Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

jf8350143

Liturgist
Comparing to BG3, DA:O(or even DA2 and DA:I)'s writiing is a master piece.

Last edited:

Orutrus

Literate
I have finally finished Act 1 and here are my impressions.

THE GOOD:
  • Map building. Both natural environments and dungeons. They are very fun to explore.​
  • Graphics and overall technical quality. The game looks beautiful.​
  • The quality of the voice actors and mocap is very good. Raphael, Minthara, Mizora, Lae'zel? are brilliantly played.​
  • The combat, both the design of it and the interactions with the environment and that it is limited and not plagued by encounter after encounter of trashmobs. It is too easy but is fun nonetheless.​
  • Overall map dressing. All the maps look very rich in details.​
  • Some companions like Astarion or Lae-zel are very fun. Others like Karlach or Wyll are embarrassing.​
  • Very good gameplay and handling. It's a very good videogame.Variety when it comes to approaching some quests. I think it's really all an illusion and the game will shepherd you where it wants, but the idea is there and at that level is very well resolved.

THE MEH:
  • The music. One can barely remember a memorable theme over the course of the game and most are variations of the same one. There is no theme that sticks like Exploring the Plains, Bhaalspawn Battle, Mass Effect main, PoE main or Leliana's Song. The attempt to replicate Leliana's song with the tiefling bard at the druid grove was poor.​
  • The dialogues and texts in general don't shine for their quality, there are many lights and shadows. Voice acting helps with this but some times is not enough to cover the disaster.​
  • The interface. I like the look but the handling is a fucking chaos.​
  • Character backstories don't make sense for level 1 characters. I understand that some explanation will be given for this, I guess because of the parasite issue as Wyll hints but at this point they are not consistent as backstories for level 1 characters and any DM would tell them to write something that makes sense.​
  • Too many objects specially in dungeons make them messy to navigate and loot. Too much unnecessary loot. The item highlight key doesn't always work well.​
  • Crafting. I have never used it and unless it brings something new or needed for survival I will continue not to do it. It is an absolute waste of time.​
  • There is no day and night cycle with the opportunities it offers. Nor wandering monsters to disturb the rest. Or to disturb the path to camp. The idea of the camp is good but it is too exploitable.​
THE BAD:
  • Too slow pace due to a lot of cinematics, although this improves with time.
  • New generation Forgotten Realms, its aesthetics and its social and political agenda everywhere.​
  • Too much fantasy for my taste in very little space. In Act1 alone there are illithid ships, divine conflicts, demigods acting in the shadows, githzerai, red dragons, the Underdark... Too much. I can't wait to see what they pull out of their sleeves for Act 2. This comes from the previous point, of course.​
  • Many NPCs act and talk as if they were humans from 2024. There are very good exceptions but in general they look like humans with another skin. Voice actors are a double-edged sword here.​
  • The main character's lines of dialogue are embarrassing. One of the worst things about the game. I understand that it has to adapt to an infinite number of different characters, but they are very, very bad.​
  • Some of the dialogues of the companions are really bad. The moment when Karlach and Wyll meet for the first time is embarrassing. The moment when Shadowcoochie's and Lae'zel's interact at the camp made me want to shoot myself in the mouth. In general, the companions leave something to be desired. The rules of 5th edition are the fucking garbage that I already suspected. But I didn't know they were that bad. Theres basically no player choices in how the character advances.​
Good videogame? Yes, by all means it's one of the great videogames released in the past years. But it is nowhere near the second coming in RPGs as many people claim. I have the feeling I have played this many times before, just split in different games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Angry Joe putted Baizuo's Gate 3 as the top 1 best game of 2023. At 43:26 Hogwarts Legacy was the second and Rogue Trader was the 10th for him.

I don't take him seriously since his Risen 1 review.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Just out of curiosity, what did he say?
He played the 360 version which is a red flag off the bat. He complained mostly about graphics, and getting stun-locked. I don't remember if he finished the game or not. I'm sure he'd complain about the ending if he did, which is a bullshit ending.
If you buy a game, you assume that it is playable in all versions. From what I remember, the port of Risen 1 was so shitty that the game was barely playable. So it wasn't anything bad so I don't know what your problem is.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've done playthrough as a Human Male Paladin. Can anyone suggest a different combination of gender, race and class, which would give me more reactivity?

Or am I better off playing as one of the companion NPCs? Which one?

Rhobar121

Scholar
I've done playthrough as a Human Male Paladin. Can anyone suggest a different combination of gender, race and class, which would give me more reactivity?

Dark Urge (regardless of good or evil) has by far the most unique content (especially act 3) that you could say it was the default route at one point. Anything that isn't a standard race also has a decent amount of reactivity.
In Act 1, the Drow are definitely the king, and the Githyanki have a lot as well.

Hagashager

Educated
He played the 360 version which is a red flag off the bat. He complained mostly about graphics, and getting stun-locked. I don't remember if he finished the game or not. I'm sure he'd complain about the ending if he did, which is a bullshit ending.
If you buy a game, you assume that it is playable in all versions. From what I remember, the port of Risen 1 was so shitty that the game was barely playable. So it wasn't anything bad so I don't know what your problem is.
I don't have a problem. He played the 360, which is a red flag for having a shitty time. I know this because *I* played the 360 version initially too.

His criticisms are completely valid as far as the port goes.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Drow and Gith have the most reactivities in act 1. After act 1 there is barely any reactivity to your race no matter what race you are playing.

Gender barely matters at all through out the game(unless you are play as drow, then some drow npc will treat you differently base on your gender). Aagain only in act 1, after that it doesn't matter.

All classes have many unique dialogues and interactions, from what I can tell bard has the most dialogue while barbarian has the most unique interaction.

IMO original characters are not worth it(except dark urge), they have some unique cut scenes but their stories stays the same. Gale is the only exception because for some reason Larian decided that you have to play as Gale to finish his personal quest.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Complained about everything and called the worst 360 rpg

But as I've said, Larian appeal towards "normies" is unmatched. Piranha Bytes and OwlCat can't compete in this wide market.

Pirahnia hasn't released a good game since Risen 1, and even that game was only good up to a point.
Owlcat is strange, you can see that they are trying to attract Bioware fans and at the same time they are doing it in an extremely inept way. Another thing is that their subsequent games have a downward trend.

Old Hans

Arcane
what the hell is up with Waukeens rest? it feels like it was added at the very last minute. like I wander in off the street and help with the fire, and the next thing I know im getting asked to do delta force rescue missions by some random dark elf lady.

Orutrus

Literate
Theres basically no player choices in how the character advances.
What do you mean? That some options are too OP and therefore others should be neglected? Because at least on surface there's plenty of options.

You just don't have not many options to pick from unless you are some kind of caster. As a paladin all I got to choose was the Oath and then the feat at 4th level, everything else is automatic. No skill points or feats,specializations or whatever.

jackofshadows

Magister
You just don't have not many options to pick from unless you are some kind of caster. As a paladin all I got to choose was the Oath and then the feat at 4th level, everything else is automatic. No skill points or feats,specializations or whatever.
That's dnd though right? Remember older dnd and fighter's complains?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Crafting. I have never used it and unless it brings something new or needed for survival I will continue not to do it. It is an absolute waste of time.
It's good for Elixirs, and trying to keep those up is a better rest-limiting mechanic than the food since there's too much.

I wish there were more. It's annoying finding ingots and the like which were obviously intended for a crafting system that didn't make it in-game. The Silence Dagger (or even Sickle) is underrated I think as is the Blinding Spear. Weapons that proc relevant debuffs are nice.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally finished - my character transformed from massive black Dragonborn to Bhaal slayer to Mind Flayer before finally climbing atop a pile of skulls to ascend to his rightful place on a throne of blood. Did every quest open to me and took roughly 140 hours. Probably a little too easy towards the end (I took Orin down in one round for example). Raphael in the House of Hope was probably the hardest fight. I was a bit surprised I didn’t seem to get an epilogue which I thought they added but maybe if everyone is enslaved to me there was no point.

Played a sword and board fighter until the end when I ditched the board for the two handler you can get off the undead dragon. I was a bit surprised there weren’t many good long swords though as I spent most of the game using a war hammer. Used mainly Shadowheart, Astarion and Wyll.

Wasn’t too keen on the story or Nu-Forgotten Realms full of Tieflings and other nonsense but the reactivity, creative problem-solving options, voice acting and quality and quantity of the cutscenes were pretty remarkable. The size of the bestiary was also impressive. Combat was average turn-based stuff (Solasta is much better IMO).

May do another run through to try the other NPCs out - thinking of a bard to cover dialogue, lock-picking and some spell casting.

Orutrus

Literate
That's dnd though right? Remember older dnd and fighter's complains?

Yes, but at least in 3.5 a fighter could go the Str/Con build with power attack and cleave or the high AC Dex/Int with spring attack and whirlwind. Or the rogue focused on social skills vs the trap monkey.

Crafting. I have never used it and unless it brings something new or needed for survival I will continue not to do it. It is an absolute waste of time.
It's good for Elixirs, and trying to keep those up is a better rest-limiting mechanic than the food since there's too much.

I wish there were more. It's annoying finding ingots and the like which were obviously intended for a crafting system that didn't make it in-game. The Silence Dagger (or even Sickle) is underrated I think as is the Blinding Spear. Weapons that proc relevant debuffs are nice.

With crafting I mean the average potion. The part about Grymforge for example was pretty fun and the items were good for the level.

Old Hans

Arcane
it happened again in my other game. I was TRYING to help the Tieflings during the seige... I shot a barrel goblin and it must have been a little too close to Zevlor (even though it wasn't THAT close) which resulted in the game going "you must wanna help the goblins again let me switch your side" I just rolled with it and said fuck it. im an evil asshole now

Padzi

Arbiter
Well... BG3 just achived new lvl.

e4eae5be9f0b810770a4c855196eb32be689ee68.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom