Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

DemonKing

Arcane
Well, Icewind Dale 1&2 were combat heavy games with "decent" story at best. And you were building your whole party instead of hiring random characters.
I guess if they went full party creation they could pump something out a lot faster than a sequel to BG3 as they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky romances, dialogs, quests and FMV associated with the companion characters in BG3.

Pretty much what the original IWD was when you think about it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Icewind Dale 1&2 were combat heavy games with "decent" story at best.
The story was classic, well-narrated, and not "chosen one" thing, and it felt just enough for a videogame. It was actually for the better that they didn't have the money and time to shit it up.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
as they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky romances, dialogs, quests and FMV associated with the companion characters in BG3.
Not going to happen. Romohomo appeal is their entire claim to fame.
Oh yeah let's forget DOS happened.
Yes, please, it was shit and cringe
Cope

agTuAnZ.png

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Siege of Dragonspear didn't have any of those
Disagree. It had majestic art and well done dungeons as well as some side quests. Also experiencing IE cranked to its limits was quite entertaining as well.

I can agree with the dungeons, although I can't rate it properly because I hate RtwP. But art? Where?
I mean maps, backgrounds and stuff. Almost all of them look great.

221639.1450386999.jpg

Are you sure?
I remember that part - a dense area full of toxic fumes, with a dying myconid on the center of it. Felt like it should've been something important, but it was never mentioned, nor it was part of any quest. so weird.

This whole game feels like an exercise in game making rather than a well thought out, mature project. Yes, major projects are constantly changing, but here we were clearly dealing with an inability to combine budget, skills and time. "It would be cool if we...", but when we started, it turned out that we couldn't.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, Icewind Dale 1&2 were combat heavy games with "decent" story at best. And you were building your whole party instead of hiring random characters. Most Larian characters suck so I guess having whole party to build from the ground up would save us from shitty romances and retarded and "unique" party members. Question is - would Larian follow "proper" IWD way, or force us to hire their newly created fucked up "personalities".
I actually really enjoyed IWD1 & 2 cozy atmosphere. Playing it in the middle of winter while drinking hot chocolate was a blast back then. Good times.

But weren't they supposed to be working on another Divinity game for now?
Realms Beyond (RIP) actually had some decent mechanics to make rando party feel alive. There were some ‘personality’ choices to choose from during character creation such as background, nation, something else I believe that were supposed to be used in dialogs and party banter. As I remember it was pretty clever in terms of delivering the world’s lore. There’s an extensive video in YT where a guy dives deep in exploring RB character creation. I remember being so exited about this game watching it, sigh.

I believe this is the one, although I recommend watching all his RB videos just to get an idea of the kind of gem we were stripped of:

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Disagree. It had majestic art and well done dungeons as well as some side quests. Also experiencing IE cranked to its limits was quite entertaining as well.

I can agree with the dungeons, although I can't rate it properly because I hate RtwP. But art? Where?

221639.1450386999.jpg

Are you sure?
I really can’t be arsed into looking for screenshots, but I am particularly talking about the very first dungeon which was afair somewhere after bhaal temple, and another dungeon with dwarf lich which was overall very well designed and the quest itself was pretty decent. Other than that yeah, it isn’t outstanding.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

221639.1450386999.jpg

Are you sure?
I really can’t be arsed into looking for screenshots, but I am particularly talking about the very first dungeon which was afair somewhere after bhaal temple, and another dungeon with dwarf lich which was overall very well designed and the quest itself was pretty decent. Other than that yeah, it isn’t outstanding.

I think Siege of the Dragonspear was only playable because it was based on the foundations of another game. I don't believe that with this style of work, Beamdog would create something as basic as functional equipment, or itemization (which was already gaining inflation in SoD).

Rhobar121

Scholar
Anyone who thinks that they will suddenly remove romances and recruited companions is delusional.
Why would they abandon what is practically free money for former Bioware fans?

After the success of BG3, they can announce any game at this point and the hype will continue to generate itself.
Depending on Hasbro's greed, it may turn out that there is no point in trying to make DnD games anymore, and then they will go back to Divinity, although it will still resemble BG3.

BruceVC

Magister
as they wouldn't have to bother with all those pesky romances, dialogs, quests and FMV associated with the companion characters in BG3.
Not going to happen. Romohomo appeal is their entire claim to fame.
Oh yeah let's forget DOS happened.
Yes, please, it was shit and cringe
Are there any games that you enjoy and would recommend?

Can you name 3-4 that you love to play?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Underrail
Synthetik
The Original BGs
Wobbledogs :smug:
> Underrail: Slavic garbage, doesn't come close to anything Larian made. A wannabe Fallout that failed to become popular. That said I hope their next game will be good but I doubt it. Larian is king of rpg's, need competition.
> Synthetik: ? Never heard of this, obscure indie trash I assume
> Original BGs: RTWP garbage, was always extremely overrated. Luckily these games have been forgotten thanks to BG3. When people now talk about BG they talk about BG3.
> Wobbeldogs: Based, only good game in your list.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Underrail
Synthetik
The Original BGs
> Underrail: Slavic garbage, doesn't come close to anything Larian made. A wannabe Fallout that failed to become popular. That said I hope their next game will be good but I doubt it. Larian is king of rpg's, need competition.
> Original BGs: RTWP garbage, was always extremely overrated. Luckily these games have been forgotten thanks to BG3. When people now talk about BG they talk about BG3.
poopoopooch.jpg

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Underrail
Synthetik
The Original BGs
Hey Rusty!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom