Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign launching on June 2nd

I am really intrigued by the concept of a wizardry-like turn-based game playing out in the fashion of a point-and-click adventure when traveling, rather than grids and squares.

Make it impossible to map. ;) Heh.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
possibly true, but also not.
then they have a choice between BT4 and nothing
1. How do you know that there won´t be any similar game(s) like BT4 when it comes out?
Even if in the end BT4 isn't as good,
2. Well depends how worse it is right?!
it'll still be better than nothing.
3. Not Necessarily true if you think about how they could spend their money.
For example:
Do you prefer spending your money for a game that has mechanics you like but is still not fun in its whole concept
or do you prefer spending it for an other (Whatever)RPG that you could like more at that time?!

Well now you're saying BT4 rivals with every RPG out there. Which is true, but not your initial point. Anyway the gaming world is better off with a funded BT4 than without. How much better off remains to be seen, but better off for sure.

Everyone else has given up on turnbased blobbers. Brian Fargo is our last hope.

There is another...

Yeah, there's Cleve. And maybe even another!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Oh, so you mean Grimoire? I don't give a damn. Firstly because of the dishonesty and ridiculous stalling tactics of the developer (even after official announcement), and secondly because it (demo) didn't reach my quality expectations.

With BT4 I'm pretty sure to get a game meeting most of my quality expectations, and a studio which actually delivers.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Well now you're saying BT4 rivals with every RPG out there. Which is true, but not your initial point.
No, I was talking about the Grimrock players and their point of view.
Anyway the gaming world is better off with a funded BT4 than without. How much better off remains to be seen, but better off for sure.
Never said anything different, so I can agree with this point!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Can't wait for the kickstarter. 4 days left.

On a sidenote... I hope the pitch doesn't start with 1.25 million dollars as the base amount of funding. Surely this amount is realistic in terms of production work, but not in regards to the community. Blobber games are a niche, and turnbased makes it even twice niche. We've already seen Brenda Romero and Guido Henkel fail. And they only reached 200k or 100k. A realistic pitch would probably start at 500k or less. But if it really starts at 1 million, chance is it ain't gonna happen.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Can't wait for the kickstarter. 4 days left.

On a sidenote... I hope the pitch doesn't start with 1.25 million dollars as the base amount of funding. Surely this amount is realistic in terms of production work, but not in regards to the community. Blobber games are a niche, and turnbased makes it even twice niche. We've already seen Brenda Romero and Guido Henkel fail. And they only reached 200k or 100k. A realistic pitch would probably start at 500k or less. But if it really starts at 1 million, chance is it ain't gonna happen.
Less than a million wouldn't be good for Fargo reputation after running two multimillion Kickstarter, he is practically obliged to ask for at least a million, that is very attanaible in my opinion, the problem is that sum will be the bare minimum for making a very limited game.
And please, don't cite Brenda's half scam, that was being very successful until people realized that was vaporware, and Guido failed becasuse of his cluelessness.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I can only hope it works, because the market is smaller with blobbers. Much smaller, in comparison to Birds-Eye-View games. Also the common approach regarding blobber-style-gameplay is:

1st try: "Where is the character? I can't see a 3d model. Is this a bug? I want to see it with equipment and naked! Nothing there."
2nd try: "oh, it's a first person RPG... ok, now where's my sword? I want to swing my fucking sword *click*click* I can't see no sword! This shit doesn't work!"
3rd try: "oh, at least moving works. Kinda boring... but uhuh... how can I be 6 characters, when I'm only one? That doesn't make sense. That's schizophrenic! Stupid game."

(Person quits and throws game in corner. Person tells his friends game sucks even though he gave it 3 chances).

Wasteland, Torment, Pillars of Eternity etc... they are all based on concepts which are accepted by mainstream gamers. Which also explains the high amount of funding received. Blobbers divert from this concept however. Some time ago I asked a Baldurs Gate player about Wizardry/Blobber style games. Unfortunately the answer didn't show any interest in these type of games. And that's a critical point. That passionate RPG players, who are used to Top-Down-RPGs, ignore blobbers. That there is a high possibility they don't care about it, or can't wrap their heads around it. Therefore I believe - for the sake of success (even if the game is shorter in the end) - it would probably be better to reach 500K first and then work from there upwards, rather than starting at 1000K which might not be reached at all (and thereby digging the grave for AAA quality turnbased blobbers in the future).

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Grimrock sold 600 000 copies or so. The only difference is turn-based, but even if that cuts out 1/2 of the market there's still potential for hundreds of thousands of backers. With an entry level at $20 and many people willing to put in much more, I'm honestly not worried, given Inxile's ability to get coverage.

Setting the bar at $500K, many people would know they need much more and feel played.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Plus blobbers offer the same perspective as massively successful AAA "RPG's" like Skyrim. In that respect, the top-down perspective games are not that much more popular than 1st person.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm really not a fan of projects that ask for less than they need, just so you'll make it. What's the point of making your funding goal if that's not enough to make the game you're describing? The initial goal for The Bard's Tale IV will be $1.25 million, and to that we'll add at least $1.25 million of our own funds, and then we're looking at a realistic minimum budget to start from.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Grimrock sold 600 000 copies or so. The only difference is turn-based, but even if that cuts out 1/2 of the market there's still potential for hundreds of thousands of backers. With an entry level at $20 and many people willing to put in much more, I'm honestly not worried, given Inxile's ability to get coverage.

Setting the bar at $500K, many people would know they need much more and feel played.

Same, I actually have a hunch this Kickstarter may blow away a lot of the sceptics in how much it gets.

I'm really not a fan of projects that ask for less than they need, just so you'll make it. What's the point of making your funding goal if that's not enough to make the game you're describing? The initial goal for The Bard's Tale IV will be $1.25 million, and to that we'll add at least $1.25 million of our own funds, and then we're looking at a realistic minimum budget to start from.

I've always wondered, what is the internal view of really ludicrous levels of extra funding? Do you actually look at exploding the scale of the game, or just production quality, or little extra? A lot of Kickstarters seem to disagree on this. I know inXile is on record with Torment as plowing all that money into making a bigger and better game, but I'm still curious because there's developers who clearly don't take this tack (witness the Rare platformer kickstarter where they're making exponentially more money than they expected but are adding only minor bonuses and not really touching the scale of their planned game).

Aenra

I know i am making a lot of people angry lately, but despite that (it being but a side effect and not my intention), i really do have to note how coincidental, charming and let me say it again, coincidental (did i mention surprising?) it is that all of a sudden !!! /drum roll
Brother None has time to yet again answer questions/reply to comments! Woo hoo... Where's Sea, lol?

You know, the edgy commenting and nerd-related convos aside, this place does usually manage to give an air of combined maturity/bitterness to me. And then you see threads like this one, with fanboys hoping in from the get go (hell, we even got victims fanboys for games that have already nicked money off people and 20 years later have yet to "release") praising upcoming titles, ex members coming back to shill for their boss, other members happily brofisting said shills so as to encourage them to continue to do their job.. and nobody even making a note of it..
'he did no shilling!' some of the more gullible will respond. Of course you idiots, he knows the limits so naturally he cannot (and why would he even want to?) be more obvious. He knows, you know, i know, that it is enough for him to come here and selectively reply to whatever he/they deem suitable

And you lose all fucking hope regarding this site.. but that is just me. It is primarily and foremost a site for manchildren and their beloved toys, so it is yes, most reasonable i suppose to expect such reactions. If we could only agree that said fact does not make these reactions any less heartbreaking to notice.

(no brother none, nothing personal, and assuming you'd feel inclined to take my word for it, no envy. On the contrary. Congratulations for your job and all it may bring to you, if it has not already. This is not about you in person. This is about a role that many, you but one among them, have to play. In varying degrees of fidelity, ethicality and effectiveness)

edit: Don't go wild on me please. Ignore me if it annoys you reading my posts. Just hold on to everything else. You will not know if or how wrong i was until say.. a decade later? We will see then and only then where all this has brought us

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'll get the 1.25 mil. Probably not in a week but definitely within two or three.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jaesun for fuck's sake come back bro! There's :butthurt:newfag edgelords to be kept in check here!!! This place is really going to the dogs, where is the authority when you need it?!!!

Aenra

True. Let us suck cock, and suck cock between one another, keep the gene pool infested clean. I already see you got yourself a brofist, come tomorrow, you'll have harvested a few more. Sadly Zeriel has yet to be equally blessed, but it's early yet, hope remains.

But my apologies. Allow me to rephrase. Heavens forbid people not only have a different opinion, but actually dare to express it. On a public forum of all places. The absurdity, i know.
Let's call them edgelords, because other members before us use that term too. That will not only show how much (and to what a depth) we can actually think for ourselves, it will also make us look like clone copies of one another fit in.

A good day to you both. If nothing else, your warm commentary is enjoying to read :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
True. Let us suck cock, and suck cock between one another, keep the gene pool infested clean. I already see you got yourself a brofist, come tomorrow, you'll have harvested a few more. Sadly Zeriel has yet to be equally blessed, but it's early yet, hope remains.

OnTheEdge.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom