Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Modron

Arcane
So i gotta goodbye my next Witcher 3 minimap? Goodbye gps, hello boyscouts. No, i didnt mean you, mr. Troll, i thought this was a turn for my house... oh screw it.
Obviously the right answer is to play Underrail, not the hugest game world by far but for some reason a vocal minority is completely unable to map out the world in their head as they explore it.

I like how this news basically says playing Gothic makes you smarter. Like we needed scientists to tell us our taste was more monocled than the average console peasant.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What is the earliest boxed computer game?

Lord British claimed his own Ultima 2 (1982) was the first:

But felipepepe contended:

And now according to Brenda Romero, it's a 1978 Apple II game called Wheeler Dealers, designed by early computer game designer Danielle Bunten Berry (best known for M.U.L.E.): https://www.facebook.com/groups/BBPCGC/permalink/872110076269999/

Regarding the earliest boxed game, I now have confirmation that Wheeler Dealers was released in a box version in 1979 from the Strong Museum. They sent along this image for documentation. The game is not dated on the box, however (this is the complete set; the Strong just found it odd that it was the only place the date appeared). I contacted Warren Spector who let me know that he has no recall of boxed games at Avalon Hill prior to this.

Note that the game is popularly credited as being released in 1978, and it may have been in a limited un-boxed quantity, but this particular image comes from a donation to the Strong by Dani's family, and it was released in exceptionally limited numbers. Probably the holy grail at this point.

20664050_10155591056712387_5278854752157414071_n.jpg

The game was released in a box in 1979. That's straight from the family and the Strong. The entire game was sold in a box which contained the cassette and the controllers. They have the whole box, but just sent this as date proof.

Murk

Arcane
The box and packaging of the Atari game are actually pretty legit (better than modern 60 dollar games).

I wonder how much of a market exists for this stuff that they could even afford that, unless it's a "built to order" setup.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The box and packaging of the Atari game are actually pretty legit (better than modern 60 dollar games).

I wonder how much of a market exists for this stuff that they could even afford that, unless it's a "built to order" setup.

Very limited numbers.

IIRC a standard "print run" of a retail PC game during the height of the Big Box-era was 5000 copies. Modern-day releases in that vein are much smaller, maybe numbering 1000 at the most.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://steamcommunity.com/app/550080/discussions/0/1470841715960176632/

VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Australia & Germany Store Update
Hello Everyone,

As of today, 10th August 2017, VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI-, VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Complete Edition and the VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Complete DLC Pack are no longer available for purchase on Steam in Australia and Germany.

VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- was removed for sale in these countries in accordance with local legislation.

This announcement does not affect any other country and VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- will continue to be available to purchase on Steam in other countries.

Those who currently own VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- on Steam in Australia and Germany will still be able to play the game from their Steam library.

We are currently investigating the possibilities to make VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- available again in these countries.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and we will provide updates when possible.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Haven't watched his videos in years and I always found the system/accessory stuff more interesting, will watch later.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://steamcommunity.com/app/550080/discussions/0/1470841715960176632/

VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Australia & Germany Store Update
Hello Everyone,

As of today, 10th August 2017, VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI-, VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Complete Edition and the VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- Complete DLC Pack are no longer available for purchase on Steam in Australia and Germany.

VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- was removed for sale in these countries in accordance with local legislation.

This announcement does not affect any other country and VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- will continue to be available to purchase on Steam in other countries.

Those who currently own VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- on Steam in Australia and Germany will still be able to play the game from their Steam library.

We are currently investigating the possibilities to make VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- available again in these countries.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and we will provide updates when possible.
goddamnit, I knew I should've bought it.

What even was the fucking point of the R18 rating Australia got some years ago if this shit is still ongoing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom