Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Heroes of Might & Magic game

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The only ironic thing I see here is 2020 newfag talking out of his ass.

Olinser

Savant
200.gif

Naraya

Arcane
ITT: Graphicwhores complaining about Heroes V purely on a visual or aesthetical level without ever having played the game. A tad ironic isnt it?
Look man, I've tried playing V (obviously, duh) but it just didn't feel good. I very much preferred to go back to previous games. I know for a fact that V has a lot of fans but it's not for me.

I won't apologise for preferring this
gs0315-t-heroes-3-hd-01_2612439.jpg
over this
765242-heroes-of-might-and-magic-v-windows-screenshot-gathering-resources.jpg

Also calling me a graphic whore when I said I played KB and in fact I think Heroes of Might & Magic I has the most charming graphics is ridiculous.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
ITT: Graphicwhores complaining about Heroes V purely on a visual or aesthetical level without ever having played the game. A tad ironic isnt it?
Look man, I've tried playing V (obviously, duh) but it just didn't feel good. I very much preferred to go back to previous games. I know for a fact that V has a lot of fans but it's not for me.

I won't apologise for preferring this
gs0315-t-heroes-3-hd-01_2612439.jpg
over this
765242-heroes-of-might-and-magic-v-windows-screenshot-gathering-resources.jpg

Also calling me a graphic whore when I said I played KB and in fact I think Heroes of Might & Magic I has the most charming graphics is ridiculous.

Nothign against you personally, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous that whenever Heroes of Might and Magic V is discussed everyone just talks about the graphics all day. Yes, early 3D isnt pretty, but gameplay > graphics all day.
Its real flaws, like the horrible AI, and its real strengths like the much better Faction balance than Heroes 3 are pretty much never brought up. People are just talking Eye Candy all day.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
How about you read some HoMM discussions on this forum instead of
2020 newfag talking out of his ass.

Also, no one cares about AI in HoMM game lol, V has way more glaring flaws than that and for all the talk about balance shitty tactics like suicide nuking were still very much a thing.

ToTE is still a very decent game with some highlights and clearly the best post-III HoMM title.

Citizen

Aesthetics != graphicwhoring. From the point of view of a typical graphicwhore HoMM5 is a better looking game, cuz muh 3d. (source: I have two friends who only play HoMM5 because they consider HoMM3 "ugly and dated", so they never play HoMM3 multiplayer with the rest of the squad) From the gameplay point of view HoMM5 is pretty good, I love more diversity in how heroes of different towns work and the alternative unit upgrades from the ork expansion were cool. I can even live with it's WoW aesthetics, but can't stand the junky 3d where you need to rotate the camera to see shit, looks ugly and unappealing compared to beatutiful minimalistic 2d map of the previous games.

Nahel

Arcane
Heroes 5 had good gameplay and skill progression. Horrible story and below average graphics. Still a decent game with some nice ideas for multiplayer.
IV is a wasted potential due to balance issue. But it is my first and it left a great impression. Great storytelling and music, lot of items, class for heroes, progression. Sadly heroes get ridiculous as do some items. But it had increible potential.
3 is great all around but 3 fanboys are annoying.
2 had a great campaign and was good for its time. Can't compete with newer titles on gameplay (except the shit after 5 they don't even register as Homm games for me)
Never played the first one.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Just browse this very thread. Its the same shit in green, half the people here admit to never having played HommV because of the 3D Warcraft aesthetics. Just because the graphicstyle you are whoring is less popular with the mainstream it doesnt become more of a valid complaint.
I have seen some arguments which were about gameplay, but graphics discussion is as usual far overwhelming.

Lagi

Savant
ThaCo you have valid points. We all complain MOSTLY about graphic.

Its more User Interface thing. And how much do you have to fight with game controls to gain necessary information.

the 3d global/strategic map is decline. The readability of it is worse. I need to spend time turning it around, and mouse molest each moving thing if its some Objective to capture or just decoration.

check Age of Wonders 3, strategic layer:
zoom in
2852392-02.jpg

zoom out
Age-of-Wonders-3-Golden-Realms-Review-461039-18.jpg

I wish to disable the zoom in completely. and cartographer layer to have all the information.
------------

tactical map, is a different thing. Units and battlefield are clear and combat is enjoyable. But still 2d tactical battles of h3 are faster, and you see everything all the time on one screen without scrolling/changing viewport.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I think we have a new record btw, I remember joking some time ago that I'll soon see someone on the codex calling Farcry "early 3D". HoMM V is 2 years younger, so I guess the joke's on me.
Just browse this very thread. Its the same shit in green, half the people here admit to never having played HommV because of the 3D Warcraft aesthetics.
The only person saying they didn't play V because of the graphics itt is luj1, so... yeah :lol: To complete the validity of your point, the only other person picking on V is lacrymas, so... yeah :lol: again.
Just because the graphicstyle you are whoring is less popular with the mainstream it doesnt become more of a valid complaint.
Complaints about graphics in videogames are often valid, trying to be moral gaming high horse edgelord doesn't have a big irl impact on this. Especially so for a strategy game, where going from crispy clean 2d to potato 3d is virtually never a good direction and causes problems that run much deeper than just aesthetics and V is definitely not an exception.
I have seen some arguments which were about gameplay, but graphics discussion is as usual far overwhelming.
Yes, if you take a series that is widely considered one of the best looking ever and also an unique feature of "map as an actual map" aesthetics and then switch it to typical "russian game from 2005-2010" production values then people might get a bit butthurt. I'm a bit surprised I had to explain this, but still did it just for you. And, as already pointed out above, you are overreacting to say the least, V was always a generally appreciated game and you'll usually see it called hands down the best of nu-homm.
3 is great all around but 3 fanboys are annoying.
Luckily for all of us, the "b... but the potential!" fourfags are not annoying in the slightest.

Citizen

Yes, sadly most strategy titles go 3d nowadays, and their strategic maps look terrible. I'm not talking about the aesthetical value of the map, Endless Legend map IMO looks BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL, yet it's very user-unfriendly. That kind of cluttered over-detailed 3d may work in some other genres, I love the detailed environment of Trine series for example, but in strategy games readability is the first priority. I find the maps of HoMM5 and AoW3 messy and uninformative, and it really gets in the way of me enjoying them. That's also why I love space strategy games, you can't fuck up stars floating in vacuum no matter how many over-the-top graphic effects you use lol

Silly Germans

Just browse this very thread. Its the same shit in green, half the people here admit to never having played HommV because of the 3D Warcraft aesthetics. Just because the graphicstyle you are whoring is less popular with the mainstream it doesnt become more of a valid complaint.
Then how about contributing something about HoMM5 instead of pointless bitching about other people ?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Then how about contributing something about HoMM5 instead of pointless bitching about other people ?

To take the bait here, I think the faction balance is one of H5s strongest suites. If you play on Tribes of the East (Which you should be doing anyway because of the branching upgrades) there is no single OP fraction. Two heroes are usually banned and a Sylvan unit because it is a no brainer choice over the Master Hunter. Apart from that everything is viable and has its place on certain maps. Compared to H3 there are some fractions which are very close to breaking the game (Conflux) and some are just not playing on the level of the other factions (Inferno). Also Diplomacy in H3 is cancer and is usually banned as an entire mechanic, in single player it can easily swing maps.
In general I feel like Heroes V offers more gameplay diversity not only because of the branching upgrades, but also because less units are bad and every town has some use.

The game would benefit highly from a competent cartographer layer, I concede that point to Lagi . Maps with big trees and dense forest specifically tend to hide chests and ressource piles in annoying ways.

As for the AI, the Homm V AI unmodded cheats out of its ass and takes forever for its turns. Makes the game pretty awfull for single player.

But judging from the sheer amount of butthurt I have caused it seems I have stabbed very close to the truth.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Because the Heroes Chronicles are much too easy for a veteran HoMM 3 player, I've been playing with Auto Combat throughout The Sword of Frost, and I've noticed some interesting things.

I first tried playing with Quick Combat, but noticed that my heroes didn't use spells in QC, but the enemies did, so I switched to AC.
In AC three things I've noticed that I haven't noticed the AI doing with "its own" troops:

1. If having Tactics, it will often place units so enemy breathers can attack two stacks.

2. It some times casts Haste on units after they have moved, when the Haste would have enabled them to get first strike.

3. It constantly casts Blind on enemy units and then immediately attacks it, despite having lots of other spells to choose from and the hero not having Expert Fire Magic.

I can't recall the enemy AI being this retarded when playing normally.
So what gives?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
If I were in charge I would make the next Heroes game pre-rendered 3D with a fixed perspective, just like Heroes 3. Not only will this allow the highest quality graphics that will age very well, but it will also let you play the game on other devices. I think Heroes is ideal for portable devices because it's not about twitch reactions. More platforms = more projected profits which means a higher budget for the game. It might even be necessary because all that art is very expensive. You can't get away with using the same human model for example. Every unit needs to be different in looks and animation and that is expensive. I suspect this is why they hired Nival to make Heroes 5. They did an excellent job but they were also from Russia, which means they were cheaper. More platforms might be able to convice the publisher to actually make it and actually give the necessary budget. It must be PC first though.

I would also use a different art style. I loved Heroes 5 but I think after it they should have used a different art style. I think every Heroes game should have a different art style.

Last edited:

EruDaan

Arcane
Not only will this allow the highest quality graphics that will age very well, but it will also let you play the game on other devices. I think Heroes is ideal for portable devices because it's not about twitch reactions. More platforms = more projected profits which means a higher budget for the game.

You do not seem to understand the concept of "higher budged for successor games". We're not in the 1990s where a financial success actually almost made sure that the next game will be superior. Nowadays especially if a game is "successful" and "ported" to mobiles it almost always means it will be watered down even more with even more flashy graphics that will " age well", less units, less tactics, less AI. Broadenig the marked means watering it down on everything but graphics.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I would love, absolutely love, and d1p all over a proper high-budget, top production values, genuine talent 2D strategy and/or crpg. But it really seems completely unrealistic, unfortunately. 2D seems to be reserved for "games are art!" faggy shite non-games, silly pseudo-retro pseudo-arcade games and indies, which usually understand "pixel art" as some better res atari st graphics instead of amazing creations from Westwood, Dream Forge or New World Computing. We just can't have nice thing anymore, sorry.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Not only will this allow the highest quality graphics that will age very well, but it will also let you play the game on other devices. I think Heroes is ideal for portable devices because it's not about twitch reactions. More platforms = more projected profits which means a higher budget for the game.

You do not seem to understand the concept of "higher budged for successor games". We're not in the 1990s where a financial success actually almost made sure that the next game will be superior. Nowadays especially if a game is "successful" and "ported" to mobiles it almost always means it will be watered down even more with even more flashy graphics that will " age well", less units, less tactics, less AI. Broadenig the marked means watering it down on everything but graphics.

Well, it would have to be PC-first then ported to mobile devices. I know people hate what mobile does to gaming (I do to) but if made for PC first then ported then we could get something special. For me, Heroes would be the perfect game to play while on a long train ride.

GarrisonFjord

Predictably & along with many others:
HoMM2 as personal favourite (graphics, music, setting in general).
HoMM3 for the improved combat options.
HoMM4 for the potential to be something different.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
More about Auto-Combat and the AI:

I've noticed several times that with a Hero with Tactics the AI intentionally places archers within reach of enemy fliers. I don't recall seeing it doing it with "its own" troops.
4Sgw7rH.jpg

Getting summoning spells for your heroes is not a good idea, since the AI will happily waste all 100 spell points summoning Earth Elementals against 10 Gogs. :argh:

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I don't recall EVER using auto-combat in Heroes 1-3. Why would you even do that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom