Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Andyman Messiah wins this thread.

half-life plot:
You are scientist that do weird experiment and some shit happens and monsters enter from other dimension and try to rape you along with other scientists. But you fight your way through all kinds of tunnels and stuff. Then military gets involved but not to save scientist but to kill them with monsters and burn shit out of black mesa complex. But you continue and you are fucking scientist but you shoot like 200 fucking trained soldiers along with tanks and helicopters. Ah, yes, all the time during walking through corridors some figure with case appears seems to be watching you. And then after long hours of walking you launched into another dimension to show how more original this game can be. You fight your way through bunch of different monsters and finally kill the main - big infant guy. After such crushing defeat the figure mentioned before speak up to you and tell you to work for him.

How I tired of half-life game mentioned with good plot phrase in one sentence.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I forgot to mention that the wizard wants to use your powers to take over the world and that the woman wants to use your powers to take over the world too. Or maybe destroy the world. I get those mixed up all the time.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You got it wrong. He wants to use your power to fight his curse, destroy some ancient tree therefore take revenge on elves which cursed him coz he wanted power of said tree and then destroy the world.

This is one of the best rpg plot. Why you mixed up and forgot main details?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh right. But after that you just know he's gonna take over the world, right? I mean... come on. :D You know he's gonna do it! :D

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
And you know he totally has sex with her. I mean, she's a vampire, dude! Vampires have sex all the time!

Alright, enough bullshit.

Mareus

Magister
I can make fun out of PST too if I want to. You are like this guy full of scars and you wake up in the mortuary and then this flying skull comes to you and reads some tatoos of your body and you learn you can't die and you then search for Pharod who is supposed to have your journal but he wants you to bring him a magical item from catacombs where you have to fight some rats.... bla bla bla

Does this mean PST has a bad story? Of course not. Same applies for BG, but hey, nice try.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The fact that you had to go "bla bla bla" gives it all away as a poor attempt at being just as awesome as I am, Mareus. Nice try.

Planescape: Torment has a story that is so different compared to any other story in any game so far. Most other games are about killing people so they won't use their powers to be evil and stuff. Torment is about a guy doing some serious personal development. You can't compare it to anything.

By the way, I do like Baldur's Gate. But, like I said, I will never say it has a good story. Because frankly it doesn't have a good story. And the game IS 95% about killing those who get in your way.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yeah, the BG 2 story was not memorable, so it doesn't pass for me at least. It wasn't bad, just not great.

Out of the stories I can remember, I'd say Torment was the only great one.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Andyman Messiah said:
Oh right. But after that you just know he's gonna take over the world, right? I mean... come on. :D You know he's gonna do it! :D
No, he won't :wink:

Mareus

Magister
I thought it was pretty obvious I am not comparing PST with BG. I was just trying to show how easy it is to sound sarcastic and to describe a great story like shit. But whatever.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
epicblow.jpg

Korgan

Arbiter
In addition to the various fixes, get Ascension. It improves the AI and some stuff in ToB, including the final battle. Not insanely difficult, but still plesantly challenging. Also, Kelsey is well known for being the best mod NPC. He's not annoying, has tons and tons of banters and is reasonably kickass.

Erebus

Arcane
Yes, Ascension is a must (although I would say it does make the final fight insanely difficult).

I haven't tried many of the mods adding NPCs that can join your party. I remember giving the Solaufein mod a try, but it didn't grab my interest so I got rid of him pretty quickly. I also played once with the female kensai whose name I've forgotten (you know the one : daughter of Akadi, 25 Dex, has something witty or bold to say about every single thing and more text than any five NPCs put together...). Her Mary-Sueness got very annoying after a while and the one thing I enjoyed about this mod is that she can actually decide to leave you before the final battle if you haven't been treating her well enough (reminiscent of the influence system found in later games).

EDIT : Oh yeah, almost forgot, I've tried the Valen mod too. It's quite entertaining, in an evil sort of way.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There's only one thing to say about the NPC mods: Don't.

Unless you want equal gigantic doses of lulz and brain-tumours with Saerileth.

Erebus

Arcane
I had never even heard about Saerileth a week ago. Am I really better off for knowing that somebody created a BG2 mod about a 15-year old romanceable paladin who speaketh thusly ? Probably not.

As I said, Valen's okay. She doesn't have huge amounts of dialogue but she's great if you feel like always taking the evilest options available.

Vibalist

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
The fact that you had to go "bla bla bla" gives it all away as a poor attempt at being just as awesome as I am, Mareus. Nice try.

I think the point is that you can always make something look stupid if you go out of your way to do so. It's not really that difficult to make BG seem like shit when your present it in the same way a 13-year old would.

Besides, I pretty much agree with Mareus that comparing PS:T and BG storylines is like comparing Memento and Lord of the Rings. It's two different types of games, so there's no reason to expect them to be similar. BG was a great game if you took it for what it was, and certainly had a better plot than most other fantasy tales in my eyes.

Thrasher

Erudite
Comparing memento to Planescape is somewhat reasonable (allowing for the totally differnet setting), but LotR to BG - not even close.

In general analogies are very weak support in any sort of debate and should be avoided.

Vibalist

Arcane
Alright then, but my point still is that BG is very good at doing what it does and shouldn't be compared to PS:T which tries to do something different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom