Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best fantasy 4x

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What are your picks?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Dominions 3-4-5 are the best IMO, given the other options. Nothing mindblowing fantasy world sim wise sadly.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Fallen enchantress is quite ok in my book, dominions is technically a 4x but to me it focuses hard on the combat/magic and little else, you will never be building grand cities in dominions.

Lagi

Savant
Caster of magic
compare to MoM units move faster, there is quicker start, all is better balanced, I like that each settlement give you 1 free swordsman. I like exploring the Points of Interest. I like the redesign of buildings, small stuff like Stables giving +2 production. I like the super aggressive AI (I play on Easy), which force me to build some forces early, and i cannot just max my cities, and research. This also make the power balancing important, do i need mana for combat? for summons support? is it a peaceful time to speed up research? or maybe focus on improving my casting skills, so i can cast spells quicker in next turns? I like roaming neutral monster, that force you to secure each city. I like that spells are adjusted, so every one seems to have application. I like how the game gradually expand with new content to discover: hiring Heroes, creating artefacts, global spells.

I think in CoM the common units are a bit more useful, but maybe im wrong. Anyway common units are cannon fodder, and you need to summon your magic troops. Which is very cool. Because you need to balance food, money and mana.
Caster of Magic is really about casting spells, not about building cities, which is refreshing. However I personally just love buildings tons of infantry and raze cities. There is Warlock mod ro CoM win, but i didnt try it yet.

==========
Age of Wonders 1
because Im a graphic whore i guess, and AoW1 has the best graphic I have ever seen anywhere, beautiful and super readable. I love that there is no cities building. I just focus on conquering the map. Recently, hex editing allow the creation of few nice mods (AoW+, ziggurat, evolve...), that balance the game. Because in vanilla everything (spells, units, costs, AI cheating, city options -always migrate) is out of whack.

==========
dominion
this game has a great lore. I spend a dozen of hour just reading the unit's description (i never read lore in any game). But the game itself is rather meh, lots of clicking to move your units, set up them in correct formations, giving them orders... then you just give up make ton of unit, send priest to spread candles... and win, because AI is not very challenging. I know gazillion of spells and items ... but is this really improving the experience?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Caster of magic
compare to MoM units move faster, there is quicker start, all is better balanced, I like that each settlement give you 1 free swordsman. I like exploring the Points of Interest. I like the redesign of buildings, small stuff like Stables giving +2 production. I like the super aggressive AI (I play on Easy), which force me to build some forces early, and i cannot just max my cities, and research. This also make the power balancing important, do i need mana for combat? for summons support? is it a peaceful time to speed up research? or maybe focus on improving my casting skills, so i can cast spells quicker in next turns? I like roaming neutral monster, that force you to secure each city. I like that spells are adjusted, so every one seems to have application. I like how the game gradually expand with new content to discover: hiring Heroes, creating artefacts, global spells.

I think in CoM the common units are a bit more useful, but maybe im wrong. Anyway common units are cannon fodder, and you need to summon your magic troops. Which is very cool. Because you need to balance food, money and mana.
Caster of Magic is really about casting spells, not about building cities, which is refreshing. However I personally just love buildings tons of infantry and raze cities. There is Warlock mod ro CoM win, but i didnt try it yet.

==========
Age of Wonders 1
because Im a graphic whore i guess, and AoW1 has the best graphic I have ever seen anywhere, beautiful and super readable. I love that there is no cities building. I just focus on conquering the map. Recently, hex editing allow the creation of few nice mods (AoW+, ziggurat, evolve...), that balance the game. Because in vanilla everything (spells, units, costs, AI cheating, city options -always migrate) is out of whack.

==========
dominion
this game has a great lore. I spend a dozen of hour just reading the unit's description (i never read lore in any game). But the game itself is rather meh, lots of clicking to move your units, set up them in correct formations, giving them orders... then you just give up make ton of unit, send priest to spread candles... and win, because AI is not very challenging. I know gazillion of spells and items ... but is this really improving the experience?
Would you say caster of magic is the most challenging fantasy 4x? Have you ever played age of wonders 2 shadow magic?

Lagi

Savant
I cannot say that, because i would have to no-life multiple strategy games, to make such a statement. I have 100h only in aow1 and fg1 f.ex. so as for codex standards im casul, and i should delete my account.

I can say Ai play aggressive in CoM. AI never give a shit about diplomacy and always position own troops near your cities. Yesterday i was trying to kill AI army of hell hounds, but he just outmanoeuvres my front army, and go to raze my cities on the back inlcuding the capitol. I was trying to take it back, but without Wizard i cannot summon anything decent, and common troops just die in front of walled cities with fire wall spell.

C-evo (a decent civ2 game) have difficult AI, but it is very predictable, its a conga line spam of combat unit to your cities, and you can f.ex. do a sea desant at the rear of enemy empire, and all enemy units will rally to this point. Allowing me to capture AI cities, with little force.

i have AoW2 installed, but i just cannot stand the graphics. Im playing aow1 now f.ex.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I cannot say that, because i would have to no-life multiple strategy games, to make such a statement. I have 100h only in aow1 and fg1 f.ex. so as for codex standards im casul, and i should delete my account.

I can say Ai play aggressive in CoM. AI never give a shit about diplomacy and always position own troops near your cities. Yesterday i was trying to kill AI army of hell hounds, but he just outmanoeuvres my front army, and go to raze my cities on the back inlcuding the capitol. I was trying to take it back, but without Wizard i cannot summon anything decent, and common troops just die in front of walled cities with fire wall spell.

C-evo (a decent civ2 game) have difficult AI, but it is very predictable, its a conga line spam of combat unit to your cities, and you can f.ex. do a sea desant at the rear of enemy empire, and all enemy units will rally to this point. Allowing me to capture AI cities, with little force.

i have AoW2 installed, but i just cannot stand the graphics. Im playing aow1 now f.ex.
Thanks for replying, caster of magic sounds brutal. Age of wonders does have an incredible art style in my opinion.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I was getting really mad because I saw everyone talk about "Caster of Magic" - why would you vote for what's probably some shitty clone?

Then I searched for it. They... They made a dlc? A dlc to my favorite ever 4x game? And it's... Good?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom