Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RaptorRex888

Learned
The most overrated CRPG series from back then made by the most overrated CRPG developer right now... what could go wrong?

Xeon

Augur
If there really is BG3, I hope Minsc isn't in it, didn't the voice actor gets mee tooed or something? kinda hope it kills the character.

Also if the game has no relations to the Bhaalspawn protagonist than I hope its not called Baldur's Gate at all, the name is retarded anyway, calling it Baldur's Gate and you play somewhere else, wtf.

RaptorRex888

Learned
It depends on what you mean by overrated.

Being constantly set as the unattainable benchmark of what a CRPG is when there have been others that have had better gameplay / story or both since (and before) is what defines it as overrated to me.

Also its overuse of exclamation points (leading to its complete insignificance both as punctuation and its role in the tone and emotion of the line) is fucking sickening and an absolute crime against writing.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unless they announced that James Ohlen and Luke (Lucas?) Kristjiansen (you know who I mean), Chris Avellone and Owlcat are involved - I'm not interested.
:killit:

RaptorRex888

Learned
I'm not here to argue BG2 is a bad game, it just annoys me that its constantly used as the default comparison for what a perfect ICRPG should be when there are games from before, during and after its time that are as good and / or better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Being constantly set as the unattainable benchmark of what a CRPG is when there have been others that have had better gameplay / story or both since (and before) is what defines it as overrated to me.
Yeah, that's what I thought - hyperbolic extravagances. I haven't seen anyone on here or irl who holds the BGs as unattainable benchmarks, all the sane posters have a sane perspective on it. It's a very good and enjoyable game to (re)play, whose flaws don't detract from that. The same can't be said about recent RtwP offerings, where you have to constantly compromise to squeeze some enjoyment out of them, and that doesn't take into account the technical issues, poor performance and ridiculous loading times. BG has a rightful place in the catalogue of gaming classics, it can be that and not be perfect or unattainable at the same time. The issue is not that BG is overrated and blinds people to greatness, but that the recently released RtwP RPGs don't even come close to it.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Yeah, that's what I thought - hyperbolic extravagances. I haven't seen anyone on here or irl who holds the BGs as unattainable benchmarks, all the sane posters have a sane perspective on it. It's a very good and enjoyable game to (re)play, whose flaws don't detract from that. The same can't be said about recent RtwP offerings, where you have to constantly compromise to squeeze some enjoyment out of them, and that doesn't take into account the technical issues, poor performance and ridiculous loading times. BG has a rightful place in the catalogue of gaming classics, it can be that and not be perfect or unattainable at the same time.

You're either willfully lying or ignorant if you say there aren't countless people on here and other forums/discussions on the internet that don't put BG2 on a pedestal as not only the greatest ICRPG but the greatest RPG ever made. You even proved my point by instantly comparing it to newer games in an attempt to bring them down while elevating BG2.

Once again, let me say that I don't think BG2 is a bad game or that it doesn't deserve to be considered a classic game (and my quibble about exclamation points is my own idiosyncratic stupidity that annoys me personally) but constantly, constantly, constantly being name dropped is fucking tiring and grating.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You're either willfully lying or ignorant if you say there aren't countless people on here and other forums/discussions on the internet that don't put BG2 on a pedestal as not only the greatest ICRPG but the greatest RPG ever made. You even proved my point by instantly comparing it to newer games in an attempt to bring them down while elevating BG2.

Once again, let me say that I don't think BG2 is a bad game or that it doesn't deserve to be considered a classic game (and my quibble about exclamation points is my own idiosyncratic stupidity that annoys me personally) but constantly, constantly, constantly being name dropped is fucking tiring and grating.

I compared them to newer releases because that's what we are talking about, people saying it is unattainable. I think that implies recent releases, no? I never mentioned specifically BG2. I also prefaced "posters" with "sane". Even then, Beamdog's forums and probably RPGWatch (who says it's the greatest game ever? [citation needed]) aren't good sample groups. It's usually developers who name drop it constantly, though, and that's why people are talking about it. Ok, let's go about this some other way, which RtwP RPGs do you think are better?

Mustawd

which RtwP RPGs do you think are better?

Lol, which rpg which has a crappy combat system is better?

TBH I enjoyed IWD a lot more. Full party creation. No focus on stupid party banter nonsense (which by the way is very jrpg-like in its approach). More focus on combat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
BG1 doesn't have party banter (at least not the kind which interrupts gameplay in any way) and has had full party creation from the start. Yeah, it's a workaround, but whatevs. It's also pretty focused on combat, it really doesn't have that much talking to people.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom