Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I've played a little gothic 3. I can't believe how un customizable their engine is. I mean, all you have is a detail setting and that's basically IT. Controls are horrible, the mouse look feels like it's tuned for grandpa's ancient reflexes. I'm an FPS developer/player so no wonder Oblivion worked for me. I dont' like how clunky Gothic feels. No character either? They decide what your character looks like? Ok so on the plus side, the distant blur effect isn't too bad, and your character has animations for harvesting alchemy stuff and he actually has an eat animation. It's got some things going for it, but it's no Oblivion for sure.

I think it's weird how once you get used to a game, you just want more of it. Like I've played thorugh countless characters with oblivion, and of course use lots of mods. Personally I think Bethesda could charge for updates like wow and make my 10 bucks a month the rest of my life if they wanted to, provided some decent content came down the pipes each month. I mean, I just want more Oblivion, not another game really. It's like I'm addicted to it and I don't even like trying other stuff too much. Maybe I feel like it's just going to be a disappointment. That is how great games are though, like most sequels make people who liked the original angry, even if it's better by most newcomers standards. Just like some of you love morrowind, say it's better than Oblivion, I'm sure i"ll say Oblivion is better than Tes 5. It's whatever you are used to, etc.

Deleted member 7219

All shit, especially what he said about not being able to change much of Gothic 3's graphics options. It is a blatant lie to say all you can alter is a 'details' setting. Why must people lie about games they don't like?

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Cursed be the day they started to use intuitive setting names in ini files...

Also, what kind of retard can't find the mouse sensitivity setting and the next thing he feels important praising is the presence of an 'eat animation'?

madmole, you're an hero.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Personally I think Bethesda could charge for updates like wow and make my 10 bucks a month the rest of my life if they wanted to, provided some decent content came down the pipes each month.

Wow . . . I just hope that someday in my life I will feel a happiness as pure, deep, and all-consuming as the folks at Bethesda must have felt after reading that.

EDIT: Haha, I love how the only way he can think of in which Gothic 3 is better than Oblivion is that it has an eat animation. :)

Vidken

Novice
A lot of the user mods are flash fantasy garbage which turn the player characters into flawless bondage elves, which is a pretty good indication of what people really wanted out of the game. Naturally, a game which has better gameplay, story and RPG mechanics is total trash to these people because they can't play as their hollywood supermodel or "fursona".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just like some of you love morrowind, say it's better than Oblivion, I'm sure i"ll say Oblivion is better than Tes 5. It's whatever you are used to, etc.

I can't imagine how horrible TES V has to be when it's so dumbed down that it will repel even the Oblivion retards.

TrustNo1

Scholar
Vidken said:
A lot of the user mods are flash fantasy garbage which turn the player characters into flawless bondage elves, which is a pretty good indication of what people really wanted out of the game. Naturally, a game which has better gameplay, story and RPG mechanics is total trash to these people because they can't play as their hollywood supermodel or "fursona".

Haha the terrible thing is that this is not an overstatement. I remember when I tried to sort out what good Morrowind mods there was, I had to sort through countless ones that added enormous anime katanas and "sexy" dresses with holes in all the important places. Not to forget the Aragorn and Legolas facepacks.

Lingwe

Liturgist
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... &start=200

Honestly, I fear you will break the italics tag on this message board if you keep it up. Where does this line of thought go? People not playing right if they don't get into their role? Isn't it just enough that the role is there? I just really don't see how the lack of choices and consequences in Betrayal at Krondor makes it a non-RPG, explain that to me, or Wizardry for that matter.

Honestly, I really feel that RPGs aren't as much about choices and consequences as it is providing a stat based system for a player to work throughout.

You obviously don't need stats to roleplay. You could do it any time you want. However to define a roleplaying game, which functionally has nothing to do with compelling the player to actually roleplay, yeah I think stats are the most important thing.

Fucking unbelievable.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He means you don't NEED stats to play "Let's pretend", but he says they are needed to make a game an RPG, a real one.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Alll saw this?
madmole
post Sep 16 2007, 06:34 PM
""""""""""""
I tried vampire masquerade but due to the linear levels and being told exactly what to do constantly I was turned off.
""""""""""""

How somebody can tell this seriously?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
inwoker said:
Alll saw this?
madmole
""""""""""""
I tried vampire masquerade but due to the linear levels and being told exactly what to do constantly I was turned off.
""""""""""""

YOU CANNOT RANDOMLY EXPLORE THE WILDERNESS AND THERE IS NO LEVEL SCALING SO IT IS LINEAR

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But Vampire is very linear, haven't you played it? You can't even play a role, you have to play Joseph.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
JarlFrank said:
inwoker said:
Alll saw this?
madmole
""""""""""""
""""""""""""

YOU CANNOT RANDOMLY EXPLORE THE WILDERNESS AND THERE IS NO LEVEL SCALING SO IT IS LINEAR
Ouch, now I got.

But Vampire is very linear, haven't you played it? You can't even play a role, you have to play Joseph.
what?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Haven't you played Vampire: The Maskerade - Redemption? It's a highly linear game, though I love the XP system of it. Maybe you shouldn't mock the writer of that bit without knowing what game he was talking about?

r_vampire01.jpg

cardtrick

Arbiter
Not really . . . VTMB is a far more high profile game than VTMR, especially to someone on the ESF. It was released reasonably recently, and more importantly is a Source engine game. It was also featured in just about every article to come out about Half Life 2, simply because it was the first Source game to go gold (though not the first to be released).

Not to mention that in the mind of an Oblivionite, it really is a linear game - divided into 4 areas, only one of which is available at the beginning. There's not much room to run around (soooo linear, I can only walk down the street!). What does an ESF member care about the branching dialogs and multiple solutions to quests? Those weren't in Oblivion, so they don't count as being non-linear. They're just fluff at best, or more likely considered annoyingly bad design.

MetalCraze

Arcane
yep, and here's a proof. I know one such Oblivionite (he indeed loves Oblivion). His comments about VTMB:

"It's a shitty boring game. You can't enter all doors, the city is only 2 streets and you even can't use any superpower on a street! Use it 5 times and it's game over for you! WTF?! Shit lolz"

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Jasede said:
Haven't you played Vampire: The Maskerade - Redemption? It's a highly linear game, though I love the XP system of it. Maybe you shouldn't mock the writer of that bit without knowing what game he was talking about?

r_vampire01.jpg
Played. The guy's name was Cristof, wasn't it? I am very ought to think author was referring to bloodlines.

KreideBein

Scholar
Cimmerian Nights said:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=760389&view=findpost&p=11038690
The less player skills are involved the less of a video game it becomes, why don't you admit that you don't want a video game, you want to read a book.
I want to think this is one of you guys taking the piss, but you can't make this shit up.

I've been following that thread ever since Playcircus started posting in it; anywhere that he posts inevitably turns into a source of infinite amusement. He is truly one of the most imbecilic individuals on the Internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom