Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Are these "trannies" in the room with us right now?

Cael

Arcane
And playing this game? Seriously?
I know unity is shit.But,first time i have ever seen 10+gb mods and recommendation for 32 gb's of ram for a smooth game experience.

I am always willing to give any franchises i like(and i like battletetch) a hour/two testing.
To my "surprise" the game performance and the game part are not good.
But,the game does seem to have a "decent" modding community. Unfortunately,,multiple GB mods and worse performance do not sound tempting.
Meh,i am going back to titans of steel/mech commander.
It is not even Battletech, any more than it is Macross. It is a shit game with lousy mechanics and big stompy robots and its own lore.

It's funny how Harebrained Schemes flubbed this. I mean the Shadowrun Returns reboots were decent games, but somehow the magic wasn't there with this one. Parts of it are fun and ok, but it doesn't gel into enough of a holistic immersive experience. You can sense that it could be great game if some more attention and effort were put into it, but it's not really there.
That is what happens when woketards get hold of any franchise and force their stupid modern day IRL politics into a setting that had different politics and outlook.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Battletech is a solid game. I enjoyed the campaign quite a lot. It has very good music also. I also never had any problems with a performance. Its only flaw is that it’s too small. It could have become a much better game if it had more customizations options for both mechs and pilots, more tactics options, more maps, more of everything actually.

Cael

Arcane
Playing Wasteland 2, and here is the thing.

Both HBS game and Wasteland are Unity games.
Both have the equivalent of a "world" map. Both have set random maps.
Wasteland has more weapon types, weapons and inventory items. The junk items list alone is huge.
Wasteland has far larger maps and more of them.
Wasteland is a larger game.
Wasteland is a real RPG with quests and an actual story.
Wasteland has a real dialog system.

Wasteland doesn't have in-your-face wokeshit crap. Wasteland doesn't have hatred for white people. Wasteland does NOT burn computers nor take 20 years to load a game!

Fuck those incompetent shits at HBS with a shattered glass dildo. Fuck 'em!

Sykar

Arcane
I know unity is shit.But,first time i have ever seen 10+gb mods and recommendation for 32 gb's of ram for a smooth game experience.

I am always willing to give any franchises i like(and i like battletetch) a hour/two testing.
But,the game does seem to have a "decent" modding community. Unfortunately,,multiple GB mods and worse performance do not sound tempting.
It is not even Battletech, any more than it is Macross. It is a shit game with lousy mechanics and big stompy robots and its own lore.

It's funny how Harebrained Schemes flubbed this. I mean the Shadowrun Returns reboots were decent games, but somehow the magic wasn't there with this one. Parts of it are fun and ok, but it doesn't gel into enough of a holistic immersive experience. You can sense that it could be great game if some more attention and effort were put into it, but it's not really there.

Decent games? Eh they were pretty average NuXCom fare though at least they had a decent atmosphere and conveyed the general idea of hired criminals vs corrupt organizations with supernatural elements well enough. But as for Shadowrun games? Poor, very little of the actual rule system was used, especially magic is a shitshow as is itemization. Genesis and SNES versions were better adaptations of the P&P game than these.

Cael

Arcane

Decent games? Eh they were pretty average NuXCom fare though at least they had a decent atmosphere and conveyed the general idea of hired criminals vs corrupt organizations with supernatural elements well enough. But as for Shadowrun games? Poor, very little of the actual rule system was used, especially magic is a shitshow as is itemization. Genesis and SNES versions were better adaptations of the P&P game than these.
I remember the Genesis one. Good times.

Cael

Arcane
Every now and then, I like to start up a game to remind myself why I can't stand it. Today was this game's turn. I played the first forced mission against the mining company and quit straight after. Dang, it was slow as shit, and I don't mean the loading times.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I remember abandoning the game too.
I remember it being very slow and it being a very long game.
I might come back to it, but there's a bunch of other stuff I'd rather play first. It doesn't help that the fucker is like 33gigs, because apparently modern games are primadonnas that want to be only game on your hard disk.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Battletech's drive space is a minor issue compared to the terrible strain on GPUs that occurs despite the relatively simple graphics which, combined with the turn-based nature of combat, should not be demanding. Not to mention the crippling bugs, such as the one that causes the game to become ever slower as the number of saves increases, or the one that results in a jump between systems never arriving with the only recourse to load a save from a point before starting that trip.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I quite enjoyed the PvP aspect of the game for a couple of years after release. The Inner Sphere Wars fan-run campaign had a few good seasons, and the tournament play was particularly enjoyable (as long as you only entered the ones which banned custom mechs). HBS didn't really support PvP though, which was a shame as there was an enjoyable core experience.

GreyViper

Prophet
Im a big fan of RogueTech, but agree memory requirement is absurd and no fault of moders, the game isn't optimized well. XCoM2 had a similar issue with mods while none with XCOM EW. The problem being there arent many good alternatives and since HBS has not added any new content, mods is all we have.

Wasteland has more weapon types, weapons and inventory items. The junk items list alone is huge.

Wasteland doesn't have in-your-face wokeshit crap. Wasteland doesn't have hatred for white people. Wasteland does NOT burn computers nor take 20 years to load a game!

Is Wasteland 2 actually any good?

Also, if I get it, should I play original or directors cut and why?

Also I work with Unity every day (it's my day job) and it has plenty of built in systems for content optimization. The biggest performance bottleneck for Unity is usually rendering performance, since it doesn't have the best geometry culling system. It seems in this game, everything renders fine, but their content pipeline is obviously set up horribly, and they are terribly incompetent. They are probably doing something really dumb, like unpacking the entire contents of the game into memory at runtime, bloating your memory footprint. This is not a Unity problem and has everything to do with shitty incompetent devs.

"Shitty Unity" is the "Shitty Gamebryo" of 2022. Gamebryo is a fine engine, and most of the games made with it have ended up fine. Bethesda have just always been incompetent hacks, and Bethesda fans high on copium have blamed the engine rather than the shitty company and it just sort of stuck.

Cael

Arcane

Is Wasteland 2 actually any good?

Also, if I get it, should I play original or directors cut and why?

Also I work with Unity every day (it's my day job) and it has plenty of built in systems for content optimization. The biggest performance bottleneck for Unity is usually rendering performance, since it doesn't have the best geometry culling system. It seems in this game, everything renders fine, but their content pipeline is obviously set up horribly, and they are terribly incompetent. They are probably doing something really dumb, like unpacking the entire contents of the game into memory at runtime, bloating your memory footprint. This is not a Unity problem and has everything to do with shitty incompetent devs.

"Shitty Unity" is the "Shitty Gamebryo" of 2022. Gamebryo is a fine engine, and most of the games made with it have ended up fine. Bethesda have just always been incompetent hacks, and Bethesda fans high on copium have blamed the engine rather than the shitty company and it just sort of stuck.
Play Director's Cut. From what I understand, it got rid of most of the bugs, and rebalanced the NPCs, which were far more horrible in the original.

Play Director's Cut. From what I understand, it got rid of most of the bugs, and rebalanced the NPCs, which were far more horrible in the original.

Yeah. I have also heard it adds things like bonuses for getting skills to certain levels? Sounds based but I'm not sure about it.

I will play Directors Cut.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Finally found the last part to complete my Nightstar yesterday, on Stewart in Marikspace!

ba0001.jpg

ba0002.jpg

ba0003.jpg

ba0004.jpg

Now I'm going to figure out the best guns to slap on my pride and joy!

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I quite enjoyed the PvP aspect of the game for a couple of years after release. The Inner Sphere Wars fan-run campaign had a few good seasons, and the tournament play was particularly enjoyable (as long as you only entered the ones which banned custom mechs). HBS didn't really support PvP though, which was a shame as there was an enjoyable core experience.
That’s actually interesting. Where can I find more info about this?

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'm pretty sure it's all died due to lack of any support or interest by HBS.

Here's the only surviving post I can find about ISW:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...are-online-fan-made-planetary-league.1073327/

But I'm pretty sure their website was taken down years ago, none of the links on there about them to work.

It was pretty good, players formed teams representing all of the great houses, the minor states, and mercenary units. After that, the strategic layer had each planet running an economy which you could develop, buy dropships/jumpships and mechs to form garrisons and attack forces, then fight out tactical battles in the HBS game.

Pretty much the same thing for fan tournaments, there were loads for the first couple of years (mostly organised over on the HBS forums)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/battletech-multi-player.1011/

but there's nothing going on there and hasn't been since about 2018.

It's a shame, really. It was far and away the most interesting thing about the game, the AI was never as fun to play against as real people.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Here's some gameplay of Inner Sphere Wars PvP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYDsBHyEEU

One of the cool things about it was that using non-meta lances was actually beneficial as those mechs that were less popular became cheaper to buy and field, so the game balanced itself out pretty well.

Anaro was very good at the game and I was lucky enough to play against him a few times at tournaments. He has some tourney footage and other ISW games up on his channel, too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom