Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Codex Year of the Donut
hgG2E6s.jpg

Lemme tell yer what isn't a meme surprisingly enough, Immortal Redneck. The roguelite progression of "Oh you died now spend your money for permanent boosts" is annoying, but god damn if the weapons, enemies, and arenas don't feel really satisfying. Played 2-3 hours and whacked the first pyramid and on to pyramid 2, fun stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rare Grimoire record breaker:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...d-spectrum-game-30-years-after-he-finished-it

Developer finally releases cancelled ZX Spectrum game 30 years after he finished it
Never say never.

In 1988, Andy "Cosmium" Beale finished work on his ZX Spectrum game, but its publisher canned it at the last minute and it never came out.

Now, 30 years later, Beale has finally released the game he'd finished what felt like a lifetime ago and, he tells Eurogamer, it "seemed like an old friend!"

Beale's game is called Quadron, a "new" retro 48K ZX Spectrum arcade game that's currently available on itch.io priced $4.99. It draws inspiration from 1980s Williams classics such as Defender and Robotron: 2084, and features fast arcade-style gameplay, with loads of weapons, enemies, power-ups and collectables.

Beale wrote the game in the assembler development tool over the course of two years and completed it back in 1988. But then its publisher, London-based Palace Software (Barbarian and Cauldron), pulled the plug towards the end of development, and the game remained unreleased - along with its plans for an Amstrad CPC conversion.

"They were really excited about it when I first showed them my work in progress at their London office," Beale said of the now defunct Palace Software. "Then towards the end of development the producer came round and told me there wasn't such demand for this type of game anymore. I was hit pretty hard by that."

Beale moved on to working on the Amiga ("loved it"), and then, while at Populous developer Bullfrog in the mid-nineties, worked on the Mega Drive version of Theme Park and the Sega Saturn version of racing game HiOctane.

In 1997, Beale moved to sunnier climes in California to work at a startup. When his project was cancelled he moved to Universal Studios' video game division to work on games for the PlayStation. Eventually, Beale found himself at Namco's United States development house, working on the original Xbox, PS2 and GameCube versions of 2002 action game Dead to Rights. After that, burnt out by crunch and with a family to consider, Beale left the video game industry. He only returned in the last few months to work on Quadron after Retro Gamer magazine got in touch about a profile piece that ran earlier in 2018.

"I hadn't realised the retro scene had become such a big thing," he said. "I'm really happy that it has."

Beale didn't have access to the original source code for Quadron, but he did have a "snapshot" he played occasionally. So, to prepare for its release, he worked with the disassembly toolkit and his original notes to "kind of reverse engineer the whole thing".

jpg

Quadron, finished in 1988, released in 2018.

"I also spotted some bugs and tweaks to address along the way and five months later, it's finally out!"

Now Quadron is available 30 years after he finished it, Beale said he's "really pleased".

"What I love about the 8-bit system is that you can do it all yourself," he said. "It's so refreshing from being a 'cog in the machine' programming big games on modern hardware.

"I enjoyed making these changes and revisiting the Z80. Seemed like an old friend! It seemed apt to release the game on its 30th anniversary too!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol holy shit is this true? https://www.pcgamesn.com/fortnite/fortnite-china-ban

Fortnite, PUBG, and Paladins have reportedly been banned by the Chinese government

Earlier this month, the Chinese government established its Online Ethics Review Committee, a group tasked with reviewing online games to establish whether they violate the country’s social and ethical rules. Of the 20 popular online games reportedly included in the first batch of reviews, 11 were instructed to take corrective action to address the committee’s concerns. The other nine failed the review entirely, and now seem to have been banned in the country.

Several of the games on the list are far more popular in China than in the West, produced by companies like Tencent and NetEase. 10 of them, however, have significant Western audiences – the list includes League of Legends, Overwatch, and Fortnite, along with plenty of other popular titles.

League of Legends is joined by Overwatch, Diablo, and World of Warcraft in requiring “corrective action.” According to a Reddit thread documenting the review process, Riot’s MOBA features “overly revealing female characters,” and an “inharmonious chatroom” – although that strikes me as an extremely polite way of talking about League’s community.

Overwatch, Diablo, and WoW all also suffer from dodgy in-game chat. Blizzard’s FPS is also criticised for having “game visuals [that] promote incorrect values,” while the review concludes that Diablo’s missions “include fraud.”

Further down the list is a group of six Western games that have been banned altogether. Many of those are battle royales; PUBG, Fortnite, H1Z1, and Ring of Elysium have all be banned for featuring “blood and gore.” While I can accept some of those, I’m very confused by the take on Fortnite, a game that’s famously devoid of any blood effects.

Another hero shooter, Paladins, has also been outright banned, for a combination of “overly revealing female characters, blood and gore, and vulgar content.” As with Fortnite, the cartoon aesthetics of Hi-Rez’s shooter seems to be lacking any blood effects, so I’m unsure as to why Overwatch has been given a clearer pass.

Blizzard and Tencent have been hit particularly hard by the review. If you include the Chinese publisher’s stakes in PUBG, League of Legends, and Paladins, Tencent has been included six times in the 20-game list. Blizzard and NetEase appear on the list three and four times, respectively.

We’ve reached out to Riot, Blizzard, and Hi-Rez for confirmation and comment on the review and on any changes that may be coming to the games in an attempt to get around the bans. We’ll update this story when we learn more.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
lol holy shit is this true? https://www.pcgamesn.com/fortnite/fortnite-china-ban

Fortnite, PUBG, and Paladins have reportedly been banned by the Chinese government

Earlier this month, the Chinese government established its Online Ethics Review Committee, a group tasked with reviewing online games to establish whether they violate the country’s social and ethical rules. Of the 20 popular online games reportedly included in the first batch of reviews, 11 were instructed to take corrective action to address the committee’s concerns. The other nine failed the review entirely, and now seem to have been banned in the country.

Several of the games on the list are far more popular in China than in the West, produced by companies like Tencent and NetEase. 10 of them, however, have significant Western audiences – the list includes League of Legends, Overwatch, and Fortnite, along with plenty of other popular titles.

League of Legends is joined by Overwatch, Diablo, and World of Warcraft in requiring “corrective action.” According to a Reddit thread documenting the review process, Riot’s MOBA features “overly revealing female characters,” and an “inharmonious chatroom” – although that strikes me as an extremely polite way of talking about League’s community.

Overwatch, Diablo, and WoW all also suffer from dodgy in-game chat. Blizzard’s FPS is also criticised for having “game visuals [that] promote incorrect values,” while the review concludes that Diablo’s missions “include fraud.”

Further down the list is a group of six Western games that have been banned altogether. Many of those are battle royales; PUBG, Fortnite, H1Z1, and Ring of Elysium have all be banned for featuring “blood and gore.” While I can accept some of those, I’m very confused by the take on Fortnite, a game that’s famously devoid of any blood effects.

Another hero shooter, Paladins, has also been outright banned, for a combination of “overly revealing female characters, blood and gore, and vulgar content.” As with Fortnite, the cartoon aesthetics of Hi-Rez’s shooter seems to be lacking any blood effects, so I’m unsure as to why Overwatch has been given a clearer pass.

Blizzard and Tencent have been hit particularly hard by the review. If you include the Chinese publisher’s stakes in PUBG, League of Legends, and Paladins, Tencent has been included six times in the 20-game list. Blizzard and NetEase appear on the list three and four times, respectively.

We’ve reached out to Riot, Blizzard, and Hi-Rez for confirmation and comment on the review and on any changes that may be coming to the games in an attempt to get around the bans. We’ll update this story when we learn more.

If true, christmas came early

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom