Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

TrustNo1

Scholar
Morrowind is great because of the gameplay, Fallout is great because of the atmosphere and story telling, if Morrowind made it to greatness with gameplay and Fallout made it to greatness with creativity, story telling, and atmosphere then I think it's pretty obvious what needs to happen

Lingwe

Liturgist
Behold the future of RPGs.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry11071217

I admire the ambition to make Morrowind such an open, free-form game. However, wouldn´t it be possible with the computers we have today to revolutionize the RPG-games into completely new experiences? What if a RPG-game no longer needed any quests? The "plot" of the game would be created in the interaction with NPCs with very advanced AI. What if NPCs themselves advanced in levels, gained experience, buy sell and steal things, kill cretures, joined guilds, explored Morrowind and tried to follow his agenda, depending on what type of character it is? Then an RPG would be a new experience every time you play it and the immersion and replayability would be incredible.

Would you have wanted a RPG of this type and do you think it could be done?

But would it be epic?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lingwe said:
Behold the future of RPGs.

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry11071217

I admire the ambition to make Morrowind such an open, free-form game. However, wouldn´t it be possible with the computers we have today to revolutionize the RPG-games into completely new experiences? What if a RPG-game no longer needed any quests? The "plot" of the game would be created in the interaction with NPCs with very advanced AI. What if NPCs themselves advanced in levels, gained experience, buy sell and steal things, kill cretures, joined guilds, explored Morrowind and tried to follow his agenda, depending on what type of character it is? Then an RPG would be a new experience every time you play it and the immersion and replayability would be incredible.

Would you have wanted a RPG of this type and do you think it could be done?

But would it be epic?

Actually this seems like a good game idea. Not all RPGs should be like that, but it could create an interesting new sub-genre, or just greatly enhance sandbox-RPGs or Rogue/Diablo-likes.

Lumpy

Arcane
Of course it's a good idea, but it's pretty much like "Hey I think we should invent a cure for cancer!" Obviously, it would be good, but impossible to do at the moment.

Callaxes

Arbiter
What do you mean impossible? Space Rangers is exactly like that, your a fish in a big sea, the other fish won't stay arround and wait for you, they do the exact same things that you can do -> trading, take up missions, upgrade their ships, you name it, they have 2 basic agendas: interacting witht he world and interacting with the player! It's basicly like a MMO just without the stupid bunny hoping l33t speaking morons.

Alot of strategy games have this too, the best game I can think of is the Patrician series. Great games by the way.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Watch as the Bethesda drones try to teach me what real roleplaying is:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=765364

Hey there, the dancing pickle here
Ive had OB for a little while now...but ive never even thought about roleplaying.
I read though UESP's page, and a lot of them sounded interesting. But ive never truly grasped the concept of roleplaying.
What are some of your favorite things to roleplay? and what would the build/RPing rules be?
And what is the basic concept of this strange and foreign thing of "roleplaying"?
Thanks.

Opening post in which fresh faced poster wonders why on earth people are bothering with all this boring roleplaying shit.

Often, roleplaying involves giving your character a set of rules to help raise immersion. Such as... eat two ingrediants at least once a day and sleep at least six hours a day. There's no penalty if you don't do it, so those rules are completely self-imposed. The point of raising immersion is to get lost in a virtual world, nearly forgetting that it's a video game at all.

The bottom line of roleplaying is to USE YOUR IMAGINATION. It's all about what you decide to do.

Off to a good start.

Chose the role you want to play - and then try to live it.

If you are a thief - don't pay for things, steal them! Sneak around, be fast and silent.
If you are a knight - don't do bad things. Be kind to ladies, help the poor and protect the weak.
If you are a mage - be weird.
If you are a barbarian - sleep on the floor, eat raw meat, chop everyone who disturbs you.

Of course those are only examples. It is always your decision, how a thief/a mage... etc. should be.
But once you made a decision - try to be true to it.

So that's what I was doing wrong. All this time I was waiting for the game to present me with situations in which I'm able to define my character and instead all I had to was be kind to the ladies if I wanted to be a knight and be weird if I wanted to be mage.

And you must remember, if you're playing on either the 360 or comp, that certain mods for the comp will only take away from the rping idea. I always rp, and find that it actually adds to the thrill of the game. You must keep in mind however, that some rping isn't for everyone. If you can't create a realistic schedule for yourself, you'll end fast-traveling, duplicating, and modding out everything.

*Scribbles down "roleplaying means no fast travel, duplicating items, or modding"*

All I can really say to sum it all up is to put yourself in your characters position.
I know putting yourself in a world where magic, undead, vampires, demon lords, and people who can take multiple shots to vital organs and still live may be hard to visualize, but just use imagery, the five senses, to imagine what would really be going through your characters mind before that daedroth comes rushing at you to spill your guts.

Things like this will truly make the game an enjoyable experience.

So all I had to do was just imagine how scared I would be if I was attacked? Why wasn't I told this before?

I then clarify that they are all talking about LARPing.

Be one with your character and made the decisions your character would make and not the ones you would necessarily make if it were you.

Ironically summer makes the least stupid post.

Everything you just said insults me so greatly, I feel the need to flame the living hell out of you! But then that would leave me no room to point out that yes, sleeping can have some correlation to role-playing, as someone can't live without close 4-5 days without rest. It's actually the concpet of playing without cheating or doing things unnatural. I'm pissed alittle that you say rping is useless when actually not playing with cheats or even fast-traveling actually makes the game somehwat interesting.

I'm always awed that people can somehow find a way to piss on a game, especially the way some of the people on here do, but I guess I'm just one of those people who were excited about the graphics and loved it from the start. (Lingwe - lol) I'll admit I've tried playing the game as I normally would any other game, but it sucked so badly, I really wanted to wash myself. I mean, rping is meant to spice up the boredom that some of you guys/girls obviously obtain over the course of such a boring game, you can't somehow avoid turning it on, or better yet, joining a fan site that actually has the game and opinions of other players. I'm actually trying to avoid punctualization until my fumes simmer down. I feel like I have the obligation to stand up and [censored] yell my head off at the people who are trying to sway rping like you Lingwei. Try not to take what I;m saying personally, although I'm quite sure it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently telling the truth about his precious game and favourite past-time upset him.

And this isn't [censored] fable! Doing certain quests a certain way wont change a damn thing!

It would seem that he was actually saying that Oblivion quests are linear and hence you are unable to change anything. But remember he is a Bethesda fan so this is probably a good thing in his mind.

Thank you, Lord Dren for that enlightening tirade. Althouh I have to admit I'm sorry you beat me to the punch. RPing is about visuallising your character as an actuall, living, breathing entity. Imagining their personalitys, their flaws, their virtues, their past, their dreams. Anything that you or I posesses mentally. The skys the limit, the more you can imagine [which I'm sure isn't very much for you Lingwei] the more fun you can have.

Roleplaying is all about imagining things. All the while I was expecting the game to have to make it possible for me to roleplay. I'm sure glad I learnt this.

I then reply to their responses pointing out the flaws in their posts.

Except you don't actually do them, however complex the storyline, however many choices and consequences are built in, it is still just pretend. Try don't being quite so pretentious and elitist every now and then.

This girl is really mean and calls me names. She also taught me that even if something I do in the game causes the game world to change it is still just pretending. So roleplaying and LARPing are really just the same.

Bwahahahahah!

Whoever said roleplaying was useless missed the point of roleplaying entirely! It's like those poor suckers who can't understand that those who play Guitar Hero don't necessarily want to learn to play a real guitar.

Roleplaying is all about enhancing the experience. Use your imagination to suspend your disbelief and FEEL the world around you.

The only "rule" I go by is this: Don't force yourself to do anything in particular; know your character and just react to what's around you based on what you know of your character. Make [censored] up as you go on.

When you walk around town and you just instinctively nod your head in greeting at passing NPCs is when roleplaying truely shines. Most gamers will never understand that.

You don't need non-linear quests and multiple dialogue choices to roleplay. If you need a game to do that for you, fine... But don't pretend you ever roleplayed before or you would understand.

Apparently this person thought that I was calling roleplaying useless when really I was saying that LARPing was useless. Fortunately the Bethesda drones taught me what roleplaying is really about so a lot the things that I thought were useless are actually the main part of roleplaying. More imagination - check. I'll be sure to walk around town and nod at the NPCs when I see them. Afterall, that is where roleplaying truly shines. All this time I thought you actually did need choices and consequences to determine your character. Luckily this kind person has shown me the light. I'll be definitely sure to nod my head in greeting at the next NPC - that is real roleplaying afterall.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=109

Nice rant about TW > NWN2 on the NWN2 forums. The replies, on the other hand, are a great source of lulz.

Read it while it's hot since it's locked.

In case of pruning, I shall copy the replies that made me nod my head in shame. It looks like we got an Elder Scrolls fan, AMIRITE?:

FieryDove said:
While you are entitled to your opinion I don’t consider the Witcher anything but an action RPG at best. I prefer to make female protagonists and hence won’t even bother buying it since it only includes a preset male character. Half my fun is creating characters and trying new classes/builds.

FieryDove said:
Sorry, not interested. I know, I miss out on a great many games in the past and coming in the future, Space Siege also looks interesting but if I can't create my character I just won't buy it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Make Fallout(PC) Multi Player!, why make such a great game and not give it MultiPlayer.

Now i am an old school fallout tactics player and greatly miss the online battles between complex charcters. The Producers of Fallout3 just inherited a large sum of money and I truley feel like they should make this game a multiplayer similar to fall out tactics but without gamespy.please give it it's own server and host online play.i could only play fallout3 for so long by myself and learn so much on my own but, with competition and knowledge exchanging, it will truley make the game fit to be called FallOut 3.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vault Dweller said:
Make Fallout(PC) Multi Player!, why make such a great game and not give it MultiPlayer.

Now i am an old school fallout tactics player and greatly miss the online battles between complex charcters. The Producers of Fallout3 just inherited a large sum of money and I truley feel like they should make this game a multiplayer similar to fall out tactics but without gamespy.please give it it's own server and host online play.i could only play fallout3 for so long by myself and learn so much on my own but, with competition and knowledge exchanging, it will truley make the game fit to be called FallOut 3.

Why stop there? You can add cars and have a racing game.

Deleted member 7219

i could only play fallout3 for so long by myself and learn so much on my own but, with competition and knowledge exchanging, it will truley make the game fit to be called FallOut 3.

Perhaps one of the most stupid sentences I've ever read. If I made a list of '100 idiotic quotes', that would be in the top 20.

Black

Arcane
Still it's pretty damn amazing that they consider Morrowind and Oblivion better rpgs than Fallout. Why won't they just drop dead, for the sake of the world...

Deleted member 7219

I consider Fallout a better RPG than Morrowind since it actually had C&Cs, and a non-linear story.... but I still prefer Morrowind. Bite me.

Lumpy

Arcane
Black said:
Still it's pretty damn amazing that they consider Morrowind and Oblivion better rpgs than Fallout. Why won't they just drop dead, for the sake of the world...
Still it's pretty damn amazing that you consider a single choice poll to be a representation of a community's overall opinion. Why don't you just drop dead, for the sake of the Codex?

Black

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Black said:
Still it's pretty damn amazing that you consider a single choice poll to be a representation of a community's overall opinion. Why don't you just drop dead, for the sake of the Codex?

And I bet you have better representation what people on TES forums think, eh? Damn hippies.

Black

Arcane
Great, I'm completely stuck because Hard mode is too hard
You laugh at it now, but somebody on #fallout said the same thing yesterday.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
they just never prepared for the worst-case scenario. Hope they learn their lesson. It's already been said at the difficulty selection that Alchemy is crucial yet he ignored it anyway and expected to cruise past bosses.

It's not that funny, just strange.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom