Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's gate enhanced edition, better or worse than the original?

deamento

Scholar
I decided to start playing Baldur's gate, but for some reason the GoG downloader doesn't want to download the game. (or any other game for that matter, but i'm not gonna bother you guys with that) so i decided to download the enhanced edition that came out last year. I heard some people say that it wasn't as good as the original and also the other way around (but they're not on the codex so chances are that they don't know what they were talking about).
So yea, is the enhanced edition better or worse than the original? or is it about the same?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Short version: Anyone with half a brain and the ability to double-click an .exe file will use the original with mods.

Long version: Check Infinitron's link.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The beamdog edition adds non-canon followers and fucks with the game rules. It is not the real game.

If you want to play Baldur's Gate, play Baldur's Gate. Don't play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Although I do like some of the technical enhancements (namely the super-fast saving and loading) I would argue the new content actually diminishes the quality of the game as a whole, it's that out of place and poorly executed. It's also buggier than the original, still, not just because of the engine updates but because somehow they even managed to mess up stuff like stats, spells and weapon damage from the original.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Only thing that would make it worthwhile is a dramatic increase in moddability. Wake me up when that happens.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The new micro-campaign (The Black Pits) sucked ass, so I wouldn't buy the Enhanced Edition just for that.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There will probably eventually be a 'demake' of the data files to make the better saving and slightly more scalable engine work for the modders instead of against them. Congratulations dumbfucks, your peanut slaving just won you double the work for your hobby, not that it hadn't doubled before (whatnot things like BGTrilogy, Tutu and mac/linux versions of mods)

Johannes

Arcane
Just use the original and put in some good mods, bugfix mod, widescreen mod, and Sword Coast Strategems for example. Now there is your polished quality BG.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Due to the fact that Trent Oster has recently had to go into hiding - reports stating that a maniac with a frost enchanted longsword has gotten into a fight with a misfit band of LARPing fanboy adventurers defending Beamdog's honour* - I would say that you'd be safer to go with the original. Not only are half-arsed and dysfunctional 'updates' to decade old games terribly passé, but giving Trent Oster money for the abomination of this so-called effort is, well, criminal.

Plus, you know. The originals have plenty of mod content that do much of what the EE is doing with more competence. Including the poorly written extra NPCs.

*None who cross GREYWOLF shall live.

groundhog

Educated
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your problem with GOG here, but if GOG's downloader doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me), just download the game files manually i.e. just right click on the "Windows Installer" link and then click on "Save Linked Content As..."

As for which is the better version, I'd go with the original Baldur's Gate with a few added mods (main ones are EasyTutu and the widescreen mod). I've not seen any compelling reason to consider buying the enhanced edition, unless using mods is completely beyond your capabilities.

t deamento you can disable the gog downloader and just d/l manually.

Also if enough people haven't said it already, play bg with mods, dun play bg:ee.

edit: yeah cool, guy that needed his post approved appears right above me after submitting and says just what I did only better

jerk

deamento

Scholar
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your problem with GOG here, but if GOG's downloader doesn't work for you (it doesn't for me), just download the game files manually i.e. just right click on the "Windows Installer" link and then click on "Save Linked Content As..."

As for which is the better version, I'd go with the original Baldur's Gate with a few added mods (main ones are EasyTutu and the widescreen mod). I've not seen any compelling reason to consider buying the enhanced edition, unless using mods is completely beyond your capabilities.
I guess i should explain some more, i recently tried to downgrade my laptop to windows 7 (because windows 8 is garbage). I installed it, booted up my PC, but i didn't get the chance to select windows 7, it just went to windows 8.
Not much of a problem, but for some reason my C: drive's size went from 750gb to a lousy 40gb (all of which is used up by windows 7 & 8 and i can't delete 7 because i might completely ruin my laptop) and i got a new D: drive with the other 710gb, but for some reason i can't get the gog downloader to download there and i also can't get googlechrome to download to the D: drive (i pirated BG enhanced with utorrent which allowed me to pick my download destination.)
so yeah, i don't really know what to do. (and i can't pirate the original baldur's gate, the piratebay is blocked in this country so i used a private torrent site but that site only had the enhanced edition)

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Do you want to zoom in on pixely 2.5D character models? -> BG: EE
Do you want to do anything else in the Baldur's Gate Universe? -> BG Original

Amn Nom

Learned
The original with mods is the best way to play it. Just switch the GOG version to a browser download and not the shitty downloader.

waywardOne

Arcane
technical enhancements (namely the super-fast saving and loading)

I have to ask how this was a problem. I build mid-tier multi-purpose rigs for myself and save/load has been near instantaneous for at least 6 years (same with Deus Ex, Thief 2, and pretty much every game from that era).

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you want to play the Enhanced Edition, wait for the latest 1.2 patch. It's currently in beta, you can follow it's progress here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/the-road-to-v1-2

Right now, here is a quick summary:

b160c7717233c7789da9778e9b8628.jpg

deamento

Scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom