Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Guys, it's highly unlikely to be rtwp. They have an engine for TB, they have experience making TB games, and they have a ruleset that is TB.

Us rtwp fans will have to swallow our pride on this one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Getting RtwP right is harder than TB, and the chance of RtwP turning out to be a gigantic clusterfuck which no normal human can play comfortably is huge. I doubt it will be RtwP for another, more convincing, reason - the only 3 games which were TB recently weren't exactly sales powerhouses. P:K might be good (haven't played it yet), but I don't think it sold that much. The failure of PoE to retain fans will be interpreted as a failure of the combat system, and the success of D:OS2, and other TB games, will be interpreted much in the same way. I've noticed the gaming industry doesn't take the holistic approach when analyzing successes or failures, so this isn't unusual.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Here's my 2 cents on the subject. Isometric RPGs currently either flop or work as a very niche game.

To explain Divinity's mass appeal is easy: hurr-durr population played it not for RPG mechanics, story or writing, but just for co-op and handpainted bright graphics. For hurr-durr popamolers, it was just another co-op distraction like Trine or Fortnite. They basically view it as Candy Crush or Bejeweled. They're the people who watch "Just Chatting" category on twitch daily.

So personally I don't expect Larian to make an actual Baldur's Gate in any shape or form. It'll be a Divinity clone with a different name and ruleset, but the emphasis will be on co-op and stupidity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still seems likely to me that this game, if actually real, could end up not being called "Baldur's Gate 3". If it's not really a sequel to BG2 and turn-based instead of real-time, it makes more sense for it to be "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle".

That's also how Swen can deny that Larian is making BG3.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Still seems possible/likely to me that this game, if actually real, could end up not being called "Baldur's Gate 3". If it's not really a sequel to BG2 and turn-based instead of real-time, it makes more sense for it to be "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle".

No one on this planet is dumb enough to call his game BG3.
I still don't see why Swen who talk a lot about mass market appeal would waste his resources on a dead IP like Baldur's Gate. I also don't see him work with other people's IPs in general since that would mean someone else tells him again how to make his game which he hates.

The Real Fanboy
Still seems possible/likely to me that this game, if actually real, could end up not being called "Baldur's Gate 3". If it's not really a sequel to BG2 and turn-based instead of real-time, it makes more sense for it to be "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle".

I still don't see why Swen who talk a lot about mass market appeal would waste his resources on a dead IP like Baldur's Gate. I also don't see him work with other people's IPs in general since that would mean someone else tells him again how to make his game which he hates.

Because the 90s are such a lewk rn! And Larian doing a reimagining to Baldurs Gate like Dreamworks did to She-ra would be everything (I'd prefer Obsidian but Larian are cute too)!

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik

Baldur's Gate EE and BG2EE have sold from 500k to 1M units on steam. Now don't ask me how accurate this number it because that's steamspy and they just can't use their old algorithms to judge things(relatively accurately), but I can't really see how is it so impossible for Swen to take it on. Consider two facts though - there hasn't been new D&D CRPG since Sword Coast Legends and D&D is already a brandname with at least some mass appeal AND the remakes of the old 2 BG's have sold, let's say less than Steamspy says - 300k both. These aren't low numbers for remakes of over 15 years old games(at date of release) and that's ridiculously low estimate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Baldur's Gate IP isn't dead, just in a coma. An actually good/reputable developer (instead of the shovelware devs WOTC has worked with for the past decade) can bring it back to life.

Codex Year of the Donut
The Baldur's Gate IP isn't dead, just in a coma. An actually good/reputable developer (instead of the shovelware devs WOTC has worked with for the past decade) can bring it back to life.
While random drunk Russians were making PF:K, WOTC had top shovelware devs making them clicker games.
WOTC rivals Games Workshop in squandering their IP.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW, Baldur's Gate products since 5e:
  • From 2015 to 2018, IDW published four series of comics about the adventure of mysteriously returned Minsc (Legends of Baldur's Gate, Shadows of the Vampire, Frost Giant's Fury, and Evil at Baldur's Gate.)
  • Siege of Dragonspear (
    rating_mca.gif
    )
  • Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, board game based on Betrayal at House on the Hill, released in 2017
  • Heroes of Baldur's Gate, "unofficial" adventure book set between BG1 and BG2, written by James Ohlen, the lead designer of the video games
  • Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, adventure book release in 2019
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Infernal Tides, comics based on the adventure above, with the characters from the video games including, of course, Minsc.
Whether the new game will be called BG3 or not, Minsc will be in it definitely. That's continuity.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane

I still don't see how the Baldurs Gate/Dungeons and Dagon's Ip could sell more copies than a new Divinity RPG. After all Divinity Original Sin 2 sold at least 5 million copies probably more copies and seems to continue to do so. Going back to an IP that hasn't been relevant in 18 years sounds stupid to me.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
5M copies sounds a little bit much. Last I heard, it was around 1.5M, but that was a while ago.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Frankly I think Larian can be excused for not wanting to make another Divinity game. A joint venture with Wizards of the Coast to bring back high-quality D&D RPGs is as good a plan as any!

Cael

Arcane
Still seems likely to me that this game, if actually real, could end up not being called "Baldur's Gate 3". If it's not really a sequel to BG2 and turn-based instead of real-time, it makes more sense for it to be "Baldur's Gate: Subtitle".

Buldur's Gate: Descent to Avernus... OK... What has it to do with Baldur's Gate...?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Going back to an IP that hasn't been relevant in 18 years sounds stupid to me.
Why?

I remember when Diablo 3 was coming out, I had acquaintances who haven't even had a computer in 5 years suddenly called me up and were like "hey have you heard about diablo 3?!!". Which was hilarious, cause they never even played 1 and 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't I kill that nigga in white march?

Yes, you get Bioware-style narrative reactivity.

If he was killed and his skull taken in the first game, he will be shocked that the Watcher survived the fall of Caed Nua and express his frustration and anger at being the Watcher's pet skull, including "days of bouncing in your shadow or being jostled among spears and daggers". His ressurection is unexplained even when the Watcher asks, only that he was delighted in "slamming the proffered door on the Usher's hand", referring to Berath. He will also reveal that he had plans for destroying Caed Nua himself, though the opportunity was taken from him by Eothas, indicating that even as a pet skull, he was conscious and sentient the entire time, quietly scheming his revenge.

In the aftermath of the destruction of Caed Nua, having felt the pulse of power from the well of power in the Deadfire (which was described and researched by Bekarna, though discounted by the Arch Mages), he dragged himself towards the shore of the Dyrwood, and to a dock, as a skull, "one mouthful of soil at a time" to gain passage by boat to the Deadfire.

And of course Deadfire undercut my original post again with the latest patch since it confirms that

Eothas dies destroying the wheel no matter what, so you don't even need this chump's help other than to feel better

Darkzone

Arcane
And Critical Role has made D&D super popular!
I have already written about it Winter 2017- Spring 2018, but the real question is: "Is Critical Role so popular because of D&D or have they made D&D more popular." Definitely DnD sales in 2017 were the best, since WOTC acquired the D&D franchise in 1997. People name also "Stranger Things" as a cofactor in the new popularity of DnD. I see also the fact that WOTC has lowered the amount of Books that are released for DnD, making it rather manageable for buyers and players, and the streamlined gameplay in the DnD 5E is suitable for new players.
So yes DnD is more popular than it was in 2003-2017. And Larian would be smart to jump onto the Bandwagon.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Do you guys think that Gustav is a DND RPG or is it yet another project?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom