Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's gate enhanced edition, better or worse than the original?

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
lll add myself to the pack of howling apes: EE is shit. Over 10 years of mods and tweaks had made bg stable and expansive. Along comes oster and promises the moon and stars.
In the end he and his team of trained slugs delivered a bg that crashes when you rest in an inn or click outside the overland map. I suspect no one had tested anything, they just chucked it out the door.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO, DND 3.5 is better than any version before it, yes. Certainly more interesting to play and the rules are pretty clear. More classes and the prestige classes/levels made characters more diverse, therefore, more interesting to play.
Then again, there is DND 4. I played it once. Everything is better than that, even those games for kids on the backside of cornflakes packages. At least there, you could pretend your "character" is somehow different than any of the other characters.

After all, this discussion is rather useless, as no version of DND will ever reach the likes of RoA or SR.
Talking about SR... I'm just reading the new core book for the 5th edition. It has some nice additions and minor changes to the 4th, but all in all I don't quite get why they made a whole new edition out of it (other than $.$). It's more like 4.5.

deamento

Scholar
IMO, DND 3.5 is better than any version before it, yes. Certainly more interesting to play and the rules are pretty clear. More classes and the prestige classes/levels made characters more diverse, therefore, more interesting to play.
Then again, there is DND 4. I played it once. Everything is better than that, even those games for kids on the backside of cornflakes packages. At least there, you could pretend your "character" is somehow different than any of the other characters.

After all, this discussion is rather useless, as no version of DND will ever reach the likes of RoA or SR.
Talking about SR... I'm just reading the new core book for the 5th edition. It has some nice additions and minor changes to the 4th, but all in all I don't quite get why they made a whole new edition out of it (other than $.$). It's more like 4.5.
i just don't get why they don't go back to the earlier editions instead of making it worse. almost every D&D fan probably liked the older versions more than 4th edition

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I also haven't met a single person (of those persons that know the editions) that would not agree to three things: "It's easier to get into", "it is even more fighting and even less roleplaying" and "3.5 was way better". The first thing seems positive, but then again, I also never met a person who thought 3.5 was hard to get into.

deamento

Scholar
are you talking about 4th edition or what?
if so, those people don't exist anymore, they all got exterminated by D&D inquisitors
and to be honest, i'm having a much harder time getting into 3.5 than 1st edition. or rather, i'm having a harder time getting into 3.5 games than 1st edition games. that might also be because 1st edition games were pretty great

deamento

Scholar
yeah, i guess it depends on which edition you start with first
for me it was 1st edition because my first actual crpg was PoR

Ramireza

Savant
The EE is far better. After i heard that the BG2EE version will be released in the mid of november i deleted my BGT folder.

Its surely too expensive, but IMO the EE is the best Baldurs Gate version on the market. (If you dont care for crappy (im)balance and "I want to fuck Imoen" mods)

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Can you use mods like BG1 NPC Project, Unfinished Business and Sword Coast Stratagems with BG EE?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not to mention that few of the mods are being seriously updated for the Enhanced Edition as well.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because its a cheap and easy way to involve the player with the narrative and the characters. Because as long as its better than twilight no one is going to call you out on it, especially not your fans.
Because being aimed at nonlifer nerds, they have pretty much no way of knowing if its poorly written or not.
Because people expect them, because it sells.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Over / Under we will be greeted by this screen again?

40InDeD.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom