Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
X-com for example rigged the RNG in favor of the player.
You mean 2012 title XCOM.
UFO: Enemy Unknown has even more wide variation in dice results than BB, but on the other hand losses are way easier to replace.

TBH that is the bigger problem than RNG.
That discord between:
>suppose to play ironeme and lose troops
and
>losses hard to replace even if you have cash and spare equipment
You could beat UFO with starting equipment and rookies if you have skill and explosives.
Here not so much.

Jinn

Arcane
Which is exactly why I find this game to be much more fun not playing Ironman. Just reloads on party wipes or game-enders.

Seriously hardly ever get to see some of the best (mid-game) content on Ironman because you're too busy losing brothers, buying more, and falling into an endless cycle of catch-up.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
What, in fact, would be the KODEX KONSENSUS on best Viper build?
http://www.bbplanner.xyz/?perks=hkAQBAim&stats=001041102040105066059020003&stars=12002200

Is what I have now.

It's basically an early/mid game tempo build that like can carry you alone for the first 40 days and then he gets relegated to like knight shanker position.

Biggest mistakes I'm feeling right now is lack of underdog, it kinda cripples his usability in hard midgame to proper late game encounters. You are extremely vulnerable to surround and getting killed if you want to truly make use of his point streak and keep advancing.

Overwhelm is mandatory I think due to how strong it is in arena and for getting the named barbarian cleaver as soon as possible so that your main carry position can transition from Viper to Lion.

Nimble is a tempo perk and I think worth it but you just lose frontline capability lategame.

In my next run(or if I get oblivion pot lmao) I will do this build. I think it has the potential to be overall the strongest and most balanced Viper build.

http://www.bbplanner.xyz/?perks=hgAQBgqi&stats=001041102040105066059020003&stars=12002200

Giving up dodge for underdog is better in the vast majority of situations that matter since in low enemy number situations you are unhitable through overwhelm anyhow.

So the only question is duelist vs polearm mastery. Duelist technically makes non dagger weapons usable without mastery for stuff like cleavers vs ud but I think it still ends up being worse than polearm mastery due to potential for reaping like ten millions times per turn, not to mention that the fatigue economy on duelist non mastery weapons is kinda yikes.

Also given that you are not running battle forged and you only have 12 people in your company you are I think better off in the backline in high number fights where you have no priority shank targets.

I would maybe consider duelist to have higher prio against polearm mastery if you get your hands on some extremely good named qatal early on but even then it's like more limiting than going polearm.

Last edited:

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
levelling up both melee and ranged defence every level for some serious Matrix dodging, and hell, I'm even thinking about Lone Wolf and Footwork so he runs bravely through enemy lines for that necromancer.
also pls never do this, it literally hurt to read

Geckabor

Savant
What is the consensus on steel brow?

Also, how often or when do people level up resolve on their bros? I feel like it might be an underused stat, especially due to the fact that the difference between having a confident bro and a wavering one is a difference of 20% to most combat stats.

Murk

Arcane

Also, how often or when do people level up resolve on their bros? I feel like it might be an underused stat, especially due to the fact that the difference between having a confident bro and a wavering one is a difference of 20% to most combat stats.

I never take steel brow, but will periodically take resolve when it's a high roll and my other preferred stats (attack/fatigue/melee defense) are low rolls; or if I got a very good deserter for example.

Rieser

Scholar

Steel brow isn't need to have, but is nice to have on designated tanks. As for resolve I tend to do like Murk (though I never recruit deserters, specifically because of their cowardice).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Backstabber is still a must unless you for some reason want to lonewolf him. Hell, you cant really go wrong with backstabber on anyone who does melee.

It's a 100% wasted perk on a bro with 95 melee attack. It's a skill for bros with low melee attack on early game. Recover, relenteless and even quick hands are far better perks for viper.

Only build that I usually use backstabber in late game is my sergeant because I spend more points in fatigue, resolve and ranged defense/hp so he gets lowish Matk, and only because there's room for that since it's not a very tight build. Sometimes I use it on hybrid backliners aswell because the points on them are spread thinner.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Seriously hardly ever get to see some of the best (mid-game) content on Ironman because you're too busy losing brothers
When the game first came out I ran expert ironman with a shield wall troop, like the whole frontline was a shieldwall. It works really well, barely any losses. Any weapon. You can lift any cripple to level 10 eez.
The problem appears in endgame, when you literally dont do enough damage... and rebuilding that thing into a 2h army is tough.

vazha

Arcane
Backstabber is still a must unless you for some reason want to lonewolf him. Hell, you cant really go wrong with backstabber on anyone who does melee.

It's a 100% wasted perk on a bro with 95 melee attack. It's a skill for bros with low melee attack on early game. Recover, relenteless and even quick hands are far better perks for viper.
Plain wrong, good sir and here's why.

First of all, you arent going to have mass 95 melee attack bros unless you severely neglect some other important attribute, esp on ironman. With a mass two-hander tin can army, you can do just fine with 85 ish melee attack & backstabber and pump spare points into m def or fatique. This allows most of my late game meleers to have over 45 m def - I dont remember when was the last time anyone died in close combat. And hitting aint a problem either.

Second, you dont take into consideration that the enemy also has skills & cause you injuries & use the terrain to make your m attack plummet. Overwhelm being just one example. It's in these situations that backstabber shines. Esp good on backline polearm users, when you absolutely need that reap to hit and roll heads.

And third, if you play ironman, that midgame backstabber makes things so much easier when most of your bros have middling melee attack, but good potential to become demigod tier smashingtons.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Dodge Berserk, Nimble, Dagger Mastery are surely a given, but I've been experimenting for the rest. With the current run, mr Viper is levelling up both melee and ranged defence every level for some serious Matrix dodging, and hell, I'm even thinking about Lone Wolf and Footwork so he runs bravely through enemy lines for that necromancer.

Also is every single map going to have the 3 Southern cities really far apart, or what

He already has way too high melee defense with dodge + relentless, so I don't think footwork is all that necessary. Lone wolf is also kinda wasted on him, especially because you wanna keep close to your bros to take advantage of the debuffs with deathblow.

Overwhelm is definitely a good perk for him because he can hit 3 times in a single turn(more with berserk). Duelist is also a must I guess.

Here's my build currently

20200821065217-1.jpg

Should probably have picked colossus or killing frenzy instead of quick hands but oh well. And I embraced his squishiness and picked underdog. He's not going to have high hp anyway and can't wear heavy armor, so let's increase that melee defense even more.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Plain wrong, good sir and here's why.

First of all, you arent going to have mass 95 melee attack bros unless you severely neglect some other important attribute, esp on ironman. With a mass two-hander tin can army, you can do just fine with 85 ish melee attack & backstabber and pump spare points into m def or fatique. This allows most of my late game meleers to have over 45 m def - I dont remember when was the last time anyone died in close combat. And hitting aint a problem either.

Second, you dont take into consideration that the enemy also has skills & cause you injuries & use the terrain to make your m attack plummet. Overwhelm being just one example. It's in these situations that backstabber shines. Esp good on backline polearm users, when you absolutely need that reap to hit and roll heads.

And third, if you play ironman, that midgame backstabber makes things so much easier when most of your bros have middling melee attack, but good potential to become demigod tier smashingtons.

I was talking about viper. It's a wasted perk on him, especially because his build is tight as fuck. Picking backstabber instead of recover or relentless is stupid. Might as well just drop dodge as it'll be almost useless anyway.

Still, I rarely use it on my bros. Like I said, only my sergeant and sometimes hybrid backliners get it. Many way more useful perks out there.

vazha

Arcane
Ah I see. Then yes, I'd not take backstabber on Viper or any swordmastery & underdoggy build.

I think our tactical playstyles are very different, but it might well be that both are effective.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Ah I see. Then yes, I'd not take backstabber on Viper or any swordmastery & underdoggy build.

I think our tactical playstyles are very different, but it might well be that both are effective.

Also a perk that was not talked about is fast adaptation. It's been buffed I think?(it's 10% now) and viper can hit 3 times in a row. That's 30% higher hit chance in a single turn if you manage to miss all attacks, and you're going first on next turn with him, so definitely a perk to consider.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
By the way, if anyone wants a good seed with 2 interconnected by sea southern cities plus 3 southernmost north cities: RDCBJGVXAW

It's a great seed for gladiators since you'll be sticking with only the three starting bros and maybe one or two other bros for most of early game and maybe some of mid game(I do that atleast), so sailing between those cities is dirt cheap.

Rieser

Scholar

Dodge Berserk, Nimble, Dagger Mastery are surely a given, but I've been experimenting for the rest. With the current run, mr Viper is levelling up both melee and ranged defence every level for some serious Matrix dodging, and hell, I'm even thinking about Lone Wolf and Footwork so he runs bravely through enemy lines for that necromancer.

Also is every single map going to have the 3 Southern cities really far apart, or what

I use the Lion as a dagger dude instead. Given Viper's high initiative and his unique trait I prefer to use him as 2h with the swordlance, which utilizes the incredible Reap-ability. Traits in my current build; Colossus, Executioner, Dodge, Polearm mastery, Nimble, Berserk, Killing Frenzy, Pathfinder, Relentless and Recover. In that order, mostly. Pumping melee attack and initiative primarily, third level alternating between fatigue and hit points (mostly hit points). He's easily the company's most deadly bro.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Dang, stackable 20 bleed for 2 turns is ...corporeal. 3 tiles range on whips too...
Which enemy has tons of HP but not much armor? Something like a single 2h hammer hit and 3 bros whip em dead!
UIBINUq.png

edit

Is it me or is the upkeep higher in DLC3 than DLC1, cause I have 12 hands on day 7 and 110 upkeep already...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom