Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a joke. If at least people could chose to buy the original version instead of the EE but somehow they are not available anymore on Steam and GoG. I wonder why...

The original version of PS:T has never been on Steam.

To anyone missing the point, the www.planescape.com webpage had as title (if you looked at the top of your browser/tab) : PLAN ESCAPE (with the space) instead of Planescape.

It means either Beamdog never understood what Planescape was, or were making loosy joke on people who never understood.
The meaning of the campaign setting never was to escape from planes, but to offer a panorama of planes, so to avoid confusion, TSR made the Lady of Pain's head between PLANE and SCAPE in every Planescape's product.

But here in 2017, we still have people thinking of PLAN-ESCAPE or PLANET-ESCAPE or some kind of bad shit.
Planescape released first in 1994.
Seriously.

Whooooooooosh

Any chance of Chinese localization?

Updated your Lilura.txts, everybody

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
For people asking about the integration of the PST Fixpack: we contacted Qwinn in the early development stages of PST:EE and obtained permission to use it.
Will he be credited at least?

Edit:
We obtained permission to use the Unfinished Business mod, but decided not to after some internal discussions.
You mean too much work that is.

Maybe he wants his name added after every dialogue window.

-Qwinn

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
aVENGER Hey, just a minor gripe, not to undervalue you guys' effort over this and I guess this is likely business side of things. But I don't like that Beamdog doesn't specify original developer in store page.

Not up to me, there are legal reasons why the store pages are like that.

That said, the PST:EE in-game credits list the original developers, just like all the previous EE games did.

It would be a nice gesture to have the Black Isle logo on the load-up screen though.

Talk to some of your colleagues, see if you can get it.

Gesture? It is fucking decency to credit those who did the actual work.

Yeah, not gonna happen. From the other EEs they removed any mention of the companies that actually created the games.
Legal reasons lol. Legal reasons being they want to swallow the franchises and claim them as their own.

Sykar

Arcane
What a joke. If at least people could chose to buy the original version instead of the EE but somehow they are not available anymore on Steam and GoG. I wonder why...

The original version of PS:T has never been on Steam.

What does that matter? All so called enhanced editions, and I am using "enhanced" loosely here, have replaced the originals both on Steam and GoG. So wow, thanks for telling me that Steam did not sell Torment, that was hugely important to the point I made.

aVENGER Hey, just a minor gripe, not to undervalue you guys' effort over this and I guess this is likely business side of things. But I don't like that Beamdog doesn't specify original developer in store page.

Not up to me, there are legal reasons why the store pages are like that.

That said, the PST:EE in-game credits list the original developers, just like all the previous EE games did.

It would be a nice gesture to have the Black Isle logo on the load-up screen though.

Talk to some of your colleagues, see if you can get it.

Gesture? It is fucking decency to credit those who did the actual work.

Yeah, not gonna happen. From the other EEs they removed any mention of the companies that actually created the games.
Legal reasons lol. Legal reasons being they want to swallow the franchises and claim them as their own.

That just proves to me again what a disingenuous despicable sellout company Beamdog really is. May they burn in hell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To clarify, no Infinity Engine game was sold on Steam before the EEs. They were only available on GOG.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That just proves to me again what a disingenuous despicable sellout company Beamdog really is. May they burn in hell.
It's the typical MO of someone who makes money on someone else's work. Isn't this what Bethesda did with the original Fallout games too? Not really sure about it, but I seem to remember that.
That's how it works. Publishers put their name first in front of the developers and franchise trolls like Bethesda and Beamdog claim everything as their own.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bethesda didn't do anything to the original Fallouts other than add a splash screen menu before you start the games.

hexer

Fallout: Enhanced Edition when?

IWD2, then NWN.

Lilura, did you ever play my NWN module Sapphire Star?
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/sapphire-star

I made it in 2002/2003 and was thinking of going back to it this spring to fix grammar, proofread texts and maybe add back some cut content.
I'm going to "enhance" it one last time, dunno if someone will play it though :D
If you're interested in reviewing it, let me know and I'll get to it right away

P.S. Sorry for going off topic, can't send you a PM

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
To clarify, no Infinity Engine game was sold on Steam before the EEs. They were only available on GOG.

That reminded me to check out non-EE IE game page:
https://af.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_2?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/planescape_torment?as=1649904300

Hmmm.

It's a bit sad that all evidence will now be lost that the IE games were/are GOG's top-selling titles. I wonder if PSTEE will ever reclaim the top spot. Probably not.

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1&as=1649904300

What a bizarre top 3 it will be now. NWN, Heroes 3 and Dungeon Keeper 2?

Last edited:

hexer

To anyone missing the point, the www.planescape.com webpage had as title (if you looked at the top of your browser/tab) : PLAN ESCAPE (with the space) instead of Planescape.

It means either Beamdog never understood what Planescape was, or were making loosy joke on people who never understood.
The meaning of the campaign setting never was to escape from planes, but to offer a panorama of planes, so to avoid confusion, TSR made the Lady of Pain's head between PLANE and SCAPE in every Planescape's product.

But here in 2017, we still have people thinking of PLAN-ESCAPE or PLANET-ESCAPE or some kind of bad shit.
Planescape released first in 1994.
Seriously.

Beamdog temporarily named the website Plan Escape because their employees joked about starting an exotic traveling agency on Twitter.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lilura, did you ever play my NWN module Sapphire Star?
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/sapphire-star

I made it in 2002/2003 and was thinking of going back to it this spring to fix grammar, proofread texts and maybe add back some cut content.
I'm going to "enhance" it one last time, dunno if someone will play it though :D
If you're interested in reviewing it, let me know and I'll get to it right away

P.S. Sorry for going off topic, can't send you a PM

Your SS was recommended to me by the great Rogueknight 333 so I intend to check it out soon. Playing Underrail, atm. :obviously: I'll tag you when I get around to giving it a whirl.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamesn.com/planescape-torment/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition-steam

Inside Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition and "repainting the smile on the Mona Lisa"

planescape%20torment%20enhanced%20edition.png

There’s a tendency to ease off the pedal as you near the end of a great book, not knowing quite how you’ll get by without its voice in your head. The new Torment, Tides of Numenera, is a bit like that: an astonishingly bold and literary RPG about legacy that stands alone among its peers.

Thank the Changing God, then, for the surprise return of Torment’s own legacy. Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition is a brand new version of the classic RPG, out April 11, that represents more than a year’s work infusing the game with 4K-friendly features, an overhauled UI, and remastered music under the watchful stewardship of Chris Avellone.

The new version comes not from Tides of Numenera’s InXile but Edmonton studio Beamdog - where, lest we forget, Dragon Age’s David Gaider now resides. Beamdog are behind three enhanced Infinity Engine re-releases to date - four, if you count their own ambitious Baldur’s Gate expansion, Siege of Dragonspear.

This one isn’t wholly unexpected. Beamdog boss, Bioware co-founder and onetime Neverwinter Nights lead Trent Oster gets asked about a Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition “pretty much once or twice a day”. But the project was never a sure thing either: the studio have always eyed this one warily, knowing that Planescape’s relation to the other D&D games of its time was less than straightforward, technically speaking.

“Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale were almost like brothers or cousins,” Oster explains. “Planescape is something like a second cousin twice removed.”

A shared D&D ruleset has allowed Beamdog to roll out character classes and fixes among all of their Enhanced Editions - Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II, and Icewind Dale. But Torment’s Planescape-modified system doesn’t play nice. What’s more, when Bioware supplied the Infinite Engine’s code to the Planescape team back in the ‘90s, it wasn’t all there.

planescape%20torment%20enhanced%20edition%20interview.png

“They hadn’t finished the spell system yet,” Oster expands. “There are some things in [Planescape] that are just radically different. The only way we were going to make this work was to port the Planescape code over - and in some cases actually rebuild entire systems around supporting architecture that would directly conflict with the way Baldur’s Gate was doing things.”

This work, it’s important to emphasise, is all under the hood. Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition is still very much the same adventure into Sigil and the multiverse you might have played before, its continuity ensured by the participation of original lead designer Chris Avellone. While no RPG writer can be considered an auteur - as Avellone himself made clear in our interview a couple of years ago - there’s a reason his name is that most often associated with Torment.

“He was part of all of the discussions around the story, about the game, why it was built the way it was,” says Oster. “He was that one touchpoint that we could get where he was so intimate with everything about that game.”

planescape%20torment%20enhanced%20edition%20preview.png

Avellone has worked in a background capacity with Beamdog before, acting as a script editor for Dragonspear.

“We were unsure about how best to interact with Chris, because he was at Obsidian before,” Oster recalls. “And then when he left we were like, ‘Yo, Chris! How you doing, buddy?’”

With the nomad RPG legend on board, the Beamdog team - led by Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition project manager Alex Tomovic - have had a sounding board for their changes and inclusions. By digging into the code and referring to the “late ‘90s heavy metal” design documents of the game, they’ve been able to uncover and restore some lost content.

“Anything that was well-scaffolded and well thought-out that was left slightly incomplete, it came down to Chris,” says Oster. “We asked, ‘If this had shipped in the original, would the game have been better?’

planescape%20torment%20enhanced%20edition%20chris%20avellone.png

“When we did make some changes, they were very comfortable for the original design. There are some big things that we looked at and went, ‘This would make it better but we’re basically going in and repainting the smile on the Mona Lisa here.’”

Beamdog have, in the main, erred on the side of preserving Planescape as it was - simply polishing it up for modern PCs. They’ve rebuilt the interface in high-definition, jettisoning a radial menu when they found the game played better without it. They’ve brought the audio up to contemporary standards. And they’ve pulled over convenience features from the other Enhanced Editions, like tab highlighting and a ‘quickloot’ option.

“It’s really being able to know: what are sacred cows, and what are sacrificial goats? I think we’ve had weekly calls [with Chris],” notes Oster. “It’s just an ongoing discussion.”

Perhaps crucially, Beamdog have included the option to bypass most of their hard work and play Planescape: Torment as it originally was, flaws and all. That’s the funny thing about enhancements: it can be tough to accept somebody coming in and straightening the painting when it’s been hanging crooked for 17 years.

Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition comes to Windows, Mac and Linux on April 11.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
"They hadn’t finished the spell system yet,” Oster expands. “There are some things in [Planescape] that are just radically different. The only way we were going to make this work was to port the Planescape code over - and in some cases actually rebuild entire systems around supporting architecture that would directly conflict with the way Baldur’s Gate was doing things.”

Oh boy, that shit's gonna be buggy as hell :lol:

Dexter

Arcane
We didn't have access to the source art for the original animated portraits and movies.

Without the source art, the only way to update the EE versions would be to re-create the movies and portraits from scratch and I felt that doing that would alter the feel of the original game too much.

AT: We didn’t have access to the source art for the original animated portraits and movies. Had that been the case, we would have loved to include higher resolution versions of both in the Enhanced Edition.
So what exactly happened with the "original source art" of all these games? For Baldur's Gate 1+2 apparently BioWare "lost" the source art (e.g. EA didn't want them to fork it over to a bunch of incompetents so they can make money off of their studios work) but Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment are both Black Isle studios titles, what happened there?

I would have loved to see everything that is pre-rendered at more resolution, but, if they don't have the sources there is nothing they can do.

EE is what we got, an improved, updated, almost untouched and fixed experience of a cult classic, enjoy it or don't but throwing a tantrum for things that are not going to happen is beyond childish.
What exactly did they improve and fix that would merit this re-release?

You know the purpose of "Enhancing" or "Remastering" something is usually to make it better? Can you imagine if they released these and the only difference was some Blur filter and black outlines?

What's the purpose of re-releasing something if you don't actually *do* anything other than as a quick cash-grab to be able to unearth and release further eldritch horrors on the gaming world in the future?

Fallout: Enhanced Edition when?
It's thankfully never going to happen, because Bethesda owns the rights now and they wouldn't allow something like this in a million years.

Plan: Escape Torment :D
Does anyone still have those Codex "covers" of modern Planescape sequels e.g. Planet Escape: Tournament etc.?

Naraya

Arcane
Which one of you is this on the GOG forums:

Fuck Beamdog. Them fuckers can go burn in a dumpster fire. I refuse to support them people that are ruining these amazing games with their "Enhanced Editions" which are just really crap and buggy version of the originals with visuals that, somehow, look worse. I can't believe they finally got their greasy paws on Planscape. And here I was hoping that that and Neverwinter Nights would never be touched by them. Beamdog are just wanna modders who try to sell their shit as legit and then silence any type of constructive criticism because they think they are above their customers.

Also, why the hell is GOG merging the two? That's the biggest reason why I refuse to buy either of the Baldur's Gate games and the first Icewind Dale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comte

Which one of you is this on the GOG forums:

Fuck Beamdog. Them fuckers can go burn in a dumpster fire. I refuse to support them people that are ruining these amazing games with their "Enhanced Editions" which are just really crap and buggy version of the originals with visuals that, somehow, look worse. I can't believe they finally got their greasy paws on Planscape. And here I was hoping that that and Neverwinter Nights would never be touched by them. Beamdog are just wanna modders who try to sell their shit as legit and then silence any type of constructive criticism because they think they are above their customers.

Also, why the hell is GOG merging the two? That's the biggest reason why I refuse to buy either of the Baldur's Gate games and the first Icewind Dale.
Sherry is just blowing off some steam after all his friendly posts on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So what exactly happened with the "original source art" of all these games? For Baldur's Gate 1+2 apparently BioWare "lost" the source art (e.g. EA didn't want them to fork it over to a bunch of incompetents so they can make money off of their studios work) but Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment are both Black Isle studios titles, what happened there?

What happened we'll probably never know.
Even if those source files weren't lost (conveniently) it would be a lot of work to re-render them* and they'd need a much bigger budget for that when these EE are obviously a matter of doing as little work as possible for the least amount of money. Slamdunks, if you will.

*Even if it was just a matter of hitting open->render it would still be plenty of work to put them in the game in their new size, but I imagine there'd be issues with opening them in new versions of whatever software they were done in, software they might need licenses for if they don't already use it. I'd love to fuck around with that, but yeah, it's probably a lot of work and money. Blizzard shits money so they can afford to do whatever the fuck they want.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom