Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Fez

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Effect of Fallout 3 on Fatherless children

...Now, being a somewhat new Bethesda fan (playing Morrowind and Oblivion) I am interested in Fallout 3. However, the reason is not due to the franchise name, which I know nothing about, or the gore. It's simply a reason revolving around my father. Now to all those people who grew up in a 'normal' world and had a loving Mother and Father this will be beyond your understanding. However, there are a group of children who grew up before certain laws were in place were a Father could easily walk out on a child. Now, thankfully there are laws and institutions that track this. However, I was not that lucky. My Father left my Mother during her pregnancy and never looked back. How does that leave me? I don't know because as a man if that happened to me I don't know how I would react. That is neither here nor there. Now let me get to the point. I have never met my father or seen him. So when I heard about the fact that you can create the way your character looks and see a somewhat interpretation of what that person looks like I became intrigued. So I was thinking what if I created a character that looked like me. Would that representation give me an idea of what my Father actually looked like?

This is where Bethesda has to be careful and treat this aspect more than a gimmick or feature. This type of thing can have an effect(or affect) on an individual that they might not be counting on. So don't screw that up. Sure it's easy to say it's only a game. However, there are millions of fatherless children who will never get that chance. Sure the story may be different but it's all the same. Don't screw this up.

To put things in perspective, when your a child and sitting in a grade school class and the teacher is like put your mother and father's name on a piece of paper for some kind of crap and you don't know who your father is? You look around at everyone and crawl into a shell. Now, it is different and low lifes can be tracked down. I should be totally honest. Apparently, my Father was man enough to ask to meet me at one point. I was so irritated I said no. I don't know how that affected him, but ya know what why should I care. Now that I think about it, is it that important that i even know what he looks like. Well, choices are made through life and maybe I made the wrong one. I don't know. However, I do know that I will be having a very emotional experience when I play this game. That is all.

Incredible. The mind boggles.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Effect of Fallout 3 on Fatherless children

...Now, being a somewhat new Bethesda fan (playing Morrowind and Oblivion) I am interested in Fallout 3. However, the reason is not due to the franchise name, which I know nothing about, or the gore. It's simply a reason revolving around my father. Now to all those people who grew up in a 'normal' world and had a loving Mother and Father this will be beyond your understanding. However, there are a group of children who grew up before certain laws were in place were a Father could easily walk out on a child. Now, thankfully there are laws and institutions that track this. However, I was not that lucky. My Father left my Mother during her pregnancy and never looked back. How does that leave me? I don't know because as a man if that happened to me I don't know how I would react. That is neither here nor there. Now let me get to the point. I have never met my father or seen him. So when I heard about the fact that you can create the way your character looks and see a somewhat interpretation of what that person looks like I became intrigued. So I was thinking what if I created a character that looked like me. Would that representation give me an idea of what my Father actually looked like?

This is where Bethesda has to be careful and treat this aspect more than a gimmick or feature. This type of thing can have an effect(or affect) on an individual that they might not be counting on. So don't screw that up. Sure it's easy to say it's only a game. However, there are millions of fatherless children who will never get that chance. Sure the story may be different but it's all the same. Don't screw this up.

To put things in perspective, when your a child and sitting in a grade school class and the teacher is like put your mother and father's name on a piece of paper for some kind of crap and you don't know who your father is? You look around at everyone and crawl into a shell. Now, it is different and low lifes can be tracked down. I should be totally honest. Apparently, my Father was man enough to ask to meet me at one point. I was so irritated I said no. I don't know how that affected him, but ya know what why should I care. Now that I think about it, is it that important that i even know what he looks like. Well, choices are made through life and maybe I made the wrong one. I don't know. However, I do know that I will be having a very emotional experience when I play this game. That is all.
1212778737968.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, choices are made through life and maybe I made the wrong one. I don't know.

That's why today's gaming companies don't like the tyranny of choices - the players they are directing their games to make a choice and start contemplating "WHAT IF???" and their heads explode from the sudden influx of thinking which makes the companies lose their customers.

Texas Red

Whiner
Darth Roxor said:
Well, choices are made through life and maybe I made the wrong one. I don't know.

That's why today's gaming companies don't like the tyranny of choices - the players they are directing their games to make a choice and start contemplating "WHAT IF???" and their heads explode from the sudden influx of thinking which makes the companies lose their customers.

Really? And does this info on the supposed difficulty spread by word of mouth? Reviewers never bash some choices. Do you really believe that people are that stupid? I find more likely that a few retards from marketing yet again went assuming about the market.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark Individual said:
Reviewers never bash some choices.

Reviewers are (usually) not the swarms of retards that find everything so complicated that all the fucking games that come out lately need to be made more "accessible"

Do you really believe that people are that stupid?

Yes.

Push up against the enemy, then start your attack, and pull back. You might be able to get away with it without moving back at all. Try it in third person with nobody around, and you'll know if you're doing it correctly.

what do you mean push up.

Words fail me. Can't be true, 889977 is probably a codexer.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... pic=850331
xenome said:
There WERE exploding cars in both Fallout 1 and 2!

Its just that you couldnt shoot them so you never saw them blow up. You could only shoot enemies (and friends).

I think its awesome that you can now shoot anything you want.

Seriously, there is nothing in the previous Fallouts to indicate that those cars dont blow up so Bethesda can make cars explode in Fallout 3 without breaking canon.

So those cars in the original Fallout games COULD explode, they just never did.

This game is going to rock!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In this world of knowledge and technology there doesn't exist a facepalm that could clog the black hole that appeard after this statement.

xenome said:

Its just that you couldnt shoot them so you never saw them blow up. You could only shoot enemies (and friends).

Seriously, there is nothing in the previous Fallouts to indicate that those cars dont blow up so Bethesda can make cars explode in Fallout 3 without breaking canon.

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

what?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lestat said:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=850331
xenome said:

Wow...

Anyone got the pear?

Lumpy

Arcane
You all fail against trolling.
I mean, it must be trolling, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom