Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Rumors [CONFIRMED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I wonder if Fargo is going to delete that tweet. It's confirming something relatively big that the actual developer (quite plausibly Larian) hasn't so much as hinted at.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

For BG3 to work, you need to travel long and far to assemble a dream team of developers. This means poaching them from other companies, going to trailer parks and cabins in the deep woods, summoning them with a Ouija board at their grave site, battling a colony of giant ants to save the real Josh Sawyer, and so on.

It can't be done. It's too much for one man.

But...

If we all came together and were sent on this mission by Lord Admiral Chris Avellone and imbued with the strength and determination of Archbishop Cleveland Blakemore...

No, I do not dare think such silly thoughts. Carry on. Forget I said anything.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The way combat works* in D:OS would fit perfectly the ruleset...
Until some genius decide the pnp rules needs dumb down "adaptation" for Down's Syndrome retards a "modern audience", Sword Coast Legends sends regards. After D:OS 2, the designers at Larian have zero clue about anything.

Personally I think they could make a good TB combat, but their writing will be mundane and boring as always and that made me sad when I heard it.
And personally I think the writing is one of the most overrated aspects of the Baldur's Gate saga, anyway. And I said it as a massive fan of it.
What made BG2 a classic was the sum of its other qualities: the sheer size, variety of enemies and scenarios, the perfect balance they nailed with itemization (it felt constantly rewarding while not being as busy as in loot-driven games), the encounter design, the dungeons...

Back the the "Larian working on it" hypothesis, mixed feelings: I can't really say I'm anticipating a Larian-made real-time with pause. I'd vastly prefer if they would "betray" the roots of the series and go for another reiteration of ther turn-based battle system.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I would be interested to play a 4 or 5e game if it had turnbased but those rules really, really would not work in RTWP. pretty much every skill is based around squares and distances in a way that older stuff wasn't

imweasel

I'd laugh if EA bought the rights and is having BioWare develop the game. :lol:

Anyway, I wouldn't trust neither Larian or Beamdawg to do a sequel justice.... but at least Sawyer won't be getting his dirty hipster mitts on the license.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good if Larian stay away from RTwP and work with their sweet TB engine. Keep popping games out with this engine, some of them will be good :P
As far as BG 3 goes, obviously Owlcat Games should develop it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Unless Chris Avellone secretly opened a new studio and bought the rights to BG, this will be shit. Who else could be doing it: Bioware, Beamdog?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom