Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best and Worst RPG of 2022 (Votes tallied!)

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only RPG from 2022 that I played and still remember is Weird West.
Was it any good? A lot of people seem to think it was shit from what I saw.
It's mediocre. The world is interesting but the game gets repetitive. You play as 5 or 6 different characters throughout the story I think but they all share the same skills. There's only a few small differences between each one. It feels pretty lazy.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Best: King Arthur. The Hungarians finally produced something good other than paprika-spiced foods.
Operencia is worth playing as a decent turn-based blobber even if nothing incredible.

Mnb2abg.jpg

Not to forget the best Hungarian-developed computer game, Perihelion.

t0m7kv.jpg

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The only RPG from 2022 that I played and still remember is Weird West.
Was it any good? A lot of people seem to think it was shit from what I saw.
It's mediocre. The world is interesting but the game gets repetitive. You play as 5 or 6 different characters throughout the story I think but they all share the same skills. There's only a few small differences between each one. It feels pretty lazy.
I liked the setting a lot, but, yeah, the gameplay became repetitive soon. Still I think it is above average compared to the others '22 releases.

2022 brought us Elden Ring, a game where you roleplay as a kissless, sexless virgin with poor higiene who is tricked by a cute girl into talking to her and... gasp... hold hands with her.
A true to life experience!
She also steals your wallet/procs a semi-permanent debuff.

Realism!
Ha, I was talking about Melina! Fia is certainly a good moment though. A goth chick gives you an STD and is a bit too fond of the dead... maybe a bit too much...
Then when you are like wait a minute this is necrophilia, she has her simps attack you and try to cancel your life for it.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Best: Elden Ring (448 hours played)

Worst: ELEX 2 (7 hours played)

Aside from Elden Ring, 2022 was mostly a year for replaying old RPGs. The EOB series, the LOL series, ++

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm going to take the results, such as they are, on February 20th, North American time (today is February 18th here). Thank you to everyone who gave an honest reply and/or offered helpful suggestions, the rest of you can eat a bag of dicks.

:love:

Feel free to add to this thread after the fact, if you so desire, however, I'm not going to do anything with it. I'll just post the results in this thread because it's not an official poll and because it was more out of my personal interest in what the results would look like going about it this way.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Worst: Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga
I had high hopes for this. Yes, it's a love letter to tactics JRPGs and it almost delivers. It kind of reminds me of Warsong (Langrisser). Unfortunately, the story is retarded and the gameplay lacks any challenge even at the hardest difficulty if you're at all experienced with tactics RPGs. It was completely milquetoast, the definition of banal, shit, boring. I don't even hate it, it was completely forgettable.
Why do you think it got such a soaring positive response on Steam? What did they like that you found so forgettable?

Expeditions: Rome is one of the only brand new RPGs I played from 2022 I think. Still have to finish it (life got in the way, as it so often does), but what I experienced was something novel at least -- the legion battles were repetitive in their execution, but the idea was cool. (I think they updated this aspect since I last played it though?)

The compromise they made between historicity and player choice was nice, too. Playing as a female PC got you negative / belittling reactions, fitting the period. It wasn't simply a net negative or "bad" choice, but nor was it completely skipped over as though such was completely normal and wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

That's it. Memoirs is the best 2022 RPG release I played and everyone should buy it.
Looks great, and I love the character art; not just generic anime girls.

On the opposite end of things visually, another local dev's game came out of early access at the end of the year:

Deserves a mention as a total passion project / product of love. (Even if it's not the kind of love Tyranicon brought to life. ^^; )

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I had high hopes for this. Yes, it's a love letter to tactics JRPGs and it almost delivers. It kind of reminds me of Warsong (Langrisser). Unfortunately, the story is retarded and the gameplay lacks any challenge even at the hardest difficulty if you're at all experienced with tactics RPGs. It was completely milquetoast, the definition of banal, shit, boring. I don't even hate it, it was completely forgettable.
Why do you think it got such a soaring positive response on Steam? What did they like that you found so forgettable?

Expeditions: Rome is one of the only brand new RPGs I played from 2022 I think. Still have to finish it (life got in the way, as it so often does), but what I experienced was something novel at least -- the legion battles were repetitive in their execution, but the idea was cool. (I think they updated this aspect since I last played it though?)

The compromise they made between historicity and player choice was nice, too. Playing as a female PC got you negative / belittling reactions, fitting the period. It wasn't simply a net negative or "bad" choice, but nor was it completely skipped over as though such was completely normal and wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

That's it. Memoirs is the best 2022 RPG release I played and everyone should buy it.
Looks great, and I love the character art; not just generic anime girls.

On the opposite end of things visually, another local dev's game came out of early access at the end of the year:

Deserves a mention as a total passion project / product of love. (Even if it's not the kind of love Tyranicon brought to life. ^^; )

Warsim is awesome. I didn't know it was out of early access. I'll redownload it, thank you!

These type of old RPGs are a league of their own.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Lower standards? :lol:

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I'd suggest a few possible contributing reasons that are not mutually exclusive:

One being possibly a lack of experience with the genre.

Another being that decent tactics JRPGs in the vein of FFT which is what these guys were talking up, as I recall, are rare (even if I found it much closure to Langrisser).

Finally, there's the fact that not everyone seemed to find it incredibly easy, but I tend to end up maxing out tactics games if they have difficulty levels. I remember at one point, a dev had asked for feedback for a tactics game and I completed the demo and wrote in saying I wish they'd make it much harder to actually provide a challenge while playing on the highest difficulties. Later on the dev released their compiled feedback which amounted to, "Most people found normal to be a bit too hard." Not sure if they were children or retarded (or both), but there you go.

For a larger discussion on the topic, check this thread. There are a number of people who seem to agree with me, then there's Dhaze who has a lot of enthusiasm, but I warn you, that guy could sell running shoes to a fish.

cruel

Cipher
Best: Elden Ring
Second best: ELEX 2 (it gets too much hate here, even if end game sucks)

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Elttharion

Learned
Best: Elden Ring, even if I was sick of the game by the time I finished it. I really hope From ditches the open world in their next game, the one after Armored Core obviously.

Worst: Monster Hunter Rise. It was a good game and I had a lot of fun with it but Capcom went full retard with the DLCs/microtransactions and that just left a sour taste in my mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom