Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I just finished this. I bought it years ago, never played it, then suddenly had the urge to play it in the middle of playing God of War, and I was really impressed by how good it is. I've beaten all of the Arkham games, although I typically rush through them and just do the main stories (beating Arkham City was actually really hard because my batman was so underleveled that some of the final fights were impossible. I think I beat that game on the hardest difficulty in like 11 hours).

I spent 50 hours on this on Hard and wish I had more time to do all the Riddler trophies, but fuck that. I needed to finish it this weekend before Elden Ring, so I just did the main storyline, the sidequests, and watched the 100% ending on youtube rather than spending 10 hours doing all of the fucking riddler trophies (the riddler trophies are usually well designed but a common theme to this series is that there's just too many of them. Each game should have 25-30 tops).

My impressions: By far the best game in the series, and the storyline is miles above the others as well. I was surprised by how taken I was with the plot, as while all the Arkham games (save for maybe Origins) have great writing, this one was a cut above the rest.

I fucking love the Batmobile too and don't understand why everyone hated it on release. Blasting around the city, destroying pillars and walls and the corners of buildings feels like nothing else, and I'm not sure that I could go back to the previous Arkham games with no batmobile. I even liked the combat segments, which sometimes got annoying, but were a welcome break from the beat em up segments.

As to the melee combat, it's top notch as far as 3rd person combat goes, but I've never personally liked it. I hate the extended rhythm style gameplay of it, so it's never been my favorite part of the series, but to its credit it's definitely better than almost every other 3rd person action game on the market that tries to mimic it (Witcher, AC, Shadow of Mordor, etc).

I just finished this. I bought it years ago, never played it, then suddenly had the urge to play it in the middle of playing God of War, and I was really impressed by how good it is. I've beaten all of the Arkham games, although I typically rush through them and just do the main stories (beating Arkham City was actually really hard because my batman was so underleveled that some of the final fights were impossible. I think I beat that game on the hardest difficulty in like 11 hours).

I spent 50 hours on this on Hard and wish I had more time to do all the Riddler trophies, but fuck that. I needed to finish it this weekend before Elden Ring, so I just did the main storyline, the sidequests, and watched the 100% ending on youtube rather than spending 10 hours doing all of the fucking riddler trophies (the riddler trophies are usually well designed but a common theme to this series is that there's just too many of them. Each game should have 25-30 tops).

My impressions: By far the best game in the series, and the storyline is miles above the others as well. I was surprised by how taken I was with the plot, as while all the Arkham games (save for maybe Origins) have great writing, this one was a cut above the rest.

I fucking love the Batmobile too and don't understand why everyone hated it on release. Blasting around the city, destroying pillars and walls and the corners of buildings feels like nothing else, and I'm not sure that I could go back to the previous Arkham games with no batmobile. I even liked the combat segments, which sometimes got annoying, but were a welcome break from the beat em up segments.

As to the melee combat, it's top notch as far as 3rd person combat goes, but I've never personally liked it. I hate the extended rhythm style gameplay of it, so it's never been my favorite part of the series, but to its credit it's definitely better than almost every other 3rd person action game on the market that tries to mimic it (Witcher, AC, Shadow of Mordor, etc).

Wow. I disagree with pretty much everything you said here. I’m genuinely not trying to hop on board the “Wrong Carlo” meme-train, but I just can’t fathom how you think AK is, for one example, the best-written game in the series. It’s so chock-full of plot-holes and extended bits of character assassination that I don’t know if someone could pump out a worse script if they tried.

Praising the Batmobile segments makes me half suspect that you’re trolling, but if so you’re doing a very good job.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
chock-full of plot-holes

LOL, if I've learned anything from reading the internet, it's that people online have no idea what a plot hole is, but even more than that, they will hyper obsess over some tiny inconsistency, ignoring other elements that are more important. Did the game have plot holes? Probably. I didn't think about the plot that hard, nor do I particularly care to as it's a Batman video game, it's not fucking Shakespeare (who also had plot holes in abundance, mind you). It worked emotionally and had some bravo and memorable cinematic sequences that were incredibly effective. That's all I cared about.

and extended bits of character assassination

When it comes to whom? Batman? Batman's always been a dull as dishwater character. Batman was the least interesting part of this game, although the Joker dynamic and the Batman vs Wayne dynamic in this probably made him interesting for the first time in any of these Arkham games. At any rate, I've never been a huge comic book fan, so I don't especially care about what they do to Batman's character. By the end of this it's hinted strongly that Bruce Wayne is dead and in his place is just Batman 24/7, who now fights crime using Scarecrow's fear toxin to up the ante because the simple theatrics of the previous batman were no longer enough. Is that destroying the character? Maybe, but it was unexpected and tracks with the development of the character throughout the game, so I don't care.

Praising the Batmobile segments makes me half suspect that you’re trolling, but if so you’re doing a very good job.

Not trolling. Tell me any vehicle in a non-driving game that's as fun to control as the rocket powered tank busting through walls in this game. Like everyone else, I hated it at first, but I grew to love it by the end of the game, to the point that I'd actually drive everywhere, rather than flying.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Mad Max's vehicular combat was so disappointing for a game with that title. No motorcycles and big rigs either. Could have just taken the motorcycle mechanics they designed for Just Cause and tweaked them slightly.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Tell me any vehicle in a non-driving game that's as fun to control as the rocket powered tank busting through walls in this game.
are you 12?

Don't you kind of need to be in order to enjoy a Batman game? I mean, what's your point? That it'd be more "mature" and "adult" if the giant tank-like batmobile drove slightly slower? This is a game where you play as a batman who bounces around punching people in the face. Once you accept that you are an adult who enjoys that kind of thing, criticizing any individual element as immature is kind of silly.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Tell me any vehicle in a non-driving game that's as fun to control as the rocket powered tank busting through walls in this game.
are you 12?

Don't you kind of need to be in order to enjoy a Batman game? I mean, what's your point? That it'd be more "mature" and "adult" if the giant tank-like batmobile drove slightly slower? This is a game where you play as a batman who bounces around punching people in the face. Once you accept that you are an adult who enjoys that kind of thing, criticizing any individual element as immature is kind of silly.
yeah i guess i dont think about this stuff because i dont play superhero games for children

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
are you 12?

yeah i guess i dont think about this stuff because i dont play superhero games for children
15507.jpg

Just the superhero games for emos then.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mad Max's vehicular combat was so disappointing for a game with that title. No motorcycles and big rigs either. Could have just taken the motorcycle mechanics they designed for Just Cause and tweaked them slightly.
Just Cause vehicle mechanics are actually kinda shit, I remember it being the worst compared to its open-world contemporaries. The whole package is fun, and the fault of the driving mechanics can be ignored since the grappling hook mechanics work perfectly with vehicular combat, but in itself, driving is a miserable chore.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just Cause vehicle mechanics are actually kinda shit, I remember it being the worst compared to its open-world contemporaries. The whole package is fun, and the fault of the driving mechanics can be ignored since the grappling hook mechanics work perfectly with vehicular combat, but in itself, driving is a miserable chore.
Been a while but I recall the bikes turned too damn well.

Caim

Arcane
I've said it before and I'll say it again: in Just Cause 2 you don't drive your vehicles as much as you aim them, press the accelerate button and pray to Odin that your crash site is closer to your objective than your starting point.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I've said it before and I'll say it again: in Just Cause 2 you don't drive your vehicles as much as you aim them, press the accelerate button and pray to Odin that your crash site is closer to your objective than your starting point.
:lol: checks out.

Since I lost my save files during OS reinstallation last year, I had to start BAK from very begging, done almost every Most Wanted and only one - The Riddler. First challenge (no counting initial beat-em up part) is annoying puzzle time race WTF. I thought such shit ended with retarded excavator level, is there moar such kind of bullshit in Riddlers sub-quest?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm ready to burn my channel down over this, lol. First time I'm content about my videos being disliked.

batman.jpg

For some reason, my subscribers only started commenting after I criticized their slutty Catwoman.

cat.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
Tried Arkham Knight again. I like the encounters even less than City's retarded systems. Too many huge enemies, electrical enemies and their medics get tiresome and the environmental takedowns don't work half the time. Main problem with the combat in Arkham Knight is that it is iteration on something that didn't have much depth to begin with.

Vibalist

Arcane
Maybe if your videos contained actual analysis instead of just being 5 minutes of silent gameplay with clickbait titles people would like them better?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Have thought about making a long video combining all my complaints, but I don't like the sound of my own voice. Did it only once before. Anyway, at first I was just making the point that even someone who understands the mechanics finds them shallow. Didn't need more explanation. But they can ask.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought this in a sale years ago. Waited till it was playable. Started playing 'cause I heard about Kevin Conroy. Think I have a case for the game causing mental abuse. Specifically the Riddler batmobile race courses.

I go right the way back to Wipeout on the playstation in 1995. I remember that game because it had the Babylon Zoon soundtrack "Spaceman". I was good at that game, and I still managed to get through all the Riddler challenges with 3 stars. But by fuck was it annoying. They obviously outsoured this part of the game to Mexicans, and they just badly copied an anti-grav racing game like Wipeout.

On keyboard and mouse, it's actually abuse. Camera is fucked, controls, physics, and deliberate spitefullness by developers. On the final course there's a lamp-post that got me every time. Indestructable lamp post that you hit if you were going too fast. Then this team of retards decided to make it instant death for not playing the races like the devlopers wanted.

Who decided this? What retard thought this was a good idea? With all the data they're collecting I bet there isn't a single player on the planet that managed these courses without dying. So the whole philosopthy of "Be the Batman" makes Batman and the player look like a fucking clown.

All they had to do was say the Riddler hack the VR/AR of Batman, and challenged him to these courses there. Then each time Batman "died" it would have been a humiliation that he lived through. That's what the Riddler wants, to prove he can kill the batman at any time with stupid fucking riddles. Then say he'd kill Catwoman if Batman didn't play the AR challenges.

THen they restrict the ending to the game unless you get hundreds of trophies. I think you even need them for the Joker ending/battle. Fuck this. WB deserves to go down in flames.

Vibalist

Arcane
Riddler is easily the worst aspect of all these games. The obnoxious trophy collection bullshit is truly taken out of the Ubisoft playbook, and is probably only there to add 5-10 extra hours to the total playtime. Nothing of value would've been lost by removing it. In fact, it probably stood in the way of designing a Riddler sidequest that was actually interesting.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked it in the first game. Felt like a reward for getting new equipment. But after that, it's major padding since it's open world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom