming in while jumping or casting projectile spells.
  • [Fixed] The ability to walk through open doors when you click beyond them from far away.
  • [Fixed] Thieves' Tools in the camp chest or inventory of a companion who is waiting at camp not being accessible when lockpicking.

UI
  • [Fixed] Safeguard Shield's Saving Throw modifier is now correctly reflected on the Character Sheet.

FLOW AND SCRIPTING
  • [Fixed] Gale will no longer permanently leave the party if you don't offer him any magic items while talking to him – unless you're abundantly clear that you don't plan on ever doing so.

This is a temporary bug fix that aims to avoid Gale immediately leaving the party when players are unable to hand over an item. In Hotfix #16, we began the process of updating a player’s ability to access certain quest-related items, even if they were in the camp chest, or in the inventory of a companion waiting at camp.

However, the UI through which items can be donated to Gale has not yet been updated, which meant that the dialogue could be triggered if the items were available elsewhere, but would not show in the UI to be donated. This risked placing players in a situation where Gale expected an item from them, and they were unable to provide one.

With this initial fix, closing the UI or using any line other than “I’m not giving you anything. Not now, not ever” will prevent Gale from immediately abandoning your party, until the UI logic has been updated.

If you’re keen to give Gale the boot, and don’t have an actual shoe to share in your inventory, selecting “I’m not giving you anything. Not now, not ever”, will still cause Gale to leave your party, permanently!

• [Fixed] characters getting stuck 'in a story event', preventing you from controlling them, after getting killed in the fight with Grym.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I have to be honest I never even completed the game because Act 3 got so boring

I thought act 3 was the strongest of the game by far, and it wasn't even close. I think for me that was because act 3 is when you got to see all of the tie-ins to previous acts and their consequences. There were dozens of examples of this and I was really impressed by that.

There were more bugs in act 3 but it was also a lot more ambitious. It's a lot easier to prevent weird issues and continuity problems when you're in a set of discrete areas outdoors as opposed to in a city surrounded by citizens and faction cops 24/7. I appreciated that the game really reached for the feeling of being in a bustling city even if it led to some problems.

As for the quests in act 3, there were a few duds sure but all of the big setpiece quests / battles were banked for that last act. There are about ten boss fights in act 3 that could reasonably be endgame battles in any other game. I don't wanna list them all for spoiler reasons but for me act 3 was when the game really shined. I enjoyed acts 1 and 2 but without act 3 it would have just been a "good" game, as opposed to an all time favorite for me.

I also really enjoy cities and towns in all RPGs, so this may reflect my own bias.
I was playing evil and there's nothing to see regarding impact of your choices besides missing content.

Besides that I just wasn't invested anymore because the story was so convoluted and terrible. The writing of the main story is legitimate garbage. How can any game be considered an all time great with such a piss poor main story?

Another comparison I'll make to bioware games is banter between party members. Bioware usually does a very good job of this. I've replayed mass effect games just to see how different party members interact with each other, their advice and reactions to player choices. Bioware sucked in this regard. The banter between party members sucked. Oh look Wyll is trying to bang the frog lady again.

One of them the things I liked about Bioware games is your party always felt very lively and like an actual team traveling together. There's a scene in kotor where the big 3 (revan, bastilla, carth) all get captured and you have the rest of the party members debating how to rescue them. Very cool interaction.

This game has nothing like that. None of the party members are intertwined like that. Also the majority of party members are just boring and suck.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The size of act 3 was about as long as acts 1 and 2 combined for me, taking place entirely within a city, so it's not surprising that there were more bugs as well. And yeah, a few more dud quests. But also wayyyyy more amazing quests.

Honestly none of the individual quests in acts 1 and 2 really stood out to me or were memorable in the way that say, fallout 1 and 2 were. Only in act 3 did you get those kinds of quests where it felt like you were really impacting and shaping the world around you, rather than just moving on after completing them.
I don't care about impacting quests feeling like I'm "impacting the world around me." Who gives a fuck? You need to feel like a special snowflake? Grounded quests can feel like some of the most impactful. Hag quest was the best in the game and it wasn't hugely impactful. It was saving one person. Scale means nothing. Large scale or small scale are both fine. All depends on writing. The writing was so bad in this game I lost all interest. The 3 dead gods are controlling a giant alien brain...zzzzzzzz

raeven

Educated

I don't care about impacting quests feeling like I'm "impacting the world around me." Who gives a fuck? You need to feel like a special snowflake? Grounded quests can feel like some of the most impactful. Hag quest was the best in the game and it wasn't hugely impactful. It was saving one person. Scale means nothing. Large scale or small scale are both fine. All depends on writing. The writing was so bad in this game I lost all interest. The 3 dead gods are controlling a giant alien brain...zzzzzzzz

C&C isn't for everyone, I get it

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Besides that I just wasn't invested anymore because the story was so convoluted and terrible. The writing of the main story is legitimate garbage. How can any game be considered an all time great with such a piss poor main story?

Have you played through a video game story recently? Everything else is so horrible it's practically vomit inducing. At least BG3 has two workable Acts before the main quest goes sideways.

Honestly, it was mostly the reveal at the end of Act 2 that ruined everything. It was perfectly serviceable before.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

C&C isn't for everyone, I get it
C&C is great but the scale is irrelevant. The quality of writing is what is important. Just making something larger scale doesn't make it better.

Again the C&C sucked for being evil with the exception of the Shar quest line which was cool either good or evil. Everything else was just oh I'm missing something here that a good playthrough has.

Kiste

Augur
Can we please return to talking about the important stuff? My big-titted Half-Orc dickgirl got her boypussy fucked by a bear.

raeven

Educated
I'm doing an evil playthrough now and I'm seeing a ton of content I didn't see before. Just about to recruit Minthara now.

Despite being dark urge, I'm also not playing as a murderhobo. My goal as an evil character is to get inside the cult and seize its power for myself. While I end up killing a lot of innocents in the process, my goals are understandable and logical, I'm not just killing people for the lulz or anything.

So far, this playthrough has exposed me to lots of questlines and dialogue that I never got to experience in my good playthrough. Your characterization of the two paths as being simply a matter of less content in one vs the other is not accurate for me.

Robber Baron

Savant
Halsin is such a bad character, there's something deeply disgusting about the way he hits on a male PC and then talks joyfully about the kids who ask him about bedtime stories, makes you wonder if the poor children got the monkeypox already

raeven

Educated
That said, I do agree that the big picture story of BG3 is kinda meh. The chosen three, the big brain, the cult... None of it feels very original.

It does a lot better in the smaller beats of the story, like finding out the true identity of the guardian (twice!), meeting jaheiras family, learning about ketherics motivations and his daughter, etc. But the overarching could easily have been spat out by chatGPT after reading enough forgotten realms pulp.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

Act 3 had some highs (I loved the House of Hope and enjoyed seeing Auntie Ethel again, although I wish they'd made more of her) but I think the issue that a lot of people had with it was that the pacing got thrown and it felt kind of disjointed in a way that's particularly noticeable in a high stakes story driven RPG. I agree that there were parts that stood out as excellent but I felt like it was less than the sum of its parts overall.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Halsin is such a bad character, there's something deeply disgusting about the way he hits on a male PC and then talks joyfully about the kids who ask him about bedtime stories, makes you wonder if the poor children got the monkeypox already
We all know that this character only got any role at all because of reddit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom