Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Stoned Ape

Savant
bought this game on recent sale, playing the campaign right now to get used to mechanics before loading up something like Roguetech....... so far I like it better than I thought I would actually..I do notice the 'woke' stuff, but that does not trigger me or ruin a game for me like some people even if I wish it were not there..
Just to let you know, Roguetech completely changes the mechanics to the extent it plays almost nothing like the base game except in the very broadest sense.

https://roguetech.fandom.com/wiki/Gameplay_Changes

roguetech is larping paradise.
i officially survived early-game and now i'm jumping from system to system just to disrupt steiner operation, just to piss them off. sometimes i even helped enemy invasions. as some slaver-pirate-raider, which clans i should oppose the most?

Beowulf

Arcane
Jesus, this game is so boring and slow. There are hardly any meaningful decisions in-between all the loading screens and waiting for your turn.

Jason Liang

Arcane
BEX bumps the difficulty up just enough to make decisions meaningful, if that's what you're looking for. Vanilla difficulty is tuned too much to popamole, at least for me.

Cael

Arcane
There is so little point in the HBS game without a campaign. What are you really doing? There is no end goal. Even the Flashpoints gave you SOMETHING to aim for. Roguetech and other mods seem pretty pointless as they are all PvE and the E is dumber than stumps. MekTek has better AI than the HBS game.

EDIT: Still one of the best scenes in the HBS game:

YESS.png

Medium laser to the face in an otherwise undamaged 'mech. Taking all the armour off the head to put into the torsos and then running it into the valley under the guns of the enemy paid off.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Is it advisable to skip the base game and start with Roguetech?
Only if you like repetitive busywork. Game's underlying mechanics is trash.
That's too bad. I'd like to play a deep tactical mech game with much customization that isn't very old. Still would try it if I have the opportunity.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Roguetech could really use some sort of narrative, regardless of how basic and uninspired it might be, to give context to what you're doing. Don't know if it is even possible to mod a custom campaign into the game though.

Cael

Arcane
That's too bad. I'd like to play a deep tactical mech game with much customization that isn't very old. Still would try it if I have the opportunity.
Get MekTek if you want a tactical mech game without a storyline. It is far better and far more challenging. And free.

Get MekTek if you want a tactical mech game without a storyline. It is far better and far more challenging. And free.
Maybe I'm just too old but I can never get Mektek to work properly. Is there a guide I can read?

Cael

Arcane
Maybe I'm just too old but I can never get Mektek to work properly. Is there a guide I can read?
I just downloaded it, fired it up and it works. You do need Java installed, though.

Kouvo

Augur
How does BTA compare to roguetech? I feel like playing this again, but unsure about which overhaul to pick.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i have played a lot the extended campaign / mercenary mode and liked it very much. its quite lightweight considering pc requirements compared to roguetech/advanced, also has a stricter approach to advanced weaponry/systems/mechs ( ie lostech mechs/weapons either drop on rare specific missions, or as rewards in difficult flashpoints).
it also features era appropriate appereance of mechs/weapons and the full invasion of the clans, missions against the clans are the end game and are really difficult to pull off.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Best to go all in on roguetech. I went at it again this past week myself and there was a time when it was incredibly clunky but that has mostly passed. They have an installer and you can tune the game as to how you'd like, if you want a basic experience you can just leave most of the additions unchecked and if you want to go whole hog you can add everything. Its a completely different game and they've implemented a 'season' mechanic with an online map you can sign up for which the current one will start again soon. Although if you have less than 16 gigs ram I would avoid it and go with advanced or extended, 32gigs is the sweet spot for decent performance. Its pretty glorious at this point with every mech, experimental and pirate tech, battle armors, superheavy's, vtols and tanks and so on.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didn’t get into any of these overhauls because of their extreme autism and no learning curve provided. You are expected to be familiar with tons of new mechanics and equipment from the start. That and awful modders-made new models which break the game’s visual consistency.

something must have gone horribly wrong with roguetech. it has always been slow, but damn, 10 full minutes to load (if it doesm't even freeze), almost 2 to change a map filter, going through menus is a pain.
and fuck, it even stopped working in borderless, the game is unplayable if you're not actually doing it while watching something else.

Last edited:

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Career mode in this game is of the same quality as the rest of it. It’s almost super fun. You know, I really can’t remember any game that’d given me the same amount of “OH FUCK THIS COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH FUN” feelings. It is almost there, but it just isn’t. Shame DLCs didn’t sell well — they were on the right track by introducing new gameplay mechanics such as urban combat, artillery, support systems, ballistics (or an imitation of). This game would have tremendously benefited from more details, more gameplay mechanics, more everything. Alas.

Also I kinda dislike the implementation of Ironman they have. It begs for it to be cheesed cause it only rewrites savegame upon exiting the game. Would have been MUCH better if it made saves after each turn and upon advancing time.

Cael

Arcane
something must have gone horribly wrong with roguetech. it has always been slow, but damn, 10 full minutes to load (if it doesm't even freeze), almost 2 to change a map filter, going through menus is a pain.
and fuck, it even stopped working in borderless, the game is unplayable if you're not actually doing it while watching something else.
Let's see... From the Roguetech wiki:

"Storage: 35GB Base BT Installation + 25GB (at least... it's constantly growing) Mod Installation. Additional 25GB (at least... it's constantly growing) for launcher cache workspace required on any other storage."

Gee... I wonder why...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

"Storage: 35GB Base BT Installation + 25GB (at least... it's constantly growing) Mod Installation. Additional 25GB (at least... it's constantly growing) for launcher cache workspace required on any other storage."

Gee... I wonder why...
Bruh I think he's storing the actual mechs in the hard drive.

Cael

Arcane

Gee... I wonder why...
Bruh I think he's storing the actual mechs in the hard drive.
So, crypto-mech mining, eh?

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’m having fun actually. Especially when fighting lances of matching or bigger tonnage. The last one was a total shitshow. I opened up quite nicely flanking a Crab and fucking it good in the rear, but things got grim as soon as his friends appeared. Vindicator and Griffin along with three annoying light mechs all targeting my lance leader in a Blackjack. Managed to drill a hole in the Griffin’s back while flying around on jumpjets like a madman all that while on the extreme heat levels making a shot of hope before shutting down. Unfortunately I’ve got a very unfortunate PPC in the face and died.
:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom