Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate turns 25 years old

Will you be (re)playing Baldur's Gate to celebrate?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the good thing about bg1 is that it's glorious low level 2e full of danger and death and reloading and sweet victory. but you get that and much better combat from pool of radiance. the combat of pool to bg1 is what michaelangelo's sketchbook is to a child's finger painting.

pool of radiance turned 35 this year, where were it's birthday wishes?

Falksi

Arcane
Replayed it around 3-4-ish years back. Nice nostalgia trip, but I think I've had my time with it now.

No replay has ever captured the joy of that first amazing playthrough.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All hail the King!. All hail to BG1!.

Something I mentioned in a short review of Knight's Tale recently: it is a more complete experience that PF:K and other games with hundreds of spells and abilities because the devs created a game that gels together with what it has available. The first & best game to do that was BG1.

If any of the original devs lurk in this pit of scum and villiany, I'd like to say thanks for 25 years of a gaming masterpiece. In every way. The art, the writing, the combat, the whole thing. When I think of the hours I've put in over the years and...I'd do it all again, and I will.

Just a shame that Beamdog and Larian can't carry the torch even if someone shoved it up their ass and it set them on fire.

I just finished BG1 EE not long ago to check it out and SoD. I have yet to finish my BG2 phase. Its been crossing my mind lately anyway. I think its time.

goregasm

Scholar
Im currently installing scs (or mods) for the first time. No idea it was BGs burfday, just wanted to play.

Been well over 10 years since I have played, Im going in raw and dry by all accounts, with installing this for the saga and having forgotten more than I recall about the games.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmmm...
I'm going to replay it next month. I think. With some gimmicks.
1. I will install SCS. Maybe NPC content mod?
2. Charname will be a bard.
3. I will probably roll with a rather lame "most content in vanila" party. Eldoth + Garrick + Skie + Shar-Teel + Xan.

Had Feargus slipped in the shower, broke his ankle and called in sick that day, not only would this have never happened. There wouldn't have been a dedicated BioWare section in this forum to begin with. Nor would they have ever been credited for revitalizing a then struggling genre.

Imagine you're the lead designer of BG, leave BioWare, found a new studio and your next game is gonna be another BioWare game. That's the BioWare magic grandpa used to talk about: Chasing market trends from day 1 -- except if you're being Feargus'd from it.

:slamdunk:

Gargaune

Magister
I'd like to, but my plate is kinda full right now. Maybe come summer.

user

Savant
Happy birthday BG!!!

QXp46in.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had Feargus slipped in the shower, broke his ankle and called in sick that day, not only would this have never happened. There wouldn't have been a dedicated BioWare section in this forum to begin with. Nor would they have ever been credited for revitalizing a then struggling genre.

Imagine you're the lead designer of BG, leave BioWare, found a new studio and your next game is gonna be another BioWare game. That's the BioWare magic grandpa used to talk about: Chasing market trends from day 1 -- except if you're being Feargus'd from it.

:slamdunk:

The Codex must go back in time and assassinate FU before this is allowed to happen.

We must begin researching the time machine immediately!

Fittingly, not a single mentioning of this on any Bioware Social Media. But rather a celebration of The Old Republic's whopping 12th season, yay.

As argued, there's a parallel universe out there in which they're developing B-tier Soulslikes, Ubisoft clones and Visual Novels as we speak. There's a reason that anything they even kept from BG is pretty much companions, romances and storylinesl, the stuff they found sticked with most of their audience. That's about it. Anything else has been up for grabs from day one -- whatever is currently popular: BioWare's going for it.

MerchantKing

Learned
There is very little about any Baldur's Gate game that makes me want to replay them any more. I think I'm going to play CIV 3 instead. I'll be playing as England of course since there is no Israel option. (Antisemitism on the part of Sid Meier maybe?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom