Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Souls game ?

Best souls game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The whine about dancer has to be a joke, right?
It's one of the most passive boss of the entire game. Yes she has a specific combo sequence that has her spazz with constant hits.. and it's also extremely telegraphed and all you need to do is just run away from her when you see it coming. Most other attacks will either be avoided or just grazing you if you hug her butt and wail on her everytime she does nothing but walk, walk creepily.

If you show some aggression before she attacks and during those "I just walk around the place" downtimes you can burn her into phase 2 really fast like this :

I like all the bosses you've mentioned though. But I absolutely can't see how you'd think the twin princes would be harder than Gael. I never died to them, whether on my first playthrough or any NG+ runs. They are extremely forgiving on rolls timings. It's a fun fight, I like the fight, but it's not a challenging one. The arc of their attack and the length of time the hitbox is active isn't comparable to Gael's phase 2 attacks or even the fume knight in DS2. These are what I call punishing mistimed rolls or spammed rolls. Twin princes make it easy to mostly stay out of danger just by pressing dodge toward their left side (your right side) as soon as they attack. There's no dodging slightly too early or something. It just works. Methinks your greed streaks were too intense.

Nameless King phase 1 is a pita of "learn when to dodge by the sounds he makes" and not something I consider well designed. The second phase is great though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
01ca8714de.png

^ sullynathan and 16 sock puppet accounts :troll:

Silva

Arcane
Dark Souls 3 winds up super-jarring in context of how everyone in DS2 can "not even remember their names" in reference to DS1 stuff.
Drangleic is on another continent than Lordran/Lothric/Firelink Shrine, no? Don't look so absurd to me. There's people in the USA today that don't know where Buenos Aires is, or who da fuck was Che Guevara, for example.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I feel bad for you if you used the open area to cheese him by sprinting away constantly.
since when avoiding damage is considered cheesing?
When it's cheesy? Sniping enemies from so far away they'll never aggro you could also be described as 'avoiding damage'. Be a man, roll into your opponent's crotch with perfect timing and punch him in the nuts.
Dark Souls 3 winds up super-jarring in context of how everyone in DS2 can "not even remember their names" in reference to DS1 stuff.
Drangleic is on another continent than Lordran/Lothric/Firelink Shrine, no? Don't look so absurd to me. There's people in the USA today that don't know where Buenos Aires is, or who da fuck was Che Guevara, for example.
The whole point of DS3 was that the worlds keep repeating, with similar figures and stories inspired by the previous one, like a 100th generation photocopy. In that context you can basically handwave any of the references.

Silva

Arcane
I feel bad for you if you used the open area to cheese him by sprinting away constantly.
When it's cheesy? Sniping enemies from so far away they'll never aggro you could also be described as 'avoiding damage'. Be a man, roll into your opponent's crotch with perfect timing and punch him in the nuts.
The whole point of DS3 was that the worlds keep repeating, with similar figures and stories inspired by the previous one, like a 100th generation photocopy. In that context you can basically handwave any of the references.
Not only repeating, it's getting worse. The Way of White turned into this corrupted church worshipping a cannibal "saint". The goddess of fertility turned into a breeder of deformed things. Oolacile turned into a swamp of shit. Demons are dead or lost their flames. Even the painting world is crappier than ever. The message is clear: stop linking the flame and let this rotten carcass of world be put to rest.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ok. Since when avoiding boss' combo by stepping away until it finished is considered cheesy?

and yet Miyazaki heavily referenced DeS, which is entirely different universe.

Silva

Arcane
Ok. Since when avoiding boss' combo by stepping away until it finished is considered cheesy?

and yet Miyazaki heavily referenced DeS, which is entirely different universe.
You mean he got inspired by Demons right? Just like he was by Bloodborne (see Farron Wolf blood). Because I don't remember seeing any direct reference to Demon in DS3.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You mean he got inspired by Demons right? Just like he was by Bloodborne (see Farron Wolf blood). Because I don't remember seeing any direct reference to Demon in DS3.
Firekeeper is Maiden in black (she repeats the same lines during level-up menu), Karla looks and sounds just like Yuria, Yuria looks just like Mephistopheles, Firelink shrine have the same layout as Nexus, Lothric Wall and Lothric Castle are Boletaria Palace 1-1 and Boletaria Palace 1-2, Irithyll Dungeon is weaker Latria, Storm ruler sword.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Best is probably one you played first, since Souls experience only happens once especially if it has been a long time since you played anything punishing and labyrinthian. Which is very easy in modern PC era. If my first was Demon Souls I would probably think it as best, if I could play Bloodborne I could probably paint a better picture. But as for now for me it's DS1 expansion > DS1 > DS3 expansion > DS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS2.

L'Montes

Educated
I was a bit surprised how close Bloodborne cleaved to Souls in some ways, and I'd wondered how much of that was Miyazaki liking the mechanics he introduced... or Sony wanting their own "unique" souls-like IP (I guess they own two now, though Demon's is less "unique" post-Dark).

He said this much in interviews:

“It’s not bad if you keep making new games in the same series if you think there is more to add to it,” Miyazaki said, adding that the reason why he’s no longer going to do Dark Souls is that he doesn’t think he can add more to it.
He seemed a bit tired of it after 5 years of souls before a different set of directors took over for DS2. There was definitely some repeating across Demon's to Dark 3, whether you think it was egregious or not (and I don't mean having a Longsword in every game).

Back in 2014, he told Famitsu, “I feel that From Software’s title lineup will need a little more variation… We have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I’d also like for us to make more mech games like Armored Core, or Asian style titles like Tenchu or Otogi: Myth of Demons. From Software used have a lot more rather quirky titles.” When Famitsu asked what kind of game he’d like to make, Miyazaki replied, “There are lots of games I’d like to make. I’ve said this before, but I’d really like to make a ‘warm’ game. Something like Popolocrois or ICO.”
Which makes sense in the light of the E3 stuff and the Armored Core game we knew about.

I'm curious how much of a break they'll wind up having from "Dark Fantasy" type titles. Maybe after 3 VR fairy games (inspired by affection for girls manga, I think he said?), he'll make magical girl Souls. Or maybe someone new will start making some series of Fromsoft games, and old Souls' fans will hate it?

:hmmm:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
NiOh cause besides the exploration DS combats are slow cumbersome wait enemy to attack, roll in, do 2 hit, roll back, run back to safety, repeat 100 times until the boss die.

Or get overleveled, tank some hits chugs potion, hit the boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom