Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Harthwain

Magister
I wish they made another game using the same systems, but with a hand-crafted world map and encounters/dungeons, no enemies spawning out of thin air or because you got a contract, no settlements that are under siege by bandits and monsters 24/7 because the player needs something to do.
I don't think hand-crafting everything is a solution. Turning the world a proper simulation could be.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't think hand-crafting everything is a solution. Turning the world a proper simulation could be.

A little simulation for some random encounters (you don't want the AI turns to be as long as in Nu-Civ games) and a lot of handcrafting with a responsive world that actually changes depending on your actions and the AI actions too.
The ability to help building a kingdom (nothing too fancy, just new buildings in villages/cities depending on trade and wealth) and really conquer others.
And if it turned into a RPG with something close to Dark Sun/Prelude to Darkness/Fallout/Arcanum quest design or something close to it, i wouldn't complain but something a little more simplistic would do.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I wish they made another game using the same systems, but with a hand-crafted world map and encounters/dungeons, no enemies spawning out of thin air or because you got a contract, no settlements that are under siege by bandits and monsters 24/7 because the player needs something to do.
Exactly this. More off a living world where things go on their own. Think Space Rangers 2 or something similar (but better of curse). Nothing should happen out of thin air only because the player's company need to do something but the other way around: simulated things happen (like wars, trade conflicts, whatever...) and company only takes part of something that is already happening. In Space Rangers 2 (with all its flaws) there are for example star systems changing hands due to simulated wars, spaces races having active relations etc. At least iirc, if not then it should be like this.
I don't want hand-crafted stuff - or rather majority of the game to be handcrafted. There are already a few things that are handcrafted in BB and nothing prevents having some. Many RLs do it this way. Certainly a game with BB's tactical combat and classic CRPG mostly handcrafted content could be good. But that would be just some CRPG with (very) good combat. But it wouldn't be Battle Brothers any more. Let classic CRPGs be classic CRPGs and their authors are welcome to take notes from BB's combat system. In fact they are encouraged. But let Battle Brothers be what it was meant to be.

oasis789

Arcane
Exactly this. More off a living world where things go on their own. Think Space Rangers 2 or something similar (but better of curse). Nothing should happen out of thin air only because the player's company need to do something but the other way around: simulated things happen (like wars, trade conflicts, whatever...) and company only takes part of something that is already happening. In Space Rangers 2 (with all its flaws) there are for example star systems changing hands due to simulated wars, spaces races having active relations etc. At least iirc, if not then it should be like this.
Have you tried the World Economy option in Legends?

copebot

Learned

Yes, absolutely. This also would help with the whole scaling issue. This is something Bannerlord is OK at but it also displays some of the difficulties involved in making an interesting political / economic simulation.

Lios

Cipher
Yes, self-imposed ironman battlebros scenario is perfectly viable- you just have to accept that you will have to make do with whatever bros you find in various cities.
The game then, is about convincing farmers and fishermen and priests and shit, to become killing machines for the greater good of "god" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Uy1YhBsvs
You play till 1 crisis, maybe try 2, that's it.
Stop minmaxing for the shake of minmaxing. Just buy a bunch of assholes and try to shape them into heroes.

This is what Battle Brothers is about

Battle Bros is an amazing game.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Been playing it on Switch. Playing on the computer is much much more enjoyable due to ease of control, but the port is decent and the lag ain't bad except when you zoom out too much on the overall map, and it becomes impossible to control or see anything accurately. The developers promise to fix what they can over the next month, and I think it's a good buy for those who must play it in bed or want to support the developers.

Old Hans

Arcane
Yes, self-imposed ironman battlebros scenario is perfectly viable

self imposed ironman is living a lie. Every victory would ring hollow and the little voice in your head wont stop saying "you are a disgrace to the real ironmen of legend"

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Changing subject from the boring iron man. For the first time i have a holy war. Holy shit! I once before fought assassins, but they were only 2 with some large but lame nomad group. Annoying but not too dangerous. Now I've met them grouped with hand cannone users and it sucks (in a good way i guess). I was SO close to losing two brothers. They chew through my 300+ armour in no time. Not that i'm complaining, it's just that i find it surprising that 30+ orcs, warriors + berserkers + youngs + a warlord is less of a threat than 3 assassins + 2 or 3 gunmen + ~10 conscripts. Granted, fighting orks is helped by the fact that one dog can tank a warlord for several turns (true story) and the warlord can be dealt in various other ways as well. The orc young and berserker starts to panic once they see a little blood. Warriors are tough in defence but aren't very accurate, they aren't hard to tank until you kill or rout berserkers/youngs. Assassins (+gunmen) on the other hand...

On a different note a small "bug". Other have probably noticed it. Dogs when unleashed attack with a passion... the mortar ignoring fleeing enemies. They think it's a bone or what?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Been playing it on Switch. Playing on the computer is much much more enjoyable due to ease of control, but the port is decent and the lag ain't bad except when you zoom out too much on the overall map, and it becomes impossible to control or see anything accurately. The developers promise to fix what they can over the next month, and I think it's a good buy for those who must play it in bed or want to support the developers.

It's playable but I was expecting a better port. Lots of annoying issues. The most critical I've found so far is the overworld pathfinding. Sometimes the party goes to the opposite direction of your destination when it's closer to the water and gets stuck in there. That happens with the NPCs aswell(once I found 3 city state militias stuck in the water close to the city).

The crashes stopped for me but I've experienced a lot of them in the first hour. They should try to do something about it too because it leaves a really bad first impression.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
>restarting old campaign
>who are all these people?
>get into fight
>get some dudes killed
>lost will to play
>no will enough to start new one
Such is life

Takamori

Learned
Any word on new dlc plans? Or have the devs moved on?
Probably on hold since they ported to Switch recently and have to offer proper support to not get fucked in the ass by Nintendo.

About to do my first Orc Warlord Orc Crisis Contract, first campaign at Iron Man that managed to reach so far. Hope my bros are good enough to deal with that.

Kaivokz

Arcane
About to do my first Orc Warlord Orc Crisis Contract, first campaign at Iron Man that managed to reach so far. Hope my bros are good enough to deal with that.
Not sure how many orc warriors you've fought before, but:
Be careful of your back line, orc warriors will double push to get to vulnerable targets.
Bring hammers if you can. 2h swords and maces are also good.
Duelist with hammer or mace can break even orc warlords through HP damage.
Bring extra shields on tanks if you can and bring high durability shields. Warlords never come with shields and have an axe w/ axe mastery 75% of the time, so they can tear through your shield bros easily if they don't have a backup.

My best strategy has been to focus down the warlord rather than trying to tank him like you might other dangerous targets (bandits, unholds, etc.). He's not that tough compared to a warrior; a few good hits from a 2h or an armor ignore duelist will have him wounded and soon dead so you can break the morale of the rest of the camp at your leisure. edit- Oh, and bringing 2h'ers with swift hands... nothing better than luring an orc warrior into a charge that leaves him surrounded by 5 bros, all of whom can swap to a 2h hammer or mace...

Takamori

Learned
Be careful of your back line, orc warriors will double push to get to vulnerable targets.
Bring extra shields on tanks if you can and bring high durability shields. Warlords never come with shields and have an axe w/ axe mastery 75% of the time, so they can tear through your shield bros easily if they don't have a backup.

My best strategy has been to focus down the warlord rather than trying to tank him like you might other dangerous targets (bandits, unholds, etc.). He's not that tough compared to a warrior; a few good hits from a 2h or an armor ignore duelist will have him wounded and soon dead so you can break the morale of the rest of the camp at your leisure. edit- Oh, and bringing 2h'ers with swift hands... nothing better than luring an orc warrior into a charge that leaves him surrounded by 5 bros, all of whom can swap to a 2h hammer or mace...

My company did it! We killed the Warboss with 2 casualities.
Then when I went to pick my reward, I got ambushed by 10 fucking Barbarian Chosen, killed 5 and only five survived. Decided to retire and start a lone wolf campaign

At least got a good end for my few soldiers
385A10AA4BBF4FC269264EDAA45521EA109DE0BB

Serus

Arcane
Patron
That's it! The third fatso lost weigh! All three are alive but they are all non-fat now. Time to retire this company. I'm at the third crisis and my core bros are at level 15-17, day is over 200, all my heavy bros are equipped with famed armour and helms, two great shields too, not many good weapons but there are a few. Everyone deserve a rest and retirement in a town with good tavern and a barber. We'll drink for the ones who gave their lives for the company. Mostly very early game against thugs/brigands/nomads and similar scum. There is one however who has well over 100 days/battles/kills "crushed by a lindwurm" (how the hell that happened?) and someone "cleaved by necrosavant" (those can be very dangerous combined with other undead). And one poor soul with one day, one battle, zero kills who "bled to death". We'll drink for him too if anyone remembers his name! Shame that the ones that were dismissed with more than one day of service aren't listed.

This start/map is very nice, good for a timed run - you play until the three fatsos are dead (like gladiator start) OR they all lose weight. Map, as i wrote earlier, is also quite interesting. Time to start a new, probably last campaign for now. This time expert (ironman). Possibly veteran economy. I'm just not sure what start to take. I am tempted by the militia one but i fear it will get to tedious to play those small no-risk battles. I'd try gladiators but i don't like the idea of not having reserve bros. If someone plays non-ironman sure but otherwise? On the other hand three gladiator's abilities seems to be interesting. Any ideas? Which other starts codexers found fun?

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Any single and armed opponent is easy to tank. Whip for one. Orcs, including a warlord have mediocre aim, that gives options too. As to shields, you can pack reserve shields, even a warlord needs (i think, haven't tested it) 3 turns to destroy a single sipar shield. Pack a backup and you will have enough time. On the other hand your option of killing him first must work too - obviously. I just prefer to deal/ignore him and the warriors until i dispose or panic of berserkers and most youngs. Orcs aren't complicated, just big and stupid (and warriors are well armoured). Assassins + gunners on the other hand...
That gave me an idea. Are living-tree shield regenerating when IN your bags? If so you could tank indefinitely (not counting fatigue) if you have shield mastery. Basically you'd regenerate 40 points of durability each turn, with shield mastery that's effectively 80 - swapping the two shields all the time. That's more than any axe can damage in one turn even with axe mastery.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My company did it! We killed the Warboss with 2 casualities.
Then when I went to pick my reward, I got ambushed by 10 fucking Barbarian Chosen, killed 5 and only five survived. Decided to retire and start a lone wolf campaign

At least got a good end for my few soldiers
385A10AA4BBF4FC269264EDAA45521EA109DE0BB

It looks extremely wide, you're probably using a weird resolution.
Or you just wanted them to look like dwarves.

Do you guys think the developers intentionally made the RNG (especially on harder difficulties) unfair, in order to prolong game longevity? If RNG was fair, there would be decent ways to manage risk, and it wouldn't take that long to beat the game on hardest difficulty and do everything, but the way it is, seems like Expert Ironman runs always end with some bullshit, and even though that initially pisses players off, many tend to come back and play for thousands of hours (kinda like desperate gamblers).

Harthwain

Magister
Do you guys think the developers intentionally made the RNG (especially on harder difficulties) unfair, in order to prolong game longevity?
Ah, the timeless question. One I have seen in any game featuring the RNG. Literally. Any. Game. The answer remains always the same: no. Entropy doesn't scale to your level. There is no secret conspiracy to make players suck. Git gud. No pressure.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I think they made it intentionally possible to lose veterans, but I haven’t had games completely end due to RNG except very early on—I think that’s the point; you have to shift your mindset away from perfect victories and accept losses sometimes. I have restarted games because I felt it would be too monotonous to rebuild my company after a hard loss (4-5 bros left and no reserves), but that had happened less as I learned more about the game.

I think that’s why lone wolf iron man is 3 skull difficulty when some people think it’s an easier background; having no bros to rotate, no ability to build up reserves, means losing 2-3 or more veterans in a series of bad luck is much more impactful and maybe game ending, or at least player-morale-breaking.

Now that I’ve played quite a bit of expert ironman, I can confidently say that Battle Brothers is way harder if you try to approach it like a normal tactics game—you really need to play the strategic layer correctly and pick proper fights; if you are careful you should never be in a battle where losing 2-3 bros to RNG means complete defeat.

So, I think it was intentional to make losing bros somewhat likely even with good playing, but not to make runs completely end—and that serves at least two purposes: it makes the world feel realistic and it plays to the recruitment gambling mini-game. When you get a high quality recruit you want to protect him at all costs until he reaches his potential, and you want to have a few of these building up in case you lose an important bro.

edit- I also think that design is what makes battle bros so successful. Your bros are your most important resource to manage—if you can trade a refugee for a suit for chain mail on day 2, that’s a win. If you can trade a leveled up but middling bro for a famed weapon on day 20, that’s a win. Etc. It’s all about knowing when to accept losses, what good trades are, knowing who you will likely lose and for what gain, etc. I spend probably half my game time on the overworld map thinking about who to fight and where to go, at least for the first 100 days, and I think that is why I haven’t lost an expert ironman run since my first few attempts (mostly due to lack of knowledge about enemies).

Last edited:
I don't need to git gud, I beat Veteran/Ironman after like 70 hours, got some deep Expert/Ironman runs at less than 100 hours, but it's quite likely there is some weird RNG stuff happening. For example, enemy types vary tremendously in terms of stats/danger. I constantly kept running into same enemies during my runs that generally should not have been an issue for my party at the time, but in some cases, they would just rip through stuff in ways that did not seem feasible with regular RNG.

Takamori

Learned
It looks extremely wide, you're probably using a weird resolution.
Or you just wanted them to look like dwarves.
Its all normal here 1920x1080 resolution.

As for Lone Wolf BG I think its meant to be a meatgrinder where you are forced to pick recruits really carefully and in case you manage to have bad luck and running low on funds to shape up then to at least endure a series of missions until you have enough funds for another round of recruitment.

Harthwain

Magister
I constantly kept running into same enemies during my runs that generally should not have been an issue for my party at the time, but in some cases, they would just rip through stuff in ways that did not seem feasible with regular RNG.
You mean that the Random Number Generator generates random numbers, and in some cases these numbers are streaks - instead of "regular RNG" - that happen screw you? Been there, seen that. Throw a coin and you will get patterns, including streaks. It's not necessarily the streaks that kill you though: it could be the sequence of events.

In Blood Bowl you can get 1 a few times in a row, but usually you will get 1 two times (when trying to dodge out, for example), and then you will roll something like 5 and 6, meaning you will break your own armor and your turn ends. Then the opponents acts, decides to hit one of your players and rolls a hit, then YOU roll high, meaning the opponents breaks the armor of yet another guy and injures him. You are two players down, so you will get less opportunities and more difficulties (less assists, less chances to hit, etc.) and it will all go downhill from there. As you can see, you don't need to rolls terribly all the time to get really screwed.

After the game you can go to the match results and you will see that all rolls will be even (or even-ish), meaning you aren't as statistically unlucky as you think you are.

You could say "But, Harthwain, you are talking about Blood Bowl! This is BATTLE BROTHERS!" (insert "This is SPARTA!" tone when reading it). Yes, indeed, but the underlying mechanic remains the same.

Here you have answer from one of the developers, Rap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom