Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best and Worst RPG of 2022 (Votes tallied!)

Dorateen

Arcane
Knights of the Chalice 2, obviously. Not only because of the Augury of Chaos adventure and the promise of the upcoming trilogy of modules, but the immense potential of the Editor itself. This is a platform to produce D&D style content the way it is meant to be played: party-based, combat and exploration focused.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Dang! Tyranicon making me feel all guilty for neglecting to mention Memoirs of a Battle Brothel because it's not on my Completed Games list! It's not usual of me to enjoy a ride without finishing.

That's it. Memoirs is the best 2022 RPG release I played and everyone should buy it.

To be completely honest, Memoirs is terribly flawed and in many ways I'm not as pleased with the final product as I am with another of my previous games, Singularity: Tactics Arena.

Certainly not RPG of the year compared to *reads GOTY list*.

Ok nvm.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yeah, I also just realized that Vampire: Swansong released last year. I liked that too but didn't finish it either because I failed a pixel hunt early in the game and couldn't progress.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want to know what the second best RPG of 2022 is for people who chose Elden Ring as the best
Well, if you wanted to go hard into "Wrath is a 2022 game as well as a 2021 game", my number 1 would actually be Wrath. But it's not, I just can't be bothered to argue about it otherwise my GotY every year I could finagle a way to justify it as being released that year would be either PFK or PFWotR.

That aside, if Elden Ring is my number 1, my number 2 is definitely KotC2.

Tyrion8338

Novice
I played only 2 rpgs from 22 so far so there is not much choice :D

best-
Elex 2 - while being mediocre in many aspects I really liked berserker city content, that part of the game felt really flashed out and rich, I played it as first area of my playthrough and unfortunately found later the rest of the game feels rushed and rather empty, lacking. Especially the last 20% of the game feels like they ran out of budget and just cloned few quests foring the player to kill 1000s of monsters just to add 5 hours of gameplay. Still menaged to finish it so it wasnt that bad.

worst-
Weird West - something about the setting, gameplay and lack of polish really turned me off in later parts of the game so I just dropped it.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I won't say best and worst to not sound overly dramatic, but the game I found to be:

the most dissapointing - Expeditions: Rome
and the most entertaining - King Arthur: Knight's Tale

Objectively though, there were worse games than Rome, and better games than Knight's Tale.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I'll list several RPGs I think were pretty good this year, rather than just one, in no particular order:
- Potato Flowers in Full Bloom. A very simple blobber that, however, enjoys tight mechanics, and is quite enjoyable.
- Fear and Hunger 2. If you haven't played the first one, you should. It's in the same vein, a game that seeks to punish you in all kinds of ways, but that is all the more enjoyable when you succeed. Lots of replayability, too.
- Bannerlord. The battles are better than in Warband. Everything else is worse. Still, even so, it is pretty fun (in battles).
- Elden Ring. It's fun. I don't think it's as amazing as other posters ITT, but I did find it fun.
- Infernax. Simple, short, and well-made metroidvania. You'll probably be done with it in an evening or two, but it'll be enjoyable evenings.
This year was really weak. All those picks were "good", but not "excellent". Sad.

As for worst RPGs of the year, I'd like to nominate two.
- Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga. It's a massive disappointment. See, everything about this SRPG works fairly well, it has the systems it should and they work together... but it all comes to naught because the content is just that shit. Even on hardest difficulty, the game is so ridiculously easy that midway through, you can literally just march your units from one end of the map to the other. The enemies will attack them... and die to the counterattack, because your units outclass the enemy ones THAT dramatically. This is combined with a retarded and boring as shit story to produce a massive pile of extreme boredom.
- Citizen Sleeper. It's more of a VN than an RPG, in my opinion, and it's shit. Woke as fuck, with shit writing and non-existent gameplay. Full of fake choices too. I wouldn't recommend this pile of shit to anyone.

2022 brought us Elden Ring, a game where you roleplay as a kissless, sexless virgin with poor higiene who is tricked by a cute girl into talking to her and... gasp... hold hands with her.
A true to life experience!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
2022 brought us Elden Ring, a game where you roleplay as a kissless, sexless virgin with poor higiene who is tricked by a cute girl into talking to her and... gasp... hold hands with her.
She also steals your wallet/procs a semi-permanent debuff.

Realism!

Realism!
Ha, I was talking about Melina! Fia is certainly a good moment though. A goth chick gives you an STD and is a bit too fond of the dead... maybe a bit too much...

Vlajdermen

Arcane
RYXz38x.png

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Best is Elden Ring obviously. Worst is Monster Hunter Rise. I can't imagine many things worse than a game built entirely around fighting damage sponge enemies and grinding for crafting materials. It also looks downright fugly in comparison to the previous game MH World. Complete and utter failure from top to bottom.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Worst "RPG" I played on the GOTY list is Dying Light 2, which I didn't bother to finish, and judging from the codex thread here, nobody either did either.

A bit surprised since I really liked the first game. Parkour + zombies was ridiculously fun. Unfortunately the sequel was a downgrade in most ways.

Maybe it got better since launch, but I doubt it.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dang! Tyranicon making me feel all guilty for neglecting to mention Memoirs of a Battle Brothel because it's not on my Completed Games list! It's not usual of me to enjoy a ride without finishing.

That's it. Memoirs is the best 2022 RPG release I played and everyone should buy it.

I have it in my library but am waiting to play until April when (I think?) all the additional content will be in.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Realism!
Ha, I was talking about Melina! Fia is certainly a good moment though. A goth chick gives you an STD and is a bit too fond of the dead... maybe a bit too much...
That's funny, I thought you were talking about Ranni.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I have it in my library but am waiting to play until April when (I think?) all the additional content will be in.

If you're interested I would start with the next update (later this month), as there's a fair amount of stuff I want to add over time.

Outside of the backer content, it's nothing I'm obligated to. Just small content additions that I think will make the game better.

If you're interested I would start with the next update (later this month), as there's a fair amount of stuff I want to add over time.

Outside of the backer content, it's nothing I'm obligated to. Just small content additions that I think will make the game better.

You may also like:

Jenni's DONG has got it GOIN' ON

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Best: King Arthur. The Hungarians finally produced something good other than paprika-spiced foods.

Worst: Expeditions: Rome. If I hear any of you bitches dishing out the "Latin" from that game, I'm going to barf. Oh... and Centurions were black. Sure. Mhm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom