Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, May 24, 2015.

1. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Roll a 2 for location and it is TAC to the CT. That is in the base rules.

The optional one was to roll a second hit location if you roll a 2, which means possible TAC anywhere.

^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    No. In the real rules, each torso section has a rear component. Even in MW, each torso section has a different rear section.

All 3 suffer from the same thinner armour, but that is more a function of people allocating more armour to the front than to the back as both comes from the same pool of armour points. You CAN, in theory, make a 'mech have a thicker rear armour than the front, and mount all your torso weapons firing into the rear arc.

^ Top  
  3. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    There's also this infamous move:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Nice medium-sized battle - lots of great content on Russian Battletech pages. For some reason Russian players like playing Clan. I wonder why
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    2 words: Alexandre. Kerensky.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    That move is never in any of the rules, by the way. It was made up crap, on par with Aidan Pryde's small laser of doom.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    I come bearing gifts from an alternate timeline.

^ Top  
  8. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Speaking of which, look what I just found:
    [​IMG]

So awesome if you know that scene.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    MegaMek is good, but it doesn't seem to have the flexibility I am looking for. My system has individual profficiency ratings for Laser, SRM, LRM, PPC, Pulse Lasers, Heavy/Light/Ultra Heavy Autocannons, Flak Cannons, Artillery, Gauss Rifle and Small Arms. Also, Piloting and Jumping is divided into 'mech weight categories, Sensors is a separate skill and a special category for profficiency with a particular 'mech (without which you get penalties). There is also a Luck system involved that would allow you to stop insta-Pilot death head shots :D

It was built for a RPG style of game, where you keep your character(s)/pilot(s) for multiple campaigns, not as expendable grunts.

^ Top  
  10. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    ... I was always pretty fond of the Mechwarrior RPG ruleset myself.

^ Top  
  11. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Very nice.

I have always found the strategic overview of that scene to be a bit silly. I mean the Falcons were already retreating and running for their DropShips. Comstar should have called for Hegira and let the Falcons go so that they can concentrate on the other fights still raging.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Too many holes in it. I adapted the White Wolf system into BTech. 5 dots max dovetails nicely into the traditional Piloting and Gunnery ratings of 0 to 4.

^ Top  
  13. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    True, but perhaps Focht had no way to contact the Clan leadership to arrange hegira. His only real Clan leadership contact was Ulric, and even if he could communicate with Ulric it wouldn't have worked since each Clan was leading themselves. And Focht probably wasn't familiar enough with the Clans to know about hegira (although iirc he knew of safecon). I don't recall it being invoked in any engagement in the Clan Invasion. When Stackpole wrote Lost Destiny, there'd been only three books about the Clans.

Also, it's said that Aidan's heroics allowed the Falcons to retreat in an orderly enough fashion to claim the battle a draw. That implies that the Com Guards basically slaughtered most of the other clans as they were retreating, out of ammunition. If they offered hegira, those engagements would have been considered draws.

Tukayyid is one of my favorite sourcebooks ever published for any pnp game.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Wolf's Dragoons should have told them that. I believe that Victor Steiner-Davion used it a bit later at Coventry (3057-ish?). only 5 years difference, give or take.

Hegira isn't a draw. It is an honourable withdrawal, so the other side still lost. It is just that boths sides' honour is intact. It is basically "I know I am going to win. You know I am going to win. But in the process, both of us are going to get mauled, and that is wasteful as all hell. So, let's agree that I won and save resources, which is what the Father wanted us to be doing, so honour to you, too."

^ Top  
  15. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Now you've got me trying to recall what the Dragoon/ Comstar relationship was like, if any.

Now that I'm thinking about it, another reason why the Falcons were able to draw on Tukayyid despite abandoning their objectives was that by the point they started their withdrawal, the Clans had essentially lost the challenge. Kael Pershaw as well as the Falcon leadership already knew that the Jaguars and most of the other Clans present had failed to gain their objectives and were being routed, so the Falcons held on long enough to withdraw without losing honor, since the whole invasion force was already in retreat, and they themselves had also run out of supplies and ammunition. And probably the more strategic Clan heads like Pershaw already knew that even had the fighting gone a lot better, the Clans had underbid disastrously and lost the battle before it even began.

Re: hegira, now I'm thinking that even had ComStar offered hegira, at least the Falcons would never have accepted it. This was the decisive battle. These warriors had trained their whole lives for this one battle. Most of them probably didn't want to withdraw and would have rather died fighting. What do they have to live for?

The only reason that Marthe accepted hegira on Coventry was she needed the warriors to defend the JF Occupation Zone from the Wolves.

^ Top  
  16. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The Dragoon Compromise basically invalidated any hostilities. It was all a matter of survival by then. Although Waterley was still trying on her shit until Focht put one in her head.

^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Spotted in the latest issue of PC Gamer:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Closer look at dialogue sequence:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    That mission looks suspiciously like one of the starter campaign missions in MW4Mercs. The one where you sneak past the turrets and blow up a generator and fight the Black Cobras for the first time.

^ Top  
  19. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Is this still listed for an "early 2018" release? So theoretically in the next 2-3 months....?

^ Top  
  20. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Yep, I guess people will ask again at next week's Q&A, perhaps there will be a hint. So far the average estimate on the BT Forums, based on a carefully weighted blend of pure speculation and the the date of PDXCON.... seems to be mid-April.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Monty Arcane

Monty
    (At least some of the) voice acting finalised

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Black Arcane

Black
    "a main line medium mech that used across known space".
    Did another tranny proofread this?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    "...does not lack in any single area."

Is the moron on drugs? The Shadow Hawk lacks in the most important part of any 'mech: firepower.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. It's the epitome of "jack of all trades and master of none". The Shitty Hawk is a mech that desperately needs customization to be decent.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.