Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Heroes of Might & Magic game

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with upgrade is that they don't make sense in a lot of cases and only adds tedious micromanagement. They were introduced in HoMM2 to curb the strength of units such as the minotaur and the black dragon, or at least keep them in check for a time, not all units had an upgrade. It wasn't the best solution, but you could understand the idea behind it. In HoMM3, everything got an upgrade and you ask yourself why don't the units just start as their upgraded versions and skip the nonsense that only wastes time and gets on your nerves by overcrowding the UI and makes you backtrack.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You're probably right and their omission probably do make HoMM4 a better game, mechanically. I much preferred HoMM2's asymmetrical approach to upgradable units for flavour reasons and it is also primarily for the sake of flavour and a sense of thematic continuity that I would like HoMM4 more if it had kept them (without ditching choice-units).
There's something very pleasing about seeing your Paladins ditch their red cape for a blue and grey armour for a new shiny gold which also is at the core of what playing a game of Heroes should feel like. Tedious backtracking included.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I only played 2 so far. Very enjoyable. Damn the last Roland battle was difficult. It was only until I restarted with a dozen black dragons to start with that I ended up winning

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's something very pleasing about seeing your Paladins ditch their red cape for a blue and grey armour for a new shiny gold which also is at the core of what playing a game of Heroes should feel like.

And the thrill of finding a Hill Fort.
But I agree with those mentioning the "assymmetry" of HoMM 2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Could I love both? Like I love all M&Ms without discrimination (9 too!)?

Ok, zoomer, but can you love THIS as a true M&M fag?
crusaders-of-might-and-magic-12.png

I know I can. Believe it or not, I finished Crusaders like 3 times.

Also, why is Lacrymas so intent on being wrong in all the Heroes threads.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Because IV is the unskippable homm game, m8.

Oh, and they fixed HD + latest hota crashes so time to get back to skipping.

Farewell into the night

Comparing to the other entries, III has the best production. It's magical.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
H3 (obviously) > H2 (same but less of everything) > H4 (good as a standalone)

You can skip everything after 4

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Comparing to the other entries, III has the best production. It's magical.
II is the best looking game ev4r! III has awesome looking strategic map, but they kinda dropped the ball with "realistic" towns and creatures. It's still a beautiful looking game, but II is on a different level.
Btw I was shocked how not actually bad at all Homam7 was.
Isn't it horribly broken/bugged? I remember they dropped support for it almost immediately after release and the steam forums got flooded with butthurt russians.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I was shocked how not actually bad at all Homam7 was.
Isn't it horribly broken/bugged? I remember they dropped support for it almost immediately after release and the steam forums got flooded with butthurt russians.
I bought it only last year and it was mostly fine. I do seem to remember I got a gamebreaking bug in the DLC where I couldn't progress but by that point I already sank like 50 hours in the game and I was ready to move on anyway, especially because the DLC was absurdly bloated.

Farewell into the night

From Homm1 and 2, I always liked 1 more. I like all 5 btw. but I like even Hammer of the Gods more than 2.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Could I love both? Like I love all M&Ms without discrimination (9 too!)?

Ok, zoomer, but can you love THIS as a true M&M fag?
crusaders-of-might-and-magic-12.png

I know I can. Believe it or not, I finished Crusaders like 3 times.

Also, why is Lacrymas so intent on being wrong in all the Heroes threads.

PC version of Crusaders despite looking horrible had one very interesting feature which I never saw in any other game (Souls series would benefit for it). When you revisit the old locations (up to the starting castle gate) you find not respawned but new enemies, some weird, like vampire or ghost skeletons, with unique artifacts. The game is actually very rich but I never saw someone mentioning it.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Heroes 3 HOTA and Heroes 5.5 with AI patch but both games are great in their vanilla forms too. Heroes 1 and 2 also have a special place in my heart. All of these games have aged very gracefully both in gameplay and graphics. Check out Heroes 3 Succession Wars too.

I think Heroes is a special case where a game is not necessarily better or worse than the others. I think they are complementary to eachother as they all have unique art styles and unique flaws and strengths. Sometimes I prefer HOTA, sometimes I prefer Heroes 5.5. Sometimes I want to play a Heroes game with cartoony Warcraft 3 graphics while other times I prefer the more realistic pre-rendered Heroes 3 style or even the painterly Heroes 2 or even 1 graphics. Or maybe I just want to play a faction unique to one of these games such as the pirates from HOTA or the Dwarves from H5.

In Heroes 5 I really like the unique town abilities as well as the skill tree, which has far less useless skills like in Heroes 3 (who the hell picks scouting or mysticism?). However, as much as I like the Heroes 5 graphics, sometimes the map behaves strangely, like there is a delay when the hero starts to move. Some creatures such as the Peasant, Imp and Gargoyle look kind of strange but most of them are modeled and animated wonderfully. Good art is a staple of a good Heroes game.

The other games are not really worth mentioning. H4 was a radical departure from the series and H6 was mostly meh and the only thing I liked in H7 was the fact that the terrain added more gameplay possibilities. Some of its town screens were quite nice too but others were kind of meh.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lol, I like H5, but definitely not for its graphics. I didn't even know there are people who actually enjoy them. The music was pretty good, but still a decline from previous installments.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Lol, I like H5, but definitely not for its graphics. I didn't even know there are people who actually enjoy them. The music was pretty good, but still a decline from previous installments.

It's pretty subjective whether you like them or not. I grew up with Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft so I naturally liked them. I think every Heroes game should have a different art style, shuffle the creatures a bit (Centaur moved from Warlock to Rampart for example) and introduce factions that are unique to that game (H5 Dwarves). I also think that is why H6 and 7 failed, they were not different enough from 5.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Heroes 3 HOTA and Heroes 5.5 with AI patch but both games are great in their vanilla forms too. Heroes 1 and 2 also have a special place in my heart. All of these games have aged very gracefully both in gameplay and graphics. Check out Heroes 3 Succession Wars too.

I think Heroes is a special case where a game is not necessarily better or worse than the others. I think they are complementary to eachother as they all have unique art styles and unique flaws and strengths. Sometimes I prefer HOTA, sometimes I prefer Heroes 5.5. Sometimes I want to play a Heroes game with cartoony Warcraft 3 graphics while other times I prefer the more realistic pre-rendered Heroes 3 style or even the painterly Heroes 2 or even 1 graphics. Or maybe I just want to play a faction unique to one of these games such as the pirates from HOTA or the Dwarves from H5.

In Heroes 5 I really like the unique town abilities as well as the skill tree, which has far less useless skills like in Heroes 3 (who the hell picks scouting or mysticism?). However, as much as I like the Heroes 5 graphics, sometimes the map behaves strangely, like there is a delay when the hero starts to move. Some creatures such as the Peasant, Imp and Gargoyle look kind of strange but most of them are modeled and animated wonderfully. Good art is a staple of a good Heroes game.

The other games are not really worth mentioning. H4 was a radical departure from the series and H6 was mostly meh and the only thing I liked in H7 was the fact that the terrain added more gameplay possibilities. Some of its town screens were quite nice too but others were kind of meh.

So you like mods.
I had a long fun with H3,5, created a lot custom ERM-fueled story campaigns. Fucking 18 years ago!

OctavianRomulus

Learned
So you like mods.
I had a long fun with H3,5, created a lot custom ERM-fueled story campaigns. Fucking 18 years ago!

I don't really view them as mods, I see them more as unofficial expansion packs.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
So you like mods.

I don't really view them as mods, I see them more as unofficial expansion packs.

When something alters the balance and gameplay completely this is not an EP, this is mod.

True, but I think HOTA, 5.5 and Succession Wars make changes that would have been made by NWC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom