Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign launching on June 2nd

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
:M

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
You know, the edgy commenting and nerd-related convos aside
image.png

I LOVE edgy be my guest
:drink:

Weasel
And you lose all fucking hope regarding this site.. but that is just me. It is primarily and foremost a site for manchildren and their beloved toys, so it is yes, most reasonable i suppose to expect such reactions.

So you'll be leaving us then? If so, you'll be missed. You've made a remarkable contribution to the forum in your short time with us.
:salute:

Ulrox

Arbiter
Wasteland, Torment, Pillars of Eternity etc... they are all based on concepts which are accepted by mainstream gamers.

Disagree, I have a friend who feels that if it isn't first person or third person then it destroys immersion, said friend doesn't have a problem with action rpg's like diablo though so I'm not sure what his point is.

Athelas

Arcane
Wasteland, Torment, Pillars of Eternity etc... they are all based on concepts which are accepted by mainstream gamers.

Disagree, I have a friend who feels that if it isn't first person or third person then it destroys immersion
Something tells me that sentiment wouldn't necessarily apply when the first person game is a grid-based, turn-based blobber.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Something tells me that sentiment wouldn't necessarily apply when the first person game is a grid-based, turn-based blobber.

Yes I agree with you, but the person I was replying to was making a point about games like pillars and wasteland 2 having more mainstream appeal than blobbers, and I was making a point that that isn't always necessarily true. The amount of text in games like wasteland and pillars and having to control more than 1 charecter seems to turn off quite a lot of people.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded

Yes I agree with you, but the person I was replying to was making a point about games like pillars and wasteland 2 having more mainstream appeal than blobbers, and I was making a point that that isn't always necessarily true. The amount of text in games like wasteland and pillars and having to control more than 1 charecter seems to turn off quite a lot of people.
Ohhhhhh do I smell the ugly face of truth...why could that be true? because i´ll give you planescape:torment as an example and an economic failure:martini:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Are people that stupid to donate again after the Wasteland debacle? They had the chance to prove their skills with Wasteland 2 ,more like 3 milion bucks worth of chances and they fucked up so bad...such a horrible experience.
3 milions bucks and the game felt worse than a mod for Neverwinter 1.

Expeditions:Conquistador had like 70k worth of donations and it was such a great experience,decent combat,writing and characters.So fuck this game and donate for the next Expeditions game.:incline:

Ulrox

Arbiter
Are people that stupid to donate again after the Wasteland debacle? They had the chance to prove their skills with Wasteland 2 ,more like 3 milion bucks worth of chances and they fucked up so bad...such a horrible experience.

Wholeheartedly disagree, prefer wasteland 2 to pillars of eternity mainly due to turn based combat.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Wholeheartedly disagree, prefer wasteland 2 to pillars of eternity mainly due to turn based combat.
And where the hell did i mentioned PoE?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ohhhhhh do I smell the ugly face of truth...why could that be true? because i´ll give you planescape:torment as an example and an economic failure:martini:
Planescape wasn't a failure though, so that would be a really bad example.

Ulrox

Arbiter
And where the hell did i mentioned PoE?

It is easier to gauge my how I feel about something by making comparisons. For instance I prefer baldur's gate to fallout anyday of the week. It says something about my values - so to answer you bluntly, you did not mention poe at all, I did.

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter
I'm not sure it succeeds - but even if it doesn't then we just wont see a bards tale 4. Brian will take the hint and work on probably a spiritual successor to fallout and all will be good. It is better to figure out if the market is interested in the IP, and not take the chance if it isnt, than build the game and then see no sales and lose your company.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I'm not sure it succeeds - but even if it doesn't then we just wont see a bards tale 4. Brian will take the hint and work on probably a spiritual successor to fallout and all will be good. It is better to figure out if the market is interested in the IP, and not take the chance if it isnt, than build the game and then see no sales and lose your company.
A very interesting point you are stating! Yes, yes Mr. Brian Feargus should make an evaluation, but for this he would need a functional managemant:troll:

likaq

Arcane

Expeditions:Conquistador had like 70k worth of donations and it was such a great experience,decent combat,writing and characters.So fuck this game and donate for the next Expeditions game.:incline:

Firstable: They did not spend 3 milion -
The game ( Wasteland 2 ) cost us around 5 million to create, all said and done
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2gvfzg/we_are_the_leads_on_wasteland_2_currently_the_1/

Secondly: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...sts-and-kickstarter.80854/page-6#post-2516170
You can't make a game of this size and complexity with only $77,000. For us to survive as a company, and continue making games, it's naïve to think we could have survived on the Kickstarter money alone. Investors and additional money HAS to be secured for a game like this to get made, unless you manage get much more than what you ask for on KS, and in fact we had to spend almost $70,000 of our own money to develop the prototype before we even launched the Kickstarter

Tldr: dragonul09 confirmed as retard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's funny that judging by the numbers we've seen so far for similar games, the new Torment will probably sell more-or-less the same amount.

(before it gets massively discounted, anyway, which also holds for PS:T in the GOG era)

Ulrox

Arbiter
look at:
http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Planescape:_Torment
It says: "The game was not a significant commercial success" --> economical failure or else it would be already eaten by big publishers
Notice the complete lack of a citation there. The game sold 400k, more than Fallout 1 (and probably 2), and was profitable.

Roguey would have the link to the forum post about it.

The question is also, how much does an rpg need to sell to be called a :"significant commercial success"? If we're talking skyrim numbers then D:OS, POE, And Wasteland 2 doesn't cut it.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Firstable: They did not spend 3 milion -
The game ( Wasteland 2 ) cost us around 5 million to create, all said and done
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2gvfzg/we_are_the_leads_on_wasteland_2_currently_the_1/

Secondly: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...sts-and-kickstarter.80854/page-6#post-2516170
You can't make a game of this size and complexity with only $77,000. For us to survive as a company, and continue making games, it's naïve to think we could have survived on the Kickstarter money alone. Investors and additional money HAS to be secured for a game like this to get made, unless you manage get much more than what you ask for on KS, and in fact we had to spend almost $70,000 of our own money to develop the prototype before we even launched the Kickstarter

Tldr: dragonul09 confirmed as retard.
So you just confirmed that Wasteland 2 was a major flop,5 mils for such a mediocre game is really sad.And let's not forget that the second part of the game was horrible,quest bugs galore,unifinished content...This is not acceptable for christ sake and i don't give a shit if major companies does the same,if you can't deliver just shut your trap and make those shitty 10 bucks game.

Inxile is a shit company and their past games prove that
Bards Tale 2004
Hunted The Demon Forge
Choplifter
You expect good games from them? Ha,Ha!

And did i said that Conquistador was created with only 77k? Fuck sake retard,learn to read.They didnt had a big budget but in the end it was a great game nontheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom