Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
ITT people assume BG2 has good writing that needs to be maintained in legacy by any new developer.

Jezal_k23

People who say BG2 had good writing don't remember Aerie and Jaheira, which I think they should because I'm cringing at the memory of Aerie to this very day.

curry

Arcane
Every now and then I beat the original Baldur's Gate, and find myself wondering why people find the writing okay. Other than the dream sequences, most characters have a total of 10 lines of text at best, unless their name is Elminster
Story progression and delivery in Baldur's Gate is so smooth that the game doesn't need to throw walls of text at the player.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the rumor is true, and a modern turn based RPG on a D&D license is being made, the best part about it being made by Larian is the tech. They still have the DM tools from D:OS 2. This means such a game would have quite the potential.

Writing will be shit, no point wasting time discussing that.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
ITT people assume BG2 has good writing that needs to be maintained in legacy by any new developer.

BG writing is mediocre and cliche. Larian is *terrible*.

I haven't really played a Larian game since Divine Divinity, well, both Beyond Divinity & Divinity 2 bugged out on me quite a way into the game, but I can't say I ever had a problem with their writing, but then I'm not a storyfag & I wouldn't call BG, any of them, storyfag games anyway either. Not entirely sure why anyone would judge either Larian or BG games on story in the first place, that'd be, like, right down at the bottom of any review under "oh yeah, the story's ok I suppose, it sufficed, can't say I cared for it much, it was mostly retarded, but it did its job of moving things along".

Steezus

Savant
Patron
So uhm, who exactly is OP that Codex is even entertaining this for 3 pages?

inb4wittyrepliesonly

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Honestly I'm over the BG series. However a Larian D&D game could be of interest, I feel like they could offer something a little better in that vein than other studios from their current position.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People who say BG2 had good writing don't remember Aerie and Jaheira, which I think they should because I'm cringing at the memory of Aerie to this very day.

I will always remember Aerie fondly because I ditched her most of my game then I take her back for the final battle and I talk to her and she says "Here's your baby" and I'm like "what".

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

I will always remember Aerie fondly because I ditched her most of my game then I take her back for the final battle and I talk to her and she says "Here's your baby" and I'm like "what".
She saw you for a cuck even in game.

Fairfax

Arcane
Why the fuck tie yourself to a shitty series made by others and be constantly compared to it?
Swen loves that stuff. He cares deeply about reviews and rankings. Look at how he talks about PC Gamer's previous scores and their Top 100 list:

Taking on BG3 would make sense for him, so I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour is true. He probably believes BG's prestige and the challenge of living up to its legacy would give it a boost, not to mention the favourable circumstances.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd rather they make a new series than soil the fading memory of BG2.

Besides, Irenicus is dead, the BG saga is over.

Do something new instead.

Irenicus was dead in TOB too, more important is that TOB ended the MC's quest, not sure what there is left for them to do. i guess they could do a "baldur's gate: next generation" type thing where you play the child of the baalspawn and aerie or something but eh...

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
If true does it mean that it will will use AD&D or it's up to Larian to choose which?
I'd hazard that WoTC will require that they use 5e.

Why? So far they haven't seemed interested in forcing any dev to use any edition, and seem to prefer devs using made-up editions.

I don't think this rumor is true (but wouldn't mind it being true), but if it is I can't be the only that is sure this will not be any edition of D&D?

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I'd rather they make a new series than soil the fading memory of BG2.

Besides, Irenicus is dead, the BG saga is over.

Do something new instead.

Irenicus was dead in TOB too, more important is that TOB ended the MC's quest, not sure what there is left for them to do. i guess they could do a "baldur's gate: next generation" type thing where you play the child of the baalspawn and aerie or something but eh...
TOB is shite compared to BG2.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Even if true, Larian is a false prophet of incline. It will be a multiplayer focused casualfest with every interesting game mechanic dumbed down and balanced to appeal to the wide audience, and then have a definitive edition console port after a year.

Xeon

Augur
Doesn't the new lord of murder tries to kill you or threaten you in ToB? Would make sense for him to get more involved if you choose to take Bhaal's essence and become a god or something but not sure how much further things can get OP if that happens because things were plenty OP in ToB.

I think I said this before but not sure why they will still stick to Baldur's Gate if people want to continue the saga especially if its Larian doing things, since they got famous with DOSs so them doing new series will probably still be plenty popular no matter what it is or what name it has.

Anyway I kinda hope its not a sequel and I really hope it doesn't take place in Baldur's Gate city or near it, would like to see other places in the world.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
even my easier to impress teenage self think aerie is insufferable bitch

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom