Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Best Fallout game?

The best?

• Total voters

Nas92

Augur
I'm going with New Vegas. I'm most fond of Fallout 1 really, but that game is really not that deep, the atmosphere and the technical RPG elements are what made it special. New Vegas is charming, has a great atmosphere and is as technically refined as any Gamebryo shit can be. Knowing how much bad luck and outright opposition and ill will that project had to face really makes the whole game all the more impressive.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Until recently I held the view that Fallout 1 is actually better than Fallout 2. However after having replayed them both Fallout 2 is actually better designed.

Both have their merits but Fallout 1 was better in my memory than it actually is.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
For me too it's a toss-up between FO2 and FN:V. I prefer FO2's > FO1 because the world is more fun to romp around in. The main quest is certainly weaker than in FO1 though.

FN:V should have been a shining example in how to make a hiking simulator. The highly interactive and detailed world puts it at the top for me. Imagine if we had gotten an actual fantasy Gamebryo game from Obsidian. I'll probably buy Avowed but it won't scratch that itch.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FO2.

FO1 could have won, but it's just way too short, and the improvements for FO2 was needed.

New Vegas was surprisingly playable in spite of its engine, but eventually I had to stop playing it. I could never actually finish it. The subpar combat just stops me cold. Usally, after I explore Vegas.

FOBOX had some nice titties, but it is just not quite as good FO version of BGDA. It had potential.

Bethshit version of FO? FUKK OFF.

baba is you

Novice
Based on the original, Fallout 1 is definitely better.
With RP mods installed, I think Fallout 2 is a little better.

I played Fallout 3 and 4 when they came out, but honestly Bethesda has consistently screwed up quest design since Morrowind. I don't know what Todd is thinking, because there are things that fall apart from a world building perspective and a simulation perspective as well.

New Vegas is the last soul of Obsidian, but it's a little less complete than Fallout 1 and 2. There was a lot of DLC, but I didn't really like anything except Deadmoney...

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fallout Shelter is best, biggest game ever. Everyone agrees. It is bought bigly by everyone.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Based on the original, Fallout 1 is definitely better.
With RP mods installed, I think Fallout 2 is a little better.

I played Fallout 3 and 4 when they came out, but honestly Bethesda has consistently screwed up quest design since Morrowind. I don't know what Todd is thinking, because there are things that fall apart from a world building perspective and a simulation perspective as well.

New Vegas is the last soul of Obsidian, but it's a little less complete than Fallout 1 and 2. There was a lot of DLC, but I didn't really like anything except Deadmoney...

What, you mean you didnt even like Avellone's dick jokes in Old World Blues?

...some people are NEVER satisfied....

:negative:
:negative:

:dealwithit:

Cadmus

Arcane
Fallout 1.
Fallout 2 is boring and stupid.
Fallout 3 is kinda stupid and fucked up and retarded.
Fallout NV is stupid and boring and all kinds of fucked up piece of shit software. Had I played it before F3 I might have liked it more but I just cant stand Gamebryo anymore. I can't be seeing that shit ever again.
The rest are obviously something totally different.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
How can anyone like NV? The gameplay was so awkward, ugly, and just terrible after I played 1/2.

I assume it’s got competent writing otherwise what’s there to like?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I can appreciate Fallout 2 for it's mechanical and design improvements but I could never stand how fucking inane the writing is. Every replay once I've exhausted the quests in New Reno and NCR I'm completely over it by that point and drop it there, Fallout 1 better tbh.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Alright, so Fallout is one of the best video games, period.
Classic Interplay awesomeness. Rather short campaign though. Great post apocalyptic atmosphere with its distinctive retrofuturistic tone and aesthetic we all know and love.
Fallout 2 is awesome. Stop fucking complaining about 'muh pop culture references and sheeeeit and start admitting that it did a lot of things right. It's bigger, perhaps even better in certain aspects than Fallout. The game world is more expansive, a lot more quests, weapons and exploration.
THESE are the real OG Fallout games.
So, in marches Bethesda and mercilessly rapes this franchise. Fallout was never the same again...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom