Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah in Asylum the trophy collection was ok
But in City they should've changed it - they could've left the more demanding puzzles as one half and the other half could've been some physical challenges ; and at the end of them, instead of a trophy you got a clue to one of the hostages location

Ezekiel

Arcane
No, Ubisoft tasks are lazier. Would compare the Riddler trophies more to secrets in old 3D platformers. I liked them, because the games weren't enjoyable enough to play again after New Game Plus and were Batman only in name.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I heard that some Riddler Trophies in Arkham Knight are missable?. So AFAIK you have to fly around randomly interrogating Riddler guys for locations (work). Then you do the trophies (more work @ 250 or so) only to repeat the same battle with the Riddler to get access to the whole game + ending.

This is narcissism + autism. Play our game the way we want or we remove the experience from you. Or they were gathering info on how many autists did it by grooming them for this online service buisness plan they're talking about. I can happily walk away from this, but with autism on the rise one can only think of the children...

...Fucking brain dead consumers all round.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think I heard that some Riddler Trophies in Arkham Knight are missable?. So AFAIK you have to fly around randomly interrogating Riddler guys for locations (work). Then you do the trophies (more work @ 250 or so) only to repeat the same battle with the Riddler to get access to the whole game + ending.

This is narcissism + autism. Play our game the way we want or we remove the experience from you. Or they were gathering info on how many autists did it by grooming them for this online service buisness plan they're talking about. I can happily walk away from this, but with autism on the rise one can only think of the children...

I don't remember. But you can't restart the adventure in the same file after NG+, so the trophies aren't missable. Anyway, putting unlocks in a Batman game and making the map unfold that way was a mistake. Kills replay value. I wanna be able to quickly get into his best adventures again without being so limited by the lack of abilities. The story is too much of a slog for those few moments. Make it linear.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why do fans like Barbara in a wheelchair? I never read those comics. Seems like such a waste to cripple her when no other Batman games will be made for years and years. Alfred was already available for intel.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't remember. But you can't restart the adventure in the same file after NG+, so the trophies aren't missable. Anyway, putting unlocks in a Batman game and making the map unfold that way was a mistake. Kills replay value. I wanna be able to quickly get into his best adventures again without being so limited by the lack of abilities. The story is too much of a slog for those few moments. Make it linear.

I don't think the team for this game knew what the hell theywere doing tbh. Just putting the Riddler races in the game was a sign of pure ignorance for example. I was playing better than guys on Youtube doing guides who were dying 5-10 times per course, and I still felt like a Chinese girl taking her first driving lesson.

Be the Batman. Yeah sure.

ind33d

Educated
there should be a batman XCOM

replace the DUMB with Wayne Manor and the ayys with Batman villains

Ezekiel

Arcane
Didn't need more explanation.

It kind of does, though. Even if I agree with you that these games don't have amazing gameplay.

Video commentary is in progress. I am writing my script. Have more to say than I expected. Will also use footage from other games, the animated series, Batman Returns and possibly Aeon Flux (The creator said something about comic book clothes in his audio commentary for the first season.), if YouTube doesn't copyright-rape me. Definitely will make two versions of the video. Tempted to watch GmanLives' video "Batman Arkham City Is Still a Masterpiece" to get more ideas for what to shit on. Watched only the first minutes when he released it months ago because the absurd title triggered me.

Something I never brought up before is the forced walking. I mean walking that's by default built into every second of gameplay, since you need to hold the run button to actually run. It wasn't quite as bothersome for me because of how accessible the Spacebar is, but it's still bad design that limits other aspects of the game.

End of the section: "They easily could have put a dedicated jump button in there by letting the player run without holding that button on the face of the controller. If they had not limited all the tilt of the stick to just one degree of movement. [INSERT ZELDA ANALOG MOVEMENT FOOTAGE HERE] Jumps could have been used in fights. [STREETS OF RAGE JUMP KICK HERE] I do like how the cape opens for gliding when you hold the jump... or run button in midair. That I would have kept."

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Replaying Arkham City for hate material (Yes, I'm serious.) made me also realize that there is no point to the open world, since you just glide and rappel over everything anyway. It's just an empty sea between the locations (inside buildings) where stuff actually happens. Just one more example of many of how linear design crushes almost every time.

Open worlds are best for sandbox design, games that provide a great deal of creative freedom.

You know what else? Everything or Nothing's linear car and motorcycle chases would have been better than the abundant tank battles we got in Knight. Only a few chases instead of so much that it becomes absurd. No upgrades then? Upgrades hurt more games than they enhanced.

Ash

Arcane
Hey Ezekiel, here's some ammo for you:

No skill specifics you may have missed - Gargoyle statues that you auto-jump on, no skill
Regenerating xray vision that points everything out for you like a tard.
Aerial takedowns while gliding towards enemies - instead of having to line up your strike and time the button press (see aerial takedowns in say, Tenchu), the button prompt appears on screen with a massive radius. timing and positional precision barely matter. It's almost impossible to fail.
No falling damage - so the open world is bland and empty. However with failing damage and some sensible limitations on the gliding and rappeling there could have been a saving grace by making traversal of it actually interesting. Also if I recall the rappelling is automatically aimed and sticks to anything, further making the whole affair utterly braindead.
Seems like you have the retarded combat specifics covered.

gmanlives is a typical disappointing popamoler that has played so many games but is still unable to comprehend real games from retard worthless shit. I take his reviews with a heavy grain of salt as while he has some decent understanding in niche cases (old school FPS, and even then he ain't perfect e.g the usual claims that Goldeneye was a step forward when it is largely the opposite and decline), he is just an utter game design dunce, ultimately.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Ash, didn't see your post until now. I actually already wrote some of that into my script and in fact changed my mind about the glide.

The warning icons above enemies are only removed in New Game Plus and can't be turned off in Riddler's Revenge, the collection of challenge maps.

I would remove the glide. Not because it's unrealistic, but because it would serve no purpose in a linear Batman game. At most, opening the cape up with the jump button while falling should soften falls. Yes, I want Batman games to be linear. Why do Batman games need to have open worlds if the player rappels and glides over everything anyway? There is really nothing of interest between the intricate interiors where things actually happen, aside from a few side-quests where you have to rush to destinations and those hundreds of Riddler trophies and challenges, which could have been placed in a linear game too. As a side note, even after collecting all the trophies in the Rocksteady trilogy years ago, I must say that they are pretty stupid. The stories and art direction take themselves so seriously, while all the glowing question marks, traps and button contraptions are like something out of a cartoon collect-a-thon. ["Banjo Kazooie" clips juxtaposed with "Riddler trophies" clips] But I digress... It's far easier to concentrate good level design in a linear game. Open worlds are best for sandbox design, games that provide a great deal of creative freedom.

I was even thinking about removing this part: "At most, opening the cape up with the jump button while falling should soften falls." Because, like you said, it makes traversal too easy.

Ash

Arcane
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it has to be linear. That's quite extreme. See Dying Light for a open world game with far more meaningful, skill-based traversal. Most open world action games do suck but it isn't the fault of open world at a conceptual level, but rather just modern AAA devs being shameless sellouts.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I already finished Arkham Knight 7x at launch so now I just steal their DLCs and port them to other games.

Ezekiel In fact I stole Pattinson immediately after it was released XD

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Lol the last time I played Arkham Knight was 2015... I already had logged 171 hours.

1713627233436.png

Knightfall Protocol.
All Riddler Trophies.

Seriously never playing AK again because.. fuck the Batmobile sequences.

Edit: And also because of the memory of tweaking the fuck out of AK because fucking Unreal console ports at release are shieat.

Ash

Arcane
Change your name to Manchild. Even that my younger kid self finds offensive, as as a child I sought mentally-engaging content, not meaningless virtual tours of no substance. How in the actual fuck did you get 171.4 hours out of this piece of shit game?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Change your name to Manchild. Even that my younger kid self finds offensive, as as a child I sought mentally-engaging content, not meaningless virtual tours of no substance. How in the actual fuck did you get 171.4 hours out of this piece of shit game?
A shitload of time tweaking texture streaming
Stupid Riddler shit
A determination of beating this shit no matter what.

You think I enjoyed this? No. I wanted to beat it for what it was.

Spite.

I run on spite.

Edit: Manchild has nothing to do with Mongoose

Edit 2: I already played PST as a child - and have replaced many times since - same with FO1/2... So I'm kinda out of games that are mentally challenging. And yes I have played DOS and DOS2.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, 171.4 hours is not nearly my max playlength:

1713627975368.jpeg

Fantasy - Sports - Superheroes - 40k - 40k - 40k

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
But, if most open world games fail, why risk it, Ash?

Screw Matt Reeves and Robert Pattison. The Batman is even worse than The Dark Knight Rises.

Ash

Arcane
A shitload of time tweaking texture streaming
Stupid Riddler shit
A determination of beating this shit no matter what.

You think I enjoyed this? No. I wanted to beat it for what it was.

Spite.

I run on spite.

Edit: Manchild has nothing to do with Mongoose

Edit 2: I already played PST as a child - and have replaced many times since - same with FO1/2... So I'm kinda out of games that are mentally challenging. And yes I have played DOS and DOS2.
hahaha. I feel like I know you. I think I recognize that avatar, posting style and unconventional mentality (terrible taste!). Have you played Deus Ex?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
But, if most open world games fail, why risk it, Ash?

They fail because selling out and/or misguided design direction (crap developers with bad priorities), not actual technical or design hurdles.

Linear is easier to structure and make engaging yes, but many open games have accomplished great things. The absolute main concern in terms of structure/size is not making your game too big. Open world games aim for 100 square miles these days and that is just retarded.

Machocruz

Arcane
See Dying Light for a open world game with far more meaningful, skill-based traversal.
Every Batman origin story I read as a kid showed him practicing gymnastics as part of his training. Missed opportunity, flying virgin Wayne vs. roof-jumping chad Crane.

Ash

Arcane
Dying Light actually makes you FEEL like batman, because the gameplay means something and you have to pull off maneuvers with finesse. Playing these rocksteady games just makes me feel like a goddamn retard. Urgh, game journos.

Edit: I was looking up the meme to find ridiculing content: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-game-really-makes-you-feel-like-batman

Turns out Dunkey went hard on it and popularized the meme on a wider scale. Dunkey is rather popamole at times (e.g he think Bioshock is a masterpiece), but sometimes he is on point. See:

He wasn't the only one rediculing it though. I sure as shit was triggered back then and mocking it, and I remember others too.

Anyways, anyone thinks this game is good, which many do, can only be drooling retards. Goddamn.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Well alot of shitty writers and fanboys think Batman should be a Gary-Stu man-god, so easy mode is how they think it should feel play as him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom