Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Modron

Arcane
storyfags
I dislike it because most of the encounters are absolute shit, just lots of trash. Walk 2 steps trigger a batch of 20 something monsters walking three steps to approach melee distance and voila you trigger another batch of trash until you've cleared the map ad nauseum with only a few areas that change things up.

You don't play round based real time with pause rpgs for the combat. Truly that system is the worst, turn based, full real time, and phased based systems are all superior to it.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I only remember Severed Hand as a p cool dungeon with lots of well designed encounters. Moody as well with my favorite type of story told by pieces of lore scattered here and there.

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't really like Icewind Dale as much as most dexers
How ? Why ?
storyfags

Apart from the issue of sex with polar bears, Larian's simplified turn-based combat will always be higher in my opinion than RtwP combat.
Simplified combat, you say? The so-called 'game of the year' lets you sneak up in broad daylight, stroll across the street in front of guards with no consequences, imposes no range penalty, elevates the sniper rifle to king status even in melee range, and renders helmets pointless - just slap on a night goggle and snipe everyone on the map. From what I've seen, BG3 offers a much deeper tactical experience in comparison.

Ryzer

Arcane
How ? Why ?
storyfags

Apart from the issue of sex with polar bears, Larian's simplified turn-based combat will always be higher in my opinion than RtwP combat.
Simplified combat, you say? The so-called 'game of the year' lets you sneak up in broad daylight, stroll across the street in front of guards with no consequences, imposes no range penalty, elevates the sniper rifle to king status even in melee range, and renders helmets pointless - just slap on a night goggle and snipe everyone on the map. From what I've seen, BG3 offers a much deeper tactical experience in comparison.
Nah

Mortmal

Arcane
How ? Why ?
storyfags

Nah

Should have seen it coming as you could mostly do it with rangers in solasta too.

Moink

Cipher
Not going to watch the video but I'll assume it's buffing stealth with Trickery Cleric+items and then casting greater invisibility so combat never starts?

Mortmal

Arcane
Not going to watch the video but I'll assume it's buffing stealth with Trickery Cleric+items and then casting greater invisibility so combat never starts?
Yes, it seems neither game handles Greater Invisibility well. At least it's closer to the end when you acquire that spell.

Moink

Cipher
Yes, it seems neither game handles Greater Invisibility well. At least it's closer to the end when you acquire that spell.
The game really struggles with anything that breaks line of sight, up until the last patch darkness party comps were meta because the enemy would lose track of where you are and just walk around in the clouds before ending turn.

ArchAngel

Arcane
To be fair, even in PnP Greater Invisibility was basically death if you didn't have a counter ready. Especially if said Invisible attacker was also flying.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How ? Why ?
storyfags

Nah

wow a game that trivializes itself by lvl 8 is trival

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I loaded my old save to check out the bonus ending scene.
I had a file saved during the last *last* fight with the brain.

Gues what happened.

It bugged out.
The brain insta-died for no reason at all.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So in the new patch they added a new dialogue for Minthara where she gets angry at Dark Urge and break up with them if they reject Bhaal because she thinks rejects power is stupid, even when the power costs your freedom. Which basically goes against everything she does and says before the patch.

And the patch breaks her dialogue tree, again, for like the 10th time.

Larian just please go back to fixing your useless kissing animation and leave her alone, she is a fine enough evil character from the begining, everything you added later just make her worse.

KeAShizuku

Novice
I'm conflicted. On one hand it is good that developers support their game on the other the game keeps changing to the point that YOU'VE NEVER ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME.

Where does it end? Will they keep tinkering away for the next 5 years?

I'm conflicted. On one hand it is good that developers support their game on the other the game keeps changing to the point that YOU'VE NEVER ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME.

Where does it end? Will they keep tinkering away for the next 5 years?
they're probably adding content that wasn't fully ready even at release. i wonder how bad the situation went during 2020, with lockdowns and working from home.

Yosharian

Arcane
that sounds like the sort of behavior a drow matron would have, so it fits her character at least
Yeah I would like to see the evidence that this is against her previous character motivations because that sounds EXACTLY like Minthara

Edit: actually I see where JF is coming from now.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bg3’s stealth is a shitshow. You can cheese everything as a rogue.
Yes, but you have to work for it and play relatively slow and methodically and/or keep re-setting combat.
Meanwhile without stealth there are plenty of items and builds that also trivialise the game - without the effort needed.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
that sounds like the sort of behavior a drow matron would have, so it fits her character at least
Yeah I would like to see the evidence that this is against her previous character motivations because that sounds EXACTLY like Minthara
At first I had an impression that she kind of re-evaluated things after being an Absolute puppet. In some dialogs she’s more hesitant to go full power mongering and relies on charname judgements, in the others she still doesn’t care the price and is ready for another tadpole if that gives her.. something. I’d say despite her being the most likable character, she’s written pretty inconsistently.

Yosharian

Arcane
At first I had an impression that she kind of re-evaluated things after being an Absolute puppet. In some dialogs she’s more hesitant to go full power mongering and relies on charname judgements, in the others she still doesn’t care the price and is ready for another tadpole if that gives her.. something. I’d say despite her being the most likable character, she’s written pretty inconsistently.
I think the difference here is that she sees Bhaal's power as a win-win scenario, but I do get where you're coming from there actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom