Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of the year - 2011 Top 10 Bitch and wine Thread!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You said we can't just say "no stramlined games", but we can say "no console games" - what do you think that sounds like?

exactly what it says unless you've decided to read PC ELITIST WITH SUPERIORITY ISSUES into every single one of my posts instead of reading what I actually fucking write:

Now, we obviously can't say "you can't vote for stream-lined games" because people have different definitions, but it's much easier to say "you can only vote for PC games".

Streamlined games = hard to define

Console games = easy to define

MAYBE ENGLISH ISN'T YOUR FIRST LANGUAGE LOLOLOLO

Nonsense. English is not your first language is it?

right mate see you it's been a hoot having this intellectually stimulating debate with you

now where the fuck did i put my life it seems to be missing

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Can't you two go sort this out on IGN or something? I keep updating to see if DX won RPG year or not and you're faggoting out on media centres of all things.

betamin

Learned
If the game is good, then I want to play, if I had the money I probably would buy a tv and a ps3 or whatever just to play dark/demon souls, this "pc better console" stuff is completely retarded.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I sure as hell didn't read 18 pages of this shit, so forgive me if someone's already posed this question (feel free to copy paste, bro). Here goes. We're the RPG Codex, right? We're here and pissed off 24/7/365 HULKRAGING because Beth/Bio/Obsidian and the rest of mainstream developers nowadays release, for the most part, total shit not worth playing. We have demands that really aren't being fully met. Why, if we are so starved for good releases, should we give a fuck what platform a hypothetical good release is on (within reason)?

Because one of those demands is having the games being made for the PC.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter

Ooh, look Grunker has a friend.

Judging from the responses in this thread and many others, that particular demand is being made by just a select few here at the codex - certainly not the majority.

We'd all 'prefer' games made for PC, but if a good game is released on a platform other than PC it shouldn't be treated any differently.

I rest my case.

You never had a case dipshit.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Judging from the responses in this thread and many others, that particular demand is being made by just a select few here at the codex - certainly not the majority.

Care to point out where those threads you speak off are at? It just seems like you are pulling that shit out of your ass to justify your console gaming habits without being labeled as a consolefag in here, as if we needed or cared about your justifications.

We'd all 'prefer' games made for PC, but if a good game is released on a platform other than PC it shouldn't be treated any differently.

I, for one, am never playing games on consoles given the PC alternative. The interaction with the game using a gamepad is way too limited and clunky. Given a game with a console and PC versions, the PC version has the largest potential to feature the better controls and interface, when developers give a fuck about making the PC interface. Bioware is notably one of the few that actually try (and succeed) at making proper PC interfaces for their console ports, the same can't be said about Bethesda.

But the problem with games being developed mainly for consoles and then ported is that they are extremely limited compared to games that are made with the PCs in mind from the start. When you make a game for a console, it's limited by what one can accomplish with the tools the console gives you (which are much, much more limited than PC's). This is what pisses people off in here, not that a game exists on consoles, but that they're greatly limited by them when we know that the same game crafted for PCs could offer more.

Ooh, look Grunker has a friend.

What next? Are you gonna call us trolls because we don't share your point of views? You've been hanging out on Bioware Social/Bethforums too long bro.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Also, you guys are taking this shit too seriously. Reading the Codex, sometimes, reminds me of Albert Rosenfield:

But never forget what lies beneath the facade:

Pure :love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

1) A few people agrees with you which makes you right even though you make no reference to whom or have no basis for the claim.

2) The people who agree with me are invissible and do not count.

3) People who agree with you make up the basis for claims whereas people who agree with me are "OOH LOOK GRUNKER HAS A FRIEND LOLOLOL"

I don't think I've seen this many strawmen or assumptions arguing with anyone here except maybe Skyway.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Oh, fuck here we go again...

Care to point out where those threads you speak off are at? It just seems like you are pulling that shit out of your ass to justify your console gaming habits without being labeled as a consolefag in here, as if we needed or cared about your justifications.

Jesus man, just go and have a look at all the threads with people discussing console games - there in GG of course, because that's where they get moved to regardless of what type of game they are.

I don't have to justify anything to you - I don't have console gaming habbits because 90-95% of my gaming is done on PC.

I, for one, am never playing games on consoles given the PC alternative. The interaction with the game using a gamepad is way too limited and clunky. Given a game with a console and PC versions, the PC version has the largest potential to feature the better controls and interface, when developers give a fuck about making the PC interface. Bioware is notably one of the few that actually try (and succeed) at making proper PC interfaces for their console ports, the same can't be said about Bethesda.

Good for you, but that's not the argument here. We're not talking about games available on both PC and console - of course anyone in their right mind is going to choose the PC alternative.

I have to disagree about the gamepad though - some games, mostly of the third-person variety and/or anything for which having analog controls makes sense - work better with a gamepad even on PC.

But the problem with games being developed mainly for consoles and then ported is that they are extremely limited compared to games that are made with the PCs in mind from the start. When you make a game for a console, it's limited by what one can accomplish with the tools the console gives you (which are much, much more limited than PC's). This is what pisses people off in here, not that a game exists on consoles, but that they're greatly limited by them when we know that the same game crafted for PCs could offer more.

FOR THE LAST TIME - I FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU (and Grunker) ON THIS! The only games I play on console are the ones I can't play any other way (i.e. on PC).

What next? Are you gonna call us trolls because we don't share your point of views? You've been hanging out on Bioware Social/Bethforums too long bro.

Why would I do that? We're having a legitimate discussion. If we all agreed on everything it would be a pretty boring place, right?

Look, this all came about because when Jaesun originally put up this thread, there was no "must be available on PC" rule. So when the votes started rolling in - some people were voteing for Dark Souls - it obviously occured to him "OMFG - a console exclusive game could win the coverted codex RPG GoTY award!!!". So he changed the rules AFTER the fucking fact. It's pathetic really.

So instead, all we can vote for is retarded shit like Skyrim and NV DLC's - but hey, that's ok cause they're on zeh PCCCzzz... whereas a legitimately great game like Dark Souls is excluded because it's not.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
1) A few people agrees with you which makes you right even though you make no reference to whom or have no basis for the claim.

2) The people who agree with me are invissible and do not count.

3) People who agree with you make up the basis for claims whereas people who agree with me are "OOH LOOK GRUNKER HAS A FRIEND LOLOLOL"

I don't think I've seen this many strawmen or assumptions arguing with anyone here except maybe Skyway.

Grunker, your entire argument just boiled down to this:

Grunker:
BigMouth.jpg

PC ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

KEEP KONSOLE GAMES OFF MY KKKODEX!!!

KONSOOLLZZ ARE EVILS!!

KONSOOOLLZZZ AREZ KILLLING GAMEING!!!

AlaCarcuss:
Avatars_Funny_Monkey_with_Glasses.jpg

But Grunker, can't we discuss this.... what's so different about....

Grunker:

:rage:

MY PeeCeeez CAN DO ANYTHING A KONSOLEZ CAN DO!

Well, except play Demonzz Souls...D.Dark Soulzz... Uncharted... Haloz.. GoW... Ningaz Gaidens... DMCs... ohhhh!

:rage:

BigMouth.jpg

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jesus man, just go and have a look at all the threads with people discussing console games - there in GG of course, because that's where they get moved to regardless of what type of game they are.

Well, just go and have a look at all the threads with people discussing how they want their games made with the PC in mind.

I don't have to justify anything to you...
But... you just...

...I don't have console gaming habbits because 90-95% of my gaming is done on PC.

:retarded:

The only games I play on console are the ones I can't play any other way (i.e. on PC).

And most of us don't, because consoles are unworthy means of playing games to most Codexers.

Why would I do that? We're having a legitimate discussion. If we all agreed on everything it would be a pretty boring place, right?

You called me his "friend" in a pejorative way for who knows what reasons. Are you Edward_R_Murrow's butt buddy or something to get so worked up because I quoted him? You've gotta keep those kinds of feelings quiet bro.

Look, this all came about because when Jaesun originally put up this thread, there was no "must be available on PC" rule. So when the votes started rolling in - some people were voteing for Dark Souls - it obviously occured to him "OMFG - a console exclusive game could win the coverted codex RPG GoTY award!!!". So he changed the rules AFTER the fucking fact. It's pathetic really.

Well, it should come without saying that this poll was regarding PC games only. This is the Codex, after all.

So instead, all we can vote for is retarded shit like Skyrim and NV DLC's - but hey, that's ok cause they're on zeh PCCCzzz... whereas a legitimately great game like Dark Souls is excluded because it's not.

And I take it Skyrim and NV DLCs are the only RPGs released for the PC this whole year, yeah.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lets make a new vote:
Most hilarious meltdown of 2012.
I vote AlaCarcuss
Now either find a new thread for your moronic discussions or shut the fuck up.
This thread about how shitty the "RPG"s of 2012 are, not how pathetic it is to force your consolish tastes upon the purity of the PC elitist hivemind :obviously:

I dig it. It sucks that platforms have exclusive titles, and people are kept from playing good games because of (possibly unnecessary) technology barriers. But I don't see why that means that we should bar console games from these polls. These polls are an aggregate of "RPGs" the Codex liked, and serve as a decent quick-reference for good titles released in the year, especially more niche ones. They serve more of an informative role than anything else. People should be informed that a lot of people found console titles a lot better than PC offerings so they can be more informed and make better choices and get to enjoying games more rather than firing up the latest shitty Bio/Beth/Obsidian title like a battered spouse goes back to their abuser.

Plus, there are enough PC MASTER RACE types that the console games would only get a small amount of votes, therefore not offending the PC MASTER RACE's delicate sensibilities to have to gaze upon the console hoi polloi occupying top spots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, except play Demonzz Souls...D.Dark Soulzz... Uncharted... Haloz.. GoW... Ningaz Gaidens... DMCs... ohhhh!
Uh.. did you run out quality titles so quickly that you had to resort to Uncharted, Halo, and Gears/God of War as good examples of exclusives?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Of course people thought that PC was THE exclusive platform too when there as Amiga and Apple II alive and kicking.
Or C64 and Apple II just before (see the pattern?)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Uh.. did you run out quality titles so quickly that you had to resort to Uncharted, Halo, and Gears/God of War as good examples of exclusives?

Nah, I was just pulling names outta my ass. Weather or not you consider them good or not is completely beside the point. The fact is if you want to play them you have not choice but to play them on console.

Of course people thought that PC was THE exclusive platform too when there as Amiga and Apple II alive and kicking.
Or C64 and Apple II just before (see the pattern?)

EXACTLY! And I had both an Amiga and a PC back then too, becuase again, I didn't give a fuck what hardware the games were on - I just wanted to have the option of playing them.

Lets make a new vote:
Most hilarious meltdown of 2012.
I vote AlaCarcuss
Now either find a new thread for your moronic discussions or shut the fuck up.
This thread about how shitty the "RPG"s of 2012 are, not how pathetic it is to force your consolish tastes upon the purity of the PC elitist hivemind :obviously:

Fuck you too then. You think I'm having a meltdown? Have a look at some of Grunker's inane butthurt posts, simply because I made the unthinkable suggestion that a console game should be allowed to be included in the polling.

Besides, Edward_R is saying pretty much exactly what I've being trying to get across, only a lot more consisely. :salute:

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Well, just go and have a look at all the threads with people discussing how they want their games made with the PC in mind.

Yes, and that's the point - there are people in both camps! Both should be treated equally.

And most of us don't, because consoles are unworthy means of playing games to most Codexers.

Most of us? Really? You honestly believe most codexer's don't own at least one console? I think you're delusional, but even if that were the case - even minorities should have equal rights.

You called me his "friend" in a pejorative way for who knows what reasons. Are you Edward_R_Murrow's butt buddy or something to get so worked up because I quoted him? You've gotta keep those kinds of feelings quiet bro.

Sheesh, would you have prefered 'supporter'? Anyway, I don't know I've never seen Edward_R's butt nor he mine - but obviously those sort of feelings need to be kept quite for fear of more persecution by the PC master race?

Well, it should come without saying that this poll was regarding PC games only. This is the Codex, after all.

If Dark Souls had no chance of winning, then why even bother changing the rules? Surely then, it would be in the PC master race's interest to prove PC RUUULLLLSSSS!!!

And I take it Skyrim and NV DLCs are the only RPGs released for the PC this whole year, yeah.

Don't be a dick - they were just examples and you know it. How about DX:HR then, or fucking Football Manager FFS!!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
For the record, the best RPG of 2011 was TOME4.

It the first betas were released prior to 2011, but only in a very rough form. Development continued throughout 2011, culminating with the release of beta 37 on December 27th, 2011.

As of beta 37 it far surpasses Dungeons of Dredmor (what a waste of $3.50) and while it's not nearly as polished as Crawl, it is already has a lot of aspects that are more fun.

http://te4.org/
(site is getting hit hard right now so you may need to try back later)

It's a tile based roguelike with a focus on re-usable abilities instead of consumables and a little bit more of a traditional RPG feel in terms of level design.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
2011's gone, I don't think there's anything that stuck to the memory except for DA2 being absolutely rubbish and Skyrim playing just above the expectations for my RPG year.
Other than that...I can't recall anything else. Fallout New Vegas DLC? I only played Dead Money, finished it once. Got kinda sick of the atmosphere - so dreary...it depresses me a bit and I kinda wanted to kill that old man in hologram so much for putting me through the beep beep beep beep boom game...then I realized I probably could just mod out this gameplay mechanics. It wasn't fun. I just want in on the story.

So GOTY prolly - Skyrim. Either that or Witcher 2 running like ass on my old PC. Wonder how it runs on my Win 7 machine. Hmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom