Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Suicidal

Arcane
What I really hate in this game is how story missions are designed around spawning enemy reinforcements behind your units and for some reason the reinforcements get a free turn the moment they are spawned. I use the last available unit in my squad to trigger a story event and a bunch of shit spawns behind me, and before the next round even begins every enemy unit gets a free shot at mine. And then on then next round they get another action before me cause most of my mechs are heavy and slow. Usually this results in me using a unit or two because the enemies get to make like 10 attacks at their rear armor for free.

I'm sorry, game, for not having the power of precognition necessary to avoid shit like that.
It is a sign of how utterly incompetent the devs are when that kind of spawning happens. It is the only way they are able to make the game more difficult for the players. It is especially bad as X-Com did it so much better with far fewer resources 30 years ago.

Interestingly enough in the non-story missions reinforcements don't attack on the turn they appear and can only move around, but only when they are summoned via a dropship (which in non-story missions is 99% of the time). I had one non-story mission where a bunch of enemies just appeared on the map with no warning and could immediately attack me. So the game has a normal non-bullshit reinforcement spawning mechanic but it's tied to them arriving on a dropship for some reason.

Cael

Arcane
What I really hate in this game is how story missions are designed around spawning enemy reinforcements behind your units and for some reason the reinforcements get a free turn the moment they are spawned. I use the last available unit in my squad to trigger a story event and a bunch of shit spawns behind me, and before the next round even begins every enemy unit gets a free shot at mine. And then on then next round they get another action before me cause most of my mechs are heavy and slow. Usually this results in me using a unit or two because the enemies get to make like 10 attacks at their rear armor for free.

I'm sorry, game, for not having the power of precognition necessary to avoid shit like that.
It is a sign of how utterly incompetent the devs are when that kind of spawning happens. It is the only way they are able to make the game more difficult for the players. It is especially bad as X-Com did it so much better with far fewer resources 30 years ago.

Interestingly enough in the non-story missions reinforcements don't attack on the turn they appear and can only move around, but only when they are summoned via a dropship (which in non-story missions is 99% of the time). I had one non-story mission where a bunch of enemies just appeared on the map with no warning and could immediately attack me. So the game has a normal non-bullshit reinforcement spawning mechanic but it's tied to them arriving on a dropship for some reason.
The game has a bug which they never managed to solve before abandoning it: Reinforcements spawned at the start of the battle instead of waiting like they are supposed to. That meant that you ended up being outnumbered 3-to-1 in most cases.

I guess you ran into one of their attempts to fix the problem but with the predictably retarded results.

lightbane

Arcane
Alright, I tried to watch a LP to finish the campaign, but it was bad I eventually gave up. Good Lord, EVERYTHING that can go wrong, goes wrong, not just the writing. The super-duper she-engineer is also hilariously bad, being a combo of being a STEM student (somehow in the far future), going to the Capellan system on the other side of the galaxy (despite not being open to foreigners, at best), is good at engineering after divorcing her first husband, etc. It's such a shameless SJW wet dream that makes no fucking sense in-universe. She's also ugly as sin, but of course.
In fact, all of your crew is quite "diverse", which makes you wonder how the hell does your organization work when no-one has anything in common... And it doesn't. We have an intelligence officer that can't even tell you which enemy mechs you'll face, a mechanic that doesn't give shit about destroying a fucking archeotech cache (which was groan-worthy as said here already), an engineer that almost unleashes a super-virus by accident, etc.
Not sure if it's due poor writing or intentional that your crew is so incompetent. Also, despite being a "new" location to start off fresh, somehow the bull-themed guys are dragged in as enemies (do these guys have enough money to mount an invasion to begin with?).

Then there's princess Kamehameha, who's completely and utterly insufferable. Despite her rants about making things right, she acts in a very authoritarian way you can't ever disagree with, does insane stuff like ordering the destruction of a Jumpship and killing the entire crew (which is a big no in-universe IIRC, I was surprised there were consequences after doing that) and, best of all, proves right the bad guys:
The Espinosa ranted about how she would make Auriga weak by incompetence and misuse of resources, and then, after the war, Auriga DOES end exhausted and weak, for not to mention she owes favors to other Houses that will bleed her dry. Oops.

It seems to be a common occurrence for woke writing to have the paranoid bad guy accidentally be proven right (or even be made sympathetic) due the protagonists' incompetence. Extra points if the main cast used to be better and suffered a personality shift. RWBY for example suffers from both.

So I just read the synopsis and called it a day. I might try the 3050 mod at some point, perhaps. Shame there's no battle-log anywhere, even though one of these three main mods supposedly had it, but I haven't been able to find any video confirming it so.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alright, I tried to watch a LP to finish the campaign, but it was bad I eventually gave up. Good Lord, EVERYTHING that can go wrong, goes wrong, not just the writing. The super-duper she-engineer is also hilariously bad, being a combo of being a STEM student (somehow in the far future), going to the Capellan system on the other side of the galaxy (despite not being open to foreigners, at best), is good at engineering after divorcing her first husband, etc. It's such a shameless SJW wet dream that makes no fucking sense in-universe. She's also ugly as sin, but of course.
In fact, all of your crew is quite "diverse", which makes you wonder how the hell does your organization work when no-one has anything in common... And it doesn't. We have an intelligence officer that can't even tell you which enemy mechs you'll face, a mechanic that doesn't give shit about destroying a fucking archeotech cache (which was groan-worthy as said here already), an engineer that almost unleashes a super-virus by accident, etc.
Not sure if it's due poor writing or intentional that your crew is so incompetent. Also, despite being a "new" location to start off fresh, somehow the bull-themed guys are dragged in as enemies (do these guys have enough money to mount an invasion to begin with?).

Then there's princess Kamehameha, who's completely and utterly insufferable. Despite her rants about making things right, she acts in a very authoritarian way you can't ever disagree with, does insane stuff like ordering the destruction of a Jumpship and killing the entire crew (which is a big no in-universe IIRC, I was surprised there were consequences after doing that) and, best of all, proves right the bad guys:
The Espinosa ranted about how she would make Auriga weak by incompetence and misuse of resources, and then, after the war, Auriga DOES end exhausted and weak, for not to mention she owes favors to other Houses that will bleed her dry. Oops.

It seems to be a common occurrence for woke writing to have the paranoid bad guy accidentally be proven right (or even be made sympathetic) due the protagonists' incompetence. Extra points if the main cast used to be better and suffered a personality shift. RWBY for example suffers from both.

So I just read the synopsis and called it a day. I might try the 3050 mod at some point, perhaps. Shame there's no battle-log anywhere, even though one of these three main mods supposedly had it, but I haven't been able to find any video confirming it so.

You paid attention a LP where they talk to the NPCs in a mech game? :lol:

lightbane

Arcane

I dunno if there's a misunderstanding or you're being dense. Your crewmembers have defined personalities, no matter how bad they are, and they often speak to you, usually after story missions. You also can interact with them yourself between missions, for whatever reason. Even if this is a mecha game, that's not an excuse to have nearly EVERY member of your crew unlikable. And the story missions themselves are not too good due how mediocre-to-bad the game is anyway. Enough about the gameplay's faults has been said already.

I tried looking for a LP that only did the story missions to skip the filler, and the one I found doesn't cover the entire game, derp. It had the aforementioned conversations with NPCs which I glanced at just to see if they get better or worse.

That makes think that even though you're running a mercenary band, you don't seem to get a chance to see your hires anywhere, unlike the NU-XCOM games, nor interact much with them outside of random events.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I dunno if there's a misunderstanding or you're being dense. Your crewmembers have defined personalities, no matter how bad they are, and they often speak to you, usually after story missions. You also can interact with them yourself between missions, for whatever reason. Even if this is a mecha game, that's not an excuse to have nearly EVERY member of your crew unlikable. And the story missions themselves are not too good due how mediocre-to-bad the game is anyway. Enough about the gameplay's faults has been said already.

I tried looking for a LP that only did the story missions to skip the filler, and the one I found doesn't cover the entire game, derp. It had the aforementioned conversations with NPCs which I glanced at just to see if they get better or worse.

That makes think that even though you're running a mercenary band, you don't seem to get a chance to see your hires anywhere, unlike the NU-XCOM games, nor interact much with them outside of random events.

I don't know if there's a misunderstanding or you're being dense, but what sort of genius looks to a strategy game for how well written the characters are or what the story is about?

Cael

Arcane

The entire thing was written under the direction of Kevin. What did you expect? He is a fat, SJW tranny wannabe. He explicitly said he was out to "trigger the "alt-right"".

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

]
lmao i beat the game twice and I can't name a single character outside of dekker and Darius

mediocrepoet

Patron

]
lmao i beat the game twice and I can't name a single character outside of dekker and Darius

As far as I can tell, the story is about you have 4 mechs that land in a corner of the map and you blow shit up until you win.

lightbane

Arcane
I don't know if there's a misunderstanding or you're being dense, but what sort of genius looks to a strategy game for how well written the characters are or what the story is about?
I see, so you're a retard or a contrarian on purpose. Story in a strategy game is optional, but if it's there and it's nice, it's all good. If it's not, it makes things worse. And skipping all text without reading doesn't count. I also was looking at everything else besides the writing, but you clearly didn't notice that part or didn't care.
Or, are you saying the writing of Woketech is the same as say Jagged Alliance 2?

The entire thing was written under the direction of Kevin. What did you expect? He is a fat, SJW tranny wannabe. He explicitly said he was out to "trigger the "alt-right"".

I expected it to not be as bad, perhaps I was being optimistic, but it was not meant to be. The sandbox mode is better because there's less shit writing, of course.

Still, it's kinda curious how woke works invariably end up making the same mistakes, such as proving the bad guy right, over, over and over. It happens in Star Trek Discovery and the Picard show from what I heard as well.
Are SJWs copying each other, or is their subconscious at play?

mediocrepoet

Patron
I see, so you're a retard or a contrarian on purpose. Story in a strategy game is optional, but if it's there and it's nice, it's all good. If it's not, it makes things worse. And skipping all text without reading doesn't count. I also was looking at everything else besides the writing, but you clearly didn't notice that part or didn't care.
Or, are you saying the writing of Woketech is the same as say Jagged Alliance 2?

I'm saying I don't know or care. Clearly we're not playing games for the same reason. I figured that was obvious, even to such an illuminated being as yourself.

Cael

Arcane

I expected it to not be as bad, perhaps I was being optimistic, but it was not meant to be. The sandbox mode is better because there's less shit writing, of course.

Still, it's kinda curious how woke works invariably end up making the same mistakes, such as proving the bad guy right, over, over and over. It happens in Star Trek Discovery and the Picard show from what I heard as well.
Are SJWs copying each other, or is their subconscious at play?
If you believe that woketard cunts will turn out anything that is even remotely worthy of attention, I'd say you are extremely, incredibly and massively optimistic. Especially when the sjw fuck in question explicitly said he was out to trigger people.

As for sandbox, I tried it. You can see the result somewhere in this thread, maybe about 20 pages back. It is still shit because the mechanics is utter dogshit.

Old Hans

Arcane

After playing MechWarrior 5, BattleTech is a masterpiece in storytelling.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Wtf is wrong with the mods for this game?They are 10+GB and require countless amounts of ram.
Even a basic 100 MB mod requires a 9 GB extra download.

Fuck this shit i am sticking to xai 3025,it is small.

Are Roguetech and 3062 worth it for the size?
Or are they kitchen sink mods including countless bullshit?

Cael

Arcane
Wtf is wrong with the mods for this game?They are 10+GB and require countless amounts of ram.
Even a basic 100 MB mod requires a 9 GB extra download.

Fuck this shit i am sticking to xai 3025,it is small.

Are Roguetech and 3062 worth it for the size?
Or are they kitchen sink mods including countless bullshit?
Unity is not good for mods, so I heard.

And playing this game? Seriously?

flyingjohn

Arcane
I know unity is shit.But,first time i have ever seen 10+gb mods and recommendation for 32 gb's of ram for a smooth game experience.

I am always willing to give any franchises i like(and i like battletetch) a hour/two testing.
To my "surprise" the game performance and the game part are not good.
But,the game does seem to have a "decent" modding community. Unfortunately,,multiple GB mods and worse performance do not sound tempting.
Meh,i am going back to titans of steel/mech commander.

razvedchiki

Erudite
all big mods need the community asset bundle to function, it has all the new battlemech/tanks models hence its big size.
the good thing is that if you have downloaded it once you can reuse it again for new mods/reinstalling.

Cael

Arcane
I know unity is shit.But,first time i have ever seen 10+gb mods and recommendation for 32 gb's of ram for a smooth game experience.

I am always willing to give any franchises i like(and i like battletetch) a hour/two testing.
But,the game does seem to have a "decent" modding community. Unfortunately,,multiple GB mods and worse performance do not sound tempting.
It is not even Battletech, any more than it is Macross. It is a shit game with lousy mechanics and big stompy robots and its own lore.

The extent of mods is a sign of a large outside fanbase of the universe trying to cope with getting a game that was supposed to be faithful and it turning out to be total crap.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It is not even Battletech, any more than it is Macross. It is a shit game with lousy mechanics and big stompy robots and its own lore.

It's funny how Harebrained Schemes flubbed this. I mean the Shadowrun Returns reboots were decent games, but somehow the magic wasn't there with this one. Parts of it are fun and ok, but it doesn't gel into enough of a holistic immersive experience. You can sense that it could be great game if some more attention and effort were put into it, but it's not really there.

Jason Liang

Arcane

It's funny how Harebrained Schemes flubbed this. I mean the Shadowrun Returns reboots were decent games, but somehow the magic wasn't there with this one. Parts of it are fun and ok, but it doesn't gel into enough of a holistic immersive experience. You can sense that it could be great game if some more attention and effort were put into it, but it's not really there.
It's fun enough, and Battletech enough. If you didn't enjoy it, you probably had too high of expectations.

lightbane

Arcane

Blame trannies, becoming insanely self-righteous and centered (related to the former) and general incompetence. Also, the story reeks of modern politics shoe-ins. Even when the insane princess is called out for her absolutely faulty decisions, nothing happens anyway, something which seems to be a trend lately for "strong women" characters.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I kinda blame unity and incompetence for the fact that mods can't fix these games anymore, you might be able to mod out tranny stuff if the engine was good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom