Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^<s>
What he said.</s>

Edit: Starting a new page, huh? Damn that.
Well, then:

What the guy before me said.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Serious_Business said:
'The whole story is incredible'? Jesus christ man, talk about hyperbole.

Indeed. I mean, the story is good overall, but it's definitely not the highest quality evar

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mareus said:
The whole story is incredible and I really don't understand people who say the story is dumb and cliche. It is not PST, true, but it is still 3 times better than any other RPG I have played except Torment and maybe Betrayal at Krondor, but those two games have completely different approach to the story. It would be like comparing Memento with LOTR. You just fucking can't do that. The story is not similar to LOTR(like some people here say), except the setting. The story actually reminds me more on Highlander with that "there can be only one" similarity.

You play a child of a dead evil God. Just this guarantees the story will be more interesting than 99% of other classic RPG games out there. The writing is not PST, true, but it's much better than any other RPG I have played, except legendary PST and Betrayal at Krondor, but like I said, those two games have different approach to everything.

Besides, no other game (not even Torment) gives you that feeling of being a hero of epic proportions like BG does. I mean, when the music hits and you are surrounded by impossible odds, even LOTR greatest battles feel less epic than battles in BG. You start as some young brat who is forced into the life of conflict. No one respects you and no one fears you. By the time you get to Throne of Bhaal, even the most powerful beings will respect your name. NO OTHER GAME HAS MANAGED TO GIVE YOU THIS! Sure the story does not have any Memento or PST moments, just like LOTR doesn't have them, but the things this game does it does them in such a superb way it casts a big shadow on everything similar.

As for characters being annoying, fuck! You have more than enough characters to chose from, especially in the first BG. If you don't like them, don't play with them. It's not like the game forces characters on you. Fuck, you can even play the game alone if you are into those sort of things.
Wat.

Mareus

Magister
I found the story of Baldur's Gate better than any other "epic" RPG I have ever played. Please don't give me that crap how medicore in shitty world doesn't mean something is good, because that does not apply for BG since BG story is not medicore. I found it better than 99% of other games out there, and I found it better than LOTR (this comes from a huge fan of anything that has LOTR in it and a guy who read Silmarillion over 30 times and read all the books both on English and Croatian, and seen all the movies over 50 times and has 37 cm tall Gandalf action figure in my room). Now you may or may not agree with me, but BG stands as incredible game with great story. Comparing the story of BG with the story of PST is retarded because the games have completely different approach to story telling. One is more philosophical and deep, the other is more action oriented with emphasis on classic battle of good vs evil and if you expect all games to be like PST than there is something seriously wrong with you guys.

As far as I know my games, BG is the only EPIC RPG game where you play a god child whose destiny shapes the world. Name me one game which is so epic in it's proportions. That alone makes it both original and unique in my eyes. If you don't agree with me I would appreciate some enlightment instead of usual sarcastic remarks.

PS. To Darth Roxor
No one said the story is best evah! Learn to read before you state something so untrue. I just said that in it's own genre BG story is still unmatched. Story of BG cannot be compared with PST or Betrayal at Krondor, etc since it clearly is not trying to be too deep. However it is trying to give you the EPIC feel and that it does better than any other game, both in story and in gameplay. Prove me wrong with game titles.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I found the story of Baldur's Gate better than any other "epic" RPG I have ever played.

What the fuck is an "epic" RPG? A typical "save-the-world" story that we've heard told over 9000 times? Seriously, we don't need more of those.

Please don't give me that crap how medicore in shitty world doesn't mean something is good, because that does not apply for BG since BG story is not medicore.

"Please don't disagree with me, because I'm right and you're wrong."

I found it better than 99% of other games out there, and I found it better than LOTR

Your opinions are not fact. No one cares about it.

(this comes from a huge fan of anything that has LOTR in it and a guy who read Silmarillion over 30 times and read all the books both on English and Croatian, and seen all the movies over 50 times and has 37 cm tall Gandalf action figure in my room)

I'm laughing my ass off right now. You seem like a well-read fantasy expert!

Now you may or may not agree with me, but BG stands as incredible game with great story.

Are you going to make an argument here, or just state how much you love BG over and over again?
Comparing the story of BG with the story of PST is retarded because the games have completely different approach to story telling. One is more philosophical and deep, the other is more action oriented with emphasis on classic battle of good vs evil and if you expect all games to be like PST than there is something seriously wrong with you guys.

No, it's quite easy to compare them. You just don't want to because BG clearly fails to measure up to PST in every regard except combat.

As far as I know my games, BG is the only EPIC RPG game where you play a god child whose destiny shapes the world. Name me one game which is so epic in it's proportions. That alone makes it both original and unique in my eyes.

This paragraph is so retarded it hurt my head. "Baldur's Gate is the only game that has the plot of Baldur's Gate. Therefore it's awesome."

If you don't agree with me I would appreciate some enlightment instead of usual sarcastic remarks.

This sentence is what inspired this entire post.

In conclusion, Mareus is a dumbass and this thread sucks.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Xor said:
What the fuck is an "epic" RPG? A typical "save-the-world" story that we've heard told over 9000 times? Seriously, we don't need more of those.
There was no saving the world in BG.
How much "Trading guild tries to capture power in the city by creating economical problems" and "Elven renegade steals your power and you must take it back" plots you expirienced lately that you are so tired of them?
And "epic" means that when you come close to D&D epic level(Level 20 or something like that) the way game is designed makes you feel you power.

P.S.
Please don't disagree with me, because I'm right and you're wrong

Mareus

Magister
I guess you are laughing at what you wrote thinking how funny you are, but you FAIL big time in your logic.

1. You try to sound more stupid than you already are by pretending not to understand what I tried to describe as epic RPG. Since you clearly understood it from the first attempt, you disargumented yourself in your own argument. LOL!

2. You say there is so many save the world RPGs, which means Baldur's Gate has a lot of competition and since the game IS the best RPG in "save the world" genre (until you fucking name a title that is better), you fail.

3. I offered my opinion to be challenged by naming other titles and since you have offered none, you fail again.

4. If you think you can compare the story of PST with the story of BG, then good luck in comparing Memento with LOTR. I am sure you will be very successful in that attempt. LOL!

5. "Baldur's Gate is the only game that has the plot of Baldur's Gate. Therefore it's awesome." .... err didn't you recognize BG as save the world game and said that we already have 9000 of them? Make up your mind asswipe.

6. I may be a dumbass, but at least I don't use my own arguments against myself.

:salute:

EDIT: Oh, and about me being a fantasy expert, ...believe me I am. The reason why I love LOTR so much is because it was THE original. Tolkien's imagination is what started everything and that is why admire it so. I am well aware there are many better fantasy books, but it was Tolkien who started everything.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Decline of the Codex. A 4 page thread about Baldur's Gate II and hardly a negative post in sight. :(

Oh, me? Can't help, I kinda like BG2.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Mareus said:
However it is trying to give you the EPIC feel and that it does better than any other game, both in story and in gameplay. Prove me wrong with game titles.

Seriously?

Right-oh,

Icewind Dale 1 is as heroic as you can get, Gothics aren't worse either, Krondor was so epic it made me shit bricks, Witcher also has quite a few of such moments.

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
Mareus said:
However it is trying to give you the EPIC feel and that it does better than any other game, both in story and in gameplay. Prove me wrong with game titles.

Seriously?

Right-oh,

Icewind Dale 1 is as heroic as you can get, Gothics aren't worse either, Krondor was so epic it made me shit bricks, Witcher also has quite a few of such moments.
And none of those come even close to BG. BaK was not nearly epic as BG, but I do agree the story telling and writing was much better.

I mean seriously!
Icewind Dale 1, Gothic?!... pffft! not in a long shot. Witcher... pfffftr. BaK? Come on! You know what I mean when I say epic.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hamster said:
Xor said:
There was no saving the world in BG.
How much "Trading guild tries to capture power in the city by creating economical problems" and "Elven renegade steals your power and you must take it back" plots you expirienced lately that you are so tired of them?
And "epic" means that when you come close to D&D epic level(Level 20 or something like that) the way game is designed makes you feel you power.

P.S.
Please don't disagree with me, because I'm right and you're wrong

Mmm, in the original BG you're saving the sword coast from war, that counts as something. This wasn't really relevant to my flaming, though.

The original BG's plot wasn't terrible, the political intrigue could have been done better and it could have been obvious what was going on, but meh. My main gripe, plot-wise, is with BG2 and TOB.

I thought perhaps he meant epic in scope like Oblivion.

I guess you are laughing at what you wrote thinking how funny you are, but you FAIL big time in your logic.

1. You try to sound more stupid than you already are by pretending not to understand what I tried to describe as epic RPG. Since you clearly understood it from the first attempt, you disargumented yourself in your own argument. LOL!

2. You say there is so many save the world RPGs, which means Baldur's Gate has a lot of competition and since the game IS the best RPG in "save the world" genre (until you fucking name a title that is better), you fail.

3. I offered my opinion to be challenged by naming other titles and since you have offered none, you fail again.

4. If you think you can compare the story of PST with the story of BG, then good luck in comparing Memento with LOTR. I am sure you will be very successful in that attempt. LOL!

5. "Baldur's Gate is the only game that has the plot of Baldur's Gate. Therefore it's awesome." .... errr didn't you say BG is save the world game and that we already have 9000 of them? Make up your mind asswipe.

6. I may be a dumbass, but at least I don't use my own arguments against myself.

It's hard to get a straight answer out of you.

1) I'm trying to figure out what you consider "epic" about the Baldur's Gate series. Of course I could come up with my own interpretation, but that doesn't really help me flame you, does it? Also, "disagrumented" is not a word.

2) As Hampster pointed out, Baldur's Gate isn't really a save-the-world type game, so I guess I should re-state my point. Baldur's Gate is pretty fucking generic, full of stock characters and fantasy cliches. Also, you once again tried to use opinion as fact without giving an argument. Good job sounding like a dumbass.

3) I'm not challenging your opinion because it's fucking retarded. Just because you think LOTR is the pinnacle of the fantasy genre doesn't mean it's up to others to teach you otherwise.

4) Having never read Memento, I would be unable to tell you how difficult it would be. I doubt it would be as difficult as you claim, however. Just because they're of different genres doesn't mean they're impossible to compare.

5) I was mocking you. I'll do it again.
"I don't understand when people make fun of my retarded point of view."

6) I don't really have anything else to add here, but you're still a dumbass.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Mareus said:
I mean seriously!
Icewind Dale 1, Gothic?!... pffft! not in a long shot. Witcher... pfffftr. BaK? Come on! You know what I mean when I say epic.

I find it funny how you yell at people for not presenting arguments.

But anyway

Gothic - the mysterious stranger with no name and no clear past constantly finds himself in the middle of a 'O SHIT THE WORLD IS SCREWED' situation, even though actually saving the world is not his priority. The world changes a real damn lot after every chapter, it really gives the impression that it matters what you do, and after you spend a lot of time in the game, you also have the feeling of *power* at your disposal, when great dragons are falling down before the blade of your sword.

Icewind Dale - character background pretty much equals zero, yes, but doesn't it feel *epic* when you hack down hordes of spirit orcs in the Seldarin fortress, while listening to the great tunes by Jeremy Soule, and stopping by at Larrel's tower to hear his haunting, mad speech? Isn't the backstory behind the Elven fort and the Dwarven mines great? About their downfall due to stupid inner conflicts and prejudice, and how Larrel's daughter tried to save the alliance, yet failed, sword-in-hand?

Witcher - mostly the ending comes to mind.

Krondor - The hunt for the Nighthawk leader, escape from the Northlands, all alone in the wasteland, the desperate defence of Northwarden and then the nearly suicidal attack on the Moredhel rift machine, and the very ending - they aren't epic? They don't give the 'thrills', and the feeling that you're about to get something done, that will probably push the current plot a real damn lot?

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
Mareus said:
I mean seriously!

I find it funny how you yell at people for not presenting arguments.

But anyway

Gothic - the mysterious stranger with no name and no clear past constantly finds himself in the middle of a 'O SHIT THE WORLD IS SCREWED' situation, even though actually saving the world is not his priority. The world changes a real damn lot after every chapter, it really gives the impression that it matters what you do, and after you spend a lot of time in the game, you also have the feeling of *power* at your disposal, when great dragons are falling down before the blade of your sword.

Icewind Dale - character background pretty much equals zero, yes, but doesn't it feel *epic* when you hack down hordes of spirit orcs in the Seldarin fortress, while listening to the great tunes by Jeremy Soule, and stopping by at Larrel's tower to hear his haunting, mad speech? Isn't the backstory behind the Elven fort and the Dwarven mines great? About their downfall due to stupid inner conflicts and prejudice, and how Larrel's daughter tried to save the alliance, yet failed, sword-in-hand?

Witcher - mostly the ending comes to mind.

Krondor - The hunt for the Nighthawk leader, escape from the Northlands, all alone in the wasteland, the desperate defence of Northwarden and then the nearly suicidal attack on the Moredhel rift machine, and the very ending - they aren't epic? They don't give the 'thrills', and the feeling that you're about to get something done, that will probably push the current plot a real damn lot?
1. I am not yelling at anyone. Sorry if my exclamation mark made you think that.

2. You obviously do not understand what I am trying to say. Baldur's Gate does not try to be deep, just like LOTR does not try to be deep, but instead tries to give you the feeling how it is to be a hero of epic proportions whose existence alone is changing the world. Maybe you think games you mentioned do this better, but in my opinion they do not come even close to BG when it comes to this feeling of epicness. Now note, that I am not saying BG is the best game evah cause its full of pure epicness. I am just saying that no game does this better and for that the story is largely to blame and this whole discussion started because of the guy who said the story is dumb and simple, while I disagree with that statement completely.

3. The games you mentioned are certainly heroic, but they are not of such epic proportions. In the games you mentioned you never have the feeling all of the universe, Gods and every notable figure in the world is concentrated on you. BG gives you that feeling and no other game does this. At least not the games I remember playing.

4. Don't forget the atmosphere, the music, the characters you fight and meet, all the cool divine powers you gain. Even the Gods are worried about your rise to power. Some want to help you, others fear you. What other game gives you this?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Xor said:
My main gripe, plot-wise, is with BG2 and TOB.
Well, i didn't really liked plot of TOB either, but i think that plots in all BG games suited the type of gameplay that series were built around pretty well, i.e. they both kept me motivated in a gameworld that was not interactive enough to sustain Fallout/Arcanum type non-linear plot and at the same time they avoided over the top "save-the-world" crap and focused on your charachter. I felt like i played the story of my charachter(maybe not the best story ever, but still) and not somebody's lame "save the world" novel/movie ( NWN2 :x ), even if some cities and regions were indeed saved during the game.

Mareus

Magister
Xor said:
It's hard to get a straight answer out of you.

1) I'm trying to figure out what you consider "epic" about the Baldur's Gate series. Of course I could come up with my own interpretation, but that doesn't really help me flame you, does it? Also, "disagrumented" is not a word.
I know it is not a word, but since I am not a native speaker I think I can be forgiven some mistakes in my lack of words. But I think you are smart enough to figure out what I was trying to say. Epicness is explained above.

Xor said:
2) As Hampster pointed out, Baldur's Gate isn't really a save-the-world type game, so I guess I should re-state my point. Baldur's Gate is pretty fucking generic, full of stock characters and fantasy cliches. Also, you once again tried to use opinion as fact without giving an argument. Good job sounding like a dumbass.
1. Hampster is just trying to remind us there is more to the story than saving the world from a badass and I agree with that.
2. Let us say you are right (you are not) and that I am spewing my own opinions all this time so what do you do? You decide to do the same? Well I certainly see the logic in that. Great job sailor.
3. I have offered a lot more than just opinions.

Xor said:
3) I'm not challenging your opinion because it's fucking retarded. Just because you think LOTR is the pinnacle of the fantasy genre doesn't mean it's up to others to teach you otherwise.
And this is another proof you are a retard because you obviously cannot read. Read my line under EDIT. LOL!

Xor said:
4) Having never read Memento, I would be unable to tell you how difficult it would be. I doubt it would be as difficult as you claim, however. Just because they're of different genres doesn't mean they're impossible to compare.
:facepalm:

Xor said:
5) I was mocking you. I'll do it again.
"I don't understand when people make fun of my retarded point of view."
No, you are just embarrasing yourself.

Xor said:
6) I don't really have anything else to add here, but you're still a dumbass.
Whatever makes you happy, kid.

Thrasher

Erudite
I'm sorry but the BG/2 story was not the best. It does not pass the memory filter.

What the hell was it? Something about being a child of Bhaal and some evil mastermind. Not earth shattering.

Only a few game stories pass my memory test: Torment, Half-Life 1, SW KOTOR 1.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thrasher said:
I'm sorry but the BG/2 story was not the best. It does not pass the memory filter.

What the hell was it? Something about being a child of Bhaal and some evil mastermind. Not earth shattering.

Only a few game stories pass my memory test: Torment, Half-Life 1, SW KOTOR 1.
Story and half-life 1 in same sentence, and kotor 1 there?
:declineofthecodex:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I think Baldur's Gate is a great game.

You're like growing up inside a big library and then you're done with growing up and then you go out on a big journey with your foster father and then your foster father is murdered and then you go and meet your foster father's old friends and then you decide to work as a mercenary and help stop some evil kobolds and then you totally stop the iron shortage and then you go to the big city and work as mercenaries and then you investigate some weird faction and you find out that you're like this awesome child of a dead god and all kinds of stuff and then you realize that you must kill your own brother SO THAT HE WON'T TAKE OVER THE FUCKING WORLD and then you kill your own brother. Game over.

I think Baldur's Gate 2 is a great game.

You're like travelling with your buddies when all of a sudden you're like ambushed by some weird people working for a weird wizard voiced by Awesome von Awesomeman and you break free during an attack and you like explore this creepy torture hall basement bed and breakfast thing he got going here and you climb a bunch of stairs and finally you're in the city and you see the wizard killing people and then Imoen decides that it's a good idea to challenge the wizard and then both Imoen and the wizard is taken away by the wizard cops and you have to get money to get a ship that will take you to them so you can free Imoen and kill the wizard and after selling the loot you got in the wizard's dungeons and handing an orphan over to a paladin you got enough money to book passage so you get to the prison and you fight fight fight your way inside and you fight fight fight your way outside and then you end up in fish people city and then you end up in the underdark and Drizzt is like nowhere to be SEEN so you're shit scared but you meet a friendly dragon who you can befriend and then you're employed by drows and have to do their bidding so you get trusted and then you backstab them and you escape up to the surface where a bunch of nice guy elves are killing bad guy elves and you help the nice guy elves and then you also help the nice guy elves free the nice guy elf city from the wizard who was like totally allied with the bad guy elves and you defeat him but then you end up in hell and has to undergo a bunch of trials and you do the trials and defeat the wizard and now I'm so tired of writing that I'm just going to say you kill the wizard and watch the ending movie about him getting raped by a bunch of demons and then a bunch of wizards are sitting around a table and say you must be stopped and that you must play Throne of Bhaal expansion pack.

I think Throne of Bhaal is a great game.

You meet a woman who you don't know is the bad guy but totally is the bad guy and she sends you on your way to kill the other bhaal spawns you never knew nothing about and then you kill the woman and then it's like game over.

Yes. Great games, indeed.

Look, I love Baldur's Gate too. I think they're good games. But there's no way I can ever say with a straight or gay face that they have a good story. And there's no FUCKING way I will ever say they have a great story! I'm sorry. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. It doesn't matter to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom