Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
1393551434228.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

GCHQ, with aid from the NSA, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing [...] a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases

One presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

So everything was true.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol: :lol:

Ah, good old "don't let Google watch you" Microsoft. Of course, don't let Google watch you, let us watch you. We're watching better.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
On a similar note :

[Allies v Axis Pic]

:lol:

Maybe if we stay out of the war long enough both sides will destroy each other.

I don't even understand how they are categorizing them as Allies/Axis. I guess rockstar is opposed to feminism b/c GTA is all about killing hookers. But I'm not sure why Nintendo is opposed to gay pride parades, since some of the stuff they come up with is gay as hell. Why is Xbox on the allies side? Are they the "evil allly" like the Soviet Union?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
oh please, kirkbride is a ok with the shit they are doing, this is the guy that wanted the imperial library gone because they published a interview with one of the lead designers that was _slightly_ critical of toddler and ken.

last time i checked he also was giving one of his nubile female fans a good dicking. *trivia*

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Review of Duke Nukem 3D at the escapist:
Fond memories aside, I was actually kind of disappointed with my return to the game. I wasn't naïve enough, of course, to think that I'd be walking into it with the same mindset of my younger self, but it still surprised me how ultimately underwhelmed I was by the whole thing. There was a time when I thought that Duke Nukem 3D was outright awesome. The violence, the attitude, the sexuality; to a nine-year old in 1996 a game with honest-to-god boobs seemed like a revolution. In 2014, on the other hand, it's a game that feels goofy at best and mildly uncomfortable at its worst. The fact that the game focuses so heavily on captured, imprisoned and sexualized women (many of whom beg you to kill them) just really rubbed me the wrong way as an adult.

It didn't help that the Duke himself kind of fell flat for me. This was an especial disappointment because, back in the day, I thought Duke Nukem was just about the coolest protagonist around. I loved everything about him, especially his one-liners which were always my favorite part of the Schwarzenegger movies the character was actively aping. This time around, however, I wound up turning the sound right off. Granted, I did that partly so I could watch House of Cards while I played, but that aside, you can only hear "hail to the king, baby" so many times before you start rolling your eyes.

I find this sooo amusing... you could rename the review "Duke Nukem and my journey from kid to boring adult".

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
oh please, kirkbride is a ok with the shit they are doing, this is the guy that wanted the imperial library gone because they published a interview with one of the lead designers that was _slightly_ critical of toddler and ken.

last time i checked he also was giving one of his nubile female fans a good dicking. *trivia*
I think it just depends what drugs he happens to be on at the time. He's been ripping into how shit, boring and lore-destroying Oblivion and Skyrim are on his tumblr blog for a while now.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fond memories aside, I was actually kind of disappointed with my return to the game. I wasn't naïve enough, of course, to think that I'd be walking into it with the same mindset of my younger self, but it still surprised me how ultimately underwhelmed I was by the whole thing. There was a time when I thought that Duke Nukem 3D was outright awesome. The violence, the attitude, the sexuality; to a nine-year old in 1996 a game with honest-to-god boobs seemed like a revolution. In 2014, on the other hand, it's a game that feels goofy at best and mildly uncomfortable at its worst. The fact that the game focuses so heavily on captured, imprisoned and sexualized women (many of whom beg you to kill them) just really rubbed me the wrong way as an adult.

It didn't help that the Duke himself kind of fell flat for me. This was an especial disappointment because, back in the day, I thought Duke Nukem was just about the coolest protagonist around. I loved everything about him, especially his one-liners which were always my favorite part of the Schwarzenegger movies the character was actively aping. This time around, however, I wound up turning the sound right off. Granted, I did that partly so I could watch House of Cards while I played, but that aside, you can only hear "hail to the king, baby" so many times before you start rolling your eyes.

I find this sooo amusing... you could rename the review "Duke Nukem and my journey from kid to boring adult".
Funny, I just replayed DN3D a year or so ago and I found it to be pretty much just as fun as the first time. Maybe that's because I was paying more attention to the gameplay than the fluff, or maybe it's because I can take a fucking joke and recognize Duke for the parody he's supposed to be. Or maybe it's just because I don't have a stick up my ass. I don't know. The point is, DN3D was and still is a p. good FPS, and I'd take it over any of the modern military shooters the industry masturbates over nowadays.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Funny, I just replayed DN3D a year or so ago and I found it to be pretty much just as fun as the first time. Maybe that's because I was paying more attention to the gameplay than the fluff, or maybe it's because I can take a fucking joke and recognize Duke for the parody he's supposed to be. Or maybe it's just because I don't have a stick up my ass. I don't know. The point is, DN3D was and still is a p. good FPS, and I'd take it over any of the modern military shooters the industry masturbates over nowadays.

qxf9iTf.png

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28096/welcome-to-the-machine

Johnny Awesome, a level 20 blood elf, of the <Uber Town> guild rides in on a Celestial Steed and fully equipped with heirlooms.

Johnny Awesome says: Johnny Awesome has arrived, philistine. Present me with your menial tasks so that I may complete them with only mild enthusiasm and most likely a complete disregard for any directions that you provide that are more complicated than what my map is able to display.

Johnny Awesome says: Look at me, peasant. Heirlooms cover my body from head to toe, gifted to me by the greatest heroes Azeroth has ever known.

Now look at yourself.

Quickly, look back at me.

Yes, this IS a horse made of STARS.

What pointless series of tasks befitting a mentally deficient orc have you prepared for me?

Well, we are having some problems at the Sludge Fields, located northeast of here. Warden Stillwater could use your help.

Johnny Awesome says: Fine, fine, what else?

That's all.

Johnny Awesome says: That's all? One quest? Surely you jest. Are there not bear asses to collect? Perhaps a rare flower that I could pick from which you will make some mildly hallucinogenic tonic which you will then drink, resulting in visions of a great apocalypse? Perhaps the local populace of mildly annoying, ill-tempered gophers are acting up and need to be brought to justice? No? Nothing?

THAT'S ALL, JOHNNY AWESOME. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Johnny Awesome says: I will do this ONE thing that you ask of me, quest giver. Pray I find more menial tasks to accomplish or you will be hearing from me again and I assure you that my commentary on forums of public opinion will be most unkind.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Heh, he sounds just like the CRPG Addict.

Duraframe300

Arcane
By Jason Schreier from Kotaku

I realize it's more fun to get angry at game journalists on the Internet than it is to try to have some empathy and see things from other people's perspectives, but let me break this down for you.

Here are the options:

A) Reviewer turns down early copy of game from publisher and is therefore unable to inform readers about a game either before or when it comes out.

B) Reviewer accepts early copy of game from publisher under embargo, and is able to inform readers about a game either on or before release date.

The only people who might actually suggest that option A is better for readers are the people who spend their spare time getting mad at the nebulous concept of "game journalism" because... I don't know. Do you get your thrills out of berating people on the Internet? Did a game journalist murder your parents? Do you think game journalists should pirate games or find some other way to magick up embargo-free review copies so they can report technical flaws without the restrictions attached when a publisher does the courtesy of sending out early copies of their game?

And, yes, it is a courtesy. We are not entitled to early copies of any video game, just like you are not obligated to spend your money on them. If you're worried about technical issues, wait for games to come out. Don't pre-order blindly. Have some patience. Wait a few days before purchasing anything. You say "the gaming press is not telling the consumer about it until it is too late," as if you can't muster up the self-control to not buy a product until you know more about it. Sometimes you won't see reviews until release day. Deal with it. There are many things worth complaining about in the world of cold, corporate game publishers; review embargoes are not one of them.

If game journalists don't sufficiently cover a game's issues after it comes out, then sure, by all means, bitch all you want. Except - wait - game websites have extensively reported every recent video game disaster I can remember, from Diablo 3 to SimCity to that ridiculous game War Z. Yet you're complaining that the press isn't telling you enough? Because you'll find out about South Park at 3am on Tuesday instead of the day before? Because you believe that the press are participating in "the hype machine" by agreeing to the conditions set by publishers who give us access to games that they certainly are under no obligation to give us access to?

I've seen you bitch about game journalism non-stop for a long time now on this website, SneakyStephan, and I think you're out of your mind. There are a whole lot of problems with this field - and the media world in general - but you just continue to miss the forest for the distracting little trees. Get a grip. Get some perspective. Find a better hobby than bitching about game journalism 24/7 on NeoGAF. And for god's sake, if you're going to complain, at least pick the right targets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... kindly shut the fuck up.

Pushing reviews out the door is the true sign of journalism for the people.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
or find some other way to magick up embargo-free review copies so they can report technical flaws without the restrictions attached when a publisher does the courtesy of sending out early copies of their game?

This is unbelievable.

The guy essentially admits that he's a shill and says that he can't be criticised for it.

Holy shit.

Cromwell

Arcane
What is an embargo? Does he say "well I receive early reviews of games because you whine if I didnt tell you about its shortcomings, but I only get it early when I make a pinky promise to not tell you why it sucks"?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Already been thoroughly discussed in the Bioware thread.

Edit: The game journalist is an idiot (he doesn't consider that the publishers only send preview copies out so they can get free marketing from the game media, and if everyone refused to play along they'd be forced to either abandon that marketing angle or lessen the restrictions they place on early reviews), but I do agree with his point about waiting until a game comes out to buy it. Gamers are often all too eager to preorder a game based on a single trailer and some marketing hype. I've been guilty of this plenty of times. It's especially silly nowadays, when a game dropping to half its original price a month after release is considered normal.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is an embargo? Does he say "well I receive early reviews of games because you whine if I didnt tell you about its shortcomings, but I only get it early when I make a pinky promise to not tell you why it sucks"?
You aren't allowed to share your opinions until a certain day. This is fairly common in all reviewing industries (I know car makers and tech companies use them).

There is a difference between an embargo (you just have to wait), and telling the reviewer what he can cannot say.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Already been thoroughly discussed in the Bioware thread.

Edit: The game journalist is an idiot (he doesn't consider that the publishers only send preview copies out so they can get free marketing from the game media, and if everyone refused to play along they'd be forced to either abandon that marketing angle or lessen the restrictions they place on early reviews), but I do agree with his point about waiting until a game comes out to buy it. Gamers are often all too eager to preorder a game based on a single trailer and some marketing hype. I've been guilty of this plenty of times. It's especially silly nowadays, when a game dropping to half its original price a month after release is considered normal.

Yeah, but that is common sense if you're not sure about a game. That doesn't mean pre-ordering is wrong on every occassion.

I pre-ordered South Park, because I know I will enjoy it, because I want to play it come release and because I want to support Obsidian. Don't fucking tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom