Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Modron

Arcane
Looks like you don't need to restart to see the legendaries, as long as you're on the beta branch. One guy from Steam has found one, and it looks worthy of the name.
You get that one for clearing the Black Monolith which had in my case 47 defenders, 10 of those necrowhatever vampires, 3 ancient priests, several honor guards and the rest ancient legionaries. Since that is one of the more fixed pieces of loot I do still wonder if you can get anymore legendaries without starting a new game if you had previously began your campaign during the previous beta releases.

Visperas

Augur
Reinhardt, in a previous pic you had 12k gold on day 40? How did you do that? Is that in Veteran?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Weird. I reach certain points at my session where I just click retire to see what I'd get.
The first 14 days - beggar screen <50 pts
15 - 30 - tavern screen 225 pts
31-40 - dead men on the field 195 pts

What I wanna know is, what actually determines the points? I thought I did quite well taking my company to 'Famed' and having 5000 in gold reserves. But it turns out I was rated higher when we were barely past 2000 gold and rated Professional.

Also - the game should really tell you what kind of terrain is to be expected from the engagement - so I can actually prep my loadout and decide whether to engage or not.
There's nothing more frustrating than going into a swamp and everyone is kitted mostly in melee gear.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Is there a worse feeling in this game then fighting 15 Goblins, 7 of which are Goblins Ambushers, and at the very beginning of the fight, hearing that stretching bow sound 7 times in a row (aimed shot), all before you can do anything? I thought bandits in a forest were bad... man, they got nothing on goblin ambushers.

Sure they don't kill anyone... usually, on the first round, but the poison damage is rough. The initiative loss along with the AP loss is huge, taking 20 health damage also just seems like overkill. Plus they are actually pretty decent in melee too.

I want to be able to poison my weapons!

Thankfully, my Flail experts can sometimes one shot them, when the head shot attack actually hits.

So Orcs give me almost no trouble at all in this game, not even the Berzerkers. I take injuries just cause they hit so damn hard, and once in a blue moon, a death, but I've also had fights where it's not even close.

Wait... no I did have one pretty tough fight where every single initial charge hit, and my entire front line was wounded and stunned. EVERYONE. That was rough.

Bandits in a forest are pretty bad, but I like the flavor of that fight, feels like I'm killing that scumbag, Robin Hood. Those marksman are stupid good still.

Direwolves, not too bad if you've got spears. Same with the Ghouls.

Undead are pretty tricky, you really have to manage your fatigue, but you do, and you can maintain your line, you should hold on. That's why Geists as a mechanic are cool, because they can fracture your line. Necrosavants are vicious.

Over 80 hours now, I just love this game, though I want to commit Goblin genocide preeeeetttty bad.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have anyone here fought vampires? Have not seen them yet in the new update.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Have anyone here fought vampires? Have not seen them yet in the new update.
They were replaced by necrosavants.
Reinhardt, in a previous pic you had 12k gold on day 40? How did you do that? Is that in Veteran?
I don't buy upgrades for my men, just hoard money. Maybe i will need them later.

Also don't just sell goods in allied town, wait when it got "ambushed trade roads or something" status - when they low on supplies prices will skyrocket even more.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Man - AGAIN! Goblins are so deadly, even at night, which is where I prefer to fight them. Fighting them at night at least makes their archers SLIGHTLY worse, but this last mission, it didn't matter...

The VERY first round (at night), at max distance, they pin cushion my best bro with the best weapon and best armor. FIRST ROUND! Killed him before I could even raise his shield wall. So sad. The things is, they killed him with poison damage! His armor was almost untouched! While that makes sense, it is still frustrating to lose your most veteran bro, with best armor, kite shield, and great stats, on the FIRST round and there was nothing I could do about it. I know it just happens, that's war and all that, but it was still a bummer.

Fighting goblin ambusher after goblin ambusher, even at night, gets to be very frustrating. Even more so because I selected Undead for my endgame, not greenskin invasion, but the greenskins are having a field day. lol

I gotta take a break. I was working on this company for 3 nights. Whew.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hi!

Just bought the game and have been trying it out for a bit and really like what I see so far. I was wondering however which difficulty that works best.

I like challenge and I'm an OK player but often games are balanced around the middle difficulty (veteran in this case), making higher difficulties mostly a slog...

Which difficulty would you guys recommend? :)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The goblin poisons are too good at delaying. On top of the damage as well that could cause injuries.
Not to mention it is way harder for you to level up a marksman yourself due to the risk of friendly fire when the melee starts - compared to the enemies who just spawns generic ranged units with a pre-set Ranged weapon skill. I tried tagging 'Fast Adaptation' so every miss from Ranged shots add up. 2 Snap Shots miss = +16%
And I'm starting to lean towards the Bow for the added range.

I might just try recruiting more hunters and see if I can play with 4 or more archers in a company deployment instead of the heavy spearwall.

I had a really really horrible battle in snow again.
There' so little space to move.

04.jpg

By the time I tried the bottom path for a flank - the fight is already over.

05.jpg

The two hander didn't even swing once. :negative:
At least one of the peddlers cheered me up afterwards.

06.jpg

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Most successful company I've ever run in 340 hours of playing. Day 45 and I've gotten a few members full lamellar plate etc and only had two casualties the entire game.

I got a pretty great run of mercs admittedly (almost zero negative traits, lots of guys who started out with melee in the mid 50s, starred fatigue etc) but with sensible unit composition (I've experimented around a bit and ultimately decided the backrow shouldn't exceed three, especially with the new surround rules), picking your fights and obeying experience-gained rules of thumb this game can actually become quite easy (until you get complacent and pick on a full stack of necrosavants or some such). Keen for the Noble War to begin, my company feels unstoppable (I often dust off 3 star contract fights without even being hit).

Company morale seems to have ultimately made things somewhat easier than prior versions as outside of the first week or two it's quite trivial to keep everyone euphoric.

FD1CE17C6A1B46EBC013D414007383BB99F64FD8

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Night time snow fight, 1 poacher 1 marksman involved. They put on their night vision goggles and sniped half of my scrub tier party. The horror...

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
same thug with 2handed axe
3 attacks, 3 bodies
what cth do they have? 50%?
(0.5 x 0.25)^3 = 0.00195 or about 0.195 percent...........................
8CLsEHI.png

restarted

Andnjord

Arcane
Doing rather well with my new playthrough so far, day 80, orc invasion has just started and everyone in the frontline is rocking reinforced mail hauberk with two scale armours going around. What REALLY helped me was that I had a settlement with TWO dye factories close to a citadel. While not as lucrative as an allied trading town I could still sell the dyes bought for 380 at 550 there with the noble faction holding it only at 'open' relationship. Not optimal true but good enough to save enough money to buy those 2000 crowns reinforced mail hauberks and 4000 scale armours (so really cheaply) in that other village that had an armoursmith and salt production.

Also I'm quite scared of my starting companion, the useful one who is now lvl11, 90 combat skill, and has raked up more than 150 kills!

Would post pics if I knew how to tell ShareX to stop taking screenshots of my desktop instead of the game. Anyone has any idea on the subject?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Go for expert.
Is this sincere or a joke?

For an absolute beginner, yes, that advice is more of a joke. However, once you know what you're doing I think you should play iron-man style at expert difficulty. Don't use the actual iron-man option, though; it constantly autosaves and slows everything down.

Are the lessons learned at veteran still viable on expert though?

I started at veteran and have had to restart once. At day 16 now and greatly enjoying myself… seem like a great game so far!:)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go for expert.
Is this sincere or a joke?

For an absolute beginner, yes, that advice is more of a joke. However, once you know what you're doing I think you should play iron-man style at expert difficulty. Don't use the actual iron-man option, though; it constantly autosaves and slows everything down.

I started at veteran and have had to restart once. At day 16 now and greatly enjoying myself… seem like a great game so far!:)

Yes, the system is consistent at all difficulty levels. The difference is in the amount of resources and scale of the challenge. That's why I always play on expert; if expert did something like "enemies do 150% damage" or something, then I'd probably just play on the normal difficulty.

Polanski

Scholar
Does anyone have some info on the Nimble perk? How good is it? And for whom does it make sense to take it?

I have a Back-liner with a Longaxe and not too much fatigue, that I am considering it for, since none of the other perks at that level seems to fit him.

LizardWizard

Cipher

Aside from the BS of men leaving with potentially unique equipment I don't find expert much harder than veteran. In fact, it almost feels like you snowball faster into power on expert since raiders show up wearing tier 3 stuff with more regularity.

1eyedking

Erudite
Just came here to post and wish you guys luck with your game, it's looking pretty cool and for once something good is coming out of Codex-posting devs (unlike the teleporting, edgelord shitfest that was Age of Decadence).

And to quote another p. cool game, carry on the glorious struggle.

Kayerts

Arcane
The goblin poisons are too good at delaying. On top of the damage as well that could cause injuries.
Not to mention it is way harder for you to level up a marksman yourself due to the risk of friendly fire when the melee starts - compared to the enemies who just spawns generic ranged units with a pre-set Ranged weapon skill. I tried tagging 'Fast Adaptation' so every miss from Ranged shots add up. 2 Snap Shots miss = +16%
And I'm starting to lean towards the Bow for the added range.

Bowbros and crossbromen work best as hybrids with polearms, for the reason you mention: you don't want them to be worthless once the melee begins. The melee lasts for most of the fight.

Fast adaptation is, as far as I can tell, a pretty bad perk on almost all builds. It decreases in usefulness as your characters get better at hitting things, meaning it scales badly as the game goes on. It also seems like its impact is going to be low: it only affects those cases where you'd normally miss 2+ times in a row but wouldn't with the extra accuracy, which seems like it should happen less than once per average fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom