Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

The one thing I really don't like is that you can't turn off the Counter Hint in Arkham City at all, no matter what difficulty, until you start New Game+. Now, you can in Origins but it's a good amount shittier in combat (as I explained earlier so meh).
Not to mention God fucking help you if you try and do that Deathstroke fight without the QTE hints on since the counter timing in now way lines up with the animations on screen. I think Origins gets a bad rep on the whole, but that Deathstroke fight is a travesty in terms of both writing and gameplay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The one thing I really don't like is that you can't turn off the Counter Hint in Arkham City at all, no matter what difficulty, until you start New Game+. Now, you can in Origins but it's a good amount shittier in combat (as I explained earlier so meh).
Not to mention God fucking help you if you try and do that Deathstroke fight without the QTE hints on since the counter timing in now way lines up with the animations on screen. I think Origins gets a bad rep on the whole, but that Deathstroke fight is a travesty in terms of both writing and gameplay.
I did the Deathstroke fight without QTE hints on :smug:

I did have to do it like 10 times, but on the other hand I didn't notice any difference in counter timing.

deuxhero

Arcane
I didn't have a problem with the city size in AC. There wasn't that much filler and visually it looked incredible. Of course, for my money Paul Dini was the best 'creative director' the Batman franchise has ever had. Burton is a distant second (mostly visuals). The new Batman movies are generic-as(s)-fuck action flicks. Haven't seen any of the newer cartoons like Brave and the Bold or whatever. Can't imagine they top BTAS, though.

Young Justice is good to OK (second season suffers from a much larger cast and thus shallower characterizations), though Batman is barely in it (Robin has however mastered of Batman's signature ability to vanish as soon as the camera is off of him, which is used to good effect.)

Young Justice is good to OK (second season suffers from a much larger cast and thus shallower characterizations), though Batman is barely in it (Robin has however mastered of Batman's signature ability to vanish as soon as the camera is off of him, which is used to good effect.)

I just recently rewatched all of YJ, and while I found it pretty decent upon first viewing, I found to my surprise that I pretty much hated everything about it on second viewing. The first season has absolutely no plot momentum at all, to the extent that I found myself greatly relieved when they timejumped and then went cosmic in Season 2, just because it slightly shook things up. I LOVE Greg Weisman, but Young Justice just feels like some exec told him to make a Degrassi cartoon. I can't even tell you how infinitesimal the shits I give about Superboy and Miss Martian's romance are.

There are some good cartoon action scenes, and some decent stand-alone eps (I think the Mystic episodes, and that one where the whole team watches the JL get murdered tend to be the stand-outs; I also digged the art design on the Atlantis episodes).

All in all: Bruce Timm's JL/JLU>>>>>>>>>>> Greg Weisman's YJ

deuxhero

Arcane
I marathoned the entire series while sick, so views on pacing will likely differ.

It felt like something you should go into with a greater than average but not-encyclopedic knowledge of DC stuff. X character being an Apocalypse agent is shown as a twist, but a well known part of the character (but the character is largely unknown)

It made great use of lesser known/goofier enemies (It made Sportsmaster, a no superpowers guy who fights with sporting equipment, a good antagonist), but failed HARD with the bigger ones (Joker and Bane in particular are awful. Bane would be OK if he was just called Bane's top lieutenant and not Bane himself, but their Joker was truly awful) except maybe Luthor.

It has nothing on the DCAU though, that's for sure

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Adding new criminals to the holding cells as you progress through the game looks like a great idea. Better dungeon mechanic than Pillars of Eternity. For shame, Cain.

I love the way they went around having players running enemies over with the Batmobile and killing them by adding the electroshock defenses, that knocks out thugs and sends them flying without killing them. Despite them being flung like ragdolls for 20 meters. :D

Batman: "Alfred? Did he make it?"
Alfred: [Speech 50] <Lie> "His vitals... are stable, Sir. He made it. Your 'no kill' rule remains intact."
Batman: "Hh. Good."

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I'd bet my kidney that the people responsible for writing Arkham City are really Batman fans at heart.
The main writer for Asylum and City was Paul Dini the writer and co-creator of the Batman animated series from the 90's so yeah he certainly is,his presence probably explains the presence of voice actors from the animated series(Kevin Conroy,Mark Hamill).Unfortunately he isn't the writer for Arkham Knight,I hope the writing doesn't suffer beacuase of that

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I just recently rewatched all of YJ, and while I found it pretty decent upon first viewing, I found to my surprise that I pretty much hated everything about it on second viewing. The first season has absolutely no plot momentum at all, to the extent that I found myself greatly relieved when they timejumped and then went cosmic in Season 2, just because it slightly shook things up. I LOVE Greg Weisman, but Young Justice just feels like some exec told him to make a Degrassi cartoon. I can't even tell you how infinitesimal the shits I give about Superboy and Miss Martian's romance are.

There are some good cartoon action scenes, and some decent stand-alone eps (I think the Mystic episodes, and that one where the whole team watches the JL get murdered tend to be the stand-outs; I also digged the art design on the Atlantis episodes).

All in all: Bruce Timm's JL/JLU>>>>>>>>>>> Greg Weisman's YJ
That's partially because they fucking canceled halfway through the main plot of Season 2.

That's partially because they fucking canceled halfway through the main plot of Season 2.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm unsure of what you are specifically are referring to.

The show definitely had potential, it just went way too broad (setting-wise) way too fast.

I guess you have to give them credit for their ambition in trying to create a pretty comprehensive DCU via a 20min cartoon (although that lack of focus ultimately sabotaged them). I will also admit that they were hamstrung by a bizarre airing schedule.

And yeah, major props to them for making Sportsmaster into a badass villain

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm unsure of what you are specifically are referring to.

The show definitely had potential, it just went way too broad (setting-wise) way too fast.

I guess you have to give them credit for their ambition in trying to create a pretty comprehensive DCU via a 20min cartoon (although that lack of focus ultimately sabotaged them). I will also admit that they were hamstrung by a bizarre airing schedule.

And yeah, major props to them for making Sportsmaster into a badass villain
I don't exactly remember the arch of episodes near the end, but it seemed to be finally showing the over-arching plot of the season. I only remember Aqua-lad being a double-agent. Checking wikipedia.. Oh yeah:

Wally died in the episode that was shown last

IMO if they cut out the Superboy-MartianManhuntress romance the show was pretty good. The characters were really done well, IMO. They were all unique with their own fun and flawed quirks. Robin showed a degree Batman's technical skills while having a his distinct personality. Aqualad I don't quite remember besides being calm in any situation, kinda reminded me of Martian Manhunter. Was pleasantly surprised he was picked as team leader. Wally was just great - perfect balance between being annoying and being too annoying. Superboy was done well with the anger issues, feeling like he was in Superman's shadow, etc (and then Superman accepting him was heartwarming). Artemis was alright, and I can't remember much of Red Arrow (I think he left partway, right?).

I guess just fuck Martian Manfucktress because I don't remember her being anything but whiny, and putting in a dumb romance plot.

Edit: Justice League went pretty broad after it turned into Justice League Unlimited didn't it? Admittedly I haven't caught nearly all the episodes of that "one" show... I really should, the ones I watched were great. And Wally in this and YJ are my role models.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Edit: Justice League went pretty broad after it turned into Justice League Unlimited didn't it? Admittedly I haven't caught nearly all the episodes of that "one" show... I really should, the ones I watched were great. And Wally in this and YJ are my role models.
Not excessively. It still focused on the core group (though Martian Manhunter's pretty much sidelined as the HQ receptionist), and adds more characters to the main cast, such as Green Arrow, Supergirl and The Question (who in the show is essentially a child-friendly Rorschach). There were a couple of episodes that focused on the new B-listers, and most of them were pretty good (especially the one focusing on Booster Gold, and another later in the series where a group of D-listers have to try and save the day from The General), but for the most part it stayed pretty concise and regulated those to stand-alone episodes.

Catfish

Learned
Not excessively. It still focused on the core group (though Martian Manhunter's pretty much sidelined as the HQ receptionist), and adds more characters to the main cast, such as Green Arrow, Supergirl and The Question (who in the show is essentially a child-friendly Rorschach). There were a couple of episodes that focused on the new B-listers, and most of them were pretty good (especially the one focusing on Booster Gold, and another later in the series where a group of D-listers have to try and save the day from The General), but for the most part it stayed pretty concise and regulated those to stand-alone episodes.

I thought MM got one of the best arcs in the series - on him feeling alone and alienated and such. Also, Question should really get his own spinoff :)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Just watched one of the older trailers. It had the Knight's voice. Sounded Latino. Bane? Without Venom perhaps? I mean he is almost Batman's equal in mind.

Catfish

Learned
Just watched one of the older trailers. It had the Knight's voice. Sounded Latino. Bane? Without Venom perhaps? I mean he is almost Batman's equal in mind.

I don't know, isn't Bane quite a bit bigger than the arkham knight? Plus, the devs did receive permission to write in a new character for the DCU - wouldn't that be a gigantic missed opportunity?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know, isn't Bane quite a bit bigger than the arkham knight? Plus, the devs did receive permission to write in a new character for the DCU - wouldn't that be a gigantic missed opportunity?
Make no mistake, this will be a wasted opportunity regardless.

Catfish

Learned
Make no mistake, this will be a wasted opportunity regardless.

Why? Rocksteady didn't disappoint before. The only bad news on this one is that Dini isn't writing the story (dlc shenanigans notwithstanding, will wait for goty version)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rocksteady nailed the gameplay and atmosphere. The actual plots and characterizations? Not so good.

Catfish

Learned
Rocksteady nailed the gameplay and atmosphere. The actual plots and characterizations? Not so good.

Meh, it was serviceable. I didn't begin to question the script problems until my third playthrough of City, but since a third playthrough even happened - I'm not too worried :)

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dax and Gaz team-up - double the hosts, double the drugs!

The way Predator is being marketed is worrying. New features: ranged enviromental insta-takedowns and enviroments where sound isn't an issue. Oh, and the triple insta-takedown ("Fear Takedown") that you recharge after a single silent takedown. Arkham City added stuff that made Predator harder, such as mines, Detective Vision jammers, and giving the thugs the ability to shoot down gargoyles (the latter was too under-utilized to make a difference in more than 1 out of 50 scenarios, though). So far, the additions in Arkham Knight make it seem like they've tried their best to take the challenge out of the stealth gameplay.

It's at least good that the goddamn Batmobile isn't mandatory for car chases or lone tanks (which you can defeat with the Disruptor Rifle).

Final predictions:

• The plot will be shit, trying too hard to make the most epic Batman story ever
  • The dialogue will be bad ("I'm gonna show the Arkham Knight what happens when he messes with my city!")
  • The characters will be OK
  • The Batmobile will be somewhat fun but a chore after a while, and its inclusion will hurt the rest of the game
  • Predator will be disappointing
  • Freeflow combat will be fun as hell
  • Exploration and progressing through new levels will be will be fun, as usual in this series
  • Non-racetrack Riddler puzzles will be fun
  • Dual-play will be nice, and give me a Bat-family boner

I already know that the graphics and music are great.

Popamole GOTY 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom