Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Tried the game and it seems as RNG-swingy as Wesnoth. Why do people make 'tactics' games like this? Eador's low level of outcome variance was absolutely fine. Glad I didn't buy this.

It's not as RNG-heavy as Wesnoth.
It is at first but soon, you'll have 95% chances to hit most enemies.
It's way harder than Wesnoth though.

First time I played BB, i uninstalled it after an hour or two. mosly because of the high risk / low reward early missions and the intro battle where I couldn't save my bros.

But eventually, re-visiting it later, it's good
You only have to learn to build your bros and stop picking fights you can't win the hard way and eventually outgrow everything the game throws at you and/or you use some tactics to spare your best bros.
It's grindy but if you have a couple of hundreds of hours to waste, this is it.

And there's a huge amount of great mods making the game way better.

You should also try Warbanners, it's closer to Wesnoth and of course Fantasy General which inspired them both.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Tried the game and it seems as RNG-swingy as Wesnoth. Why do people make 'tactics' games like this? Eador's low level of outcome variance was absolutely fine. Glad I didn't buy this.

It's not as RNG-heavy as Wesnoth.
It is at first but soon, you'll have 95% chances to hit most enemies.
It's way harder than Wesnoth though.

First time I played BB, i uninstalled it after an hour or two. mosly because of the high risk / low reward early missions and the intro battle where I couldn't save my bros.

But eventually, re-visiting it later, it's good
You only have to learn to build your bros and stop picking fights you can't win the hard way and eventually outgrow everything the game throws at you and/or you use some tactics to spare your best bros.
It's grindy but if you have a couple of hundreds of hours to waste, this is it.

And there's a huge amount of great mods making the game way better.

You should also try Warbanners, it's closer to Wesnoth and of course Fantasy General which inspired them both.
After writing my initial butthurt post I of course went back and obsessively played the game for several more hours, and realised you're correct. :incline:

Covenant

Savant
Plus I think RNG regarding the map, and the quality of your initial/available recruits, has an excessively large impact early in the game. Things smooth out more and more the later you go, and by the time you're past your first crisis and you're hunting legendaries, most of your losses are going to be because of mistakes you've made.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Plus I think RNG regarding the map, and the quality of your initial/available recruits, has an excessively large impact early in the game. Things smooth out more and more the later you go, and by the time you're past your first crisis and you're hunting legendaries, most of your losses are going to be because of mistakes you've made.
Or sudden doomstack of Lindwurms in forest.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My current setup is spear/flail+shield frontline (with 1 pikeman) and the backline is mostly reach weapons, only recently sorted out a second rangedweapon guy because i noticed his ranged skill was good.
Is it worth doing something like 12 archers, who only switch to melee once melee happens?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My current setup is spear/flail+shield frontline (with 1 pikeman) and the backline is mostly reach weapons, only recently sorted out a second rangedweapon guy because i noticed his ranged skill was good.
Is it worth doing something like 12 archers, who only switch to melee once melee happens?

Setup changes a lot with increase in levels and coin. At the start archers are great all-purpose and shields are necessary for survival, while two-handers are suicide - later on shields become actively poor, archers become very use-specific and two-handers become crucial. Most if not all of your starting guys will be leaving your team in the long run to make way for stronger Origins.

So the short answer is no, but the longer answer is that you can do basically anything in battle brothers if you’re good enough, especially later game, and that team setup depends alot on what you’re fighting - you go to and goblin villige and you better pack a lot of ranged ammo.

Shaki

Arbiter
At the start archers are great all-purpose and shields are necessary for survival, while two-handers are suicide

Not necessarily true, advanced tactic for runs is to only protect really good bros, but go full aggro on shitters early, take hard fights and rush nobles to get ahead of the curve and snowball heavily. It's 50/50 on whether you snowball or just get fucked and your run is over, but potential rewards are big, it's quick and more fun than slowly grinding through easy fights with the usual shields + spears/swords/flails setup, and only switching to aggro duelist/2h in late game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
advanced math. 2h = 1 attack, 1h = 2 attacks. with early game m.atk 2 chances to hit that barn wall are better than 1.

k0syak

Cipher
advanced math. 2h = 1 attack, 1h = 2 attacks. with early game m.atk 2 chances to hit that barn wall are better than 1.
Yeah, early game spears and swords are good for the to hit bonus and do decent damage double-gripped.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From discord:
  1. Hi everyone! We are Frederic and Andi, and today we have a announcement to make regarding a new venture into the world of Battle Brothers. You may remember that some time ago Overhype Studios asked for alpha testers regarding a secret project related to Battle Brothers – well, this is it: we’re working on a tactical board game set in the world of the game!

c6897b9fb177362ac771.svg

2. [3:50 PM]
    The third round of alpha testing will begin in the coming few weeks, and we’re currently in search of active and motivated playtesters to help us. We’re looking specifically for people who have previous experience with complex board games since there is a level of detail and complexity within it that may not appeal to the casual board gamer. In order to participate, users will need the software “Tabletop Simulator” which is available for purchase on Steam (incidentally, it’s also a really good piece of software to play a wide range of board games as I'm sure many of you board gamers would already know!)

3. [3:50 PM]
    Another prerequisite is signing a confirmation about confidentiality and the intellectual property rights in regards to this project. We want to ensure we create the best possible game, but also would not like to spoil what’s in store for those who don't get into the playtest or just want the final product. Lastly, playtesters should be more or less fluent in English unless they have a partner to test with who speaks the same language.Ideally, we’re looking for testers who are motivated to actively arrange dates and regularly meet up online with other testers and then provide constructive feedback and information in a dedicated Discord channel we’ll have set up specifically for this.While Overhype Studios is not directly involved in its design and development, we have more than their blessing – the team is advising us to make sure we stay loyal not just to the setting, but to the spirit of the gameplay of Battle Brothers. If you have any interest, or questions, please write directly to me over in Discord. Cheers!

agris

Arcane
Patron
They would rather develop a board game than work on the advanced technology of “walls” and “doors” in the BB engine

:despair:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why not just work on Battle Brothers itself?

boardgame is a BIG money maker

while video games crowdfunding has pretty much died out except some major projects from known personalities, you can see boardgame Kickstarter making fat bucks still today

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom