Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Pyke, Sep 2, 2016.

1. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Yup, but the potential knock-on effects are worth it imo. Telling people it's ok to not stick to the script may sound like a simple thing, but there's a lot of people making games these days who have a paint-by-numbers or Taylorist approach. Your words contribute to a collective counter-balance to that mentality... but unfortunately the price you pay is to feel a bit like a douche. Kinda like a lot of professional activities, tbh.

You and Nick are doing good work. :salute:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Coming February: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2660063

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    You joke, but we actually spoke a while back about converting our office into a power neutral place with solar panels. Its just too expensive. We have large UPS's that give us about 6 hours of power on a single recharge.

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Too much for me to handle.

• Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ScrotumBroth Cipher Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I need a hug.... Please... I need children's television.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. toro Arcane

toro
    Pyke is gone.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    We are Western Cape. HOLD THE LINE!!!

• Salute Salute x 8
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    stay safe dudes

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. toro Arcane

toro
    ok. my scheme worked.

release date plz :)

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Feb 2020

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I hope you get to finish the game before the machete rape gangs problems of your country catch up with you. It would be a bad way to die and you wouldn't get international coverage because it would be considered racist or something like that.

^ Top  
  13. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    South Africa is in more of a slow decline. Like, I think that the international coverage can feel very intense, but this is a big country of 57 000 000 people... shit's gonna happen daily, and with the 24 hour news cycle everything gets reported on.
    There is some good stuff happening. Our main opposition party recently went through a big shake up because they were loosing too much support - so hopefully they can pull us from the brink of chaos. I mean they won't, because they are all politicians, and all politicians are evil... but a man can dream!

Biggest concern for me isn't really the social issues, but rather the infrastructure. Water and power. Its becoming harder and harder to effectively run a business with any sort of consistency when you don't know if you're gonna have electricity next week. Or tomorrow. Or this afternoon.
    We had a huge drought, and everyone panicked for a few months... then the rains came and people stopped panicking. The thing is that it was that sort of panic that made people more accountable. Suddenly the government was looking into other forms of water reclamation, people were putting in their own well points, they were cancelling large events because of the environmental impact. Those things were good because they were shedding light on some rather huge problems in the Western Cape. BUT as soon as the rains came, all of those issues simply 'vanished.'
    I would put a pay check on the next drought happening and not ONE of those water reclamation projects that everyone was so supportive of actually happening. Then there will be some news article about how a few billion rand that was earmarked for water projects has evaporated, and the cycle will start again.

• Despair x 7
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. WallaceChambers Learned

WallaceChambers
    Quick question about the game and apologies in advanced if this has been answered somewhere in the thread already; but does this game have combat? I was surprised to see some in a trailer I'd watched recently and was wondering if that was a main part of the game or not.

^ Top  
  16. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Show Spoiler
    There is combat in the game, but its optional. There are a lot of choices with consequences in the game, and engaging in combat, or choosing to not engaging in combat will alter the direction of the story. :)

• incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Speaking of voice acting I just finished Stasis again for Halloween and John's voice actor really knocked it outta park, started game a bit wobbly (intentionally?) but near ending he was giving one hell of a performance. Bit choked up when his nipper got it, and I'm a stoic.

Well done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Thanks man! Yeah, Ryan is a beast! He also did the voice of the other survivor in Cayne and has quite a few parts in Desolation. We tend to keep using the same people. His brother is also a fantastic voice artist. They are a ton of fun to work with, and really gives their all! We have a drunk character in Desolation, and I swear Ryan actually got drunk to do the recording. Or happened to be drunk when he recorded it...he is English after all.

Hadley in Cayne is doing the voice of POOCH in Desolation.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I hope this game will have actual dialogue trees with characters, or at least multiple endings. Asking for a non-depressing ending is probably too much I guess, right?

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    It does. And it does. And...no promises. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    It always facinates me how devs in dire straights always churn out the best stuff.

Like you got Pyke fucking in SA, no water and power, rape gangs and riots, but makes quality fucking stuff

Then you got TODD, and the mooks at obsidian in their safe, comfy big office chairs with little to no danger in any way what so ever, churning out mediocre boring safe stuff :P

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ScrotumBroth Cipher Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Don't mention Pyke in the same sentence with that trash brah. This is a high roller lounge where gentleman wipe their golden monocles with finest silk, whilst partaking in consuming art with a bit of 20 yo single malt.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    You know I like to mull over a game when I've finished it and I've got to say this about Stasis: This has an almost perfect atmosphere for a w40k game, the Groomlake could pass for a Space Hulk with very little modification, and with John you get a more grounded protagonist than a Terminator squad or what have you.

Pity we'll never get a game like that, but if we do I hope somebody like Pyke gets to work on it, because it's the human frailty and striving in the inhuman w40k setting that really lets us self insert into what should be unrelatable.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sharpedge Learned

Sharpedge
    As a fellow South African it shames me to admit I was not aware this game was in development until now. The 2d visuals look absolutely gorgeous. I will be keeping track of this and I am looking forward to playing it on release.

^ Top  
  25. Pyke The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Shame. Shame. Shame.

If you wanna get notified at release, you can always add us to your wishlist! Every addition helps! https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.