Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Removal Learned

Removal
    Honestly, a love of mechs is really the main reason to keep at Battletech since none of the underlying fundamentals were ever fixed.

There's no combat log, load times while improved are still pure meh and you'll spend a good part of the game in them, you'll probably do most of the procedurally generated mission types within the first couple hours, the game difficulty still depends on your single lance being outnumbered in almost every fight, and there's no overall strategic game to cover up deficiencies on the tactical level.
    focus on ballistics/missiles and rush for heavy and assault mechs, add in a dash of called shots and you'll wreck face

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    So is it one of those games where all those interesting-looking levers and switches just spin and flip uselessly and don't have much of an effect?

• Yes Yes x 4
    • No No x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    On the base game, most of the fights have less tactics to them than on their shadowrun games and this is supposedly to be a war game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Well thanks, you guys have put me right off it lol

Hmm, so do any of the mods make it more properly tactical?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    ^ Top  
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Most of the problems on the base game come from the questionable maps that are too small or void of good design and the awful balancing basically eroding any tactics than isnt get the heaviest shit you can get and pound the enemy into submission as far away as possible, also there isnt enough punishment on the strategic layer to make it meaningful, when brute force is so much rewarded why try anything else? I'm hearing good things about Advanced 3062 but Lone Wolf is the guy to ask about that.

^ Top  
  6. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    I found medium and large lasers to be extremely useful, while SRMs and LRMs to be comparatively worthless to other weapons and not worth the space they take.

Never really ran into map issues. There are several interesting scenarios from the DLCs that I found pretty cool.

There are some issues with the AI for sure, but faster mechs exploit those issues much better than slow assault mechs. On my first playthrough endgame lance, my Atlas II was actually the least effective mech, being slow and good for not much more than a tanky punching bag. The Marauder and Warhammer were the ones that got kills and melted face, and the Cyclops Z gave everyone else steroids. The slowest mechs have nearly zero ability to retreat after they get pounded, and I would never take more than 1.

The problem is, does making the strategic layer punishing actually make the game more fun? HBS evidently did not think so, and I would agree with them. As for rewarding, well, some people find it rewarding to be able to beat the game with a lance of Firestarters so rewarding is a subjective quality.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I like ballistics and missiles for the chance to knock down. Also with LRMs, you can just have a spotter and keep a missile boat back out of LOS and volley the crap out of a target.

^ Top  
  8. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Stability damage does not scale well versus heavier mechs though and its easier to focus on coring than on jumping through hoops to knockdown.

One key imbalance issue is that the pilot abilities progression is OP so I would certainly recommend playing with limited/ slow/ no pilot progression.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    I'm playing with the Advanced mod and I'm having a lot of fun. I never played the base game so I have no idea what the mod fixed or broke, but the battles are plenty tactical (need to pay attention to a lot of things like evasion, heat management, terrain types, flanking, etc.), mech customization is very detailed and interesting and there's a huge variety of different mechs and weapon types that I'm still not bored of doing the same "kill all enemies" missions. I've heard that in the original game you can only control 4 units in one mission, in the mod it's up to 12 units - 8 mechs and 4 tanks. Maps are usually big so there's a lot of room to maneuver and flank and artillery units are very valuable - both on your side and on the enemy's.

Main thing I dislike are the slow loading times but I am on a very old PC. If you don't have a good PC with an SSD or a second monitor to watch shit while the game loads it can get very obnoxious. But other than that, the game runs better than heavily modded XCOM 2 did for me, which apart from super long loading times also featured frequent crashes and memory leaks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Thanks, yeah I think I will give the mod a try - the only problem is that my hd is pretty full atm, and it's quite a hefty mod. I'll give it a go once I'm done with a couple of other games. Meanwhile, I'm just going to noodle through the campaign and get a general feel for the game.

^ Top  
  11. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I would advice against playing the campaign, especially without quality-of-life mods, such as those that reduce load times. The writing is tailor made to be bad and to piss you off, even if you don't give a fuck about the lore, as I do, because of the blatant contrivances made to ensure certain plot situations happen, sometimes at the expense of gameplay.
    Ie: During the first campaign mission, your client betrays you, and you get NOTHING for the mission, which will take you 10+ minutes to complete due how slow combat is in-game, and you'll get nothing but some exp and whatever damage your mechs take.
    The issue though is that clients betraying mercs in BTech don't tend to last long, this is not Shadowrun where corps break the rules all the time.
    Even ignoring that, the game should have let you get some salvage, or at least repair your mechs for free so that you do not deliberately start the game with a very artificial disadvantage.

Show Spoiler

Then I read here about some side-quests that do not make sense in-universe or anywhere, like hunting down a drunkard hiding in a bar protected by veteran mechwarriors and heavy turrets. Derp.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i'm sick of roguetech's loading times. how are advanced's compared to them?

^ Top  
  13. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Huh. The story seems ok so far, but I've only just started it, a few missions in - I'm just at the part where me and my Marauders are helping some toff lady get a spaceliner that crashed on a moon out of the hands of pirates and off the ground. (It looks like the spaceliner that was supposed to have been blown up with my princess in it - I'm guessing it'll turn out that her enemies lied about her being killed, the spaceship escaped, and she's been in a cryopod all these years, or somthing like that :) )

I like the way it's set up, the feel of being a tight-knit unit venturing through the galaxy, having to manage it both as a business venture and as an effective band of mercenaries - but I suppose that's what you're doing in a Career anyway.

The lore is amazing - I've checked out a few vids. I've obviously missed out on a huge thing all these years.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    For me it's like 1-2 minutes both before and after a mission, but as I said, I'm on a very old PC with no SSD. I've been watching a guy play BTA on Twitch and for him the load times are like 5 seconds.

^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The real lore or the HBS tranny shit?

^ Top  
  16. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    The real lore. I've watched Razorfist's lore dump and a few others.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Then, yes, my friend, you have missed a massive thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. zapotec Arbiter

zapotec
    Check the Battletech sarna wiki, there is a lot of lore there

^ Top  
  19. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    Anyone here played Mech Commander: Omnitech?

^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    A little bit in the MW2 Mercs campaign. It seems to be quite buggy. The AI doesn't seem to go to certain waypoints, for example, which really bones you when you are expecting your buddy to help you out as in the original MW2 Mercs. The weapons ranges are also all over the place, with SRMs almost the range of Large Lasers, etc. Lastly, when you purchase extra drop weight, it isn't permanent. It resets the next mission. The drop weight doesn't seem to increase as the campaign progresses, so you are stuck with the starting 25-30 tons unless you want to spend your entire savings and more buying extra drop weight every mission.

I didn't have a good time with it and gave up about 5 missions in.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    I decided to give this a try. Spent an hour slogging across the first level, squashing trash mobs, listening to annoying nigger / stronk womyn companions prattle on about political bullshit I don't care about. Then the boss at the end of the level drops in and ROFLstomps the bodyguard dude in 2 turns. Game over.

Reload and I'm back at the beginning? Lmao as if I could ever be fucked to do that again. Probably the worst, biggest waste of time tutorial mission I've ever played. Goddamn SLOW AS FUCK piece of shit game. Merry Christmas.

• nice nice x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    All of this just got me wanting to olay MechCommander again.
    Any of you gents know where i can get my grubby hands on them?

• Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Just search for them. They are both freeware now, so it is not illegal to download them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    You were warned about the shitty programming, the retarded gameplay and the bad fanfic tier writing.

^ Top  
  25. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    lmao you can press the spacebar(?) to speed up the attack and move animations

on top of that you can change the frequency or outright disable the "cool cam" animations

you idiot lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.